Elemental vs Balance

General
Hey guys,

I want to re-roll for a Caster dps and these seem to be viable options. I have played other classes at high levels like Warlock and Hunter and Priest, but never Balance or Elemental.

Tried looking around online for guides or videos for each class to see how they perform in Mythic + and Raiding and all that, but to me it seems like they are equally viable and have great damage potential.

I do a lot of PvP as well so I will definitely end up doing some PvP with my re roll, whatever class I choose to re roll into.

My question is, based on your experiences, what seems to be the better option in terms of gameplay (rotation and spells), damage potential in Mythic + and Raid bosses and more enjoyable (Not looking for another Mongoloid 3 button rotation class).

I'm thinking of using a 110 Character boost I have on my account to get started in BFA straight away, so I can't really play both and try them out to see how they feel. From what I saw online they both seem like they would fit my play style and are both quite similar to one another, so I guess it all comes down to people with experience on either one of the classes and how they feel they perform in the current expansion for PvE and some PvP content.

Thanks for your replies
in terms of damage they are equal , in terms of m+ utility balance is better and shamans have bad rep.For raiding pick whatever you find more fun they are exactly the same on dps charts.

For PvP balance druids are super meta right now if you have watched the blizzcon arena championship.I havent seen any elementals in arenas or have watched any so i dont know how good they are but i gues they are not.Ench shamans on other hands are super imba in turbo cleave 3v3 comps.
Balance, always will be broken. :P
Dunno what you seen about shammies, but they are very low rly. You can see them in PVP but that's pretty much it. Boomies are alright and bring some utility in m+. I haven't tried PVPing much myself with boomie, but i hear they are in the decent-aboveaverage-good side. Casters are mostly locks and mages atm for PVE. Surely get more sources as i might be missing something.
Balance have more buttons since it have day/night spells to rotate around eclipse.
Balance is stronger all round currently.

Shamans are fine... more than fine but the mindless stigma attached to them could impact your enjoyment when pugging. People may mindlessly reject you from pugs because “i heard shamans are bad” rather than actually seeing that they can perform well.
I'm biased, but I have never been able to enjoy elemental. I do however enjoy balance a lot. I feel flexible and powerfull as balance.
08/11/2018 07:06Posted by Cinsun
in terms of damage they are equal , in terms of m+ utility balance is better and shamans have bad rep.For raiding pick whatever you find more fun they are exactly the same on dps charts.

For PvP balance druids are super meta right now if you have watched the blizzcon arena championship.I havent seen any elementals in arenas or have watched any so i dont know how good they are but i gues they are not.Ench shamans on other hands are super imba in turbo cleave 3v3 comps.

Thanks for the info! I already knew about Enh shamans because as I main Warrior I mainly played with a Turbo comp in 3v3 with a Enh shaman, but it's true that Elementals aren't that popular in Arenas.

But since I do a lot of Mythic + runs with my guild, its good to keep in consideration which is best for what, especially with AoE potential, so thanks for that!
Balance is better in virtually every situation period.
08/11/2018 07:09Posted by Góttágófást
Balance, always will be broken. :P

So I can deduct from your answer that your opinion lies within the Balance Druid :D ?
Do you want Heal or Heal/Tank as Offspec?
Otherwise, both Speccs are equally mediocre at the moment, with Balance relying on the right Trait way more.
damage seems equivalent with maybe a bit ahead for balance. Id say balance crits way higher but elem aint too far behind.
More buttons for elem, id say, and its a lot more enjoyable to play .. for me anyway, and I find their utility is better too (healing, earth shield, slows, elementals, self rez etc)
Balance is a lot more proccy than elem, so id imagine theyre better for burst and id imagine elem is better for aoe as chain lightning seems to hit everything and comes back to already hit mobs now.
Personally, I much prefer elem and ghost wolf is superb for ghuun orb running :)
08/11/2018 08:01Posted by Uvireath
Do you want Heal or Heal/Tank as Offspec?
Otherwise, both Speccs are equally mediocre at the moment, with Balance relying on the right Trait way more.

Haven't thought about off-spec at the moment, as I mainly want to focus on leveling it to 120 and then gearing it as a dps.

That being said I will probably at one point go heal off-spec as I sometimes enjoy healing especially in Mythic + dungeons, not so much in Raids. And I've never really tried tank, except for a little bit in Legion as a prot warrior so its not my priority, although I wouldn't mind trying it (so I guess for that going Balance is the option)
Then I suggest you go for the Aesthetics, thats what I often do.

You like the Moon and Sun-Theme or the EarthWaterIceFire-Theme more?
You like the Moonkinform/the Blue Astralform or would you rather see your char the way he is?
You like Leatherarmor or Mailarmor more?
08/11/2018 07:22Posted by Jesi
Balance have more buttons since it have day/night spells to rotate around eclipse.

Don't get me wrong, but are you living in 2012?

Reagrds,
Imm
They both play completely differently (main an ele and have a balance alt).

Biased opinion but personally prefer ele in terms of playstyle and asthetics. The biggest difference on a base level tho is consistency, boomkin is far more consistent with dps due to design. Elemental is more of a feast or famine type of dps, with procs for lava burst, mastery which is essentially multistrike and having a passive that increases crit % damage. Essentially, you can do exactly the same thing and if things go your way, you can feel and do great damage, but if they don't, the dps difference is significant. (also the reason why ele cannot be buffed to be baseline high dps, will always be low to average, since when the stars align, damage would be insanely OP). Boomkin on the other hand, you have more control over, doing the same thing is likely to lead to very similar results (far less dps range between pulls and thus probably better suited to progress in pve).

In terms of utility, elemental does edge out balance, but it's very situational and things like capacitor totem (aoe stun) are fairly clunky to use. Ranged interrupt on the shortest CD in game is great, but it also has a decreased ranged to every other spell we have, so takes some getting used to with having to run in a little when u need to interrupt.

In mythic+ ele is not as bad as the community makes it out to be, can hold our own in higher keys if needed, but we're definitely not one of the desirable classes (I think balance is), a lot of that has to do with the rng nature of our dps, not having a niche where we excel and others being able to provide better versions of the same utility (eg, mass dispel or belf racial VS purge, chaos nova instant VS capacitor totem 2 sec delay and things like tremor totem being very situational). Earthquake knockdown is also great, but dependent on mobs living long enough to build up the maelstrom to cast it and then staying within it.

It basically comes down to ele being a "jack of all trades", master of none kinda spec and everything is very niche but not niche enough that we are "stronger" than others. Single target is decent when rng works out and with little movement, burst aoe will be great again in 8.1 with storm keeper changes but it's on a 1 min cd (so if a fight doesn't fit that, it's not as great), sustained aoe is great if you can keep mobs in earthquake (chain lightning may look epic but atm it hits like wet noodle and the vast majority of our aoe damage comes from earthquake).

Know I've spoken a lot more about ele, but that's cos it's my main. But essentially it boils down to personal preference, and how much of an impact consistency has for you. At a base level the pure numbers and pvp viability will change over time and 8.1 may change things in terms of that (that's just how it works) so focused more on the way the class itself is designed and playstyle.

All that said, if one can handle the occasional "meme spec" moments, and the frustration of rng, I'd pick ele over boomkin any day, far more "exciting" to play. They also have hands down the most passionate and helpful community, storm, earth and lava is by far the most well written in depth spec resource I have found.

Edit: I almost forgot earth ele, which can be a godsend and prevent a wipe if a tank dies to trash, or just make life easier for the tank when there is heavy damage or a big pull.