BfA —-> classic

General
So It seems that a lot of people have a lot of issues with the game at the moment. Weather its the gameplay, the economy, the lack of content, world quests, gearing issues or the fact that you think it’s just a complete grind fest.

I was wondering what all these people that think the game is in a bad state now but CANT WAIT for classic having never actually played vanilla are going to think of the classic gameplay system and style.

Are you expecting better loot, better gameplay and better systems overall. Or are you fully aware that your going to have to kill about 50 mobs just to get 1 quest item. If you think BfA is Grindy wait till classic.

I feel that quiet a lot of people don’t really know what to expect with classic or how vanilla gameplay actually was.

I think it’s going to be a massive eye opener for people that feel like just because they pay for the game they’re Entitled to do everything as fast as they can and get the best gear in the game with minimal effort.
I really don't understand this mentality that just because a game that is 14 YEARS OLD was worse than BFA means we have no right to complain about the current state of the game.
You just wait, going classic means that you too will join the choir on forums 'nerf shamans or I will cancel my classic account'
09/11/2018 04:32Posted by Gantz
You just wait, going classic means that you too will join the choir on forums 'nerf shamans or I will cancel my classic account'

Nerf Shamans? How about nerf rogues to stop them stunlocking people to death? (don't think we haven't forgotten about that).
09/11/2018 04:34Posted by Midnightfist

Nerf Shamans? How about nerf rogues to stop them stunlocking people to death? (don't think we haven't forgotten about that).

Never had problems in PVP with a shaman. The shaman killed everyone on the battlefield while I could just relax and feel safe.

An besides, there are no rogue pvp only ganking as back then stealth was -50% movement speed!

>implying half of the people jumping from BFA to classic will even make it to lvl20
09/11/2018 04:29Posted by Midnightfist
I really don't understand this mentality that just because a game that is 14 YEARS OLD was worse than BFA means we have no right to complain about the current state of the game.

OP doesn't mean that, stop taking it out of context. They are highlighting the hypcoritical (the minority) community today that yells about hating slow levelling, hating grinding, hating anything remotely taking longer than 3 seconds to kill, and hating everything if they don't get their own way.

There IS a strong hypocrisy with those people, of which, some of whom give their best thumbs up for classic (and yes they are the same people, I've witnessed posts by the same people do JUST that).

I can't name and shame though.
Classic is a nostalgia infused game mode for old players, and an opportunity for new players to experience more or less of how wow used to be back in the day.

As long as they don't ruin BFA completely for the sake of making vanilla a success, I don't see any reason whatsoever as to why we should complain about the addition of vanilla.
It's not that black and white.

Slow leveling is okay in vanilla because the whole game was about the leveling. In BfA it's all about end game so many people feel leveling is a roadblock on the way to the 'real' game.

For me personally it just feels like the slow leveling was fine, it's just that nothing matters: no professions, very few spells (sometimes 30 levels without gaining anything substantial) and gear being completely irrelevant if you want to level through one area because your personal level is way higher than the area level even with scaling. Rewards don't scale along so there's still the pressure to move to the next area.

Not to mention that when it comes to allied races you have to pick a random character first and level it all the way up to and including reputation in BfA so you can finally play the character you actually want to play. That just feels like a horrible decision to me. It's even worse if you have to go back to some old expansion to get that rep.
In short: you actually experience all of your initial gaming experience on a character you don't give a crap about because you were going to switch it out anyway. How hollow is that?

I didn't have that same problem with the netherwing rep (during wrath) because it was just a mount I liked very much; it didn't stop me from experiencing the game and progressing with the character I love the most. It was a side project on my main, not the whole game on, well... not my main.

So, even though I agree with the op in the sense that leveling is the most fun about an rpg, so many things in BfA are now actively working against that that it feels wrong, disconnected and hollow.
Wall of Text, TL;DR in the end

It's not necessarily hipocrisy to dislike slow leveling in retail and look forward to it in classic.
Guys and girls, the entire game is different.

It's a difference if you play a more old school RPG where combat is slower and you have to put some effort in your class, it's mechanics and it's equippment, to make it through without dropping dead every couple of minutes OR a game where nothing really matters, no one really cares and mobs are just bloated with hitpoints, scale up to your level and gear is squished into insignificance.

It's a difference to level let's say a Hunter that has to befriend and feed his pet, keeping track of his ammo reserve, manage an easily depletable manabar, has to tame other pets to learn their abilities and teach them to his actual companion to keep the strength and viability up to date, is able to actually customize in what his pet excels at, has to pull carefully, has professions that are actually useful during the leveling process, is granted a talent point every single level up which makes him a bit stronger, recieves gear updates that actually make him feel and be stronger.
In such an environment it is fine to level at a much slower rate!

