How many subs has wow lost?

General
Prev 1 2 3 10 Next
"If you dont like this game, then dont play"

Thats what you heard all night from blizz whiteknights.

And now people are complaining that there much less players, not enough people to raid. Guilds disbanding, less activity.

Now it hit them right back and it feels good
I only have 1 friend on my list still on WoW the others play either OW or another game.
The guild im in on my main is entirely dead(When BFA released we had 20-30members online daily) and i will soon join them when my sub runs out.
10/11/2018 10:29Posted by Brutal
Does anyone have any numbers?

42 is a good number
10/11/2018 12:27Posted by Lilchan
Extremely unfriendly for new players

you realize all the time Blizzard tried to be more " new player friendly " they just ended up screwing the more hardcore/dedicated players over ?

in my opinion nothing has hurt the game as much as Blizzard trying to appeal to new/casual players.

I mean look at what they done with all the pruning.
One of the reasons they removed so many abilities in the first place was because it was " too confusing " for new players and apparently scared many of them away.

I don't have any data on how many people are now actively playing the game because they made that change but I know that 95% of my friend list isn't enjoying their class nearly as much as they used to in MoP, cata or WoltK for example, in fact many of my friends quit because of awful class design over the last 2-3 expansions and my sub is running out too because of that exact reason.

tl;dr
I really doubt that making the game more " casual/new player" friendly has done any good for the game or got more people into playing WoW.

When I started playing I didn't start because it was so easy to achieve something, no I started because achieving something felt meaningful and you had fun on the way getting there.
OP - is this really causing you sleepless nights & inducing life-threatening anxiety levels...?

If not... just play your game, your way & empty your friends list - THAT is probably more of a stressor than any aspect of gameplay...
They'll never release any official figures. It does feel like more and more people are quitting and more and more guilds are folding.
Ive noticed long wait times for events too, its become more of a solitary experience and that's not what I log in to do.

I think doing WQ's (like in Legion) is tedious, and other endgame options either arent challenging (Expeditions & Warfronts) or arent interesting (Pet Battles & WQ's). It also doesnt help that devs have ruffled the communities feathers, and not in a good way.

My sub ends on thursday, maybe ill come back for 8.2, but only for a month, and if the game is still in this state, I think ill just give the rest of BFA a miss.
if they are truely under 2M they would be silly to announce numbers .. i would say EU alone is under 800k possibly even under 500k active alone at a guess.

they said 6M as a number in the report .. but i think that was across all games maybe.

so thats ..

WoW
Hots
heathstone
destiny
starcraft
diablo

also keep in mind ff14 the other big main competitor to wow has only 120k active eu players currently
I would guess WoW is around 4.5 mil subs.
How many happy fans WoW has left is probably much smaller.
10/11/2018 15:38Posted by Hypxbruh
you realize all the time Blizzard tried to be more " new player friendly " they just ended up screwing the more hardcore/dedicated players over ?

in my opinion nothing has hurt the game as much as Blizzard trying to appeal to new/casual players.

its as if you are saying no need for new players and just focus on making the game for the current hardcore players which are less than the casuals

I have no problem with the hardcore players, i do think they are the treasure of this game, but this doesn't mean that all the new players will turn to be casual
and not only the players from back then can only be hardcore, even new player can turn to be hardcore

but for new players playing the game for the first time will seem very overwhelming and unfriendly

tl;dr
I really doubt that making the game more " casual/new player" friendly has done any good for the game or got more people into playing WoW.

let me clarify this, I did not mention in my post about making the game friendly for the "casuals" and hurt the hardcore players like you said

there is a different between casual player who knows everything about the game and the new players who is new to everything, DON'T PUT THOSE TWO TOGETHER

what I'm saying is making the game friendly for new players and keep maintaining the game for the hardcore end game players

you are not understanding my point

When I started playing I didn't start because it was so easy to achieve something, no I started because achieving something felt meaningful and you had fun on the way getting there.

