Why is PVP community so toxic?

Arenas
14/10/2018 08:21Posted by Jaskol
I guess 80% of QQers on pvp forum are casulas that dont even know how to play their class and while they got melted by any other player they blaming Blizzard and beg for nerfs.

Yes, everyone listen to the 100+ win WW without 1550
because you most likely lied when they asked you for 1,2k cr min required
Dodge lfg groups labeled :lf people with brain. Dont be retard....etc.
These are worst. Im capping only healer atm dont have time for lfg as dps.
15/10/2018 02:11Posted by Moogle
Because a lot of these people have little else going for them in life outside wow. They sit around doing high stimulus activities rewarding instant gratification, these activities drain the dopamine in their brains all day long and it eventually causes them to become angry and toxic as their ability to experience joy slowly decreases. Human brains didn't evolve to function in such an over stimulating environment. Their irl then gets worse and worse too, as they have no motivation outside of wow and sitting around eating junk food and watching raunchy videos for kicks becomes their life. They need highly stimulating activities to just feel alive, losing in wow is a big deal to them as their brain is messed up. In game saltiness increases as their minimum threshold for experiencing pleasure is now higher due to oversaturation of their dopamine receptors. Same thing happens in drug addiction.

There was a study on mice where they removed dopamine from the mouses brain. The mouse had a cage full of food but just lay there and died, it had no motivation to even move. Dopamine is a main reason why people get addicted to video games, sugar, "tube sites" ;) etc and there is plenty of evidence to support it. It is probably why blizzard use rng loot too and refuses to change as there is research showing rng can cause a greater dopamine spike increasing addiction likelihood.

Ever been shaking or jittery while playing an intensive moment in a video game? That's caused by epinephrine (adrenaline), which is actually synthesised from dopamine in the brain. Excessive stress hormone production can also further deplete dopamine.

As the loading screen says "take all things in moderation, even world of warcraft"

thank you for this.i learned a lot while reading your post and understood more why sometimes i get toxic too when uder a lot of stress.
14/10/2018 02:12Posted by Emberfall
dunkey said it well on his quitting league video

the root of toxicity is the game

it just isn't fun and it pisses people off

Ever heard of uninstalling?

Ah, nevermind, addiction and nothing else in their little lifes, no wonder they keep subs up.
I have my own theory on this, in my opinion a lot of this has to do with competitive nature as someone said but also making arena achievements account wide caused people go get huge egos, I know you are thinking wtf are you talking about, but think about it, someone get their first 2k in 3s on say a warrior, they now consider themselves a 2k player, when in reality they are only a 2k warrior, so you get people who reroll but still consider themselves a 2k player, say our warrior rerolls to something completely different.. say a disc priest, that person (or atleast 90% of people) will now advertise himself as a 2k exp disc, even though he has the class knowledge of a 1500 disc or possibly even less, say he joins a group of dps that have 1800k exp, when they lose and you know they do... he then blames the DPS because he is a 2k player and they are 1800 exp dps, when in reality hes a 1500 or less disc and only a 2k warrior, does this make sense now? you have people doing this with every single class in the game now, its actually impossible to trust peoples achievements and exp these days, but obviously there are some people out there that are as good on that class as the achvi's they link, but honestly.. its rare, I had a hunter link 2.4k recently, we played he struggled to land traps off my bash because of his game awareness was not there he would stay in the fight when they use burst cds and face tank the dmg instead of kiting away etc, basically this happene's a lot in LFG and i'm speaking from experience of encountering these types of people. people need to realise 2k on warrior is not 2k on disc or any other class in the game, and when you reroll you are now at an exp of 0 on that class, and when you lose games even though sometimes it might not have been entirely your fault, your lack of experience on that class played a part, own up to it and learn from it instead of blaming everyone else around you.
Because a lot of these people have little else going for them in life outside wow. They sit around doing high stimulus activities rewarding instant gratification, these activities drain the dopamine in their brains all day long and it eventually causes them to become angry and toxic as their ability to experience joy slowly decreases. Human brains didn't evolve to function in such an over stimulating environment. Their irl then gets worse and worse too, as they have no motivation outside of wow and sitting around eating junk food and watching raunchy videos for kicks becomes their life. They need highly stimulating activities to just feel alive, losing in wow is a big deal to them as their brain is messed up. In game saltiness increases as their minimum threshold for experiencing pleasure is now higher due to oversaturation of their dopamine receptors. Same thing happens in drug addiction.

There was a study on mice where they removed dopamine from the mouses brain. The mouse had a cage full of food but just lay there and died, it had no motivation to even move. Dopamine is a main reason why people get addicted to video games, sugar, "tube sites" ;) etc and there is plenty of evidence to support it. It is probably why blizzard use rng loot too and refuses to change as there is research showing rng can cause a greater dopamine spike increasing addiction likelihood.

Ever been shaking or jittery while playing an intensive moment in a video game? That's caused by epinephrine (adrenaline), which is actually synthesised from dopamine in the brain. Excessive stress hormone production can also further deplete dopamine.

