RIP WoW?

General
Prev 1 7 8 9 24 Next
Well hopefully it will last till that new lord of the rings mmo xD
@Mortheria: Would you care to elaborate for years specifically 2016 to 2018, please? Because WoW related income as a lump can not be used as a measure of subscriptions. EU has 8 different values, if one includes UK and token based payments. US adds another 4 different pricing models. Toss in mounts, pets, transfers, expansion sales, etc...

The data I have seen does not specify: X amount from EU subscriptions, Y from US, etc? If I have missed out on such a specific data source, then kindly give me a direct link and I will do more reading...
15/10/2018 21:37Posted by Linir
Well hopefully it will last till that new lord of the rings mmo xD

i worry .. because they call it a MMO ... and not mmorpg ... makes me think it is going to be a crappy RUST style game :( "life is feudal" etc..

much like amazons new MMO which that idiot youtuber labled mmorpg when its obviously a pvp !@#$efest MMO
The last quarterly results showed a drop in the blizzard division subs, this is correlated with the same figures 2016-2018. These results are posted every 3 months on the Activision under the heading Blizzard Division look there thank you your welcome.
15/10/2018 21:59Posted by Mortheria
The last quarterly results showed a drop in the blizzard division subs, this is correlated with the same figures 2016-2018. These results are posted every 3 months on the Activision under the heading Blizzard Division look there thank you your welcome.

Does that show subs? I thought it was only the big picture financial data as opposed to how many actual subs? Also for the last quarter the results would be slightly skewed anyway due to end of expansion lull ( which would be normal) the next quarter will show bfa sales plus a rise in subs for the quarter so again would be skewed slightly. It may actually show better results than people are expecting next time but the February ones will be a better gage I reckon.

Is BFA saveable though? I really don't think it is, they are too far down the rabbit hole.

Of course it is. Put more resources into it for more content, and more frequent content = more subs.

But WeakAuras already said that leak was false.

Its not the content thats killing the game though.
15/10/2018 20:19Posted by Elaynne
This is obviously fake leak, but if BFA was really dying, Classic would be cancelled and all development and resources would be shifted to BFA for more content.

Reality check hitting vanilla fanboys in the face like a truck.
15/10/2018 20:19Posted by Elaynne
15/10/2018 20:16Posted by Ouragan
Uhh, no. Just like with Runescape, Classic will make Modern wow merrily a mobile joke. It will hunt the modern devs to no end, they are so far up themselves with this modern trash.

Uhh, yes. Runescape was always small game, always in decline. Even OSRS just make it small !@#$ty game larger than their new %^-*ty game. BFA makes tons of money. Legion made tons of money. Activision is now in charge, no more Blizzard CEO. This is obviously fake leak, but if BFA was really dying, Classic would be cancelled and all development and resources would be shifted to BFA for more content.

BFA is not dying, it's already dead. Modern wow is a dying breed. It is the best move to get Classic out asap as it will be the more played -- paid version of wow.
@Mortheria: Thank you, but...

Quote from Q2 info:

"Subscription, licensing, and other revenues represent revenues from World of Warcraft subscriptions, licensing royalties from our products and franchises, downloadable content, microtransactions, and other miscellaneous revenues."

This does NOT give sufficient info to reverse engineer the number of subscriptions. In fact, it is not even entirely WoW related. Additionally, comparing the figures for 2nd quarter of 2016 to 2018 shows the category in question has grown... 1 069 million dollars in 2016, 1 150 million dollars in 2017 and 1 177 million in 2018.
15/10/2018 21:53Posted by Trelw

The data I have seen does not specify: X amount from EU subscriptions, Y from US, etc? If I have missed out on such a specific data source, then kindly give me a direct link and I will do more reading...

Not much for looking on forums but since the "leak" and my own experience in the game so far I thought I would look to see what is going on. Could you share this data you have seen ?

I played from vanilla up to about Cata and came back part way through Legion joined a smallish guild which was great usually 20-40 people on each night and it stayed like that until Bfa even through the first month of Bfa but now its down to about 8 people and 2 of them aren't re- subbing.
WoW is dying? I don't know if this is good news or bad news beacuse maybe blizzard will do something. This game has everything to be great again if they could just hear player feedback
I'm pretty sure that BfA and Legion play a smaller role in the drop of sub numbers. There are many problems that started much earlier.

