RIP WoW?

General
1 2 3 24 Next
https://twitter.com/WeakAuras/status/1051812677578838016

Seems pretty legit. WA would not post something if they were not sure if sub numbers are correct.

Down to 1,7M players boys. I am not ranting. But man. Maybe Blizz will finaly wake up.
1,7M which 25% was secondary BFA purchase,so 25% of 1,7M are account on same battle.net?
So multiboxer,multiaccount or people using same battle.net?
Basically 50% of people subbed at start of BFA already unsubbed....
Seems legit? Hmm ok.
Would be better if we didn't know the sub numbers because somehow they wind up being the main argument for people when criticizing the game which actually just makes them look stupid and so it's easier for Blizzard to disregard that feedback as trolling.

PS. also not sure about the credibility of the source.
Subs aside, how does this stuff even leak? That seems like a big issue in itself.
Dont worry people will be in here shortly telling you that wow is in a better state than ever. Oh and btw they will probably mention the lack of content done

:)
Without China, as someone in the link pointed out, and I'd still like to know whether they are legit or not.
But regardless I'm starting to think that it's really getting worse for WoW, that much cannot be denied.
15/10/2018 13:57Posted by Shakehl
Seems legit? Hmm ok.

Well...

WeakAuras is considered to be the top 3 addons downloaded in the game with hundreds if not thousands of downloads per day.

I really doubt the author would make a bland statement for nothing.
mah... it's full of "i dont know, without china, post no more available...".
Maybe is true maybe not.
Interesting if true, but I do question how accurate it is. They said they iterated the information to estimate and while that might be the best guess they have I'm not convinced it's right.

That said I don't recall anyone from blizzard or anywhere else actually saying WoW is doing well.

But for sake of argument let's say that the numbers are right, that means they started with less players than WoD ended with since I heard someone at blizz said they ended WoD with 4 million players, and they already lost almost half of those that started.

It seems that while WoW used to basically have a year of dead time at the end of expansions they've somehow upped it to 3 years of dead time with only every other expansion being worth the effort to play it. I really hope blizzard sorts this problem out because I love WoW and I don't want to play it only every 4 years >.<.
ouch
15/10/2018 13:48Posted by Sinndor
Down to 1,7M players boys. I am not ranting. But man. Maybe Blizz will finaly wake up.

It doesn't seem out of the ordinary. I remember when WoW reached 10 million players after being released in China, then it had that short period where China shut the game down because it didn't comply with their censorship. WoW lost 5 million subscribers then. Basically half of its total.

So once you also detract the Korean and Taiwanese players, then you're looking at something like 60% of the playerbase being located in Asia.

The big subscriber numbers have never originated from the US or EU. We're mostly stable markets that Blizzard established very early on.

It's in Asia where the subscriber growth has always originated from, and declined too. That market is volatile, competitive, and fierce. It's why WoW has been the biggest MMORPG for this long, it's because it's successfully managed to enter the Asian markets, whereas most other western MMORPGs tend to stay away from that completely.
if its true, good. blizzard need to wake up and get in touch with their community and with reality...
Doubt that its true. Didn't Legion peak at ~10 mil? Does not seem very legit that it would drop of to 3.2 mil. The drop of 1.7 mil people could be true but its always a big % of the subs that will drop when the hype for the new expansion is gone.
So 1.7M here and 450M in China ?
15/10/2018 14:29Posted by Zamuro
if its true, good. blizzard need to wake up and get in touch with their community and with reality...

You know that means doing another Asian-themed expansion, stuffing some more elves and furries into the game, and create more grind-heavy loot systems, right?

Because that's what it means to get in touch with the Asian community, which is where they're seemingly bleeding the most subscribers. There isn't much return of investment to be had from listening to you or me. We're in mostly stable markets that present little opportunity for growth.

So, is that what you want? :P
15/10/2018 14:24Posted by Jito
15/10/2018 13:48Posted by Sinndor

It doesn't seem out of the ordinary. I remember when WoW reached 10 million players after being released in China, then it had that short period where China shut the game down because it didn't comply with their censorship. WoW lost 5 million subscribers then. Basically half of its total.

So once you also detract the Korean and Taiwanese players, then you're looking at something like 60% of the playerbase being located in Asia.

The big subscriber numbers have never originated from the US or EU. We're mostly stable markets that Blizzard established very early on.

It's in Asia where the subscriber growth has always originated from, and declined too. That market is volatile, competitive, and fierce. It's why WoW has been the biggest MMORPG for this long, it's because it's successfully managed to enter the Asian markets, whereas most other western MMORPGs tend to stay away from that completely.

Issue isnt much sub numbers but lost sub numbers. 50% subs gone in 2 months? Sure game is old etc. But 50% is way to much for this game at this point of expansion.
15/10/2018 14:34Posted by Jito
15/10/2018 14:29Posted by Zamuro

You know that means doing another Asian-themed expansion, stuffing some more elves and furries into the game, and create more grind-heavy loot systems, right?

Because that's what it means to get in touch with the Asian community, which is where they're seemingly bleeding the most subscribers. There isn't much return of investment to be had from listening to you or me. We're in mostly stable markets that present little opportunity for growth.

So, is that what you want? :P

Would mean Vuplera for horde and High Elves for alliance. Not bad :D
GG blizz and Gg all you whiteknights saying "no way to knooooow but deeefinitely more than 5 millionnnnssss"

"People just saaaaay they unsuuub they never dooooo"