Brewmaster Soloable?

Monk
So I levelled a monk up to 120 as a tank, along with a blood DK, vengeance DH, prot Pala. And I noticed very quickly that my monk is having significantly more troubles soloing a few adds, compared to my other tanks. It's horrible because I love tanking with monks in dungeons, but I feel like they're depending too much on a healer. Will this problem be solved once I gear her up more? It's sad, because my other tanks had no problems slicing through everything, even after freshly dinging.
I've also freshly dinged 120 and from what I can tell BM is absolutely fine. I tanked the Lion's Roar and had a full stagger bar for it, just clearing off loads of damage with purifying brew...

Adds-wise I don't see a problem either. I seem pretty hardy, but I'm running Healing Elixir for 15% heals every now and then so that might be why (it's meant to be a sub-optimal tanking talent for actual content, but I like its flexibility).

That said I am not very experienced with monks yet so hopefully someone else gives a better response.
No. You won't be able to solo stuff because you don't get enough orbs and you cant spend all your energy on vivify. All 3 other tanks you have are far better at soloing stuff. Monk is the best at kiting but the damage taken is the largest by a mile - we take full damage from everything - while the selfhealing is the lowest, just above warrior.
13/10/2018 16:06Posted by Chunchunmaru
No. You won't be able to solo stuff because you don't get enough orbs and you cant spend all your energy on vivify. All 3 other tanks you have are far better at soloing stuff. Monk is the best at kiting but the damage taken is the largest by a mile - we take full damage from everything - while the selfhealing is the lowest, just above warrior.

This, even with the Azerite Trait you won't spawn enough balls to slurp them up.

Also, Brewmasters are most likely going to get nerfed because apparently they have too much survivability which is bogus.
15/10/2018 04:22Posted by Valréan

Also, Brewmasters are most likely going to get nerfed because apparently they have too much survivability which is bogus.

It's not bogus. Brewmasters are fantastic raid tanks atm. People just get tricked by looking at numbers after a fight and seeing Brewmasters taking much more damage than other tanks, not realizing it's stagger. There is a reason they are so popular for mythic progression. You might take more damage overall than other tanks, but it's predictable and smooth, and you can cheese through one-shot mechanics and just purify your stagger,

Blizzard does not balance tanks around their ability to solo content. Brewmasters are extremely strong in a proper environment, with a healer. They are just bottom tier when it comes to self sustain, and that's the main reason I'm not playing my Brewmaster that much. I love pretty much everything else about the spec, but having no decent self sustain is a dealbreaker.

@OP:
If you want a tank with good self sustain, DK, DH and Pala are just superior to monks and I don't think that is going to change as it's just the basic design of those classes.
15/10/2018 21:03Posted by Petergrippín
15/10/2018 04:22Posted by Valréan

It's not bogus. Brewmasters are fantastic raid tanks atm. People just get tricked by looking at numbers after a fight and seeing Brewmasters taking much more damage than other tanks, not realizing it's stagger. There is a reason they are so popular for mythic progression. You might take more damage overall than other tanks, but it's predictable and smooth, and you can cheese through one-shot mechanics and just purify your stagger,

Blizzard does not balance tanks around their ability to solo content. Brewmasters are extremely strong in a proper environment, with a healer. They are just bottom tier when it comes to self sustain, and that's the main reason I'm not playing my Brewmaster that much. I love pretty much everything else about the spec, but having no decent self sustain is a dealbreaker.

@OP:
If you want a tank with good self sustain, DK, DH and Pala are just superior to monks and I don't think that is going to change as it's just the basic design of those classes.

What did blizzard expect though?
I mean, i’m not a game designer obviously, but even i could in a drunken state figuered out that monks would be strong raid tanks (well they’ve always been, but extra this time).
Why?
Because blizzard decided to make magic mitigation go away more or less, and heavily focus on physical damage in this expansion.

Monks weakness has always been magic, Low health, worst magic mitigation/CD’s and second worst self-sustain (which also happens to be RNG based).
But we have always been the strongest against large physical damage.

So it is bogus, in raids we’re strong because our AM makes us thrive there, and also having plenty of healers and HoTs on you (Celestial Fortune).

But we’re far from as strong as some self-sustain tanks in M+, especially with ”wrong” healers.
So we deserve a nerf simply because monks are preferable in Mythic raids?

Guardian druids were pretty much mandatory all throughout Legion, ESPECIALLY in Mythic raiding.

DK tanks were mandatory in M+, atleast on a competetive level.
Every MDI team had one.

Yet now it’s not bogus to nerf Brewmaster, simply cause they’re doing well?
Get out of here.

But i’ll tell you what, give monks some self-sustain, and then i would not mind maybe some tweaks on stagger, then you can come back and discuss.