How many subs has wow lost?

General
1 2 3 10 Next
Does anyone have any numbers?

My friend list is now just a bunch of grey names that never log in. Communities I joined that were thriving at launch of bfa are now completely inactive. It takes ages to get a random battle. The group finder has a lot of groups of 1-3 people but there are no pvp raids.

I wanted to get my bloodthirsty title before I retired, but right now it looks like I may never reach it, and that is draining my enthusiasm to even log in and try. From where I'm sitting it seems the game is a hollow husk of what it used to be.

I'm not saying the game IS dying, I'm just curios to see if anyone has any real evidence one way or the other.
Doing alt raids the last couple of weeks has been getting more difficult.

it's not a metric but it's been noticed by those we go with, We have a small community of people that join up and do raids and pug the rest of those we need and the pickings have been getting more and more slim every single week.

I'm not saying those people aren't subbed but I think they are less active.
No one really knows but personally I think they are at an all time low. Whilst Blizz can try patching things up in 8.1 >> with QOL stuff I don't think its really going to make much of a difference because they built this expansion on a foundation of quicksand and it needs fundamental changes which I don't see happening.

Still there is classic to look forward to and the hope that the next expansion will see an upturn in the fortunes of wow.
I agree with Toohottodot.

No one knows, or probably will know (outside of Blizzard).

But, my feeling, it's close--if not--low watermark.
From near 15/20 friends that i have at the start of bfa online ...... this week i counted 4 max
Today 2 people that i know aswell irl..

Another thing is previous month...26 raiders...this week 18 raiders and couln't do progress on zul...

Epic enjoyment....

Less people less activities to do..

the problem is always gonna get bigger as players stop playing an mmorpg...
Guilds have problem with recruitment...and if this continue... less guilds...
Imagine my connected realms

Darksorrow-Genjuros-Neptulon...

We are having 15% of raiding guilds of Mop...

Looking on Legion we are having 17 less guilds... right now with majority getting hard finding any player that's gonna play...

Results are that wow is loosing insane amount's of subs and this affect the people that are playing right now..
Affecting raiding....pvp....and ofcourse the economy of the respective server...

If we won't see soon enough any change well no point of playing an mmorpg for the feeling of playing a single mode game...
They likely are at an all time low, not even WoD scared so many of my friends away within it's first couple of months, I'm one of the few remaining and even myself remaining is questionable in the long term unless some real changes come.

This expansion was designed as a time gate, so much is gated, upcoming content will continue to be gated and allied races such as Zandalari and Kul'tirans must wait until next year, this company lost sight of what makes a game good.

Design from the heart, create an experience all will enjoy, as it was in the past, stop designing a game with the intention of retention, it's showing now and in the past, when you design for retention, it always fails.

There was a reason WoW was unstoppable right up until Wrath, the developers cared back then and had such great plans for the game, nowdays they release bare minimum content and proceed to gate it.
It s Sunday boys..!!

it s time for one of those WOW is dead post..

since TBC btw.
10/11/2018 10:29Posted by Brutal
Does anyone have any numbers?

My friend list is now just a bunch of grey names that never log in. Communities I joined that were thriving at launch of bfa are now completely inactive. It takes ages to get a random battle. The group finder has a lot of groups of 1-3 people but there are no pvp raids.

I wanted to get my bloodthirsty title before I retired, but right now it looks like I may never reach it, and that is draining my enthusiasm to even log in and try. From where I'm sitting it seems the game is a hollow husk of what it used to be.

I'm not saying the game IS dying, I'm just curios to see if anyone has any real evidence one way or the other.

Game ain't deadd/dying?
Your whole description just screams it.
game is just getting older and older - each expansion people are getting older and older to and less likely to run on gear treadmill.

dont worry they will all be back once nextraid releases .
10/11/2018 11:11Posted by Raiden
It s Sunday boys..!!

since TBC btw.

You clearly didn't read the post and completely missed the point. But I would expect no better from somebody who doesn't even know which day of the week it is.
in my opinion the game just keeps getting more and more unfriendly

Extremely unfriendly for new players

i dont know that happened to the devs and game designers but i wish blizzard could replace them, cuz right now, they keep doing dump content
10/11/2018 12:27Posted by Lilchan
Extremely unfriendly for new players

That is a problem they needed to address, prior to Doomhammer and Turalyon being for new players it was Azjol'Nerub and Quel'thalas, I used to play there and I'd often send new players some bags and offer to answer any questions they might have.

But I was one person trying to handle a swarm, there used to be mentor guilds as part of a programme Blizzard used to do until they abandoned it, now many new players are thrown in the deep end with no one to help them.

The lack of unfriendlyness from many veterans and lack of help from Blizzard undoubtedly plays a role in keeping the subscriber numbers down.
Activision believes that you can design games mechanically in order to please the audit committee...after they went ahead...

Players: Did you do it?
Activision: Yes little one
Players: What did it cost?
Activision: .....
10/11/2018 10:29Posted by Brutal
My friend list is now just a bunch of grey names that never log in.
Are they RL friends or 'people you know in-game'?

A better gauge would be RealID activity; it could be that the players are active, just not on the character/s you 'know them as'.
Honestly, since its going strong for 14 years by now, even though most MMORPGs these days cant hold themself, I say alot.

When they started, they created a boom for the MMO market, many player from other MMOs joined and tons of new players joined.

They created a time where everyone wanted a piece of the MMO market, but only WoW really stood the test of time.

Now the MMO hype has pretty much died down, so of course many people quit. These days there are more options for games that dont need so much time...

So yeah, I would say at least 50% to 60% down for the subsriber numbers...
they quit because they are weak
when things look bad you can't just give up on the world...of warcraft
only one of my friends still play and they log on once a week ... that out of about 30 or so people i collected over the years which i don't speak to anymore xD

when bfa launched at least 20 of them were playing.

even if the game is dead now .. 8.1.5 will bring a lot of people back and ... 8.2 even more .. sad but true really .. some people wont be able to stay away.
Everyone on my friends list who used to play every day pretty much quit or rarely log on now.

It's so dead they are even releasing classic to try to save the game, BFA is still profitable though because they milk their playerbase with allied races and people swapping to horde with faction change because of the badly designed systems this game has.
10/11/2018 11:11Posted by Raiden
It s Sunday boys..!!

since TBC btw.

Well it is down from 12m players at its height to somewhat less than 2m now according to most estimates. So it is heading in the same direction as Nokia phones.
Game is getting older and older, expansions are pretty much a reskin of old stuff with a few tweaks. I don't think the game attracts the newer generation. I've played since day 1 and quit in tbc for a few months and again in cata for a few months. Sometimes its nice to have a break away from things. I still enjoy logging in and playing but if my few remaining friends quit then the game would be less enjoyable for me.

With classic coming back, i wont even touch that. It was good at the time but comparing it now is a no no. I don't have the time like i did back in the day :p