DM solo. A necessary change

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
Classic is here to let us do things the way it was done in vanilla. The fact that the idea of farming instances didn't come across YOUR mind back in vanilla doesn't mean it didn't to others. Instance farming has always been a huge WoW even in vanilla.

And no one beside you are anything along the lines of "but, you can still farm in group/community" People will always farm the way they find to be most efficient and this rarely includes grouping in the open world. If you are farming in the world you're not interested in sharing your profits because why should you when you don't have to? That seems to be what you're trying to force down peoples throat your version of how farming in vanilla should only ever be done in groups because if that not how you do it you're doing it wrong. This sentiment is just utter BS.

People want classic to be as authentic to vanilla as we can get. We do NOT want your silly twisted version.
Disagree. Part of Vanilla was actually the need to be in a good guild.

You needed to behave yourself too and not be an !@#$%^ in those days.
09/11/2018 22:38Posted by Zayra
Disagree. Part of Vanilla was actually the need to be in a good guild.

You needed to behave yourself too and not be an !@#$%^ in those days.

I fail to see how anyone here advocated for being rude or disrespectful to other people or in any other way do anything that could ever harm your chances to join a guild
I was confused about whether we were talking Deadmines or Dire Maul. Figured 100g from Deadmines sounded silly though so it must be the other one.

Anyhow, it's very unlikely the economy will be the same as it used to be in vanilla. So please don't go there thinking you can enforce prices or be upset things are different because you insist on making it what it 'used to be'. It won't work. Because economy.

I'm just throwing it out there in advance.
Of course it's about Dire Maul :)

09/11/2018 18:47Posted by Siégfried
Classic is here to let us do things the way it was done in vanilla. The fact that the idea of farming instances didn't come across YOUR mind back in vanilla doesn't mean it didn't to others. Instance farming has always been a huge WoW even in vanilla.

Yep, i missed it. And ofc it doesn't mean no one was doing it. But in Classic, it will be an unavoidable farming spot, from what i have seen it's really worth. And a part of solo farmers vs nearly everyone is gonna be a huge difference.

And i'm not against solo farm in dungeon, if you go in, kill mobs and farm from this because you are more powerfull it's TOTALY OK.
But "exploiting" AI in end game dungeon to reach ALONE a specific mob/location follow a certain path is not "OK" for me. More like an exploit.

Don't you want Classic to be a longer journey like the whole Vanilla experience (2 years?) cause not fixing thing like this + 1.12 is gonna give us a shorter and easier journey.
I'd like Classic to last as long as possible and not be "ruined" in few months
10/11/2018 08:58Posted by Pandycloud

Don't you want Classic to be a longer journey like the whole Vanilla experience (2 years?) cause not fixing thing like this + 1.12 is gonna give us a shorter and easier journey.
I'd like Classic to last as long as possible and not be "ruined" in few months

Not "fixing" DM farm actually makes game harder. If there will be alot of farmers (i remember back there after typing "/who dire maul" the list was full of hunters and output was limited to like 50? results), there will be a way more gold in economy so everything in AH will be more expensive. So game will be harder for all others.
10/11/2018 08:58Posted by Pandycloud
And i'm not against solo farm in dungeon, if you go in, kill mobs and farm from this because you are more powerfull it's TOTALY OK.
But "exploiting" AI in end game dungeon to reach ALONE a specific mob/location follow a certain path is not "OK" for me. More like an exploit.

A hunter using his class ability Feign Death to reset packs is in no way shape or form exploiting anything. He is simply using one of his class mechanics. At no point in a solo trib run as a hunter is there any exploiting happening at all.

As for the longevity of classic this will have little to no negative impact rather it's going to help the economy by lowering cost of high end enchanting mats and likely the most important herb in the game mountain silversage, which is used for consumables by every single class in the game, due to the steady supply of major mana potions from hunters running tribute.

On the other hand by making changes to instance such as DM and taking away all the high-end gold farming methods they provide means more people have to spend a lot longer farming gold something which is a tedious task rather than doing things they find fun.

So now i ask you what do you think will have the bigger negative impact on the longevity of classic, making it more tedious by introducing changes or leave it as it was and giving players more time to engage in the activities they find fun and interesting?
10/11/2018 10:00Posted by Siégfried

On the other hand by making changes to instance such as DM and taking away all the high-end gold farming methods they provide means more people have to spend a lot longer farming gold something which is a tedious task rather than doing things they find fun.

So now i ask you what do you think will have the bigger negative impact on the longevity of classic, making it more tedious by introducing changes or leave it as it was and giving players more time to engage in the activities they find fun and interesting?

I remember vanilla to be full of tedious and sometimes boring tasks that were asking you a lot of time to obtain (level max, epic mount...).
BUT when you were reaching your goal it was a such GOOD FEELING.

It made people gathering, to make thoses tasks faster and funnier and that's where community make a sense and where you were creating relationship.

Perhaps i just don't feel the same "nostalgia" as the others. Just want it to be back a true MMO & RPG.
10/11/2018 10:47Posted by Pandycloud
I remember vanilla to be full of tedious and sometimes boring tasks that were asking you a lot of time to obtain (level max, epic mount...).
BUT when you were reaching your goal it was a such GOOD FEELING.

It made people gathering, to make thoses tasks faster and funnier and that's where community make a sense and where you were creating relationship.

