Void Elf RP - Are we doing it wrong?

Argent Dawn
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
07/11/2018 15:26Posted by Elenthas
07/11/2018 15:16Posted by Ashekiran
I'm just showing you what it looks like,

What you thought it looked like. I think it looks like a cult meeting.

07/11/2018 13:59Posted by Ashekiran
They are depicted in two ways:

1) Scholarly types, with strong morals and discipline of mind extremely pro-alliance
2) Haughty 'high society' socialites with a taste for dark and purple clothes

2 npcs is enough to say socialities are a depiction.
3 npc island expeditioners isn't enough to say crazy is a depiction.

/nod okay

They're 4, which is one more than the expedition.
07/11/2018 11:45Posted by Yue
Oh.

Alliance.

HIGH ELVES NEVER EVER HAHA.

I will never not be smug about this
I'd say void elf socialites would be rare enough given that I doubt many would've been part of Umbric's research, but you could easily have snobby void elves - I imagine that particular trait could easily carry over.

You could of course have crazy void elves who've failed in their training, but from what we've seen of general NPCs and the quest text that Salrathin mentioned before, the general premise seems to be that void elves are a race struggling to suppress the whispers and control them. They've clearly made progress in that regard, but it'd be totally possibly for a character to do a 180 and be overcome by the madness lying just beneath the surface.

Not entirely sure why some are making it out as if playing a void elf that isn't outwardly insane is some sort of weird thing.
Serenial is a good example of how void elves can look sane on the outside but truly be crazed.

heh.
So from what I’ve read here from velf RPers is that there’s nothing setting velves apart from other elves other than being purple.

I can’t be the only one who thinks that’s incredibly dull.
Honestly if you don't want to roleplay the entire mad whisper, crazy man-aspect of velves why not just play a belf, instead?

Bad question. The reason someone wishes to play a race should not be put in question like that.
There are too many possible answers.
Just because not all of them show the mad whisper aspects doesn't mean they aren't there.
Have you asked each of these void elves IC about their voices or did you assume they are just belves in purple?
07/11/2018 15:50Posted by Reznick
So from what I’ve read here from velf RPers is that there’s nothing setting velves apart from other elves other than being purple.

I can’t be the only one who thinks that’s incredibly dull.

Yes, exactly, ''they are not mad-raving crazy'' means exactly that they don't have anything in particular. Right.

Are you just trolling, or do you want an actual answer ?

Because they are not crazy, but the absence of connection to the light obviously has consequences.
I’m not trolling, I just think you went along with the single most boring interpretation of “whispers of the void”.

Portray it however you want but I can’t help but think this is a bit of a missed opportunity and would personally like for the race to have some more appeal other than pointy ears.
07/11/2018 16:07Posted by Reznick
I’m not trolling, I just think you went along with the single most boring interpretation of “whispers of the void”.

Portray it however you want but I can’t help but think this is a bit of a missed opportunity and would personally like for the race to have some more appeal other than pointy ears.

You think that the most interesting interpretation would be to go around SW laughing like a madman making prophetic announces about the return of the Dark Empire?

I prefer to explore the relativistic aspects. What to do, when you know that everything is true? How can you function? What happens, when you can see the craziness of the rest of the world, completely blinded by the lack of perspective of the light?
07/11/2018 15:00Posted by Durathei
Honestly if you don't want to roleplay the entire mad whisper, crazy man-aspect of velves why not just play a belf, instead?

To be fair the whole void thing is the least interesting part about velves for me. I do still occasionally point out the fact that he is constantly struggling to keep the voices in his head in check. But the most interesting dynamic about velves is the fact that they are former blood/high elves. They've been on both sides of the conflict and some of them most likely have spent more time fighting alongside the Alliance than 90% of the people in it.

This is also one of the things that interests me most, being able to play a character that has for most of the time been living/fighting/serving the opposite faction and now is a traitor to that faction and not overly trusted by the new Alliance races
07/11/2018 16:17Posted by Ashekiran
07/11/2018 16:07Posted by Reznick

You think that the most interesting interpretation would be to go around SW laughing like a madman making prophetic announces about the return of the Dark Empire?

I prefer to explore the relativistic aspects. What to do, when you know that everything is true? How can you function? What happens, when you can see the craziness of the rest of the world, completely blinded by the lack of perspective of the light?

One of your examples shows some clear evidence of mental strain while the other may aswell be a belf.

I’m not telling you that you should go around SW and cackle like a maniac but if your character is hearing voices and whatnot it’d be nice to see it have some effect rather than none at all.
I mean, obviously it's close to Belf rp, my character was a Belf a year ago. :/

It's not like Nightborns and Night elves, which have been separated for thousands of years.

Let's not fool ourselves, the point of Velves was to give a Belf equivalent to the Alliance.
07/11/2018 17:31Posted by Reznick
I’m not telling you that you should go around SW and cackle like a maniac but if your character is hearing voices and whatnot it’d be nice to see it have some effect rather than none at all.

That requires to get to know a character, though.
You can't tell what kind of problems go on in the heads of people you see on the streets either.
07/11/2018 20:13Posted by Voidsteel
That requires to get to know a character, though.
You can't tell what kind of problems go on in the heads of people you see on the streets either.

This, I agree with wholly. For people to have mental issues with their whispers, they don't have to cackle all the time and make sacrifices for the Void all time. It's possible to both have a sort of control over your actions and be affected by someone speaking into your head all the time.
This argument again... Look 3 NPC's in a minigame filled to the brim with over the top with stereotypical characters does not make the entire race insane or unhinged or
crazy... compared to the ones that we do see outside of the island expeditions that aren't like that those guys are ott and not the norm.