A lot of changes to group finding (LfD, CRZ, LfR, changes in raid lockouts, group finder) really damaged the social aspect of WoW. Even if they are practical, you often play group content with strangers you will probably never see again.

Because dungeons and raids became more a typical activity, there is less and less other content worth doing.

Blizzard did nothing in the first expansions to keep older content still interesting, and everything is about endgane content. So the only thing you canreally do before now 120 is leveling solo. With all the scalings and squishes (and the fact that you can do everything with a max lvl chara) you can't even do older raids for their expected lvl.
We have a huge world, but from the basic game and 7 expansions only the last one is really worth playing (except rushing through old content for rewards like mounts/transmog).
So if the curent expansion is bad the whole game is so, too.

Also WoW is an old game. It's no wonder when there aren't new players and those who left the game already will leave again after playing the new expansion for a few months just to see that it changed too much.

I play WoW nearly exlusively with my guild(and still enjoy the game). And to be honest without them I would have already left the game, because it feels more like some rpg/moba combination.

I don't want to defend Legion or BfA, but I think for many normal players all the problems that came with the last 2 expansions just plays a minor role compared to the things I mentioned.

EDIT: also it's pretty obvious that MoPs setting and WoD as whole caused a lot of harm when it comes to sub numbers.
Classic enthusiasm will wane in 1 month.
I refuse to believe that those numbers are false. If it actually comes from Blizzards API it just has to be true. There is also no way WA would lie or spread false informations.

I can imagine Blizzard threatening them since it's obviously something they did not want to be public.

Lets just hope those numbers will wake them up.
OFFTOPIC: did you guys hear mojang are making a dungeon crawler based off minecraft?
15/10/2018 22:51Posted by Juliuscesar
I refuse to believe that those numbers are false. If it actually comes from Blizzards API it just has to be true. There is also no way WA would lie or spread false informations.

I can imagine Blizzard threatening them since it's obviously something they did not want to be public.

Lets just hope those numbers will wake them up.

WA themselves said those numbers are probably fake and later confirmed that they were false.
I really don’t know why you lot believe everything you read.
If there’s over 7.4billion people in the world there sure as hell is more than 1.7m people playing wow.
I’d say it’s more around 10million.
All these people that say the leave never actually leave they just re sub 1 month to a year down the line.
You lot are just like sheep in the things you believe...
15/10/2018 22:59Posted by Wolfblood

You lot are just like sheep in the things you believe...

The Irony crits you for over 9000...
@Juliuscesar: Regardless of what you believe, according to what other players have already posted, Blizzard has told WA the numbers are fake. So, you are wrong.
15/10/2018 21:17Posted by Trelw
@Yinke: While there are a LOT of players on level 120, the level spread has altered since launch rush... Going back a few weeks, I reported many factions activity had 80, even 88+% of 120s. I checked a few of my notes and screenshots. As of today, there are factions where only about 63% are 120s. In other words, many people have finished unlocking their DIDs and Mag'har ocrs and are happily playing those. In one sample I just looked at, only about 42% of almost 500 Mag'har I have seen since Saturday afternoon had reached level 110 and that 42% was split about 41% for 120, 1% for 110 to 119, which means a majority of them are still levelling away. That was on a "High" server with a significant alliance bias.

My current .lua on Argent Dawn is tiny, the sample currently only has 72 Mag'har... but out of those, only 24 are 120 and an additional 9 at 110 to 119. Complete contrast to Nightborne... 99 on file, 84 are 120, 1 at 110 and 2 between 111 and 119.

All in all, as I have also noted in other threads, one can NOT ignore sub 120s. In fact, today their relative significance is higher than it was 6 weeks ago. And before anyone says: "Everyone has a 120...", no, that is not correct. I, for example, do not.

then release the data. Becuz releasing dis Mount with 180 GT means u want ppl stay 6 months more.
But with 0 out world content how the hell ppl would play it.
Also many spec killed after WOD? Then u get surprised why ppl quit ? If the spec cannot be enjoyed then nobody will enjoy it. I hate the logic how Blizzard thinks becuz dis is going to kill the game.