#NO SHARDING - 2 advices for solution

Classic Discussion
Hello,
I understand blizzard that they are trying to provide us the smoothest launch experiance, but I am strongly against sharding and almost everyone agrees that sharding mechanic is killing the wow classic atmosphere, even and especially if it's there only for a few days during launch period because having a huge and enormous amount of people in starting zone is the first and unforgettable moment for classic wow player.

I think Nostalrius' way is the path blizzard should go for. Every classic wow player should remember and be thankful to Nostalrius team because they are the main reason why we will have official classic wow servers. One of the main reasons why Nostalrius was so popular is that because it managed to give players the oppurtunity to be part of a huge and enormous wow classic community and to feel that and to check that is only possible WITHOUT sharding. Sharding is totally removing that feeling and making wow less massive multiplayer rpg.

Players love to be part of great and massive things, for example if Nostalrius implemented sharding during their launch days we wouldn't be able to experiance this unforgettable experiance (please try to watch as many videos as you can which I posted below):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXrm6xmgehg (this one is from stress test)
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KofyfffcHO4 (orc / troll starting zone)
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI6laG7cwgE (undead starting zone)
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTCWK5-AiC0 (night elf starting zone)
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxoS3F9sB_M (1st open world pvp battle)
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2QALX34xFs (Nost re-opening timelapse IF)
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tDcjZvDNOU (great open world pvp video)
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR3AEUdKdIw (one more open world pvp)
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYFD06UFscw (nightmare dragons pvp)
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPnMFJiOxT4 (fight for blackrock!)
and many, many others...

AND MOST IMPORTANT VIDEO IS THE ONE WHEN NOSTALRIUS WAS SHUTTING DOWN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu-JMqNTn-M

Please, blizzard, if Nostalrius managed to be able to handle on their server so many people at once in one zone WITHOUT sharding, I bet you can do that too with your servers even more and even better because Nostalrius was only a group of people who did it for a love of classic wow and you are officially working and being payed for your work.

1. First implement dynamic respawn rate system just as Nostalrius did it. Yeah, dynamic respawn rate system wasn't part of classic wow but atleast it will not kill wow classic atmosphere as sharding will do and it will make players to spread faster across the other world zones.

2. Announce the day or even days when you will relase classic wow (for example, because of it's great popularity you will release classic wow on 5th or 6th or 7th July 2019) but do not release the exact time when will servers go live and open on that chosen launch day, just take some random time during that launch day so less people will log in at once.

I would not go for original population (2 500 players) because that's low and that cap of 2 500 was set because servers at that time were not so strong as they are today.

Nostalrius managed to have over 10 000 players online at once and if bunch of semi professional developers achived that, I bet blizzard servers and programmers can go for it too and to make them even more stable.

What Nostalrius made to be so popular was their huge population. Sharding is killing that feeling that you are part of a huge and enormous community. That's why I am and many others against sharding. Sharding should not be even considered as an option even if the official launch experiance doesn't go so well because things will settle down in a few days, but sharding will shatter the starting and initial feeling of classic wow atmosphere even and far greater than any other launch experiance.

Once more, NO SHARDING!
07/11/2018 17:54Posted by Torius
Once more, NO SHARDING!

+1
while i agree launch can and will be it's own event for players, it's important to keep in mind few things.

first, classic will be representation of vanilla and what's it's gameplay was all about, not private servers, vanilla launch was not fun and games like nostalrius and Private server launches, real authentic vanilla launch was queues, lag, disconnects, massive problems.

they spesificly told during announcment that they're not intrested in re-creating the initial launch experience of vanilla, i experienced it, it was not fun, not because i didn't have mobs to kill, but because i queued 2hours only to be disconnected and put back to queue and once i finally got to play, i could swing my axe for 10second because the server lagged so badly.

that being said, i'm not saying that we should not have this fun event from Private servers, wich gets me to the second point.

