Honestly, you people act hysterical...

General
I couldnt give a !@#$ if they made 100 mobile games as long as they would back it up with some proper games/content for pc aswell.

They did nothing for the pc AND they are not even doing the mobile game... It's some chinese company very well known to make pay 2 win mobile games and they even have one game that looks exactly like Diablo Immortal...

The complaints are very well placed. Blizzard made a big mistake.
13/11/2018 00:23Posted by Keele
12/11/2018 23:59Posted by Destruct
To add to my comment, in 4 years we went from openly mocking mobile at Bliz to making mobile games for every IP with the help of all the best devs.
4 years is a long time in gaming as well as technology.

Some good developers have joined the marketplace since then and there are gems to be found among the piles of trash.

In terms of hardware, we went from 28nm Krait cpus with 2gb dual channel ram to 10nm Kryo cpus with 8gb quad channel ram.

Things are getting better for phones.

it will Always have to fit in your Pocket, so some things will never change. Mobile gaming can only evolve in terms of visual quality and battery. You can hav a fantastic gameplay with cubes, gameplay comes down to creativity.

But when you have to hold the phone, which means half of your hands are already busy, leaving 2 thumbs most of the time, you can't do many things either, so there is a ceiling you will attain very fast gaming Wise.

I'm not into games on mobiles, I use my phone for my fiancee, my family, my friends, and Following up the news through Professional apps. I had in the past some games like basics. Used to like one where you used to make a cube roll and complete levels, was nicely done, liked the music very chill with nice graphics. Those are the nice mobile games I can live with and expect.

But it stops here.

So maybe some aspects are getting better for phones, but it still doesn't justify presenting as the main event of a die hard pc convention an outsourced mobile game as the sole content piece for a historical franchise twhich actively built the name Blizzard, the way we used to like it.

It was a lame thing.
Sad and Curious at the same time, i mean its gonna be a full diablo game on the phone but and thats the sad part with limitations.
No keyboard and mouse so rip smooth and nice controlls, 5-6 inch display not better then an 27 inch one.
Cashshop yeah gonna have one but i guess they not gonna go the pay2win road, gonna be a shop for skin, skincolor, more inventory space, so stuff you can live without.
Another point for me i dont like to play games on my phone for more then 15-20 min, feels good for the neck. :D
I dont think its gonna be bad game just like fire emblem heroes, i like it but the consol/handheld version are until now better.
I can understand the disappointment but on the other site give it a try maybe its gonna be a real good game for the phone.
13/11/2018 00:39Posted by Nim
But when you have to hold the phone, which means half of your hands are already busy, leaving 2 thumbs most of the time, you can't do many things either, so there is a ceiling you will attain very fast gaming Wise.
You can get mobile gamepads that hold the phone, leaving your fingers free to press buttons. It's very popular among PUBG mobile players. You can even map buttons with some apps.

I'm also keen to see if phone VR goes anywhere. With pixel density and performance increasing I'm hopeful.

it still doesn't justify presenting as the main event of a die hard pc conventionan an outsourced mobile game
For sure! If I had paid hundreds or even thousands of $ to travel to blizzcon specifically for Diablo, and Immortal was the biggest news, I'd be mad AF. Thinking back to my 20 year old self when I was obsessed with D2, I totally get where people are coming from.

But it happened, and it's over. The only thing left is to wait and see what else they're planning for Diablo and how Immortal turns out.

Also, despite outsourcing Immortal to Netease, they did say that some of their own developers are involved in the project. So I don't think they're leaving things to chance.
13/11/2018 00:39Posted by Nim
You can get mobile gamepads that hold the phone, leaving your fingers free to press buttons. It's very popular among PUBG mobile players. You can even map buttons with some apps.

I'm also keen to see if phone VR goes anywhere. With pixel density and performance increasing I'm hopeful.

it still doesn't justify presenting as the main event of a die hard pc conventionan an outsourced mobile game
For sure! If I had paid hundreds or even thousands of $ to travel to blizzcon specifically for Diablo, and Immortal was the biggest news, I'd be mad AF. Thinking back to my 20 year old self when I was obsessed with D2, I totally get where people are coming from.

But it happened, and it's over. The only thing left is to wait and see what else they're planning for Diablo and how Immortal turns out.

Also, despite outsourcing Immortal to Netease, they did say that some of their own developers are involved in the project. So I don't think they're leaving things to chance.

You brought thngs I never heared off regarding the possibilities for mobile gaming, thank you.

However, I still disagree for a simple reason: the market might not be suited for it. By that I mean the strength of mobile is the sheer number of the billions of casuals making its market. We all have a phone.

Numbers are just astronomical in terms of potential. But games that whish to benefit from this huge market should be built with in mind the considerations they're beign adressed to a casual audience that wants to play in places were gaming has issues to take place in its most refined form, like the bus.

