Void Elf RP - Are we doing it wrong?

Argent Dawn
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
I mean does every Human IRL act the same? I get that this game is fantasy, but people act differently.

Just because the Alliance allowed some.. Questionable people out into the field doesn't mean an entire race act like that.

Not every Human is Defias. We see different interpretations of races in game all the time but as soon as we come to Roleplay so many people auto default to X RACE CAN ONLY BE THIS.
Should never have left the High Home, traitors.
Bartending in a tavern near you...
04/11/2018 03:25Posted by Sorrowsun
I think it's down to player choice, if you want to rp your void elf having a strong will and not becoming affected much by the whispers, go for it. If you want to have your void elf go insane that's cool too. We're seeing examples of both in game.

It's almost like void elves can be unique characters with distinct personalities!
04/11/2018 22:26Posted by Vatsug
04/11/2018 03:25Posted by Sorrowsun
I think it's down to player choice, if you want to rp your void elf having a strong will and not becoming affected much by the whispers, go for it. If you want to have your void elf go insane that's cool too. We're seeing examples of both in game.

It's almost like void elves can be unique characters with distinct personalities!

That's insane!
I used to know a maniac-like perverted tentacle-loving female void elf... then she got pwned IC by some puny feral druid in a 1v1. I haven’t heard from her since.
Yes, roleplaying void-addled and centuries old elves as teenage bar-dwelling hedonists is definitively "doing it wrong."
I like to imagine that a race's racial leader is an example of how Blizzard views a race's general disposition.

The Gilneans are stubborn, independent and stern. Greymane is a classic example of this.

Mekkatorque is a brilliant inventor and arguably the most intellectual leader out of the rest of them. His lack of physical dominance is definitely complimented by his intuition and ingenuity.

Lor'themar is wise, noble, honourable and slightly cocky. A solid reflection of the Sin'dorei race.

But of course, there are exceptions to every rule. Cause as it was stated earlier, it's not wise to apply a blanket stereotype to all races.
I think the island expedition characters are purely for the over the top memeing, so they are not an accurate representation, really. Also TL:DR at the bottom.

However, it does open a point for discussion that I've been pondering over with the recent lore. So over the years, we've learned that the Void is one of the most corruptive and maddening forces out there. We've seen this with the Twilight Hammer and other Old God followers and void worshipers, where souls and sanity are traded as currency.

And now, on the other hand we have the Void elves. Who as portrayed, not only do not experience any negative effects of the void (At least not seen in-game from what I have noticed.) but they are actively using it without any ill-effects, without even a lick of dissent or suspicion from anyone about the use of such a nasty power. In fact, they are welcomed and encouraged to do so. Even worse is that most of them were researchers.

You'd think that the people who consumed void, betrayed their own people and got exiled from would be looked at with a bit more... suspicion for the use of those kind of powers, rather than be welcomed with open arms in the other faction.

Which to me screams of either oversight from the writers, obvious worfing or simple playing favorites. It really takes away from the gravity of using such powers if there are no negative sides to it, at least not shown in-game. We've seen first hand the effects of both fel and shadow. But this particular faction? No drawbacks. None. We are told they struggle, but is it represented in a way? Nope.

TL:DR: Void elves were a mistake.
You'd think that the people who consumed void, betrayed their own people and got exiled from would be looked at with a bit more... suspicion for the use of those kind of powers, rather than be welcomed with open arms in the other faction.

Daily reminder about how much better and more sensible velves would have been if they were a group of high elves trying to follow in Alleria's footsteps in order acquire more power to better protect their near-extinct race/culture/society... instead of a group of turncoat belves who were exiled for some awkward reason with all its lore-breaking implications.

That's right folks, remember:

Blizzard HATES high elves so much that they'd rather make void elves be former blood elves, break the lore and introduce a complete bull!@#$ plot than make void elves former be high elves.

I wish the AD community grew some balls and decided together to give the void elves a new background as former high elves because they'd only do the Warcraft universe a favour anyway.
Guys, this is important. We have to make every single thread about how blizz should give us high elves. This is not at all obnoxious or unnecessary. Can we hit 5000 likes for high elves guys? Please, we need high elves. Why don't they just add high elves it's basically blood elves but with different eyes, come on Blizz just give us the high elves, you already have plenty in the game so it fits in the lore for you to give us high elves, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't give us high elves. If we all just keep asking and pushing I'm sure blizz will finally see reason and give us the high elves, who cares that there's already two forms of high elves, I need my blue eyed blondy waifu- I mean, I need a high elf for lore reasons or something, come on blizz, where are the high elves?
05/11/2018 13:20Posted by Magorah
Blizzard HATES high elves so much that they'd rather make void elves be former blood elves, break the lore and introduce a complete bull!@#$ plot than make void elves former be high elves.

Yeah I'm with Blizz on this.

Shame that the Silver Covenant didn't burn with Teldrassil tbh.

--

The lack of VElves seeing any side effects at all outside of the island expeditions is really disappointing.

As is the lack of any sort of animosity with the Lightforged (or indeed anyone else).
When you talk with the void elves as alliance on Boralus, they still look quite insane. Sure, not as much as when fighting them on horde, but the point remains.

Other island npcs talk normally to their own faction or express common traits when fighting their enemies (ex. gazlowe is all stabby and crimelord like).

I don't see why void elves should be the exception and treated differently, just because many rpers don't like the archetype of void infused elves. At this point it feels like ignoring what blizzard is giving us.
05/11/2018 17:09Posted by Alpandone
When you talk with the void elves as alliance on Boralus, they still look quite insane. Sure, not as much as when fighting them on horde, but the point remains.

The two males act perfectly sane in Boralus, and the female just says "What? Who said that?", and she's also the only one who acts 'crazy' in the Island Expeditions. The two males don't act any different to the Blood Elf and Nightborne teams.
The friggin' Vindicaar had a forge that was half-powered by Void. I think they're trying to claw back that whole "Light and Void are necessary, falling blindly into the whispers of either will turn you into a butt" feeling so we can ramp up to the inevitable "kill the void lords" expansion.

Cool as it would be for all VElves and Shadow Priests to immediately turn on their allies in the N'Zoth fight.

Anyway, all this detracts from the real hidden enemies of Azeroth - Death Knights. They're slipping under the radar with all this new drama, to who knows what end...
i Am A vOiD eLf BaBy!

God what a disgusting race...
Nightborne and HM Tauren joining and then actually staying in the Horde is much more nonsensical than void elves imo. Although velves suck too. Velves are to high elves what night warriors are to Illidari. Unnecessary, pulled-out-of-a-rear spotlight stealers.

Any of the other Void Elf NPC's we've seen anywhere in the game apart from the island expeditions team female seem perfectly sane, though.
05/11/2018 18:20Posted by Coldsháde

Any of the other Void Elf NPC's we've seen anywhere in the game apart from the island expeditions team female seem perfectly sane, though.

Velf are on the thin frontier between sanity and insanity... A majority have the discipline to not fall into the insane side... Or too further into insanity. But yes the vast population of Velves are pretty much alright to be around.
Blizzard make every race into a caricature of themselves, it's nothing particularly new. Void Elves are unironically one of the most interesting races at the moment imo though