Vanilla wow had sharding

Classic Discussion
I don't understand all the vitriol. From my reading of what Blizzard said is that they are thinking about possible sharding for the initial release only. Personally I won't find sharding due to 400 level 3 humans in Northshire to be a problem. However I would find it to be a problem if any sort of sharding is done outside of the starting zones.

Some people just seem to have the mindset that classic will not be what they want so they are finding any little thing to complain about.

I played wow from day 1 of release in europe until wotlk 3.1, tried it again in cata then quit, came back once in mists and once in legion to see what it was like, both times hitting max level then quitting again. I don't have BFA, I prefer to play on private servers, I am certainly not a retail fan boy. Wow classic is what I want to play, when it releases I will play it, if it is as enjoyable as the first time around then I will stick with it, if I don't enjoy it I will quit.
03/11/2018 15:12Posted by Trajan
I'd rather the launch was awful.

Ok, fine, just like it was at Vanilla launch.

But don't you have concerns new players and a lot of old ones as well will hate it, and instantly give Classic a bad reputation? Don't you want it to be a success?

Or do you want a bad launch, so only the true Vanilla fans are staying? And those that don't like it can just quit? You don't seem like that type of person to me, but I would still like to ask.
03/11/2018 15:50Posted by Kagemoth
03/11/2018 15:43Posted by Eulalia

I looked at it yesterday already. Yeah it looks really weird. But my spontane thought wasn't sharding.

To me it looks like these people got kicked off the server, because the time limit allowed for playing the demo was reached.

So how do you know this wasn't the case?

Nice troll.

That was the most obvious example of sharding you could get.

Don't blame me for troll, please. Just answer my question, ok?
POLL:

https://strawpoll.com/7wh9s6y6

PETITION:

https://www.change.org/p/blizzard-no-sharding-no-excuses-no-matter-what-no-sharding?recruiter=852399498&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial.pacific_abi_gmail_send.variation.pacific_abi_select_all_contacts.select_all.pacific_email_copy_en_gb_4.v1.pacific_email_copy_en_us_3.control.pacific_post_sap_share_gmail_abi.gmail_abi.pacific_email_copy_en_us_5.v1.lightning_share_by_medium_message.control.lightning_2primary_share_options_more.variant
OP is simply crazy.

Or extremely stupid.
03/11/2018 15:57Posted by Eulalia
Just answer my question, ok?

My answer was that you have to be trolling and that it was VERY obvious sharding.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt though. I will also assume you have a few friends. Go online, and group with a friend. Notice how the people dissapear and appear around you.

This is the exact same thing.

Here you go:
https://youtu.be/8fo54YP3Bic?t=207

I personally have a strong dislike for servers with several thousands of players on them at once, but seeing as population will drop over time and server merging is equally as bad if not worse than the sharding used in the demo, so we will need a compromise.

I propose that zone sharding should only be implemented for the 1-10 zones, and the amount of people a zone can hold before it starts sharding should be relatively high. Instead of automatically taking you to the shard of the party leader, you should be able to right click your party leader and select an option to jump to their shard/instance. You should also be able to move between the currently open shards on your own (with a cooldown). Searching for people should also tell you which shard they're in.

Alternatively, they could abolish zone sharding completely, and only let people in, in waves. Have a moderate max server size to begin with, and expand it with that set amount every 30 minutes, until the total max amount of people a server should hold at once, is reached.
03/11/2018 16:09Posted by Havesh
I propose that zone sharding should only be implemented for the 1-10 zones

What if the masses of players migrate to the level 10+ zones at similar times though?
When we talk about sharding we mean the server population being split into multiple different instances of the world and you know that.
03/11/2018 16:11Posted by Mandanu
I propose that zone sharding should only be implemented for the 1-10 zones

What if the masses of players migrate to the level 10+ zones at similar times though?