As the loading screen says "take all things in moderation, even world of warcraft"

You are trying to diagnose a large group of people that you don't know with gaming addiction.

When trying to find the common denominator for a behaviour among a large diverse group of people i'd say you should instead look at the one common thing they all have. The game itself. I think it's about how the game is designed, pick up groups and anonymity that follows with it. There's no social risks when it comes to raging at a stranger.

Then you can throw in some dunning-kruger effects to it all and it becomes even juicier.
15/10/2018 07:49Posted by Ghazpeshi
14/10/2018 08:21Posted by Jaskol
I guess 80% of QQers on pvp forum are casulas that dont even know how to play their class and while they got melted by any other player they blaming Blizzard and beg for nerfs.

I think that they are playing other classes than human female/elf female disc priest/assa rogues and is pissed off they have to do 100 times the work of these assa rogues/disc priest cutie xoxo qt players to reach the same ratings, thats propably why the community is toxic.

I tried to do 2v2 (PRE NERF OUTLAW ROGUE ERA EARLIER IN BFA I DONT KNOW HOW 2v2 IS NOW) but after meeting a qt xoxo look at me im cute and wear goggles fotm in every game that got carried by their own class while i who tried to enjoy my ele shaman in 2v2 got slaughtered by people who even used 1 combo point on pistol stun and other garbage mistakes yet nothing happened because Blizzard usually makes two-three specs so easy to be picked up by these cuties xoxoxoxoxoox people, i gave up arena and decided to stay a betamale in the wild pvp community.

I heard 3v3 is the same garbage and that rmp is destroying it but ive never touched it.

But as i often see these qts post on the forums telling people to l2p i can pretty much see that even 3v3 got this problem with some specs and classes that itself gives them free ratings.

Ive noticed that fotms nowadays usually tries to be cute with their names and race choices, what happened? Back in the days the fotmplayers used to be undead males with a mohawk.

Yeah man, human so fotm, actually insane racial
14/10/2018 02:12Posted by Emberfall
dunkey said it well on his quitting league video

the root of toxicity is the game

it just isn't fun and it pisses people off

this is probably the furthest from truth u can get .

calling wow pvp toxic? try league of legends, fortnite, fifa every other moba game.

Its the gaming community when it comes to rated pvp that is toxic not only wow
I never have encountered toxic pvp players. Only short minded people ;-)

So basically they're all Slaanesh Cultists towards the terminal stage where they need to cut off their own limbs to FEEL something.
I guess it’s simple. Many people are toxic by nature, but they have to hide it to avoid negative consequences. In an anonymous environment people can be who they really are. Just look at any anonymous social media for example.
Furthermore, pvp attracts toxic people since they can dominate over other people which fuels them in some way.
Simply put, Because there is no accountability or consequences for behaviour anymore. Back in WOTLK if you acted like a dick it wouldn't take long for that to become known in your servers community and you would be shut out of top end content.
Now there are no server communities left. Why would people care about "Randomguyx" from "NotMyServer" when you're more than likely never going to see them again outside of your current activity.
Because no one enjoys arena, yet everyone plays it for some reason
I don't think WoW is too toxic. Arena, at least.

I think the community in general think that being called out for doing something wrong is toxicity.

If you don't get called out for stuff, and you can't see yourself that you are doing something wrong, then you're gonna stay bad. 'Toxicity' points out what people are doing wrong and can help them improve. Sometimes. Or they're gonna claim they are the best and are playing everything perfectly but still cant get that 1750 achievement because they can't find 'non-toxic' players with good experience to play with them.

BGs are a different story, and I think it all comes down to frustration, queueing for 15 mins then playing for 15 mins to get a loss and nothing at all ain't fun. It's why League of Legends is toxic too. Long games that you lose are gonna frustrate you and you're gonna take it out on people. Just life.
The most toxic thing in PvP are kids who /spit and /lol at you in arena after they defeat you. Forums are not a community, just a bunch of spergs.
16/10/2018 18:06Posted by Androme
The most toxic thing in PvP are kids who /spit and /lol at you in arena after they defeat you. Forums are not a community, just a bunch of spergs.

i do this on every hunter+druid and rsham/mw dh in 2s ;(
16/10/2018 18:06Posted by Androme

I do this when I win on my lock vs a mongo melee cleave who tunneled me the entire game.

But that's only because it's funny when someone Steven Hawking-like beats someone Connor McGregor-like in an MMA ring. If you catch my drift.

Also, how is this toxic? It's BM at worst.
Trash game creates toxic player base. Surprised i can still use the forums, i cancelled my sub a while ago.
In my opinion it has to do with the LFG tool and the Cross realm feature as well.
Back in Wotlk I used to play on a low/medium populated server and you simply couldn't afford to be that toxic as everyone knew each other.
If you behaved like a dick, no one would play with you anymore. Same goes for PVE.

These days it's completely different. No one knows each other and if you want to be toxic and leave the group you will find someone else within 15 seconds.

Funny how people are chill after 3-4 wins in a row but go full rage toxic on the first lose because you missed a dispell or so. They rage, insult and instant leave the group. There is no community left.

Also, the same goes for PvE.