Normal WoW when Classic is released?

General
What will happen with "Normal" WoW when WoW Classic is released?

A lot of ppl will move to Classic to play it and the progress in there is really SLOW.
A lot of ppl will farm things in there for a long time (skills, talents, etc.).

What will happen with BfA WoWs queues? They are slow now, imagine how long you have to wait when Classic is out... Why Blizz divide WoW into 2 games... Will Normal WoW slowly die after this?

a lot of people will try it on day 1 and them return to retail on day 2 due to how slow gameplay was back then

i honestly want to see all the "gcd is cancer" crowd leveling in vanilla - will be pure entertainment watch them :)
08/11/2018 09:53Posted by Skazzi
Ah people that havent really played level 60 & 70 will never understand why it was better and it will be better than retail.

It wasnt. Seriously, as much as I liked WoW Back then, Vanilla lived from being something new and exiting. Nothing else.

Your looks and gear will actually get respected and ppl will admire you.Not like with this transmog travesty.

If you wnat to look like sh*t unless you had the luck to get one of the few sets Blizzard intended to look good, be my guest. I prefere it when my character does not look like I had to dress myself out of a lost and found...

There wont be a thousand titles and mounts.Todays game feels like wizard 101 ( my nephew used to play it when he was 10 years old. I was playing Wotlk and i was so sad thinking that WoW will become such a trash game.)

So having mount variety is bad? What the hell?

Epic loot will actually give you goosebumps and legendaries are actually legendary.Not every casual prick will have it from DAY 1.

Ok, cant argue here, that was better back then.

Yes mechanics are bad compared to retail.Most of the classes have 1 viable spec but it compared to BFA it will be alot better.

Ehm... no... Seriously, classes back then were jokes. Three specs, of which maybe 1 if you were lucky 2 were viable, and the rest were garbage. How is that better than today, where each spec has a right to exist?

Go ask a Paladin player if he feels Vanilla was the better game... oh who am I kidding, I bet you find alot who claim that not getting any plate armor, running dungeons in cloth-leather-mail mixes, being the raids buffbot who literally had no other job than rebuffing 40 people plus pets every 5 minutes was the best gameplay ever...
08/11/2018 11:34Posted by Amnastaria
I'm sorry, but this is both arrogant and paternalistic from you (and others) to say.What you are really saying is that "my anti-classic vies is so 100% right and the absolute truth, till anyone thinking otherwise is either nostalgic or don't know what he is talking about"

It is quite possibly arrogant, I am aware that is a character flaw that I have, although it would serve better if you imagined my words in terms of wry jest, rather than 'laying down the law' but you surely cannot deny that there is an element of truth to what I am saying. Classic is -not- representing the game world as we know it. I mean both you and I are posting on characters that will not exist in Classic, and yet patently exist in the game world, or rather, mine would, yours probably would, just not as a Void Elf.

Classic isn't perfect, far from it. Especially the class balance. But for some people, retail is so childish, in-inspired and rip-off of "young" American fashions (superheroes and so), and so in-immersive and full with SFCI elements (yes, I know that vanilla got gnomeregan as well, no need to remind it), till Vanilla, with all of his flaws, is a better game.

So why pretend otherwise? I mean that -is- Wow's setting. It is not a Medieval fun park, it is what it is, its own self contained setting, which incorporates elements of High Fantasy and Sci-Fi. Neither genre is childish, and you're kind of showing bias there. 'Retail is Childish' to some?' Since when did Genocide, Scorched Earth Tactics, Chemical Warfare and Imperialistic attitudes become 'Childish'? The Real game is far, far bleaker than Classic ever was.

And now they are offered 100% legal servar, with Blizzard support and without the danger of criminals and hackers lurking near the data-base... so why not?

Why not indeed? I mean they are getting it, fair play to them. So why are people still banging on about it? Are we supposed to just nod our heads and go "yes, yes, yes, you are right, The Real Game will Die, Classic will rule supreme" like some sort of bizarre cult? Is the idea of dissension so alien that it cannot be expressed, or to contest the idea that that Classic was the pinnacle of gaming? I mean that -is- childish.

08/11/2018 12:14Posted by Brewny
The game is what it is, Classic will be an accurate representation of the game as it was back then.