Umbric is nothing like them, alleria has more void in her than any void elf and isn't like them, hell not a void elf but still an example of a none insane void user in locus walker, the socialites linked before, the instructor in telogrus and the students who are learning under him how to control the void... in fact I don't think there is an over the top unhinged void elf npc that speaks in the game outside of those in the island expeditions.

There's plenty more examples of the void elves controlling it and not being insane as opposed to two or three (I say two as one of them isn't even that unhinged) crazy over the top mofos in an island expedition which some people seem to have attached onto to go "ALL VOID ELVES ARE CRAZY!".

Again I'll cite Steve danuser who said the void elves have "extraordinary discipline" in resisting the void whispers. They have them but they really do not need to act all insane with it as they have it under control, if they damn didn't there wouldn't be a player race to start with.

The day I see a void elf run into stormwind in game and lore and just void bomb the place going all insane and shouting nonsense, then I will agree with you all. We are still to see any of them do anything that is detrimental to their own allies, or even themselves through some insanity to the void. So until then, my point stands.
I don't think all Void Elves should be crazy, in fact most are quite sane even though they face a battle with a powerful force, though what I do think the Void Elf community has done to gain the ire of other role players is playing these super good, kind, holy Elves who unfortunately had a void accident and are now coming to a military/mercenary unit near you.

Don't get me wrong, a few people RPing their Void Elves this way would be fine, but ever since the first Void Elf guilds disbanded it's now most Void Elf RPers who take this sort of turn away from the fantasy of the Void Elves being these Elves who are, at heart radical scholars who commit morally grey acts as a means of progress, whilst their followers and guards work as part of one of the best strike forces within the Alliance.

It's what I call the Purple High Elf Conundrum, so many people RP their Void Elves as simply normal elves who got hit with the void that there's barely any representation of the Void Elves seen in game, and that's why they get so much flak.
Alleria has been using the void for a thousand years; now you might say that Alleria isn't a Void Elf in the same sense of the other Void Elves and can argue that she is a High Elf who uses the Void. With regards to the previous sentence I'll say fine, I'll concede that argument if you feel that way and then point to Umbric who appears in control (so far, not sure story wise where it will go).

But if you look to the three Void Elves for the Riftrunners who also act as a caricature of the idea of going mad by the void, then you can argue for the same.

If someone wants to RP an 'Umbric' Void Elf or a 'Riftrunner' Void Elf then that is up to them and their character. As mentioned before by others, they might be a 'Riftrunner' Void Elf on the inside but give the image of an 'Umbric' Void Elf on the outside.

Anything that can be RP'd can be RP'd well.
08/11/2018 08:08Posted by Hlaren
Alleria has been using the void for a thousand years; now you might say that Alleria isn't a Void Elf in the same sense of the other Void Elves and can argue that she is a High Elf who uses the Void. With regards to the previous sentence I'll say fine, I'll concede that argument if you feel that way and then point to Umbric who appears in control (so far, not sure story wise where it will go).

But if you look to the three Void Elves for the Riftrunners who also act as a caricature of the idea of going mad by the void, then you can argue for the same.

If someone wants to RP an 'Umbric' Void Elf or a 'Riftrunner' Void Elf then that is up to them and their character. As mentioned before by others, they might be a 'Riftrunner' Void Elf on the inside but give the image of an 'Umbric' Void Elf on the outside.

Anything that can be RP'd can be RP'd well.

Not saying people can't or shouldn't. Just refuting those who say that it is the norm or that they SHOULD be some unstable dangerous crazy insane by default based on the island expedition people.
08/11/2018 07:54Posted by Bettiboom
I don't think all Void Elves should be crazy, in fact most are quite sane even though they face a battle with a powerful force, though what I do think the Void Elf community has done to gain the ire of other role players is playing these super good, kind, holy Elves who unfortunately had a void accident and are now coming to a military/mercenary unit near you.

Don't get me wrong, a few people RPing their Void Elves this way would be fine, but ever since the first Void Elf guilds disbanded it's now most Void Elf RPers who take this sort of turn away from the fantasy of the Void Elves being these Elves who are, at heart radical scholars who commit morally grey acts as a means of progress, whilst their followers and guards work as part of one of the best strike forces within the Alliance.

It's what I call the Purple High Elf Conundrum, so many people RP their Void Elves as simply normal elves who got hit with the void that there's barely any representation of the Void Elves seen in game, and that's why they get so much flak.

To be fair, this is again pretty much what is shown to us, Through the main example of Umbric.The guy is REALLY nice. I mean, he goes on and on about the rampant poverty amongst goblins, for example.

From what I got, the main theme of VE is 'we screwed up big-time and we needto make amends'.

An other thing to take into account is character classes. Half, if not more, of the original VE don't seem to be actual scholars, but warriors and rangers. Now, that's a subjective point of view,, but I am under the impression that most of them are just followers. Probably loyalists or family members of the main scholars.

Anyway that's what I made my character. She just followed her warlock head of family.
08/11/2018 10:24Posted by Thurillion
Not saying people can't or shouldn't. Just refuting those who say that it is the norm or that they SHOULD be some unstable dangerous crazy insane by default based on the island expedition people.

I understand, this is more so comments on the title of "Are we doing it wrong". If it was the norm then imagine how detrimental it is to the Alliance.