That is very unlikely. People play the game at different paces and in different ways. It's highly unlikely that everyone will reach Westfall at the same time. Some people will do tradeskills, others will rush. If there are a lot of people there, and you don't find it fun to compete against other players for mobs, then you can start skilling up gathering and crafting.

Some people also prefer other zones to level in than the level 10+ zone immediately next to them, and will have to travel to get to it. Some people might want to go to another 1-10 zone and do a few quests there, before going on. You have lots of options available to you when you are level 10-12, relative to a newly created character.

The most important thing here is, that Blizzard clearly communicates how they're going about the launch if they use the method I proposed. Then people can make informed decisions on their playstyle based on that, and they shouldn't be surprised at the amount of people they will meet outside the 1-10 zones. (of course, there are always people who won't figure things out, who will complain once they move to the next zone to level, but people jumping to conclusions without thinking is an issue that exists even now).

P.S. Thanks for asking, rather than slinging mud. :) <3
You have no idea what you're talking about,delete this !@#$post please.

Why did they remove the downvoting option? Trolls like this guy would have 1k downvotes.
03/11/2018 14:06Posted by Billain
Vanilla WOW used sharding
Each continent was on a separate blade (aka shard) - Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms. Instances ran on a third blade while chat and some databases was handled by the forth blade. In other words, vanilla wow had four shards per server.

As an example, the Instance shard could go down, preventing you from entering any dungeons or bgs. Some times when you tried to exit a dungeon, you'd get the message "World server down", which kept you locked inside the dungeon until the world server came back up.

This means people spamming #NOSHARDS etc don't understand sharding and are arguing for a non-Blizzlike experience, since Vanilla wow DID use shards.

Sharding in itself is not a problem. What I believe we all want is a seamless implementation of sharding that's invisible to the player, while keeping the realm lag free.
Yea, because that's what people mean when they say ''no sharding''. Please. This is such a bad faith interpretation.
03/11/2018 16:06Posted by Kagemoth
Just answer my question, ok?

My answer was that you have to be trolling and that it was VERY obvious sharding.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt though. I will also assume you have a few friends. Go online, and group with a friend. Notice how the people dissapear and appear around you.

This is the exact same thing.

Here you go:
https://youtu.be/8fo54YP3Bic?t=207

I personally have a strong dislike for servers with several thousands of players on them at once, but seeing as population will drop over time and server merging is equally as bad if not worse than the sharding used in the demo, so we will need a compromise.

I propose that zone sharding should only be implemented for the 1-10 zones, and the amount of people a zone can hold before it starts sharding should be relatively high. Instead of automatically taking you to the shard of the party leader, you should be able to right click your party leader and select an option to jump to their shard/instance. You should also be able to move between the currently open shards on your own (with a cooldown). Searching for people should also tell you which shard they're in.

Alternatively, they could abolish zone sharding completely, and only let people in, in waves. Have a moderate max server size to begin with, and expand it with that set amount every 30 minutes, until the total max amount of people a server should hold at once, is reached.

Nope, I'm not trolling, I'm asking stupid questions because I want to discuss and learn, so quit that please.

I would like to point I play mostly on an extremely low populated German RP server, so that might be a reason I seem like a troll. I've never seen more than 5 ppl max at SW AH here. I lvled up to 97 and maybe seen 3-4 players total in the lvling zones. I now seem to have Draenor all to myself.

And yes, I know people might be invisible until you invite them and maybe even a bit longer, just as Madseason shows.

But the guy in the other video wasn't inviting anyone or doing anything special. A bunch of people suddenly went *poff* for no obvious reason. And no, I've not seen that unless moving in and out of a zone or if you server hop, on the English speaking realms that have more population.
03/11/2018 16:47Posted by Eulalia
But the guy in the other video wasn't inviting anyone or doing anything special. A bunch of people suddenly went *poff* for no obvious reason. And no, I've not seen that unless moving in and out of a zone or if you server hop, on the English speaking realms that have more population.

