Blizzcon Streams with DRM

General

i highly doubt it will be the loss this time with the price of the ticket.

depending on how many people actually bought it ..

It's a loss every time they do blizzcon my dude. They know this and have stated they do not do it for the financial gain. No matter how high those ticket prices go, they'd be lucky if they even came remotely close to leveling out the money they put in.

show me where you have the numbers and i'll take your word for it :).. otherwise stop assuming based off your own assumptions :)
01/11/2018 16:58Posted by Typhór
<span class="truncated">...</span>

sales. word of mouth more eyes more distance

they are more interested in the quick money fix rather than the bigger longer money fix.

either that or they know they got nothing amazing to talk about this year.

You do know they always run Blizzcon at a loss right? Every time. This is not to say about the money the games make outside of Blizzcon etc but for this event itself they don't gain from it financially.

Yeah the 10 000 000 that they make only with presential tickets isnt enough to organize a 2 day event like Blizzcon :p Now imagine the amount they make with virtual tickets... Toillet paper probably is made of gold foil.
01/11/2018 17:04Posted by Pixelbear
It's a loss every time they do blizzcon my dude. They know this and have stated they do not do it for the financial gain. No matter how high those ticket prices go, they'd be lucky if they even came remotely close to leveling out the money they put in.

show me where you have the numbers and i'll take your word for it :).. otherwise stop assuming based off your own assumptions :)

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/blizzard-incurs-substantial-loss-from-blizzcon/1100-6228656/

Blizzard do not give actual numbers due to obvious reasons. But have stated they run the con at a loss. This is not an assumption, it is fact. :)

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/blizzard-incurs-substantial-loss-from-blizzcon/1100-6228656/

Blizzard do not give actual numbers due to obvious reasons. But have stated they run the con at a loss. This is not an assumption, it is fact. :)

then there is no proof without numbers ... just misdirections .. same with the weakauras .blizzard sub debacle..

"NO TRUE BUT WE WONT PROOVE IT"

that was also a article from 2009 :/

EDIT: wow was at its highest around then... they where prob spending alot more and charging less .. there was also no virtual tickets back then

(edit my bad 2009 was the first virtual ticket)

also the price is nearly $100 more expensive for a physical ticket now than it was in 2009

EDIT EDIT: it looks like they lowered the physical ticket by $25 but raised the virtual ticket
01/11/2018 17:11Posted by Pixelbear

then there is no proof without numbers ... just misdirections .. same with the weakauras .blizzard sub debacle..

EDIT: wow was at its highest around then... they where prob spending alot more and charging less .. there was also no virtual tickets back then

also the price is nearly $100 more expensive for a physical ticket now than it was in 2009

EDIT EDIT: it looks like they lowered the physical ticket by $25 but raised the virtual ticket

Well I mean the first part then comes down to you either think Blizzard is lying about Blizzcon being a loss...which personally I'd find odd. Or you believe them.

You have to also take into account they have made Blizzcon much bigger than it was since 2009 as well. Although the Overwatch arena was built for Esports events it still serves as one of the stages at Blizzcon and I can't imagine how much that cost alone. Just for one example.

EDIT: wow was at its highest around then... they were prob spending alot more and charging less .. there was also no virtual tickets back then

Well I mean the first part then comes down to you either think Blizzard is lying about Blizzcon being a loss...which personally I'd find odd. Or you believe them.

You have to also take into account they have made Blizzcon much bigger than it was since 2009 as well. Although the Overwatch arena was built for Esports events it still serves as one of the stages at Blizzcon and I can't imagine how much that cost alone. Just for one example.

i don't think they are lying .. honestly i think they where still high from the 12.2million players in WOTLK which was the expansion at the time and mismanaged their spending.

the fact is they can easily turn blizzcon into a profit if they wanted to if they arent already .. the fact the aren't now if they aren't is their own mistake. we will never know for sure .. but i cant imagine they would continue running the event at a loss every year its just not very imaginative of them for a company which loves money.
01/11/2018 17:27Posted by Pixelbear

i don't think they are lying .. honestly i think they where still high from the 12.2million players in WOTLK which was the expansion at the time and mismanaged their spending.

the fact is they can easily turn blizzcon into a profit if they wanted to if they arent already .. the fact the aren't now if they aren't is their own mistake. we will never know for sure .. but i cant imagine they would continue running the event at a loss every year its just not very imaginative of them for a company which loves money.

Well we don't know for sure except by what they say of course. But I am inclined to believe they still do run it at a loss because the publicity and notice they get from Blizzcon is pretty crazy and probably worth the spending. It comes back to them in the long run I'm sure.
OP has one clear intention: Piracy.

Obvious from previous comments.
01/11/2018 18:11Posted by Tymaar

lol, i hope you are trolling right now
some people don't like to use proprietary software whenever possible, or AT ALL
then there's the simple argument he made, why force users to install extra software when all the major browsers are shipped with dash/hls support?
i couldn't care less about viewing blizzcon, pirated or not, but i support his request
01/11/2018 18:11Posted by Tymaar

Where do you deduce that from?
I'm sure I'll get the content free eventually in some form or another. Like hell I'm going to pay for a company advertising their product line-up :>
01/11/2018 19:41Posted by Shopkeeper
I'm sure I'll get the content free eventually in some form or another. Like hell I'm going to pay for a company advertising their product line-up :>

You are ruining the point i am trying to make
01/11/2018 19:49Posted by Comoia
01/11/2018 19:41Posted by Shopkeeper

You are ruining the point i am trying to make

Is that because you equate me not finding it worth it... the same as me pirating it?

Just to be clear:
What I mean with "In some form or another" can be: whatever blizzard feels to give out free eventually and Wowhead articles/forum posts.

I am with you on DRM though, in my opinion it nearly always impacts customers negatively. Be it waste of resources or worse performance/compatibility issues. For what is: a futile battle

It's only a fact if you readily accept everything the internet tells you is true.

I mean, Blizz have to pay for venue hire and travel adn accomodation for employees. Those are the biggest costs.

On the flips side you have tens of thousands of people paying top dollar to physically attend and many many thousands paying more than a game costs to tune into some streams.

And you think it doesn't make money?
01/11/2018 16:58Posted by Typhór
You do know they always run Blizzcon at a loss right? Every time. This is not to say about the money the games make outside of Blizzcon etc but for this event itself they don't gain from it financially.

That was given years ago when WoW was thier only major game and before they had e-sports and most importantly the e-ticket. I'd say overall Blizzcon now makes a profit, why would they expand it!