Warchief Baine - thoughts?

Story
1 2 3 7 Next
I've been thinking for a long time now, that since we are almost certainly getting rid of the cartoon villain of Sylvanas - we will need a replacement. Saurfang's been mentioned a great deal, but I wanted to suggest an alternative - Baine.

Imho, he might not be the Warchief the Horde deserves but the one we need since we seem to have a lot of crazy ones sadly. He's got a track record of dealing with extremists who want to escalate the situation (Thunder Bluff exiles) and a level head. Crucially, experience as a diplomat, and a good working relationship with the senior leaders of the Alliance, particularly Anduin.
If I wanted to play Alliance I’d go play the real one.
Honestly? In the long term I could see Baine become a good Warchief if BfA's narrative follows a similar path to what I'm expecting these days.

That would naturally have to involve a good deal of positive Horde character development for Baine though, which seems rather unlikely in the short term.
At this point, I will take anyone.
I'd rather have Vol'Jin back. But if Baine is meant to be next then devs should actually give him pro-active role.

So far he is just like belf leader - only talk and acts when there is really no other choice.

And tbh I don't want alliance sympathizer I want someone who puts wellbeing of the Horde and his people on pinacle and Baine seem to have this order upside down.
Since only Alliance players would approve of this, since Baine is gonna fullfil all their wishes once Anduin gives him googly eyes, HELL TO THE NO! We need someone with a spine who is NOT just a follower or an alliance sellout.

29/10/2018 17:47Posted by Zhaoling
Crucially, experience as a diplomat, and a good working relationship with the senior leaders of the Alliance, particularly Anduin.

This is NOT a good thing. It means he value's his human friendships higher than the actual wellbeing of his faction or his people.
29/10/2018 18:13Posted by Erevien
This is NOT a good thing. It means he value's his human friendships higher than the actual wellbeing of his faction or his people.

Is there any indication that the Tauren have suffered due to Baine's friendship with Anduin?
29/10/2018 18:25Posted by Theronarum
Is there any indication that the Tauren have suffered due to Baine's friendship with Anduin?

*points to the great gate, the not existing survivors of Taurajo, dead warriors at Theramore after he warned Jaina about the attack, and those exiles at Vendetta point.* He was a very bad track history so far.
I can only really see Baine as being someone who can keep the Horde from being annihilated by the Alliance at this point, 95% any other Horde leaders will most likely result in another war and I'd rather not keep kicking this can down the road.

Making peace with the Alliance will end up saving you, not killing you.
Since only Alliance players would approve of this, since Baine is gonna fullfil all their wishes once Anduin gives him googly eyes, HELL TO THE NO! We need someone with a spine who is NOT just a follower or an alliance sellout.

Presumably Blizzard could develop his story arc a bit, and go with the (trope?) of distanced friends over time to better facilitate the Horde leadership role. A lot of people could empathise with that.

There is also the plus that the nelves don't have much against the Tauren (yes there were Tauren conscripts in Darkshore....). I can't see Tyrande and co. being fine with a goblin or orc in power, and we're lacking troll candidates.
29/10/2018 18:28Posted by Erevien
points to the great gate, the not existing survivors of Taurajo, dead warriors

How is that even remotely related to the friendship with Anduin (if there even was one at the time, since they only just met).

dead warriors at Theramore after he warned Jaina about the attack

We're talking about Jaina suddenly?????

and those exiles at Vendetta point.

What?
29/10/2018 18:29Posted by Frozengrip
Making peace with the Alliance will end up saving you, not killing you.

Better dead and proud, than in chains, humilliated and having your faction leader gathering at tea parties with Anduin and Jaina.
29/10/2018 18:33Posted by Theronarum
points to the great gate, the not existing survivors of Taurajo, dead warriors

How is that even remotely related to the friendship with Anduin (if there even was one at the time, since they only just met).

dead warriors at Theramore after he warned Jaina about the attack

We're talking about Jaina suddenly?????

and those exiles at Vendetta point.

What?

Those are just some examples when Baine thought about ways he can keep his friendship with the humans, and "aiding" the Horde on the paper without actually taking part in the war in the southern barrens. He has proven many times, that he doesn't care.
29/10/2018 18:34Posted by Erevien
Better dead and proud, than in chains, humilliated and having your faction leader gathering at tea partis with Anduin and Jaina.

There is nothing proud about the Horde now, you'll die like the genocidal cowards you are. Alone, divided, hypercritical and pathetic. You have had you chance at wiping out the Alliance twice now and both times you have failed. Now you will either suffer the consequences of your actions or you will just be a page in the Alliance's history books.
You may have missed a few threads lately. But long story short, Baine wouldn't be welcome as Horde Warchief.
29/10/2018 18:38Posted by Frozengrip
There is nothing proud about the Horde now, you'll die like the genocidal cowards you are. Alone, divided, hypercritical and pathetic. You have had you chance at wiping out the Alliance twice now and both times you have failed. Now you will either suffer the consequences of your actions or you will just be a page in the Alliance's history books.

Sorry, I can't hear you over my crispy Teldrassil bonfire, cooking up sausages marshmallows ;)
29/10/2018 18:40Posted by Erevien
Sorry, I can't hear you over my crispy Teldrassil bonfire, cooking up sausages marshmallows ;)

Much prefer a hog roast then just some messily sausages, perhaps a bit of apple sauce too!
29/10/2018 18:37Posted by Erevien
Those are just some examples when Baine thought about ways he can keep his friendship with the humans, and "aiding" the Horde on the paper without actually taking part in the war in the southern barrens. He has proven many times, that he doesn't care.

Oh, so we're just going to ignore that there might have been other reasons for his actions you described? Remember that Jaina helped Baine in the past, it is only fair and H O N O R A B L E if he returns the favour, right, when he saw that Garrosh was about to do something injust? And I don't even know what your point is about the survivors and the gate.

And Baine is still serving the Banshee Queen for what it's worth, so there's no indication there that he is serving Anduin instead of his Warchief. He also stopped writing letters to Anduin when Sylvanas asked him to do so, and that is already enough to tell that he values the Horde and his duties over his friendship.
29/10/2018 18:43Posted by Theronarum
and H O N O R A B L E

He "honored" his friendship with Jaina more than the lifes of his Tauren warriors. Who only died because of the Alliance having time to gather more forces and even neutral parties to help them out. Yet he acted like a hyprocite, blaming Garrosh for it, when, without the warning, the normal attack would have been successfull. THAT his his "honour"

Human BFFs > Tauren > Horde. The Baine way of thinking.
29/10/2018 18:43Posted by Theronarum
And Baine is still serving the Banshee Queen for what it's worth, so there's no

He doesn't. He talks about Honour all day long, while standing in Zuldazar without doing anything noteworthy. The crew of the Banshee's Wail has carried our entire war campaign so far.