Bring back pre-7.3.5 leveling

General
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
Absolutely not, and for the 100th time in these threads demanding that levelling be turned back into a zerg feast and group content becomes meaningless:

There is no such thing as 'let those who enjoy fast levelling have extra xp and powerful heirlooms to one shot mobs' and 'those who want slow and grindy mobs take off their heirlooms' because the game was NEVER designed for a levelling experience pre-7.3.5 and you want to know why it had become that way?

BECAUSE the scaling technology they are using now was still (and is still!) in development and being improved on. It was never the team's intention to let low level content DECAY as much as it had for years but it did because there was no easy alternative to fix it without scaling.

So no, if you don't like levelling then you're out of luck. It goes against the very fundamental design of group content to allow levelling as it was pre-7.3.5 and I'm extremely happy they've decided NOT to listen to feedback like this but rather draw a balance between content for groups and speed at which you can level. Which, after all the fixes they made, is pretty good.

Stop asking for content to be turned into a joke again just because -you- personally don't like it. You're trying to go against what the game's original design intention was and is.
If you already have a max level toon I think you should be able
to make 2 "extra" toons at max level automatically,
but those toons could only use the specs that complete the trinity.

The 2 "extra" toons would have only one talent tree (spec) &
that spec would be baked in so you couldn't change it.

So;
if you level a DPS you can have a Tank & a Healer for free,
if you level a Tank you can have a DPS & Healer for free,
if you level a Healer you get a Tank & a DPS free.

This would help reverse the shortage of tanks & healers in endgame.

If you wanted to unlock the other talent trees (specs) on the "free" toons
you would have to pay, or fully level a new toon in that class.

Won't happen because Blizzard hates us & wants us to suffer.
29/10/2018 00:33Posted by Tymaar
Stop asking for content to be turned into a joke again just because -you- personally don't like it. You're trying to go against what the game's original design intention was and is.

Because there's only one guy, who doesn't like leveling, thus it's personal!
And I really want to see that original design intention discussion: "We will sell them the end game content and we will will make them slowly grind same mobs at the same speed until they reach that content"

It still is a joke.

It's just now a longer, more monotonous joke.

The class design at lower levels is dreadful, it's objectively bad. If you want to get into a debate as to why this is the case, I'd be more than happy to elaborate further. The scaling of certain abilities is miles off until mastery is unlocked, abilities fundamental to the fluidity and feel of classes aren't there until sometimes level 50 and beyond.

There is absolutely nothing engaging about the levelling experience as it currently is. The questing is outdated and tedious. No one is having fun doing these zones for the 7th, 8th, 9th time. Mobs out in the open world and dungeons present zero challenge. Unless you drastically over-pull, you will never have to pop a defensive ability, a cooldown or an interrupt.

The gear and stat squish has rendered practically all gear upgrades completely irrelevant. Quest 'rewards' are about as unrewarding as physically possible. I find this a baffling concept in an MMORPG. I also find it quite ironic that in your comment you stated:

You're trying to go against what the game's original design intention was and is.

Are you trying to tell me that this was the original intention of the game?

Features that break up the monotony like Invasions and Bonus Objectives are not present in lower level content. It would be so easy for Blizzard to implement these features, yet they have refused. If they are truly committed to a levelling experience worthy of playing then why is that?

I hate to be the 'tin foil hat' conspiracy theorist but from where I'm sitting, practically every design choice they have made is geared towards pushing players to buy a level boost. The very fact they give a free boost away with each expansion is practically admission that:

'This content is trash, skip it and play the real game'

The sad fact is, you can't even turn around to me and tell me that 'the story is good at the very least' - it's not, not even slightly. You roll a Highmountain Tauren, get sent to Silverpine Forest by Warchief Sylvanas, only then to be confronted by Warchief Garrosh Hellscream. It's a total, utter disaster from every feasible perspective and when you see how the competition is doing it, you would have to be mentally unstable not to see how thoroughly poor the WoW levelling experience is in comparison.

I'd just like to conclude with the fact that I share your view in the sense I would not want to see a return to pre 7.3.5 levelling under any circumstances. However, to pretend that this content is ok in its current form would be bordering on being deliberately disingenuous.
29/10/2018 00:28Posted by Selranath
I don't need an in-game incentive to want to go and play with my friend.
Which is admirable, but even if you do that you're not really helping them level. Aside from fluff items, there's no incentive to do old content either. You can't even bring your max level character if your friend's objective is to gain experience. Aside from keeping your friends company, under the current system there isn't any benefit in playing with them while they level.