second, this is not Private server launch, this is official classic launch, the ammount of people playing this is going to be WAY more MASSIVE compared to Private server launch, they are going to open several ammount of servers, several, everyone is not going to be packed into one server and there is going to be massive ammount of servers, for massive ammount of people. You cannot even compare 15k players to over 1million players, here on forums is just 1line of words, but if i was to bring you 1 piece of paper for each player, you could physically see the MASSIVE difference in those 2 numbers.

now this brings a problem Private servers doesn't have to worry about, how many servers do we open ?! This is important question, i'm sorry to say, but in the long run it's more important question than launch event, if there is no sharding, they need to create way more servers just for the launch event to avoid 10+ hour queues than what's ultimately neccessary, after the initial hype and intrest starts to fade for classic, we'll end up with several empty and dead servers.

to clarify, i'm not here to advocate or to defend sharding, i'm here to talk about reasons and effects, do we want this pirate server launch event where there is massive ammount of players in one Place ? or do we want correct ammount of servers in the long run ?

personally i would prefer if it's possible, to have no sharding and fun launch event, and correct ammount of servers in the long run, BUT if it's absolutely neccessary for blizzard to impliment sharding in order for them to prepare and calculate correct ammount of servers, then i'm personally willing to let launch event pass for greater good, as long as sharding is removed after initial launch.
Sharding should not be even considered as an option.
By the way, once more, NO SHARDING.
You private server people are CLUELESS.

Nostalrius did that, Nostalrius did this.

Sure, thanks to them (but not ONLY them) Blizzard is making Classic. However, that doesn't mean, AT ALL, that they way Nostalrius cope with population can be applied to Blizzard.

It is APPLES and ORANGES.

When Nostalrius opened, EVERY VANILLA PLAYER IN THE WORLD rolled on ONE SINGLE SERVER. Do you UNDERSTAND that? EVERYONE on ONE SINGLE SERVER.

Nostalrius lost OVER 80% of the initial player base in just one week. Still, they had 10k players online like all the time, being WORLDWIDE.

Such a scenario CANNOT BE CONSIDERED by Blizzard. EVER. Nostalrius was SO FAR FROM VANILLA, that even the Classic DEMO was closer to Vanilla than Nostalrius.

Classic CANNOT have more than 2.5k concurrent player cap per realm. The 2.5k cap was BY DESIGN, and it was part of the SUCCESS Vanilla WoW had in 2005-2006.

Today, the same cap is NEEDED to keep the realms BALANCED : good economy, good levels of population spread among levels, good population spread among zones, plenty of World PvP, but not to much to heavily affect players experience.

Increasing the concurrent cap is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, except for those few very high pop servers, and only temporary (like raiding hours).

Stop asking the IMPOSSIBLE.

Blizzard knows well that population cap is damn important for Classic, and they will absolutely implement very limited and temporary sharding at launch, because this is the best way to do it.

You can't see it, but thankfully, MOST people do. And also Blizzard.
09/11/2018 12:04Posted by Recollector
Blizzard knows well that population cap is damn important for Classic, and they will absolutely implement very limited and temporary sharding at launch, because this is the best way to do it.

Temporary sharding vs temporary dynamic respawns. I don't think it's as clear-cut which is the best option. Both have problems. I think the most important thing is that it should be temporary to the first week or so. When you have a big PvP event with several raids I don't want sharding to suddenly kick in and phase half of the people there.
Im one of thoose "sharding in startzones during the first days is the lesser of evils"-people.
When I look at thoose videos of startzones, the Deathknell one for example, Im not jumping of joy. It looks terrible.
I played during the release of Vanilla, not during "that year", "period" or "month" but during that very same DAY and thoose Nostalrius videos do no represent Vanilla launch at all.

People are starting to mix up Nostalrius with Vanilla a little to much these days.

