The Open World could be played on a Mobile. Problem?

General
So people are going ballistic over blizzards move to create mobile IP across its games, but when you take a step back and have some perspective....what is the problem?

Everything we do in the open world could be done on a mobile, really. I'm talking about questing, fishing, archy, gathering, wq's, rep grinds etc...all this stuff could be done on a mobile device.

The big challenge would be fitting the UI on to a small device but that can be accomplished by sticking the non-combat items off into a seperate menu.

Provided it didn't impact on raid or dungeon design, would people really care? I think not. Lets all look forward to knocking off loremaster achievement whilst we are on the loo in 2020.
12/11/2018 14:54Posted by Bedezee
So people are going ballistic over blizzards move to create mobile IP across its games, but when you take a step back and have some perspective....what is the problem?

Everything we do in the open world could be done on a mobile, really. I'm talking about questing, fishing, archy, gathering, wq's, rep grinds etc...all this stuff could be done on a mobile device.

The big challenge would be fitting the UI on to a small device but that can be accomplished by sticking the non-combat items off into a seperate menu.

Provided it didn't impact on raid or dungeon design, would people really care? I think not. Lets all look forward to knocking off loremaster achievement whilst we are on the loo in 2020.

Providing less than half a game is not a good idea.

The Warcraft mobile game is probably WC1 and/or WC2 for mobile.
what is the problem?

PC gamers want their PC game company to keep their favourite games on... PC.

People who own a PC set up for playing games don't want to convert to thumb-jabbing a 5 inch screen.
And not sure how to use 15+ abilities on that small screen.

Because mobile will always be an inherently inferior device to a desktop, you cant pack the kind of memory, ram, processing and graphical power of a PC into anything the size of an iPhone or Samsung and say you could, hypothetically, then imagine the kind of things that could be done with on a desktop where the power of a contemporary PC is contained in a package smaller than most current GPU's... On top of that say hypothetically they make wow a cross party mmo with a mobile version, the PC version will have to be hamstrung to the limits of the mobile version to keep things fair. Do mobile all you like but I'm just not in the least bit interested in ever playing games on mobile, I'm a luddite PC gamer and always will be.

The problem is that that content is already so damn watered down. We had one week of challenging questing at 120 because of the scaling and low gear level. It was fun! It was engaging to once again being in danger of dying while questing if you pulled too much or didn't manage your class utility. Then they nerfed the scaling back to where you can pull 3 mobs and they can't kill you for 5 minutes even if you just stand there.

That's so damn frustrating. Why have a world if nothing in it offers the slightest challenge. So big NO for mobile and YES for bringing back dangerous locales and monsters.
12/11/2018 15:16Posted by Stepal
what is the problem?

People who own a PC set up for playing games don't want to convert to thumb-jabbing a 5 inch screen.

The market is moving away from PC gaming and onto mobile/tablet gaming. Most of the time you don't need to use 15 abilities for playing in the open world, it is a matter of improving the UI so it can be used on a much smaller screen. Dinosaurs like us want to keep things on the PC, but I don't think blizzard do. They want to move with the times.
12/11/2018 16:43Posted by Bedezee

The market is moving away from PC gaming and onto mobile/tablet gaming. Most of the time you don't need to use 15 abilities for playing in the open world, it is a matter of improving the UI so it can be used on a much smaller screen. Dinosaurs like us want to keep things on the PC, but I don't think blizzard do. They want to move with the times.

They just want the money from the mobile market. It has nothing to do with anything else.

They want that sweet "BUY 5323 gems for 99.99$ and you can roll again for that sweet transmog on the spin the wheel for 1% chance to get the thing you want".

The only mobile app for wow that should be made is the pet battles app.
Something similar to pokemon go.

People would play the !@#$ out of it and it wouldn't ruin anything in the main game. Those that enjoy pet battles can find, level and duel other players via a mobile app also.

That's the only mobile game that I can see for wow, without causing any backlash or impacting in any way PC players.
This would ultimately screw the AH market up so bad it would be pointless doing anything on wow again.

I currently have my gaming PC linked to a 60" HD TV screen. I just can't imagine trying to heal or tank on an iphone.
12/11/2018 17:18Posted by Dudas
That's the only mobile game that I can see for wow, without causing any backlash or impacting in any way PC players.

I can't see how you could do a dungeon or raid on a mobile, but I can't see why they can't create a separate game for mobile. I don't play mobile games, however it makes financial sense given the market size.