29/10/2018 00:28Posted by Selranath
Your problem here seem to be with the leveling experience more so than the leveling speed as I'm reading it. Would you really mind the invested time if you were enjoying yourself, while leveling? Which is exactly my point, reducing leveling time would be a band-aid for the leveling issues, as it wouldn't solve the core problems, just make players experience less of it.
Some content is alright to play through once, but I don't derive any enjoyment or see any value or accomplishment in doing it multiple times. Some content is god-awful.

Will revamping old content improve the leveling experience? For sure. Will I want to spend 70+ hours repeating it each time I want to level an alt? Not unless all the old zones become current content again.

As an example, The Witcher was an amazing 80 hours, but it doesn't mean that I would want to keep playing it over and over again.

Ultimately the point is to play another class in current content where everyone else is, and where the current story is unfolding.
Absolutely not, and for the 100th time in these threads demanding that levelling be turned back into a zerg feast and group content becomes meaningless:

There is no such thing as 'let those who enjoy fast levelling have extra xp and powerful heirlooms to one shot mobs' and 'those who want slow and grindy mobs take off their heirlooms' because the game was NEVER designed for a levelling experience pre-7.3.5 and you want to know why it had become that way?

BECAUSE the scaling technology they are using now was still (and is still!) in development and being improved on. It was never the team's intention to let low level content DECAY as much as it had for years but it did because there was no easy alternative to fix it without scaling.

So no, if you don't like levelling then you're out of luck. It goes against the very fundamental design of group content to allow levelling as it was pre-7.3.5 and I'm extremely happy they've decided NOT to listen to feedback like this but rather draw a balance between content for groups and speed at which you can level. Which, after all the fixes they made, is pretty good.

ye group content below 120 are you drunk?
Stop asking for content to be turned into a joke because you enjoy lvling.

lvling was games original design 15years ago if you havent noticed captain roleplayer. since tbc the focus is clearly on maxlvl and the unnessecary changes in 7.2 or 7.3 were only made because of moneygrab which only a company like blizzard can do because they have enough 2braincell roleplayers on argent dawn to defend them.

slow leveling + no char boost = yes
slow leveling + char boost in shop?! = X to the D

how anyone can defend such garbage is beyond me. and no its not about my money im in the comfortable spot to be born and live in the richest country and get more pocketmoney than most here earn.

just customer unfriendly system defended by lfr army that dont have any friends to play with and thus lvl their 500alts on repetitive boring content.

its not even exciting? its still same boring garbage just that it takes 10times longer
29/10/2018 02:06Posted by Calek

ye group content below 120 are you drunk?
Stop asking for content to be turned into a joke because you enjoy lvling.

lvling was games original design 15years ago if you havent noticed captain roleplayer. since tbc the focus is clearly on maxlvl and the unnessecary changes in 7.2 or 7.3 were only made because of moneygrab which only a company like blizzard can do because they have enough 2braincell roleplayers on argent dawn to defend them.

slow leveling + no char boost = yes
slow leveling + char boost in shop?! = X to the D

how anyone can defend such garbage is beyond me. and no its not about my money im in the comfortable spot to be born and live in the richest country and get more pocketmoney than most here earn.

just customer unfriendly system defended by lfr army that dont have any friends to play with and thus lvl their 500alts on repetitive boring content.

its not even exciting? its still same boring garbage just that it takes 10times longer

Because these kind of people cant see how much money grab that change was and they say some bulls*** excuse.
I really wish they remove levelling boost,i dont care if they dont change levelling.
Pre 7.3.5, was it too fast? Possibly. Post, is too slow? Yes, yes, yes.

I'm sorry but you can't defend the clear intent on promoting boosts. The game shouldn't be zoom zoom in one day to max but it shouldn't be over 70 hours to conquer the 'tutorial.' The current leveling pace could be acceptable IF the level cap was lowered.

Levels at the moment are empty, the lack of reward is a clear complaint and very valid. You get your classes full standard rotation before you've even finished 'classic' (1-60.) So what the hell is the point of BC, Wrath, Cata, Mists, WoD, and now Legion? Hell, even BFA 110-120 is pointless because you get nothing but weaker.

There needs to be a compromise because as it is, people could spend more time leveling their characters than they will at end game content because it can just burn you out. It isn't new player friendly as they like to claim it was done for as they'd lack heirlooms and that time to level is then only lengthened and they get no other experience, they still get the level up indicator and that's it, majority of the time there's no new skill or passive to join that. It's boring.
I loved the scaling at first but now my Warlock is stuck at 69 in Northrend. I used to love leveling but it's so boring now -.-
28/10/2018 17:55Posted by Winterchillz
They can keep the !@#$ty leveling in place, just add an option to level much faster for people who still value their brain cells.

Start to read the quests and your brain cells will duplicate.. ^^
29/10/2018 03:38Posted by Kémentari
28/10/2018 17:55Posted by Winterchillz
They can keep the !@#$ty leveling in place, just add an option to level much faster for people who still value their brain cells.