Thank you. That is my point. It is the game as it was back then. Which was not representative of the game world. I mean you -see- that in WC3. So...why can't you go through the Thalassian Pass? I mean you quite clearly can? will there be a whole race of NPC's there? Why can't you go to Northrend? DId people forget how to build boats, only to remember how to do so a few years later?

That's my point. If you care about stats and numbers, Classic will work fine, if you care about the game lore, then it will make no sense at all. That's kind of what I was driving at.
If you care for the RPG elements, Classic is actually no good. Or perhaps it is that people don't understand what an RPG is anymore, which is entirely possible, the genre has existed for more than twenty years, so plenty of time for it to have changed in some senses.

Classic will be an RPG in one sense, whilst absolutely -not- being an RPG in another sense.

Maybe it is because I am a roleplayer, and like the game world to make sense, that might be what it is. But yeah, as a roleplayer, just nope. Nope nope and hells nope. Classic won't make sense. fair play to those that want to play it, but that's not Warcraft.
I don't think that Classic will pull the numbers needed to influence current WoW.

The nostalgia component only applies to people who played back then, and like Brig said, many of us now have families and can no longer sink the hours into it that we could back then.

For those that didn't play back then and just want to go see what its about, will find it hard to adapt to what the game was back then.
Look at the outcry it created when they slowed down leveling. Now imaging slowing it down even further, and needing to eat/drink after almost every fight.
I cant remember when quest markers and sparkles were added but there will probably be mods for that anyway.

All of that said, there were things changed in the game that seemed like a good idea but was bad for it in the long run. Classic will have not have these and provide those good experiences.

Someone recently linked an interview with the original class designer and that was well worth the watch. That insight in the original design and why it was done that way gives me hope that through Classic they may be able to fix many of the mistakes that were made over the years.

there was already ongoing theory during blizzcon demo that they adjusted health/mana regen to counter this .

generaly people who didnt play back then on played on servers with "fixed" XP income will have extremly hard time to get past level 20. only due to how slow gameplay in vanilla is.

for their sake i honestly wish them so blizzard makes mobs mutitagging in vanilla else they wont leave past level 10 if blizzard leave 1 tag only on mobs.
08/11/2018 09:22Posted by Lxs
Talent trees were so much better in classic wow.

Thottbot was so much better in classic wow, there fixed that for you.
It is quite possibly arrogant, I am aware that is a character flaw that I have, although it would serve better if you imagined my words in terms of wry jest, rather than 'laying down the law' but you surely cannot deny that there is an element of truth to what I am saying. Classic is -not- representing the game world as we know it. I mean both you and I are posting on characters that will not exist in Classic, and yet patently exist in the game world, or rather, mine would, yours probably would, just not as a Void Elf.

Ofc classic is another game world. Never said it was perfect or near perfect. And I'll regret the fact that that humans in classic can't be hunters, or that paladin, my second favored class, is broken in Vanilla.
But still, I consider it better then the current retail - because back then, the RPG theme was serious. No lol-shooting 100 troops while bouncing on a circus ball with spikes. No spaceships, no super-hero theme.

What annoyed me in your post, is that you sounded as if most people that want classic are just acting in blind nostalgia and don't know what are they after.

I said retail is more childish, because of the blatant lolz/fun > reason; super hero ripoffs, elements that cannot make sense together are thrown together; rule of the cool; many zones in alliance side 90% based on lolz story, and the list goes longer and longer (btw - its not that SCFI is childish. the unreasonable mix can be, when it doesn't make sense).
Not even the bleaker parsts of the plot can fix that.
In classic, if we ignored Gnomeregan, 90% of the world was coherent and made sense.

Plus, the hunter class - which is the main class I play, felt much more whole and fun, with pet loyalties, with hunters need to think wisely which pet to choose, rather then getting magic star-sized stables in thin-air, pet training, hunter using both ranged and melee and must keep enemies far from him. It really felt like a hunter with a wild beast, rather then a Disney cartoon summoning magical beasts from thin air.
(though I will admit that bfa improved things a little compared to legion, which was the worst)

To sum it up - it's not that classic was 100% master-piece or even close to it. It's just retail that became so bad and so packed with holes and lolz (not even starting with the bad story writing for the sake of making it simple), so I prefer classic with all of its many bugs and cons.
heres a good question: if classic allows you to have addons, is that chocolate flavour or vanilla ?
08/11/2018 09:17Posted by Luftwaffe
I think WoW Classic as a secondary server would be perfect for when you feel like playing WoW but you are a bit bored of the current game.

