Slow or fast? Class?

Classic Discussion
I’m going fast. I’ve leveled 1 to 60 on private servers far too many times so there’s no reason to go slow for me. I expect Classic leveling to be the same as private servers just slightly faster and easier because of the new client and lower population.
11/11/2018 17:33Posted by Bigbazz
Either way Warrior is probably the slowest class to level on average

I beg to differ.

Warrior was probably one of the fastest to level.

I got to 60 way faster on my Warrior than on my Hunter and Mage.

I personally will focus on role playing, meeting old and new people, and just taking it one quest at a time and enjoy the game. At the end of the day, we're not getting any expansions added to Classic, so there's no point in rushing.

Those who reach 60 first will just moan on the forums that there's nothing for them to do as they always do anyways.
Slow and steady does it. Will take my time to do all kinds of things the game has to offer and more.

I will most likely be paladin and mage again. I can't decide on the order but I miss old paladin alot, it's leaning in that direction.
It will come down to how many hours I am able to spend each day on leveling. I still remember the Vanilla leveling process well enough that any kind of exploration is impossible. Same with professions. I can't pretend to not know that only gathering is worth doing while you level.
Very slow. This game will remain with no progression reset every half a year. So I have all the time I want to just enjoy the journey.
I’ll level efficiently in terms of spec and combat method, but I won’t be following a power-leveling guide or use quest addons. I’ll also be leveling my professions, including the secondary ones, keeping them up to date for my character level. I really enjoyed dungeons in Vanilla, so I’ll also be doing those a lot. Probably the same dungeon multiple times despite having done the quests.

So I’ll be leveling relatively slowly, but I do plan on playing a lot, so it’s not like AQ will be out by the time I hit cap. But I’ll be doing all sorts content on my way there, and hopefully have a great time. Because that’s what it’s all about for me.
12/11/2018 13:52Posted by Geronîmoo

I beg to differ.

I personally will focus on role playing, meeting old and new people, and just taking it one quest at a time and enjoy the game. At the end of the day, we're not getting any expansions added to Classic, so there's no point in rushing.

Those who reach 60 first will just moan on the forums that there's nothing for them to do as they always do anyways.

I agree, warriors are very good at leveling starting on their mid-30's. Some people just don't know how to do it and there are lots of bad advise on the internet.

I wouldn't mind if WoW was even slower, especially when you know where all the quests are and how to do them in most efficient way. I used to reroll on fresh realms frequently so that i had no gold or other characters to boost me.
12/11/2018 14:49Posted by Ezmod
I agree, warriors are very good at leveling starting on their mid-30's. Some people just don't know how to do it and there are lots of bad advise on the internet.

I wouldn't mind if WoW was even slower, especially when you know where all the quests are and how to do them in most efficient way. I used to reroll on fresh realms frequently so that i had no gold or other characters to boost me.

Most of us who haven't put time into playing on private servers won't know where to go for 100% of the quests. Sure, some stuff will come back to us, but a lot of things such as certain quest locations etc will be gone from memory, so i don't think that would be a positive thing for anyone besides those who play on private servers.

In short, not everyone plays or played on private servers. In fact, those who play on private servers are a minority of the players who've quit WoW since the original game/TBC/Wrath.

I beg to differ.

You've kinda missed out on the context of my whole post though, I covered this pretty well in my post if you read the detail rather than condense it into a generic statement.

If you know what you're doing all of the classes are fast to level, if you gear a Warrior properly and take the right routes to keep the gear up to date you can overcome the gearing threshold at which you start to considerably speed up, but on average most players will be below that threshold and Warrior can be brutally slow and painful.

I said that "on average" the Warrior is the slowest/hardest to level and that is pretty accurate, but the "on average" and the context with which it's used is the important part of the quote.
12/11/2018 15:58Posted by Geronîmoo
12/11/2018 14:49Posted by Ezmod

Most of us who haven't put time into playing on private servers won't know where to go for 100% of the quests. Sure, some stuff will come back to us, but a lot of things such as certain quest locations etc will be gone from memory, so i don't think that would be a positive thing for anyone besides those who play on private servers.

