How to pay for Classic?

Classic Discussion
classic servers are not part of that service, its a different ''service'' so it should require a seperate sub.

It looks like they are though. Tough luck.
28/10/2018 18:20Posted by Redoctober
classic servers are not part of that service, its a different ''service'' so it should require a seperate sub.

It looks like they are though. Tough luck.

blizzard never said they are part of it and they are very quiet about it so i am sure they are going to charge people for it.
28/10/2018 18:22Posted by Ãve
blizzard never said they are part of it and they are very quiet about it so i am sure they are going to charge people for it.

That's true, it's possible they could have a separate sub. If that is it, so be it, I'll pay that one and not pay for BfA, cuz I can't play two games at the same time anyway. But the demo is simply part of the WoW entry in the launcher, not like StarCraft Remastered, which is a completely separate entry from StarCraft 2. It hints to it being all part of the same subscription, which would make the most sense from Blizzard's POV.
Players who want Classic love to use "Classic is a completely different game than retail" argument, so if anything, it should be treated as a completely different game with its own sub.
28/10/2018 18:29Posted by Redoctober
28/10/2018 18:22Posted by Ãve

That's true, it's possible they could have a separate sub. If that is it, so be it, I'll pay that one and not pay for BfA, cuz I can't play two games at the same time anyway. But the demo is simply part of the WoW entry in the launcher, not like StarCraft Remastered, which is a completely separate entry from StarCraft 2. It hints to it being all part of the same subscription, which would make the most sense from Blizzard's POV.

american and EU servers are also all under the same wow entry at the launcher and both require a seperate sub
28/10/2018 18:32Posted by Ãve
american and EU servers are also all under the same wow entry at the launcher and both require a seperate sub

Okay. Don't see the point of this arguing tbh.
I'm not paying AGAIN for a game I purchased some 14 years ago. Not happening.

It needs to be a simple server choice.
I'd assume it'd be the same subscription, this way they get Classic players to try the new addon because why not and hopefully convert them or keep them as customers for longer.
Maybe instead of guessing we should just wait until BlizzCon. They're going to make announcements about Classic WoW there.

Personally my opinion is that it may go the direction of StarCraft Remastered. with a free to play option for a normal render of the game, and a remaster render sold €14.99. But personally I agree with others that when it has been bought and subscribed to before that a player shouldn't have to do either again. If they charged like with remastered it would possibly just pay for the cost of getting all the rest developed and out there. There is a cost attached to them doing this and somewhere the payment for it needs from. But let's just wait and see what BlizzCon news brings about it...
Lets put it this way for all the "sub shouldn't be baked in, they're taking resources from my game" people:

I'm currently unsubbed, blizz are getting 0

Blizz announce classic, with sub baked in. Main game is now getting sub fee but i'm not playing it, basically passive money for resources. Maybe split between the two.

Classic has seperate fee, i pay that instead and i dont play the main game. Main game gets 0 again.

Why none of this matters:

Runescape has the system where you pay and have access to both games, yet 2 separate teams. Pretty much how businesses work, you pay the company and they work on projects within their company. Nobodys money is redirected anywhere, you give them the cash and they do with it what they see fit.

They could blow your cash on chocolate biscuits and it wouldn't matter, because you would never know. They have their dedicated team working on the main game and thats all that matters.

People should be happy that new projects are actually coming out, to keep the franchise alive, not whining and pouring scorn in every thread to score some fake internet points.

I honestly believe that what you're going to see is a wave on "on the fence" players migrate to those realms, the ones who are playing but not really enjoying it but hanging on because theres nothing really better to play/do. I could be wrong but time will tell.
Would you really pay for that? Vanilla was NEW but not perfect.
I hope anyone who had exalted with Hydraxian Waterlords in vanilla will get free sub to the vanilla reboot for life
28/10/2018 14:03Posted by Benjamin
Will most likely has its own subscription.

as it should have

after all people wanted classic.

lets see if they really wanted it or they just wanted to play for free
I just think they will force you to have the latest expansion and linking the payment subscribtion for both.
29/10/2018 08:39Posted by Lilîith

Pretty much. If they want classic, let them pay for it.

That's the only way it'd be fair anyway. Basing both of them on the same sub if unfair for players who will play only current WoW and won't play classic. I'm paying my sub only for the current, up-to-date version of WoW, not the outdated version I've already played and have no intentions to play again.

Sorry vanilla fanboys, I won't be paying for your game. I don't get access to Diablo 3 or Overwatch by paying the sub for WoW, and since you always claim that classic is a completely different game than "retail", go on and pay for your completely different game.
29/10/2018 08:39Posted by Lilîith
28/10/2018 14:03Posted by Benjamin
Will most likely has its own subscription.

as it should have

after all people wanted classic.