I Don't deny there is also a decent chunk who might be interest into having a portable pc on them, carrying a bag with devices and plugs to be able to sit and play while waiting here and there, but I'm pretty sure that developpers for mobile games when wanting to do profit would more try to cater to the gigantic mass they can attain.

I'm not as versed as you are in the subject but my honest intuition is that the true nature of mobile (MOBILity) will always be the main factor of gameplay reduction when it comes down to the mobile gaming experience.

What we might get on another hand is maybe a new serie of phone explicitely designed with mobile game in mind, and that allow to use something else than the thumbs with a very practical, convenient system combined with the adequate tech inside the device to run "decent" games. But then you still get the graphic issue (screen size) and sound issue (need to litterlay cut yourself from the world visually and now auditvely in public places at 100%? a tad dangerous I think. But you coudl argeu it's already happening with music+reading social networks).

So right now, i'm just dubitative. it's only since the diablo immortal case that'im using the term mobile GAMING, which I used to nto do before.

And even if we get the buttons, it's still screen taping. Nothing can beat the reactivity and precision of pc set up.

To expand a bit and conclude on mobile "gaming", i'd say it's a step backward in terms of gaming. Instead of getting more innovative games, focusing on home cinema scenery, complex graphics with many interactions through many keybinds, maniability etc... we get evertything dumbed down to fit console, mobile or even sometimes just dumbing down for the sake of attracting people now used to those console games.

P.S: i have noe xperience what so ever with VR, can't comment on that, I'd say raw bs
13/11/2018 01:21Posted by Nim
To expand a bit and conclude on mobile "gaming", i'd say it's a step backward in terms of gaming. Instead of getting more innovative games, focusing on home cinema scenery, complex graphics with many interactions through many keybinds, maniability etc... we get evertything dumbed down to fit console, mobile or even sometimes just dumbing down for the sake of attracting people now used to those console games.
Well, while I agree that a mobile can't match the level engagement in a PC game, Blizzard games have never been particularly cutting edge.

In terms of graphics, even new Blizzard titles are just average. I don't recall any Blizzard game pushing current hardware to it's limits in a way that, for example, every iteration of Far Cry does.

And even when it comes to complexity, I remember D2 could be played with just the mouse if you wanted. All the Diablo games were simple, repetitive and addictive.
13/11/2018 02:00Posted by Keele
13/11/2018 01:21Posted by Nim
Well, while I agree that a mobile can't match the level engagement in a PC game, Blizzard games have never been particularly cutting edge.

In terms of graphics, even new Blizzard titles are just average. I don't recall any Blizzard game pushing current hardware to it's limits in a way that, for example, every iteration of Far Cry does.

And even when it comes to complexity, I remember D2 could be played with just the mouse if you wanted. All the Diablo games were simple, repetitive and addictive.

Agreed, but as I said I was expanding more on PC Gaming in general there. Coorect me if wrong, I really feel when looking at new games tehy're designed with PC and consoles in mind, which always leaves me wondering: wouldn't they have added some options if it was only for pc? For example you have an interaction button on the controller, to grab an ennemy or seize an object but you can make 2 differnt keybinds on PC resulting in you grabbing an object tight next to an ennemy flawlessly to hit him with it.

I used to rage a lot with my brothers when younger on console because the character "didn't want to", or "preferred to", something I experienced way less on computer.
It doesn't take innovative gameplay, sometimes just the sheer precision of the mouse/keyboard combined with the amount of possible keybinds makes it feel like a shame when a game has 3 buttons to press, because you know there is a console version or even better, it's designed for consoles first, PC is just a bonus.

Diablo can fit other platforms, but it's just that looking at the die hard community, you would expect Blizzard to release PC first or do the annoucement at blizzcon for pc gamers first at least.
And I don't think it's a bad thing.

I think wether those "gamers" of mobile, and even console, agreed with it or not, they like knowing a game has been susccesful on PC. My girflriend plays on console a lot on mobile, and she considers the pc gaming (me) a more hardcore version of it all.

That's also why i'm not suprised they announced diablo at blizzcon. Now you'll have on the app to pruchase it in decription "the game that was presented at blizzcon 2018" probably, in order to bring more legitimacy: if pc gamers liked it, then why not me, the casual mobile gamers who can finalyl play those pc games without the pc?

EDIT: I meant all of this because older games were simplier but today developpers have so much more experience, feedback and technology, that you would expect a complexification and a more profound experience in terms of overall comfort, but instead we're going on other platforms reducing what has been done in the meanwhile as well as reducing future possibilities.