Start to read the quests and your brain cells will duplicate.. ^^

Jesus christ "hehexd read the quest btw"

I already did those quest while leveling I DON'T WANT TO READ SOMETHING THAT I ALREADY KNOW FFS
I personally don't want the old one shot leveling back but I do think maybe they could add some extra options for those that want things to be done faster.
Hi everyone.

The games should not only cater to the end game.

what pre-7.3.5 show us is That mostly people were not learning how to Play the game because it was not require till max lvl.

Now people are learning at lvl1 to lvl120, how to overcome obstacle and deal with it.

Alot of people were saying before if you wanted challenge just don't equip heirloom, the probleme was with or without heirloom the Games was a joke. Now some mobs still overtuned its true(wod mainly), but the overall is fine.

What scaling Do is slightly make a better lvling progression till wod, after wod you regain your progression till lvl120.

The probleme with bfa and the scaling is That blizzard want to keep the world fresh, alot love That and alot hate it.
29/10/2018 01:47Posted by Keele
Will revamping old content improve the leveling experience? For sure. Will I want to spend 70+ hours repeating it each time I want to level an alt? Not unless all the old zones become current content again.

Well in WoW you can go a lot more different routes than in the Witcher, but I think you're out of luck here. Right now it's still easier than it used to be to hit level 120 than to hit 70/80 in the olden days so I don't really see how that can be helped without trivializing leveling content.

I genuinely don't want anyone to suffer, it's a game, one should get enjoyment out of playing it, but you can't really expect to gain any more shortcuts than the 50% exp the heirlooms already give imo. It would devalue others' investment into the game. Especially now that heritage armor is a thing.(Which probably means Blizzard isn't going to cut down on leveling time anytime soon.)

The best they can do is make leveling more exciting again, and the best way I see is a level squish to get rid of most of the meaningless levels, and better customization of your own route. (Even with scaling, lower limits especially in vanilla territories limit your route too much, imo. Sure you can finish any zone now without it becoming trivial but it doesn't really help that you can start in the same 5-7 zones as before.)
@up so i've tried to understand ur opinion but its such a bull!@#$,this game is (and always was)based on max level content.If u want sure fight for 70h+ with mobs who have less mechanics then raid thrash but why u and other lfr heroes want to force others to do same? I see u have problem to understand someone has different opinion but i wonder,how many chars u lvld to max? I have 13 already(done loremaster 3 times) and im forced to do same and same boring quests(after 4 times even my favourite zone(silverpine)is boring like a hell, solution is simple(buff heirlooms xp 3-4 times) and if u want u can unequip and level for whatever time u want,but dont try to force ur worthless opinion how u like to play and why its "great" on others
29/10/2018 09:26Posted by Tarhaniss
but dont try to force ur worthless opinion how u like to play and why its "great" on others

I'm not a Blizz game dev, I'm not forcing anything on anyone. Your disrespectful and condescending tone doesn't really leave room for a civil discussion so you might wanna tone it down a bit. I have around 30 toons leveled to ~100, and don't really feel sorry for you at all that you have to go through the same quests again, you could choose a different method for leveling or another route over the "same quests" all over. I could unequip everything and fight my way to 120 naked as well sure, but that's not a pleasant way to play the game.
If you want people to be sympathetic towards you, try and lose your attitude cause it reeks.
29/10/2018 09:26Posted by Tarhaniss
but dont try to force ur worthless opinion how u like to play and why its "great" on others

I'm not a Blizz game dev, I'm not forcing anything on anyone. Your disrespectful and condescending tone doesn't really leave room for a civil discussion so you might wanna tone it down a bit. I have around 30 toons leveled to ~100, and don't really feel sorry for you at all that you have to go through the same quests again, you could choose a different method for leveling or another route over the "same quests" all over. I could unequip everything and fight my way to 120 naked as well sure, but that's nothing a pleasant way to play the game.
If you want people to be sympathetic towards you, try and lose your attitude cause it reeks.

1.U talk like this since beginning of this thread
2.Sure u have xD
3.I guess u have problems with understanding what i said,done loremaster multiple times(opposite to u ;))
4.Point is there we dont have any other way to level(at least if u want to level at simillar Speed)
5.Funny how u skipped every part o my post u dont like(like that this game is balanced around max level)

How even someone who havent done loremaster can talk about questing :O
30 chars around 100 and havent done even 2k quests?someone seems to be a little lier here xD
Since mobs are scaling, leveling is the process of making your character weaker with each level. It's punishing you for getting XP. Of course people aren't happy about it. It is a bad system and whoever decided it was a good idea should feel bad.
Buffing XP is a good way to shorten this bad process. There is no merit in current leveling system. The faster they remove it - the better.