RIP WoW?

General
Prev 1 9 10 11 24 Next
Guys, if subs weren't a problem then why was sharding implemented so heavily? With today's technology basically destroying wow settings and most Internet users having fibre optic connections do you really, really believe that it was really to help with connection instability?

It was designed with the intent on making quest areas look more populated because it allows cross realm interaction (bare in mind that a lot of realms have been merged into one now under the guise of networked realms).

Come on...
15/10/2018 23:42Posted by Abacabb
This is the result of a lot of varied situations collectively in people's lives such as death, getting older, not having time etc etc.. the thing all situations have in common is that these people are no logger playing the game and I can't help but think it's specifically to do with the broken and busted sense of immersion in exchange for appealing to short attention span people: the lowest common denominator which as we all know are very prone to (you guessed it) SHORT ATTENTION SPANS.

What happens if you just give these people everything? They get board and move on, jump onto the next big thing to stay popular with their friends: fortnite.

What will blizzard do? Try to entice them back by making wow more fortnite styled content and new BGs where you can build mini forts and fight 100 people.

It's terrible business practice, they should be asking tthe original A-team for advice which would likely be to make wow more like dungeons and dragons again... mire like an RPG that takes literally months of investment to get to the end-game content which then takes many many months more to complete with skill building and all the oher important RPG elements they gutted from us, oh and to unlock our spec cages and let us be our own version of a damn warlock like we used to be able to.

It is to an extend some of the older players being dead, stopping , etc... , etc... but it is only a small part.

I am an old timer and already 39 yet i made it irl too and still got some time here and then to play and many old players did too it's more than that.

The game isn't new players friendly it's too long and harsh to catch up not only from scrap but also the terrible economy in game now.

Also the lack of quality and innvations in this x-pack, one terrible bg map and that's it ... the amount of bugs and imbalance not adressed but always delayed: wait next patch it will be greener and better.

The game still feeing like in beta, allied race having very few class choice and customizations options while being a major part of that x-pack why even bother ?

Game being a boring grind feast without any feel f entiltement like there used t have before in some x-pack and it's nt like they didn't get the money support from long time players since we did return again and throwed some money into the game once again, it's their lazyness and lack of interest in the customers.

They just don't care anymore and they lost the fire not us which is innaceptable when you are being paid !
15/10/2018 22:24Posted by Trelw
@Mortheria: Thank you, but...

Quote from Q2 info:

"Subscription, licensing, and other revenues represent revenues from World of Warcraft subscriptions, licensing royalties from our products and franchises, downloadable content, microtransactions, and other miscellaneous revenues."

This does NOT give sufficient info to reverse engineer the number of subscriptions. In fact, it is not even entirely WoW related. Additionally, comparing the figures for 2nd quarter of 2016 to 2018 shows the category in question has grown... 1 069 million dollars in 2016, 1 150 million dollars in 2017 and 1 177 million in 2018.

Then how can you say it is fake? You do not have the actual figures. You are basing your guesstimation on what?
Where do you get your data from?
15/10/2018 23:10Posted by Poly

Tell me 1 good reason why they don't release the actual numbers then?

Just because they say it's fake does not mean it's actually fake. It's damage control.

What good will it do?

If Blizzard releases the numbers this will happen:

- Low numbers: "We knew it all along, all you stupid white knights will have to eat your words now. And fire Ion by the way.

- High numbers: "Those are not the real numbers. It's PR to keep the shareholders happy. Stop lying to us Blizzard.

If they release the sub numbers as part of the annual financial report you can bet your !@# on that those are the right numbers or close approximations. Providing fake numbers on a financial report would get them sued to high heaven if anybody found out.

Fact is - they have stopped providing sub numbers since Legion. The only logical conclusion is that the numbers looked bad, and the numbers that WA dug up look bad enough that you would want to hide them.
@Destruct: A very major correction... There are about 3,7 million 120s on US and EU only... RealmPop does not track China or Russia, etc. There are guaranteed more than 3,7 million 120s across the globe. Even if I slash by 3, US and EU alone would have over 1,23 million players at 120... and then people like me, who have zero 120s so far, lots of people levelling up Mag'har orcs and DIDs. And on the opposing side, RealmPop does not track activity, some of those 120s are already offline... whether for time being or forever, depends on their players.