He got invited by someone and when he accepted the party invite, he got ported to the instance the party leader was in. Watch the clip again.

For ease of access, here it is: https://clips.twitch.tv/UnusualComfortableStrawberryKappa
03/11/2018 15:53Posted by Eulalia
03/11/2018 15:12Posted by Trajan
I'd rather the launch was awful.

Ok, fine, just like it was at Vanilla launch.

But don't you have concerns new players and a lot of old ones as well will hate it, and instantly give Classic a bad reputation? Don't you want it to be a success?

Or do you want a bad launch, so only the true Vanilla fans are staying? And those that don't like it can just quit? You don't seem like that type of person to me, but I would still like to ask.

Of course I want the game be a success. I am also not concerned about tourists because every tourist has some non-zero chance of becoming a long term Classic player. But authenticity is always the main priority for me. If it takes a horrible launch and a less popular Classic to keep it authentic then so be it.

Also I'm not entirely sure if sharding will result in a better reception. Players will notice it immediately and it will become the main topic of discussion once again. Only much bigger because there will be more people talking about it.
Look, if 2000 players on one realm want to be in 1 zone on the server at the same time, let us. Private servers can do this. Blizzard can do this. No excuses.
Please dont add sharding .. i won't play if thats the chase ...
In case some people don't actually know what sharding really means:

For example, you are on a server, there is you, player ''Aragornlol'' and ''Gandalfqt''

When you log in one time you can see and interact with both Aragornlol and Gandalfqt.
When you log in the next time you can only see and interact (or attack in case of pvp) with Aragornlol, even tho Gandalfqt is online you can't see or interact with him unless invited to a group.
Another time you don't see any of those 2 out in the world even tho they are online, unless grouped up.

It is not cross-realm and has nothing to do with it, tho added cross-realm would make it even worse. It means that a large chunk of players will be invisible to you at a given time, and you will be invisible to them.

This is completely immersion breaking as vanilla was supposed to be a closed, realistic and living world. Just like in life people made a name for themselves, they were loved, or hated, or both, or notorious for different things and that was the beauty with the game.

It's already bad concerning your own faction but it's complete garbage on pvp servers as half the time your arch nemesis might be hidden away from you.

Say no to sharding, not in the beginning, not after 2 months, never. A big part of vanilla was the adrenaline-packed race after server launch, looking the guys up who made it, and generally having to fight for mobs, either with your own or the enemy faction.
Sharding is not QoL it WILL make the game easier and reduce it's potential lifespan.

I really really really hope that they don't plan on doing some colossal next-level bull!@#$ like launching just a few mega servers that will house like 100k people but with 20 shards.
OP, you are wrong, what you describe is NOT what sharding is.

Sharding, in regards to MMO server architecture, specifically means the creation of multiple instances of the same map/level/whatever, with server-load balancing as the primary goal. (Normally not even dungeon map instances are referred to as shards because their primary function is not loadbalancing. Hence they are simply referred to as instances.)

You are just describing a clustered server architecture, where instead of one server, a cluster of servers are used to run a service. (Yes individual shards usually run on different servers in a cluster too, but having a cluster does not necessarily mean sharding is involved.)

Usually, different (physical) servers are used to handle different tasks: e.g.:
x servers for authenticating, x for mail/auction/whatever services, x for world services (combat, movement, etc.). These all work together to form the game service.

What you are describing is just that, Kalomdor as a whole, for example, is handled by x world nodes who each handle a separate physical area of a single map instance. Even though you are indeed changing servers when crossing over a boundary, you are still in the same map instance. (Or should be if properly implemented, private servers can have this somewhat messed up.)
I believe OP's point is they can implement sharding totally different as we know it today. Maybe the main shard allows so many people in it and never really kicks in unless there is huge congestion (and only for launch day). The demo shards were obviously way too small.

But that is a valid argument.

To bad his point was presented in a bad way trough this OP.
It's worth discussing though (constructive then).