Personally I can't wait doing proper grouping again and dungeon crawling, ganking people in Blackrock Mountain, grinding for rare crafting recipes, standing on Ogrimmar with your full Tier 2...

what proper dungeon crawling ?

do you know how it will look like ? just like in modern wow .

"making group for X dungeon - cloth wearers only (meaning im mage or priest and others must be mages or 1 priest to feed me gear ) must have most of gear (so i can get all drops)

or making group for X - must have full resist gear (because i want to farm up that gear for myself)

it will be a proper !@#$show in trade.

unless you are delusional to think that people wont be chasing bis from day 1 . and if they cannot they will level another alt . because nobobdy will "waste time" on doin content with strangers if there will be no benefit for them (and vanilla had none of it)
ahahahaha Spot on my friends. I'll never go back where blu/green item in raid was the norm and switching a mace for a new sword you have to go master the skill... and munitions and levelling pets... jeez even the rogue powder was a consumable...
Why people want to play something so... slow paced?
i like now... get home from work, raid or emissary, some mythics and logout. No anymore Battleground like Alterac Valley where you leave the BG in the evening and you rejoin the SAME BG the next morning...
08/11/2018 07:47Posted by Góttágófást
What I think is gonna happen is that : Todays generation can’t take the endless boring slog that is Vanillas leveling, and they will go back to normal WoW. =)

Levelling in Classic was actually pretty entertaining man. There was progress every 10 levels. Talent points every level at 10 and beyond.

To claim Classic has a more boring levelling system than what we currently have is intellectually dishonest and facetious.
Hmm. As someone who’s only started playing WoW as of BFA I think I’ll stick with “Retail” for the moment.

I’ll probably at least give Classic a whirl though because it’d be silly not to because history is a thing.
Most players that are curious to play Classic or remember it through rose tinted glasses will log on and then discover/remember just how tedious many aspects of it were, at the time it was originally out players didn`t know anything different, but if your used to playing modern wow it will feel very dated.

Grind for reps
Grind for weaponskill
Grind for mats to level professions
Grind to get gold just to buy basic things like new spells/abilities
Grind kill mobs at later levels when you run out of quests to get to 60
No mounts until lvl 40
No flying ever
Nothing to do but raid or pvp at end game
No LFR/LFG

That’s just some of it, already in modern wow it’s a huge drama having to grind reps, not have fast travel to get to quests, not having enough end game content
Most players will I would think try it, feel how backward and dated and horrible it feels to play compared to modern wow and drift back to playing modern again
Leaving mainly a hardcore of classic lovers to play with the remaining population being made of drifters who will log in and out during content droughts in modern wow.
I also think that’s why Blizz made the choice to include the classic Wow in a normal subscription because if it had of been stand alone it probably would have surged first few months and the dropped like a heavy stone again as people didn`t renew.

As the servers will be available on a normal sub I will probably have a look just for old time sake, will I invest any time to actually level characters up on classic servers again, no I highly doubt it, i`ve done it before, when classic was the only version, I don’t want to do it again, when modern wow is so much more polished and player friendly.
I started playing in TbC. Wowhead wasn't a thing i heard ofat all. Thottbot sometimes helped me on my way.
My first char was a nelf warrior and i had heard from a guy at school that everything happened in stormwind! So my first memory of wow is doing the wetlands run as a lvl 11. With tonnes of crocs and orcs killing me till i walked into ironforge. And that felt awesome.
The world was all new to me. First time i saw a guy in full epics was amazing. First time i saw a flying mount was also awesome. All those images of those first times is what most people remember.
I loved TBC and when i finally got myself some mmo rpg sense and learned how to properly play warrior and went raiding in wrath that wass also new and awesome.

Nowadays none of that is new anymore we know everything. We got tonnes of QoL we forgot wasn't there. We got a ton of fixes for things that bugged us to no end. All that will be removed.
Will people enjoy classic? I'm sure a group will, and that's fine. Just don't expect it to be millions or that it will kill retail wow.
I recognise the feeling that it used to give me. But I'm way to sceptic to believe that i will get those feelings again in classic. But only time will tell of course.
08/11/2018 09:28Posted by Kattwilliams
I am sitting here reading these comments and smirking at how out of touch & naive some of them are, it's actually cute...