Compare this to retail: No Ammo, no pet customization, every pet deals the same damage, you have to put no effort in your pet, you have to put no effort in learning and playing and become in engaged with your class, professions serve absolutely no purpose while leveling, no flavourful class quests, nothing really matters, not even gear because you never get stronger as gear is squished down to a minimum and mobs are scaling with you.
All you do is slaughtering mobs in the thousands without any effort or thought behind it, because so many aspects of the game became either meaningless, where trivialized or 'QoL-ified' or simply removed.
With every year passing leveling an alt became a duller experience to me, not because I maxleveled some toons allready and it became repetitive, no, because the game itself neglected the leveling experience and made it unengaging and boring.

TL;DR

Retail is diablo3 mode WoW. That doesn't mean it's bad, I still somewhat enjoy it, but that doesn't mean I am a hipocrite for not enjoying stuff that I enjoyed and will enjoy again in classic.
Different game, period.
Like many, I find the current expansion putrid on all most every level. Looking for alternatives put "classic" on my radar.

But, I played since the beginning, and loved vanilla.

But, I am under no illusion that it will be an alternative. I personally won't play it.

Kind of like being happily married for ten years, the suddenly the relationship has deteriorated to the brink of no return. Incidentally, you hear your first girlfriend is coming to town. You remember how wonderful the time was, how much you liked her back then. She was a gorgeous teenager. Then, you realize its 25 years later, nothing about her is the same, and there is no magic there.
It's not about fast vs. slow.

It's about variety vs. monotony.

It's about progression vs. stagnation.

It's about enjoyment vs. boredom.

It's about having goals vs. meaningless slog.
Maybe some people do need that stroll down memory lane in order to appreciate the things we have better now.

That being said, BfA has areas which need work. Some more than others. But that's pretty standard for the start of an expansion.
09/11/2018 12:18Posted by Leymaiden
Maybe some people do need that stroll down memory lane in order to appreciate the things we have better now.

That being said, BfA has areas which need work. Some more than others. But that's pretty standard for the start of an expansion.

Aren't we past the whole "it's the start of the expansion, relax" stick by now? BFA has been out for nearly 3 months and aside from bug fixes (which let's be honest should have been fixed before the expansion released!) nothing has really changed.
By now I am pretty sure its not just nostaglia, its some kind of delusional problem that needs professional help...

I had People tell me that having to wait for a GM to trade BOP loot from raids was super awesome to get connected to your community...

I had Paladin players tell me that being a Buff bot having to buff all 40 raid members plus pets and once you finished you could start over again was the hight of Paladin gameplay...

I had people tell me how being an out of combat resser in Molten Core was the most awesome experience ever...

I had people telling me that having to loot each singel mob one by one was super immersive...

Seriously, these people live in some kind of denial or stockholm syndrom or whatever...
09/11/2018 12:22Posted by Midnightfist

Aren't we past the whole "it's the start of the expansion, relax" stick by now? BFA has been out for nearly 3 months and aside from bug fixes (which let's be honest should have been fixed before the expansion released!) nothing has really changed.

No we're not past that point, because we're still many patches to go.

Cataclysm was kinda bad in terms of gameplay until Firelands too. But after that scaling and some changes made it enjoyable. Generally the first tier is usually very underwhelming because we don't have the secondary stats to have fluid gameplay yet.

There are more glaring flaws now, for sure, but nothing not fixable.
09/11/2018 12:22Posted by Midnightfist

If they keep what they promised for 8.1. I would say they fixed the biggets issues...

So whats your point?
Noone who acually played WoW for some time expected changes before 8.1.
I will play classic and 100% sure, because of im the one old players miss old talent tree
At the moment it is hard going with the BFA crap
im not lvl any character to a 120 or even do any content, because i believe it is crap
I wish the Blizz don't change the talent tree but what the heck some ppl likes some don't.
my sub ends soon
sya all on the summer for the classic rework

who cares if they nerf them as long as they dont touch windfurry totem :) so they can buff up real dps aka rogues/warriors :)

but on more serious note - a lot of people have no clue what they are getting into and i do admit i will enjoy the inevitable !@#$show here on forums which will start like 1 week into classic release
i just cant imagine classic staying popular for very long , sure logging on to do AV now and again will be fun ... but other than that ... it will be pretty dated content and boring to boot.

just think of all those resources put into classic which could of been used in a new mobile game..