09/11/2018 12:10Posted by Bumkin
09/11/2018 12:04Posted by Recollector

Temporary sharding vs temporary dynamic respawns. I don't think it's as clear-cut which is the best option. Both have problems. I think the most important thing is that it should be temporary to the first week or so. When you have a big PvP event with several raids I don't want sharding to suddenly kick in and phase half of the people there.

How often will you have those PvP events in Valley of Trials during the first week of Classic?
07/11/2018 17:54Posted by Torius
Once more, NO SHARDING!

No thanks :)
Just have the original vanilla population cap and you won't need sharding nor dynamic respawn.

The original population cap were a design choice, not a limitation.
The sensationalism of the launch could certainly be explored more.

I've only seen the three latest launches and the only one I have any memories of is the disaster that was WoD. Legion and BfA launches with their (for the most part) uneventfulness are but a recognition that Blizz has sorted that part out. At the time, being stuck at the phased site of the to-be garrison with way too many other people all camping crows and trees for hours, was a really, really bad experience.

But that's something I still remember, alongside Khadgar being swarmed by zounds of people at Blasted Lands and having to wait for the game to load the NPC only after all the players, and the cries of people being stuck entering their garrisons due to limited amount of garrison servers(?). For Legion there was the Stormheim starting scenario limbo, and maybe some of the largest servers crashing. BfA only had similar crashing. At least what I've heard/seen/remember (not counting bugs.)

Now what I can't say is how much such memories are worth for the longer life of the game, how much the negative experience will affect hooking uncertain people in or their recommendations for playing Classic. It could also be a positive point... likely only in the long, long run, if Classic ever has a re-launch from the beginning.

Or maybe it's all a form of Stockholm Syndrome where we praise the horrible launches because we're humans.
Just wanted to throw it out there that people are wary of sharding because they're worried if it used as a crutch to support the server during high congestion, that's community events, WPVP (TM/SS, Blackrock, etc) and server events like AQ40. What happens when all the people flooding the starter zones move to the next one?

That's more the point than "because it's vanilla!" it sets a precedent for it's use in those types of situations. My RP server throws a fit when ever they enable sharding, there's a good reason for that since it turns the areas it's enabled in into complete dead zones, the amount of people we have rolling here just because we have no sharding is insane.

Everyone seems to conveniently ignore this and instead trusts the corporate company that just handed diablo mobile to hardcore fans at Blizzcon.

Putting this in here since the discussion have moved to another thread.
09/11/2018 14:49Posted by Meibhín
Just wanted to throw it out there that people are wary of sharding because they're worried if it used as a crutch to support the server during high congestion, that's community events, WPVP (TM/SS, Blackrock, etc) and server events like AQ40. What happens when all the people flooding the starter zones move to the next one?

That's more the point than "because it's vanilla!" it sets a precedent for it's use in those types of situations. My RP server throws a fit when ever they enable sharding, there's a good reason for that since it turns the areas it's enabled in into complete dead zones, the amount of people we have rolling here just because we have no sharding is insane.

Everyone seems to conveniently ignore this and instead trusts the corporate company that just handed diablo mobile to hardcore fans at Blizzcon.

Putting this in here since the discussion have moved to another thread.
Yeah, it pretty much devolved into spamming the spam they spammed your spam with. XD
09/11/2018 14:03Posted by Dumac
Just have the original vanilla population cap and you won't need sharding nor dynamic respawn.

The original population cap were a design choice, not a limitation.
This. The goal of Classic is not to greatly change the way Vanilla was designed.
No sharding as it ruins the community.
Sharding breaks immersion. Dynamic respawns all the way!
Of course, sharding is totally ruining community and breaking immersion of the game.

NO SHARDING!
09/11/2018 16:35Posted by Naranious
No sharding as it ruins the community.

Your whining ruins the community.
12/11/2018 02:06Posted by Mailan
Sharding breaks immersion. Dynamic respawns all the way!
So sharding prevents your imagination to work properly and constantly killing the same Defias member doesn't?

I'd say it's your imagination that has a flaw, not the game. ;)