They haven't a clue how big Classic is and will be, trust me on that... then again, don't take my word for it, just wait and you'll see. I do find it cute though how some of these comments are casually brushing it off to the side, like "It won't be big bro, it's just a bunch of rose-tinted-glasses-wearing nerds who like slow paced, im-balanced WoW" like as if they're afraid to admit the potential for classic to be bigger than retail WoW.

They're severely underestimating the millions of people who do not play current WoW, but who will play classic, as well as the huge chunk of players who do play current WoW, but will play classic more than just for a dose of nostalgia. Also, I hear subs will be tied to both so don't worry about retail WoW.

At the end of the day, we all have our own opinions but the numbers don't lie.

I'm sitting here and smirking how out of touch and, sorry, but completely and utterly delusional YOU are.

People who played vanilla back in the day (actual vanilla, not pirate servers), are over 30-40 nowadays. How the !@#$ is a person with work/family supposed to find time to play the absolute grindfest that vanilla was, on any competitive level at all? That's right - they won't. As for current Instant Gratification Generation...Do you truly think that who complain how grindy retail is, will stay for INFINITELY MORE GRINDY Vanilla? Riiiiight...

Thinking that Vanilla will have "millions of players" is without a doubt, the one single most delusional thing I have ever read, and will ever read on the internet. Will "millions of players" try it? Most likely, yeah. How many of those will stay? 10%? 5%?

You can even see from the reaction to latest Blizzcon, how %^-* ton of "WE WANT VANILLA!" crowd is already disappointed and considering NOT playing because they will have to pay for it. Most are too used to free pirate servers, and that's what they wanted/expected. Having to pay (in essence, having a "TRUE VANILLA EXPERIENCE")...that's lame. They wanted to have a cake, and eat it too.

Honestly, whenever I see people saying (and apparently TRULY believing) that Vanilla will be as successful as it was back in the day, that it will have more players than retail...I can't help but think that these people never played actual Vanilla. Or they're too out of touch with current gamers mentality.
i havent played vanilla much(started wow somewhere in the end of vanilla) but from what i know it was very immersive, felt like an rpg and there was a huge interaction between players. i like old school games. this is when games were actually very well made with love, passion and care. not like nowadays cash grabs.
Just FYI - 2/3 specs in vanila are unplayable and you'll play one single build in one single role for most classes forever.

Unless they'll try to rebalance trash specs (they wont)
08/11/2018 15:30Posted by Zamuro
i havent played vanilla much(started wow somewhere in the end of vanilla) but from what i know it was very immersive, felt like an rpg and there was a huge interaction between players. i like old school games. this is when games were actually very well made with love, passion and care. not like nowadays cash grabs.

Ah but the community as a whole isn't the same community back then. And it isn't a certainty that it will return. But again everyone gets to play it at some point. All we can do is guess, wait and see.
08/11/2018 15:34Posted by Edgyjojomeme
Just FYI - 2/3 specs in vanila are unplayable and you'll play one single build in one single role for most classes forever.

Unless they'll try to rebalance trash specs (they wont)

Can't wait to do a dungeon as tank where people have to wait for 3 sunders.
And yes i know a lot of people will be wondering what the heck 3 sunders actually are now.
08/11/2018 09:28Posted by Kattwilliams
I am sitting here reading these comments and smirking at how out of touch & naive some of them are, it's actually cute...

They haven't a clue how big Classic is and will be, trust me on that... then again, don't take my word for it, just wait and you'll see. I do find it cute though how some of these comments are casually brushing it off to the side, like "It won't be big bro, it's just a bunch of rose-tinted-glasses-wearing nerds who like slow paced, im-balanced WoW" like as if they're afraid to admit the potential for classic to be bigger than retail WoW.

They're severely underestimating the millions of people who do not play current WoW, but who will play classic, as well as the huge chunk of players who do play current WoW, but will play classic more than just for a dose of nostalgia. Also, I hear subs will be tied to both so don't worry about retail WoW.

At the end of the day, we all have our own opinions but the numbers don't lie.

Saving this. I will enjoy not so much bringing you back to earth but more shooting your plane with frozen turkeys and listening to you yelling on the PA "it's only turbulence.. no really..."

BTW. Do you have the EXACT numbers. Didn't think so either.