Then... there are about 146 000 records on WCR for active 110s, almost all of which are capped (Legion level accounts), presenting an absolute minimum of almost 50 000 more players.

I do not think there is anyone present, who thinks that Russia, China & others have a total player base of less than 420 000 total?

Quite simply, having a world wide total of only 1,7 million with current activity figures is plain impossible. Not to mention it would mean that Blizzard would have lost more that SIX million players within just 61 days.
Aasia doesn't count and Russia is added to the EU. The only real subs this game has are US servers and EU servers the rest are all on a pay per minute/hour. You don't recognize having only 3.7m (tops) 120 chars 2 months is a bad sign when it crosses the entire western market, like I said you can easily divide this by 2 at minimun. And because Blizzar dkeeps refusing to releas the real numbers since the Fiasco this is all we have, the number of chars and activity. But even just looking at chars at 120 in both the US and EU servers is pathetic considering atleast 1 alt per player.

16/10/2018 00:24Posted by Joblob
Then how can you say it is fake? You do not have the actual figures. You are basing your guesstimation on what?
Where do you get your data from?
Atleast we are using realmpop and activity trackers and those results are not looking very good. Under 2m players on EU and US servers if we count 1 alt per player at 120. There is only 1 way to solve and that is for Blizzard to release the sub numbers, for each region seperatly.
@Abacabb: Actually, the main function of sharding is too keep the world servers from crashing by disabling the ability to overcrowd a single location, such as Stormwind or Orgrimmar.

@Joblob: See my reply to Destruct. 1,7 million world wide is simply insufficient number of players to maintain current activity figures.
I actualy believe the sub numbers are arround ~2m, I don't remember seeing so much people complaining about an Xpac, and this is the first time in years im active on forums "complaining".
@Destruct: On RealmPop yes... But CensusPlus does not work on the Russian servers and they are therefore not covered. And if you read my post careful, I actually slashed by 3, not 2. 1,7 million world wide is still impossibly low number. And since it was part of what sparked this... Does WeakAuras work on Russian clients? Chinese ones? Korean?
15/10/2018 22:24Posted by Trelw
@Mortheria: Thank you, but...

Quote from Q2 info:

"Subscription, licensing, and other revenues represent revenues from World of Warcraft subscriptions, licensing royalties from our products and franchises, downloadable content, microtransactions, and other miscellaneous revenues."

This does NOT give sufficient info to reverse engineer the number of subscriptions. In fact, it is not even entirely WoW related. Additionally, comparing the figures for 2nd quarter of 2016 to 2018 shows the category in question has grown... 1 069 million dollars in 2016, 1 150 million dollars in 2017 and 1 177 million in 2018.

In older reports it's still possible to find "MMORPG" as a separate source of revenue, which has been replaced by what you mentioned in later reports.

Rolling multiple revenue streams into a single number to make a worsening revenue stream look better is a pretty old tactic.

What also needs to be taken into account is that older reports did not feature micro transactions, such as WoW Tokens or boosts, which simply didn't exist back in Cata, nor was the game as popular in Asia as it is now. The listed revenue under "MMORPG" was 1 200 million back in 2010.

The revenue may very well still be good, but that isn't necessarily an indicator of active players in the Western regions due to the game's popularity in Asia. The Asian player base may be inflating the total revenue number, while the number we care about - the Western player base, has gone down.

This is all, obviously, just speculation.
16/10/2018 00:06Posted by Trelw
@Serious: Answer me a fairly simple question, then, please?

There is an official Blizzard record for Q4 of 2015, to my recollection it was 5,6 million. There are now far more active EU and US characters than there were at the end of 2015. IF the average player is playing less both in terms of hours and characters AND there are less players than at the end of 2015, how is this possible? :)

I honestly couldn't tell you anything backed by proof, but logically I believe that if there's more characters now than before, I'd lean towards the belief that it's because of the character slot increase per realm, as well as more players making alts (especially allied races) and wanting to try out different classes/specs, searching for that one fun spec - which is hard to find in BFA.
Honestly, the "Leak" sounds like fake news to me.

And whoever says "Oh but it is from Weakauras, one of the most liked Addon people, they would NEVER post something inaccurate!" is being silly. Everyone is capable of being mislead, or mislead themselves.