Kindda forgot that part lol, which is proobably the heart of what I wanted to say, my bad.
A record label announcing the release of a new thrash metal album at a C&W festival would probably have had the same reaction
12/11/2018 23:33Posted by Xemeron
Blizzard makes ONE mobile game for a franchise with a very simple gamplay...

Whole Internet erupts in panic and runs around screaming "OMG ACTIVISION TRIES TO KILL PC GAMING!!!!"

I don't play diablo whatsoever.

What i did play was overwatch. I still play it from time to time, but let me tell you this year's blizzard.

Last year: A new map, a new hero. Legacy skins and a promise for more in the future.

This year: New hero.

It wasn't just about a mobile game. Overwatch was disappointing too.
I do not care about Diablo Immortal. I was looking forward to hear about D1,2 remaster, D4 or something related relevant. But fine, Blizz wants to get to Chinese market, whatever.
It was like announcing a new washing machine on a Car expo.

Why I am outraged and support all that anger against Blizzard is, that my favorite game, WoW became shallow stupid waste of HDD space. Boring, repetetive, full of cosmetic crap, that bring little value. Just a damn cashgrab for 40 euro+12/month. All that, because all the talented writers left and only graphic designers remain to draw the cosmetic and mog stuff.
They do not care anymore about the community. The real community, which paid 12e/month for 10 years. People, who have some expectations from the game.
AB`s greed wanted to move WoW to the level of simple repetetive games, so 10-16 years old`s would play it. But this is not your market, there is already enough of AAA games for such kids. And you know, this group of players is very lucrative, yes, but they will move away. Your old community wanted to stay. What you achieved is, that you have a volatile community of young players, that will move on to other game as soon as you implement new mechanics that they will not like (GCD...) and a disappointed community of old players, that is slowly leaving, because of what you did.
So, in conclusion, yes, you are far from bankrupcy, nothing to fear. Only your reputation. Some years ago, you were known for excellent quality games with tens of millions of players. You are transforming to a company, that makes average games for teenage community and lives off 3, once great franchises, which now have nothing to offer.
The only disapointing fact for me is that there will be no pc version.

It would have been a great announcement if diablo immortal were as hearthstone is. Pc and mobile integrated game. My time spent on mobile is worth when I get items for my pc characters. But truth to be told as long as I can play on my phone while outside I barely log in on my pc so its not that big of a deal.

All in all I am eaiting for diablo immortal. I will even invest in a new phone to play it and a big plus for me is that I can play this game while iutaide or at work (whenever I have the time but I cannot play on my pc). I see it as a complimentary game. So my hopes are high and I will play it anyways. Its diablo after all.
Yes because there is no examples of companies destroying beloved franchise because of greed or shoving some agenda down peoples throats.
If Blizzard wants to make mobile games, let them.

Probably they lose money on BfA and hope to get a piece of the mobile game market to make it up. They have to make money for reinvestments to keep WoW going, hopefully to make next xpac better, so I hope Diablo is a success.

A good gaming pc setup is expensive, takes space, needs fast and stabile internet connection. You need to stay anchored at the spot, sitting in a proper chair.

Everyone has a mobile these days, as they said on Blizzcon. They nailed it. One of the best most practical devices ever, so I fully understand if people skip the pc, spend the money on a good phone.

It's not my bag but I'm sure it's a growing market. Pc gaming is declining, soon all our awesome setups will be something obscure from the stone age, only for enthusiasts and older people....
Xameron, mobile games are like the tainted grain in stratholme. Let one stack enter and all the evironment will be cursed.

Whole Internet erupts in panic and runs around screaming "OMG ACTIVISION TRIES TO KILL PC GAMING!!!!"

That one game is just the beginning..
Yeah, most people act hysterical in this, I agree.

Why do I think so? Because it's an outsourced mobile game, most of Blizzards employees probably don't even work on it which is why I do not think that it influences the diablo franchises development in a meaningful way.

That said, I also think it was a bit of a... let's say "bold" move from them to make it a big diablo announcement on blizzcon.

Edit: FWIW: I was a passionate D2 player for years and love this franchise, it's not like I'm a wow only player who does not care.

This very good article (by Forbes no less) does a really good coverage of why this announcement was ill-timed and horribly executed. It should give you some perspective at least:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/11/06/the-5-biggest-problems-with-this-diablo-immortal-fiasco/amp/

(honestly, it is a very good read. Probably the best I've seen on this controversial topic).
Its called the tip of the iceberg...or the slippery slope.

I think thats why people lost their marbles over Diablo mobile.

The reasons for panic and screaming is Legit it does feel like someone is trying to kill PC Gaming and you sound like an ignorant man for saying what you did almost as if you are troll or someone payed you to lie so blink twice if someone forced you to say that blink onec if not XD hehe jk but srsly thou stop being a troll and accept the reality on how it is.