Perhaps i just don't feel the same "nostalgia" as the others. Just want it to be back a true MMO & RPG.

None of the things you mention are impacted by hunters being able to do solo trib runs.

Plain old regular gold farming has never been a group activity no one wants to spend 5 times as long getting the gold they need for next months raid consumables than they have to.

People group up when they have a common goal or wish to help someone fulfill a specific goal, and the reason they do this is to increase efficiency of said endeavor.

DM farming has no impact on how or why people socialize. In fact you can argue this actually fosters community by giving players yet another area where they have the ability to compete with others from their class to see who can do better who is the fastest.
It was quite a big thing between the hunters in my last Pserver guild.
Hunters needs gold too for their ammo and pet food,stop being a crybaby.
08/11/2018 17:29Posted by Grupp

- See something you have an issue with
- Try to think up justifications for the thing you disagree with
- Eventually come up with some marginal, byzantine scenario that fits the criteria.
- Use that invented scenario as the basis for all your arguments about why that thing should be changed.

Hilarious and spot on. Can we conjure some word for this phenomenon? I've got it going in some threads where they discuss the new loot rule. "Say 4 melee are in a group and you join as melee. But they are friends and they unequip HoJ all 3 except for the one who needs it. Then they all roll against you and pretend they need it and secretly..."
10/11/2018 08:31Posted by Miraine
I was confused about whether we were talking Deadmines or Dire Maul. Figured 100g from Deadmines sounded silly though so it must be the other one.

Anyhow, it's very unlikely the economy will be the same as it used to be in vanilla. So please don't go there thinking you can enforce prices or be upset things are different because you insist on making it what it 'used to be'. It won't work. Because economy.

I'm just throwing it out there in advance.

Dire Maul? Are you sure?
Here I thought they were talking about Dun Morogh.

Figured that the Hunters would farm it to take all the Boar Tusks and sell them. Cheap at first, but after a while they start to jack up the prices. Jack em' up I'll tells ya! 500 Hunters doing illegal tusk sales sure would crash the economy.
No, no it was Dustwallow Marsh, all those Hunters soloing Onyxia broke the prices of enchanting mats back then. Some of them also had skinning and made those damn fancy cloaks
12/11/2018 22:35Posted by Taxation
08/11/2018 17:29Posted by Grupp

- See something you have an issue with
- Try to think up justifications for the thing you disagree with
- Eventually come up with some marginal, byzantine scenario that fits the criteria.
- Use that invented scenario as the basis for all your arguments about why that thing should be changed.

Hilarious and spot on. Can we conjure some word for this phenomenon? I've got it going in some threads where they discuss the new loot rule. "Say 4 melee are in a group and you join as melee. But they are friends and they unequip HoJ all 3 except for the one who needs it. Then they all roll against you and pretend they need it and secretly..."

Dunno why you find it amusing because it does happen. Some dungeons need little healing at high levels and many just switch to their more offensive spells to burst. Take hybrids like druids or paladins, mix that with 3 dps, then watch as 2 or more may be friends and outroll others because they have a bonus roll or rolls.

GL on convincing anyone this is just some fantasy that never occurs. Play any private servers for as long as I have and you'll realise just how corrupt things can get.

It's the 'rule of minimum', that's the correct term for it. It's kind of a cross between 'appeal to emotion' and 'slippery slope'.

It basically involves imagining a worst case scenario that, in reality is probably not going to happen very often, and then using that scenario as a basis for your arguments. It's a very, very common in internet discussions, and one that you always need to be wary of, because a 'rule of minimum' argument can often sound superficially convincing unless you really take the time to consider it.

The people who use it most are politicians who want to bring in new laws, strengthen, or repeal existing laws, or generally meddle in society due to some kind of philosophical premise.

"We must see this [insert bad thing] outlawed at once because children may get hold of it and [do something unlikely]. Imagine what would happen if YOUR CHILD [interacted with bad thing] and [did unlikely thing] with it?"

It's playing upon the kneejerk emotional reaction of parents scared for their children, who then support the change on that basis, without considering the wider implications, or ripple effect of making such a change - or the fact that basic good parenting would almost certainly ensure that their child was never within a million miles of being affected.

I used to solo farm the start of Scholomance on my Retribution paladin in vanilla...

I don't understand why people want to change these things - they were not well known, but that's what 14 years of stale content creates.

Fully expecting the economy to suffer inflation thanks to the improved farming methods perfected over the last decade, I just hope they stamp out the Devilsaur mafia's due to the cross-faction cooperation element.
13/11/2018 12:28Posted by Hottage

I used to solo farm the start of Scholomance on my Retribution paladin in vanilla...

I don't understand why people want to change these things - they were not well known, but that's what 14 years of stale content creates.

Fully expecting the economy to suffer inflation thanks to the improved farming methods perfected over the last decade, I just hope they stamp out the Devilsaur mafia's due to the cross-faction cooperation element.

The Mafia shouldn't be a thing due to the seperation of time zones. Not enough US players on EU servers to maintain a monopoly 24/7
Either keep things as they were and be true to vanilla or nerf all ways of making gold.
Blizzard can decide I guess.
What would be wrong is to isolate this to a single class in this single instance where the class already struggles in viability in raids other than being brought for tranq shots.