Connect/merge realms, please

General
The situation on many servers is dire for at least one faction. And it's not even because of BFA drop off, it's been an issue for years. If I remember correctly, devs were saying that they're testing some new technology to address these problems, but nothing has been done or announced.

And it's not the issue of not seeing lots of people in the world - I think we all got used to sharding at this point and don't really care about the world (which is bad, but that's what we have). The issue is that plenty of realms have no real choice in terms of guilds. We hang on to whatever is left, but that's often a mix of people with different goals.

Blizzard - you're trying to preserve this game, but you don't even touch a problem that lots of servers have. And counting on them to pay a thousand $ to transfer their full list of chars is not a good move either.
Don't we pay enough alreadt to play it and expect an actual care for our fun?

Blizz, do something already.
i agree 100%. They should remove many realms from the list with low population and merge them. We want to see others when we play. its the most fundamental aspect of an MMO RPG
14/11/2018 13:19Posted by Zinghai
i agree 100%. They should remove many realms from the list with low population and merge them. We want to see others when we play. its the most fundamental aspect of an MMO RPG

Most of the realms are merged, they still get listed as separate realms. The issue is that when they got merged people still left to go to the big realms. It's the same logic where people think only the top class is viable and the rest are trash.

Saying that they should make new connections.
@Ishodin: Unfortunately there has been no new info, despite myself and several other forum actives trying to get related questions into Q&As multiple times by now... :(:(:(

Certain realms would indeed massively benefit from (additional) connections.
14/11/2018 15:15Posted by Trelw
@Ishodin: Unfortunately there has been no new info, despite myself and several other forum actives trying to get related questions into Q&As multiple times by now... :(:(:(

Certain realms would indeed massively benefit from (additional) connections.

When i was in sporeggar there was a population of around 10 ppl. And Blizz never merged anything... I fear they never will change the policy now with sharding active.
10 people?
14/11/2018 15:34Posted by Telriem
10 people?

It was an hyperbole :). But it was the most dead realm when i played around end wotlk
14/11/2018 15:36Posted by Tèsla
10 people?

It was an hyperbole :). But it was the most dead realm when i played around end wotlk

Ohhhh XD
i have an alliance character in Stormscale. I am actually the only player in Boralus.
Many of us have been crying out for this for a long long time and with the introduction of warmode faction balance on a realm doesn't matter one single jot anymore.
That leaves only names as a potential problem but i don't believe that is much of a problem considering that even now we have 'Dave-Outland' or 'Dora-Ravencrest' so c'mon Blizz sort it out.
14/11/2018 15:36Posted by Tèsla
10 people?

Actually the opposite of hyperbole, litotes.
Yup, more connections are needed.
From my point of view, this is one of things that is hurting the game the most but because is not as visible as class balance, x mog limitations and so on, it gets ignored by the player base and Blizzard.

I dont know how hard it is to connect more realms, what i know for sure, is that it would benefit the game in a massive way.

Much more then most of the issues alot of people complain about in the forums.

After so many years why havent this been done? The damage it makes to the game surelly beats the money from transactions.
People leaving the game is always a snowball effect, many leave because others did.

edit: typo
Dead realms are no fun. I moved to a busy one after blizzard ignored and let my realm die. I sympathise with everyone who end up in that situation.
I was expecting them to a merge before BfA launch, but that didn't happen. Not sure if they'll do it in the middle of the expansion, but dead realms have big issues such as being restricted to very limited number of guilds and having a stagnant AH. They really should do another realm merge to bring life to dead realms.
Oddly enough I remember the story of Sporregar realm back in WotLK. Am I right in thinking there was a player driven effort to repopulate the realm. I remember people saying they didn't want to leave the realm and they certainly didn't want to pay Blizzard to xfer somewhere else. What happened in the end? Did it end up with free transfers? Or was it one of the spill offs from the heavy pop realms like Silvermoon?
@Lynchburg: Sporeggar became part of the RP-PvP 5-way with the other RP-PvP realms during the original Connected Realms-program and remains as a part of that RP 5-way today. In terms of size, it is still tiny. If my calculations are correct, it is currently home to about 150 to 250 horde players and slightly bigger number of alliance ones. Naturally, since Defias Brotherhood is so big in comparison, Sporeggar is not in trouble as such... but Sporeggarians are a RARE breed. :D
Sharding does not affect the AH and on a lot of realms an AH scan brings up about 2-3000 items. Not different items, just items.
14/11/2018 21:39Posted by Trelw
@Lynchburg: Sporeggar became part of the RP-PvP 5-way with the other RP-PvP realms during the original Connected Realms-program and remains as a part of that RP 5-way today. In terms of size, it is still tiny. If my calculations are correct, it is currently home to about 150 to 250 horde players and slightly bigger number of alliance ones. Naturally, since Defias Brotherhood is so big in comparison, Sporeggar is not in trouble as such... but Sporeggarians are a RARE breed. :D

Proudly sporeggarian! I choose it because i never knew what rppvp meant. I thought it had many things inside... 1st day of wow.
Merge realms ?? And have them take away the pay for a realm transfer option. ?? We can only dream.

Blizzard strategically have new player play on low pop realms and by the time they realise this their too invested to start again so they have no choice but to pay for a transfer.

The hamster wheel keeps turning.