I mean honestly, suggesting that WoW dropped to such a small number... The game may not be as popular but it's not THAT unpopular!
15/10/2018 13:48Posted by Sinndor
https://twitter.com/WeakAuras/status/1051812677578838016

Seems pretty legit. WA would not post something if they were not sure if sub numbers are correct.

Down to 1,7M players boys. I am not ranting. But man. Maybe Blizz will finaly wake up.

why do you care?

Seriously - what has it got to do with you - leave or stay - you pay the sub - if Blizz don't care they are happy with the numbers
"Because people do not like to read more than one tweet in a thread: there is 0 proof to this and no way to proof it since the source has vanished. Blizzard contacted me and said it's false as well." - Guy who posted this

https://twitter.com/WeakAuras/status/1051876911998296066

Blizzard has told the dev who "leaked" a rumour.. like wtf even is that, leaking a rumour... jesus.

He even tweeted initially, in the damn follow ups he had ZERO proof it was accurate.

"keep that in mind before spreading this as a fact. Just because something ended up being written on the internet, does not mean it's true." - Guy who posted this, to OP of this thread who did it anyway.

OP learn to read the whole twitter thread before you post you little ^%£% stirrer.
15/10/2018 23:41Posted by Ivanooze
This was debunked wasn't it? Not reading every page, but top post on /r/wow seems to think so

Yup. A longer statement from the guy who started the whole landslide:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9ogzdh/clarification_about_what_happened_today_weakauras/

but some people will continue to believe whatever impossible things they want to believe, like

- The earth is flat
- The moon landings were filmed in Hollywood
- Coffee ice-cream is fit for human consumption

and once their conspiracy-bones have been tickled, they just don't let go.

I find it interesting but not surprising that the fake page cane from a post on the Site Which Is Not To be Named, the dedicated WoW botting/hacking site that was the origin of the recent "Infinite World Quest Rewards" hoax.
15/10/2018 13:59Posted by Eggs
Subs aside, how does this stuff even leak? That seems like a big issue in itself.

The source is in the op, right?

Basically by a oversight the subnumbers were exposed in the 3rd party developer API. Now if the numbers are correct and if they are really global minus china or are indeed just NA numbers is open for debate, based on the fact that NA and EU Servers are run on different infrastructure.
16/10/2018 02:27Posted by Uzochi
The source is in the op, right?

The alleged source is in the OP, and it's wrong.

Read the Reddit link in my post above yours. The origin of this was an anonymous post on the same botting site that gave us the recent "Infinite World Quest Rewards" hoax.
16/10/2018 00:32Posted by Trelw
@Destruct: A very major correction... There are about 3,7 million 120s on US and EU only... RealmPop does not track China or Russia, etc. There are guaranteed more than 3,7 million 120s across the globe. Even if I slash by 3, US and EU alone would have over 1,23 million players at 120... and then people like me, who have zero 120s so far, lots of people levelling up Mag'har orcs and DIDs. And on the opposing side, RealmPop does not track activity, some of those 120s are already offline... whether for time being or forever, depends on their players.

Then... there are about 146 000 records on WCR for active 110s, almost all of which are capped (Legion level accounts), presenting an absolute minimum of almost 50 000 more players.

I do not think there is anyone present, who thinks that Russia, China & others have a total player base of less than 420 000 total?

Quite simply, having a world wide total of only 1,7 million with current activity figures is plain impossible. Not to mention it would mean that Blizzard would have lost more that SIX million players within just 61 days.

Dmg contral deployed
16/10/2018 00:32Posted by Trelw

I don't even know what realmpop is but if it isn't Blizzard then it is made up/estimated data for starters.
Where was it said the 1,7 million was a world wide total?
Lost SIX million within 61 days? Where the hell did you pull that figure from? Are you seriously saying that there were 7,7 million players within the last 62 days?

I have always been a fan of your studious number crunching especially in the 'realm-merge' posts and i will say right now that i don't believe for one second that wow subs are as low as 1,7 million but what you are spouting in this thread is opinion and estimation and trying to pass them off as fact is complete BS.
16/10/2018 02:17Posted by Gráinne
but some people will continue to believe whatever impossible things they want to believe, like

- The earth is flat
- The moon landings were filmed in Hollywood
- Coffee ice-cream is fit for human consumption

Wait! What? They Killed Kenny?