In short, not everyone plays or played on private servers. In fact, those who play on private servers are a minority of the players who've quit WoW since the original game/TBC/Wrath.

That's understandable and makes lots of sense, thus i used wording i wouldn't mind..

But eventually these players reroll alts and change factions, and they will get to know the game as well as everyone else. And since majority of classic players will not raid at all the leveling up content is their main game and gearing up process is the end game.

Having that content last as long as possible promotes replay value nicely.
Going in to it with zero planning Zero connection, just like I did the first time around, the last thing I want from this is to go 100% try hard from out the gate, you'll only ever get to play through levelling up once and have at least some of the feeling of what it was back then, No plans on being a "server first" anything, No plans to be a grand marshal this time, Just slow steady and enjoy it.
I admit that I was a noob - playing literally days after EU release having got to level 15 or so as a hunter in beta will do that for you - but I found the warrior like pulling teeth.

Yes I was spending all my money on skills I didn't need (and foolishly trying to be a blacksmith) - but that didn't change the fact that 2 mobs at the same level was a difficult situation, 3 was typically a death sentence (and there are plenty of zones where they group into 3s). A respawned mob in the back at around 33% health was usually a death sentence too (never mind being ganked by players). You are incredibly gear dependent - and because its a virgin server, there are going to be very few hand-me-downs. If you are going "fast" have fun trying to get plate at 40.

By comparison I found levelling a mage to be a breeze. Partly this was knowing more about the game - partly this was having friends at 60 who could help out - but really its because AoE farming is far more efficient than anything the warrior can do.

I am torn between druid and warlock. Both of which may be qualified as "bad classes" (sorry not sorry) but I don't mind resto healing - and I have played a priest in far too many expansions (even though I never did in original). At the same time I always fancied a Warlock, but eh... mages were better.

Then again I'm far too soft - I'll probably find a guild and workout what's missing. Because playing a snowflake beats topping meters. Maybe.
12/11/2018 16:04Posted by Bigbazz

I beg to differ.

You've kinda missed out on the context of my whole post though, I covered this pretty well in my post if you read the detail rather than condense it into a generic statement.

If you know what you're doing all of the classes are fast to level, if you gear a Warrior properly and take the right routes to keep the gear up to date you can overcome the gearing threshold at which you start to considerably speed up, but on average most players will be below that threshold and Warrior can be brutally slow and painful.

I said that "on average" the Warrior is the slowest/hardest to level and that is pretty accurate, but the "on average" and the context with which it's used is the important part of the quote.

Obviously, your leveling spec matters. No denying that, but anyone with half a brain would figure out what works best after a couple of hours of playing, because we're not living in 2005 anymore. There's far more information and guides out there now.

I didn't even rush to get it to 60, yet i did it much faster than on most other classes i played.

I certainly didn't know about any gear paths or any such thing, but i did level up as fury, which might've explained why it was as fast as it was, because fury did exceptional damage, even in low level PVP brackets, i'd just plow through any clothies.

Maybe i was just a natural at playing a warrior back then, who knows. I personally had absolutely no issues with the leveling speed on mine, even with horrible gear during leveling.
I remember getting the full WC leather (Fang) armor set. It felt awesome. I know people think it sucks because you will replace, but I enjoyed it.
Just did some playing on Elys on my 43 shammy and it feels good having 5/6 Scarlet pieces, tabard, shoulders and weapons from Herod, etc.

It's the little things.
I'll be doing it at a deliberate pace while still soaking everything in. I'm planning to pick a mage for the benefits and I plan on doing every dungeon at least a few times, even though they don't give that much xp.
12/11/2018 12:55Posted by Luminnar
i'm gonna rush to 60 and then grief / corpse camp all the noobs in STV leveling there

For that you'd need a Belf Paladin, and sadly no such thing exists in Classic WoW.