Would prot work if ignore pain was passive?

Warrior
Heya, another prot complaint / fix post here.

It just got me thinking, would it be good if ignore pain was a passive and shield block didnt cost rage?

I got an idea that instead och poppin ip all the time make it passive and Evert hit you take costs rage instead. Make it so 10 rage is about 10k shield so its kind of a mix of monks stagger and dh:s high damage high heal game play.
You want to keep doing max damage then as a tank to get your rage up and you get some "passive" mitigation.

Warrior cooldowns aint bad. See if you die when you got both Sb and Ip up at the same time. Its that time window when your Sb is on cd and you dont have enough rage for ip !@#$ hits The fan. And so many times you have 35 - 39 rage and cant pop ip again.
Or how man times dont you see that you use 40 rage to get a 40k shield, that is down to 3000 or complitly gone after one hit from certain mobs.

I think ar least making ip passive would be a fun addition to warrior gameplay and make it easier to play for new players
I'd remove IP at this point to be honest and revert the class back to its initial fantasy. Prot War realistically should be the tank class that can take the hardest hits and have the second highest hp after Druid because it has no heals, but that wont happen because they want to let Brewmaster the main tank for this expansion for some reason( they don't want the Mythic guilds whine since they are going double monk for progress)
yeah it feels as if they got warrior and monk mixed up. Warrior class fantasy should be big bulky armored to the teeth dudes that takes a punch and laughs at it, while monks should be these jackie chan kung fu drunken boxers that dodge attacks with martial arts.

But now its the other way around. Monks take all damage to the face and just drinks a beer and its fine, while warriors have to press every button on the keyboard in the right combination to keep rage and active mitigation running all the time. I at least feel as if it should be the other way with class fantasy.

Either way. Make ignore pain a passive, or even a new mastery, so every hit you take use up rage and lowers damage taken. Would make for great class fantasy aswell if you are angry as a load of !@#$bricks you just ignore the pain.
Then more mastery should make it so you can use more rage per hit taken and absorb more damage per rage spent kinda, so you also want to balance it becouse if you just stack mastery then you might rage start to much.

Also give every tank a way to move mobs around on the battlefield. At least as a talent. Dk got death grip, DH got sigil of chains, monks ring of peace, druids typhon. Just paladin and warriors that cant move mobs right? Give warriors a charge that deals damage and knocks enemys back like 10 - 15 yards and if they collide with a object or other mob they also get stunned for 3 seconds. Would fit the fantasy aswell that we overpower mobs with brute force.

Easy changes that would make the warrior more easy to play and master but still having good control and fun cooldown.
Just a thought, but I think warriors means of mitigation should revolve around or include health. Still keep the cd's and blocks etc, but change the IP ability to use health as a resource. This way you can do things that I think would fit more thematically.

You could have a system the utilises the health pool

I think IP should be changed so that it works in a way similar to last stand. Instead of giving you an absorb of say 20k, it should just give you and increase your maximum health by 20k. The difference being you don't keep the max health when you loose the gained health. You get to keep the health/max health for the same 12 second duration as IP, as long as you have it that is, and it can stack.
Then you can have talents/abilities that play off this. Such as the max health gained depletes slowly rather than drop off when you get hit (you wouldn't loose the max health if you are healed to full).
You could also rework Last stand to something like "for the next x seconds your health can't drop below 1. While under the effects of last stand your rage generation is increased by x%" 10 min CD.

I dunno, just some thoughts.
Please do not ask to be the strongest tank, this will only result in us getting nerfs.
All we want is a competetive class that can compete in content with the other tanks, please this should not be considered a hard task.

Thank you.
OP that is a terrible idea.

It definitely needs a rework but meaning even less active abilities for prot would be a disaster it barely has any now.

Prot needs a huge rework, spending rage for a metaphorical shield against damage would be a good idea and sounds cool, but not when its spammed and does nothing, that makes it lame as hell.

Maybe make shield block actually block hits and ignore pain being something fun and actually worth using, kind of like guard in mop, quite big cooldown for a huge shield, more focus of prot on blocking hits, reducing damage with shield type deal
more shieldy type abilities. etc
31/10/2018 23:21Posted by Reconwarrior

It definitely needs a rework but meaning even less active abilities for prot would be a disaster it barely has any now.

[/quote]

Dont warrior have like The most buttons to press right now?
I got a dh tank aswell that has two defensive buttons.

Demon spikes as AM and meta for big cd.

Warrior has ip, sb, last stand, sw, demo shout and commanding shout. Might have missed something.

The idea was to make them like The Dh playstyle but istead of using leach we reduce damage taken. It seams like blizzard dont want The warrior tanks to have life steal and im fine with that, as long as we need as little healing from external forces on par with other tanks.

In my guild we got me as a prot warr and a blood dk as tanks, and in almost every fight in uldir i need 15% / 30% more healing then him from our healers when looking at logs at fights were you take equal damage, like vectis, shadow donut dude, zul, etc etc.

I thought that buffing ip and making it passive we get 1 less defensive Button to press so its 5 instead of 6 and The playstyle would resemble dh more and probably make it easier to play for new players aswell.
I hated IP back in Legion. I have no problem with it now. It isn't just absurdly spamming of that spell anymore... Which is what makes that spell a bit more interesting. I'm glad it will be off the gcd, that is a huge step forward.
In my experience, alot of the problem with prot warrior was Devastate, it just feels so unnatural to have a spam ability on a warrior, if this had a cooldown and alot more damage, it might be alot more bearable... or else make the devastator talent baseline and devastate the talent (in a much more devastating form(like seriously how can it be so weak and still be called devastate, this current form should be heroic strike))
02/11/2018 02:10Posted by Siffrah
In my experience, alot of the problem with prot warrior was Devastate, it just feels so unnatural to have a spam ability on a warrior, if this had a cooldown and alot more damage, it might be alot more bearable... or else make the devastator talent baseline and devastate the talent (in a much more devastating form(like seriously how can it be so weak and still be called devastate, this current form should be heroic strike))

I agree in a sense, at the moment devastate just feels like another button to press for the hell of it.

it doesnt really do anything any more other than have a slight chance of resetting SS cooldown, its unrewarding,dissatisfying and eats up valuable GCD.

as others have said IP on the GCD is a step forward however I still feel the ability is weak, if you spend that much rage on ability it should feel good to use.
Just buffing IP and taking it off the GCD would work wonders.
31/10/2018 23:21Posted by Reconwarrior

Prot needs a huge rework, spending rage for a metaphorical shield against damage would be a good idea and sounds cool, but not when its spammed and does nothing, that makes it lame as hell.

Maybe make shield block actually block hits and ignore pain being something fun and actually worth using, kind of like guard in mop, quite big cooldown for a huge shield, more focus of prot on blocking hits, reducing damage with shield type deal
more shieldy type abilities. etc
No, it does not need rework.
04/11/2018 20:58Posted by Zuljiren
Just buffing IP and taking it off the GCD would work wonders.
Exactly, but careful with that. I would not like end up like in Legion. By what i mean spamming IP, spamming 1 button... There are other things that have to be worked on. Hope Blizz will find out. But i also hope, that they will keep this Prot Warr class fantasy... I love this BfA Prot Warr. It reminds me a bit of old Prot.