The current game IMO just couldn't be translated in a mobile one as is, however they could do some kind of story based mobile game.
So long it doesn't affect the main games and it's just stuff on the side, I am not going to be that bothered.
12/11/2018 16:43Posted by Bedezee
12/11/2018 15:16Posted by Stepal

No the PC market is bigger than ever and growing, how you can even say that when Steam exists, the seachange is that China pioneered a system to make cheap shovel-ware mobile games that are monetized out the wazzo then sell them in a market that's heavily regulated from outside influence and has a completely different consumer culture to the west. Then western companies tried to cash in on the Chinese market and export it to the West where the gaming culture is more niche and is vastly different and based around beefy hardware like consoles and desktops designed to play games with more depth and features than any mobile game can hope to have and a general disdain for p2w and microtransaction practices, to the point some governments even took notice of the shady crap they were trying to pull and told them to cut it out...

Diablo Immortal and the other mobile games in development are cheap, pathetic attempts by blizzard to buy into a new market and import a terrible system that's designed as a cynical money farm whilst actively spurning the consumers that made it the titan of gaming it is today.
12/11/2018 17:56Posted by Msspellman
I can't see how you could do a dungeon or raid on a mobile,

I'm not suggesting you can. In fact, there is an argument for seperating out the instanced part of the game entirely.

Mobile can't really handle the raid or dungeon environment, but you could definitely manage the open world activities.

Why are people against this? The next generation will spend their lives on their phones, for good or bad, any reasonable games company will migrate their IP to mobile.

Some of you remind me of steam age enthusiasts: yes, steamtrains are nice, but technology is never static.
12/11/2018 19:46Posted by Bedezee
12/11/2018 17:56Posted by Msspellman
I can't see how you could do a dungeon or raid on a mobile,

I'm not suggesting you can. In fact, there is an argument for seperating out the instanced part of the game entirely.

Mobile can't really handle the raid or dungeon environment, but you could definitely manage the open world activities.

Why are people against this? The next generation will spend their lives on their phones, for good or bad, any reasonable games company will migrate their IP to mobile.

Some of you remind me of steam age enthusiasts: yes, steamtrains are nice, but technology is never static.

Im against this because its being done for one reason only, they don't want to make good mobile games or to compliment pc versions, they want to do it to cynically employ the mobile markets mass monetization, to milk the cash cow. Why else would Diablo Immortal be an outsourced reskin of a Chinese phone game made by a company infamous for its !@#$ty pay to win games?
It’s the screen size that will be a concern for me. I have a decent size gaming pc with a good sized monitor. Whacking on to something that is phone/tablet size For me is going to ruin the whole ambience of it, not including having to keep charging the devices.

I take on board some of the games will adapt to going mobile however can’t see how WOW how it exists today can do that. Unless they dumb it right down and then, we’ll what is the point of playing it.

I have seen the forums in terms of tailoring/dumbing down to a younger audience, fair enough to increase subscriptions however to the detriment of the existing player base - sounds not good to me...

They need to find a happy medium that caters for existing/new players

One other observation is how fickle the mobile games are - people flit between tonnes of games and there is a risk people will decide WOW is no longer the flavour of the month and move on to something new that comes out...
Maybe a side game, but not the main game, please.
Its all about the type of game they make.

I would love a pet battle mobile game.You log in with your WoW account , have all your pets , do PvP pet battles , collect more pets and so on.I would absolutely love that.

I would hate a "fully fledged" Warcraft game for mobile.Its a step back.A full stand alone game for mobile?No.It cant be possible as good as a PC game.So its a step back.And when you put the p2w and microtransactions that comes with it , its a monstrosity.Like Diablo Immortal.A very very dumbed down version of D3 , a downgrade and a step back for the franchise , filled with p2w , microtransactions , daily cooldowns and what not.That should not happen.

So , that's it.A side game , connected to the main one - pet battle game , fishing game , etc is fine.More than fine.I want it.It would be awesome.A full greedy mobile game that pulls the franchise backwards is not fine.
Appealing to the wrong market, i dont spend x-hours a day travelling to and from work, i dont spend x-hours away from home long enough to even justify getting such an intense mobile device just to play a game of such requirements..on a mobile?
12/11/2018 19:56Posted by Annallusion
Im against this because its being done for one reason only, they don't want to make good mobile games or to compliment pc versions, they want to do it to cynically employ the mobile markets mass monetization, to milk the cash cow. Why else would Diablo Immortal be an outsourced reskin of a Chinese phone game made by a company infamous for its !@#$ty pay to win games?

Why did you expect anything different from an international corporation? Because they told you they cared?

How excruciatingly naive.

My view is that the more money gets poured into WoW, from whatever source, the greater the chance they will (accidentally) create something good alongside the P2W stuff that will happen inevitably, wether its on PC or mobile.

You really think keeping it on PC is going to prevent them from pursuing the dollar? Why? Have you been playing BFA?