I dont know why but i think darker motive is involved they want to play it for free and they want a time machine to relieve theyr old nostalgia but sadly i think blizzard is going to implement reworked graphics to fit in the modern times its not going to be anything like it was in 2004 as much as graphics is concerned so that quality of life change is gonna happen.
My 0.02 $

It will be a purchase fee for sure . Either a 20-40 $ or free if you have BfA or by the time is out the next expansion is out will be in the preorder .

Blizz will put a cost on first thing since is logic to get payed for the works and at least if it fail "we sold the copies"

Next for sure will have a montly fee . It has to be a fair amount (not 4 - 5 $ as you lose to much on bank transfer charges , etc ....so 9 - 10 $).... With access to both servers ....
28/10/2018 16:51Posted by Skyrha
You're not making much sense Brigante, classic is very well wanted and would bring in lots of subs, and anyone that gets bored of bfa might switch to classic, and classic people who thought that bfa is worst thing ever might give BFA a try and like it, it's a win-win.

Yes, and so for Blizzard as a company, it really doesn't make a difference. People will pay their sub for Retail, and people will pay their sub for Classic. People who want to experiment, to try before they buy, can do so, just the same as they can with Trial accounts now. Its not a win-win, making Retail players pay for Classic, Its what is called the 'Unequal Impact' argument, let me try to explain it.

Bob plays Retail, Bob also wants to play Classic when it comes out. Bob pays his sub which will cover both games development in the future.

Jane wants to play Classic, but not Retail, Jane still has to pay a sub for Retail, in order to play Classic. Given that Classic is static, and is not going to develop like Retail, Jane feels a bit miffed that she has to pay for something she is not using.

Dave plays Retail, Dave has no interest in playing Classic whatsoever, Dave still has to pay for a sub that includes Classic, After all, he is paying, either financially, or in terms of staff time and effort that could be spent on Retail, for a service that he is not using. Just like Jane, Dave is paying for something he does not want.

All three are paying the same sub, but in two cases that is what could be considered unequal. Only Bob is getting the best out of that arrangement.

A Fairer arrangement would be.

Bob wants to play Retail, he also wants to play Classic. Bob realises that whilst Classic will not need as much developers time as Retail, it will still need staff to work on it, so Bob has no problem paying his Retail Sub, and a bit extra for Classic.

Jane just wants to play Classic. It doesn't cost as much to run as Retail, as it is a static setting, so she has no problem paying a lesser Subscription to cover the expense of the service she wants.

Dave just wants to play Retail, he realises it costs more than Classic, after all it is a changing and evolving game, and so he has no problem paying his current subscription, the entirety of which is devoted to improving the game he is paying for.

That's kind of what I am getting at. The people working on Classic need paying, or it takes time, now one of two things are true, Either a) it is a completely separate game, with a completely separate Dev team in which case why on earth not charge separately for it, or b) it is the same game, with the same Dev team, in which case yes, my Sub is paying for it, and no I am not cool with that.

People were so vociferous in saying they would pay to play Classic, and yet now that such becomes a possibility there is an awful lot of backpeddling going on.
29/10/2018 11:17Posted by Brigante
People were so vociferous in saying they would pay to play Classic, and yet now that such becomes a possibility there is an awful lot of backpeddling going on.
People who are fresh off the Pservers and never bought WoW or paid a sub will have to buy the game and pay a subscription to have access to Classic.

Bob, Jane and Dave are treated equal and will have to buy the game and pay sub in order to play the game. What part of the game they actually play is completely up to them. What part of the game YOU play is completely up to you.

Classic will most likely be a server choice, just like PvP servers and RP servers. Classic will be a game-mode of World of Warcraft, an extra choice in how/what to play.

There's no seperate sub for people that mostly play pet battles, PvP or RP so why would there be a seperate sub for Classic players ??
29/10/2018 12:32Posted by Shogath
There's no seperate sub for people that mostly play pet battles, PvP or RP so why would there be a seperate sub for Classic players ??

Because those are all currently part of the game. Classic is not. That's my point. Its either a separate game or it isn't, it is either being paid for from my sub, or it is not. I have zero problem with the sub I pay also paying for Classic, -As Long As- the development and production of the game I want to play, and pay for, does not suffer as a result. If the game I am paying for suffers, at the expense of other people getting classic being worked on by game developers who I am paying for, then yeah, that's annoying, that's not right. Someone has to take the hit, financially, or in terms of employee hours. I mean they will need to recruit more staff, or else they will have to repurpose staff working on Retail, meaning that Retail suffers as a result. If you employ more people you have to pay them, so either everybodies sub rises slightly, or the people who want the new service pay for the new service.

The latter is the fair option. I mean it is naïve to imagine they can just set up servers for Classic and then just clap their hands "Job done", these things need staff...