Again me saying making the game more friendly to new players wasn't me saying make everything easy to achieve

and yes back then the game was much better and more appealing than now, believe me
I would have thought current active subs are about 1.7-3m.
I used to have such a large friend base, I could log in at about 1am and would have friends to play with, luling, having a good time after hitting the pub etc.
I had 6 irl friends who played but now they have all quit and my friend list which would have about 30-40 people online has about 4-6 maybe?!

My rogue guild (Nashwan god) biggest pvp guild in EU, has about a 60-70% drop in activity and alot of them are multi-rank 1, gladiators (The most dedicated)

Its sad as I really want to enjoy wow but for me and so many others, its just really bad at the moment :(
10/11/2018 16:42Posted by Lilchan
Again me saying making the game more friendly to new players wasn't me saying make everything easy to achieve

Yes I understand what you mean but Blizzard somehow can't do the one without doing the other.

That's why I said almost everything they did for the new players ended up screwing the more dedicated - long time players.

if they could do the one without doing the other sure why not, help the new players out.

for example when they decided to put in LFR, catch up mechanics, personal loot and everything else that makes acquiring loot easier for people who don't have to much time for the game or people who want to get in to the game but feel they are too far behind.

Results are: sure gear is easier to get and Blizzard probably achieved their goal but at the same time gearing is more meaningless than ever and not a single person I know feels the same way when getting a really good piece of loot compared to how it was back in the days.
Following 3 quarter results MAU is around 37 million users . The same as last quarter across the Blizzard division. The leaked numbers a few weeks back were mostly correct with USA/EU. The company said they were not the actual subs and the post was removed.
10/11/2018 16:51Posted by Hypxbruh
10/11/2018 16:42Posted by Lilchan

Yes I understand what you mean but Blizzard somehow can't do the one without doing the other.

That's why I said almost everything they did for the new players ended up screwing the more dedicated - long time players.

if they could do the one without doing the other sure why not, help the new players out.

its all about getting them 10 - 12 years olds into wow at the cost of dispatching 28 - 50 years olds from the game..

blizzard seem only truly care about the 10 - 20 age group currently and its a damn shame cause their most dedicated fans and players are 24- 45

EDIT: this is a true story i been trying to find a guild in bfa ... and i joined a few when i was playing but the players in the guilds were all 12 - 16 years old .... so i just ended up leaving .. i dont wanna be part a guild run by a 12 year old thanks.
Following 3 quarter results MAU is around 37 million users . The same as last quarter across the Blizzard division. The leaked numbers a few weeks back were mostly correct with USA/EU. The company said they were not the actual subs and the post was removed. Blizzard at present is a rudderless ship and heading towards a big iceberg.

When they said "Numbers are not correct", they didn't bother bringing their own since it would be a tricky thing to just straight out lie to the public by providing a very inflated one.

I Always assumed the leak aura case was right, and that we USED to be roughly 1M7 subs. I'd say now it's even lower, everyone is quitting, not seeing many real new faces around.
They lost 7 million subs between Wrath and WoD, beyond that it's just guesswork.
There are barely any outworld activity yet theres no flying mounts yet. This is the most empty expansion ive seen:/

Hope its just my phasing bugging out. For months.
10/11/2018 16:55Posted by Pixelbear
EDIT: this is a true story i been trying to find a guild in bfa ... and i joined a few when i was playing but the players in the guilds were all 12 - 16 years old .... so i just ended up leaving .. i dont wanna be part a guild run by a 12 year old thanks.

It's all about the attitude. I have known young players who were a lot more fun to be around than, say, older people who only !@#$% and moan on the forums all day
My sub runs out in 21 hours and im done
10/11/2018 12:27Posted by Lilchan
in my opinion the game just keeps getting more and more unfriendly

Extremely unfriendly for new players

i dont know that happened to the devs and game designers but i wish blizzard could replace them, cuz right now, they keep doing dump content

Havent you heard?? Most of them (bliz) have shifted from pc gaming to mobile gaming. Which explains a lot.