Give the option of paying real money to skip Pathfinder

General
Prev 1 2 3 4 13 Next
Why irl money and not just use ingame gold? We dont want this game to be a big cash shop to get around... Plus you can easily get it if you bother to play the game. Path finder is as good as 0 effort. And yes I agree, you should be playing the content before you get flying. You miss out on so much stuff flying around vs walking. Dont get me wrong, you also miss out on stuff because you cant fly, but you will get that later anyway, and the first thing I will do is fly up that mountain in drustvar I tried to climb as war to the top!
I agree they should remove Pathfinder requirement for flying AFTER the release of new expac. I had fun grinding it at the time when it was relevant; I can’t see it doing any harm removing it.
10/11/2018 17:31Posted by Iggwilv
I had fun grinding it at the time when it was relevant
This is really important for me too. Pathfinder isn't a grind when you're playing through the content anyway, but it becomes a grind when you go back to an old expansion just for that reason.
10/11/2018 14:37Posted by Eighjan
10/11/2018 14:27Posted by Jirion
Pathfinder for previous expansions should be removed. Pathfinder should only exist on current expansions. There's no point going to relive old boring, outdated content that makes me want to kill myself. Same goes for the terrible rep grind for allied races - no one is at a disadvantage if everyone is able to gain access to the races but unfortunately only the people who have the time get to unlock features that were headline for this pathetic expansion.
You sound like what I call "a console generation player", where a new game is a totally distinct chapter of an old game, not a continuation... MMO-RPG (esp. on a PC) are wasted on that generation of game players - sad truth.

Nothing is going to waste. I progressed more into higher level content (not high high) than you have. Those measley grinds are pointless and complement to nothing. Now stop commenting on your alt :)
10/11/2018 14:04Posted by Msspellman
And why no?

Because of the Precedent it would set.
If they remove the Pathfinder AFTER the expansion is over, then they might as well just completely remove it. I've gotten the Pathfinder each expansion since WoD, and I know that if I knew they'd remove it afterwards, I wouldn't spend the time grinding for it, same as a lot of other people.

Why should people who wasn't there for the expansion be able to reap the same rewards as those who were? It's not Blizzards fault you weren't there, that was on you. You missed out, so if you want it, you need to go and work for it, the same as every person who has it.

This just screams entitlement. You're not entitled to things that YOU missed, as it's your fault you missed it. Why should Blizzard remove something for people who wasn't there in the game? Why should the people who actually DID the grind have to be punished by doing it, since you're expecting it to just be removed afterwards. That doesn't sound like a good decision.
Good idea, I like it.
10/11/2018 19:11Posted by Shortbolts
Why should the people who actually DID the grind have to be punished by doing it
Why do you feel that playing a game is punishment? You played the content, you got to enjoy it while it was relevant, so good for you.

The people who did pathfinder at the time were able to fly while the expansion was still current. The people who didn't do it were not able to fly during the expansion. That's fair and all that really matters.

Being able to fly in old expansions would be just a small convenience for people who are playing through content that nobody else is doing. It doesn't punish or even affect anyone in BFA.

You talk about entitlement and punishment, and whose "fault" it is, like someone did something wrong because they joined the game later than you did.
10/11/2018 14:05Posted by Xemeron

And why no? If you don't want to pay you don't have to and just stick with the grind fest that it is.

Because the whole point of Pathfinder is that you first experience the whole content

10/11/2018 14:05Posted by Xemeron

And why no? If you don't want to pay you don't have to and just stick with the grind fest that it is.

Because the whole point of Pathfinder is that you first experience the whole content

You cant just throw money ar everything an make it go away!
This is Blizzard, not EA!

What content? I think there should be multiple paths to flying. Not necessarily real cash payment but certain achieves you can get which unlock it. For example, if I'm only interested in pvp then there should be a pvp path.
10/11/2018 19:38Posted by Keele
Why do you feel that playing a game is punishment? You played the content, you got to enjoy it while it was relevant, so good for you.

But, we still HAD to grind it. We were the ones who were still paying Sub, still playing the game, so why should the people who wasn't there get what WE worked for by doing none of the work? That's just wrong.

The people who did pathfinder at the time were able to fly while the expansion was still current. The people who didn't do it were not able to fly during the expansion. That's fair and all that really matters.

And they still shouldn't be able to fly, because they haven't done it. It's as simple as that. Why should they be allowed to now fly in the zone that they couldn't when it was "relevant". They maybe should remove the rep, but that's it. The rest SHOULD stay, so people can go and do the content they haven't done to get it. The Rep isn't important anymore, but the rest of the stuff is still relevant to those who haven't done it.

Being able to fly in old expansions would be just a small convenience for people who are playing through content that nobody else is doing. It doesn't punish or even affect anyone in BFA.

A convenience that should be earned, the same way it was earned when it was relevant. You shouldn't be given freebies for not playing at the time, that's just moronic.

You talk about entitlement and punishment, and whose "fault" it is, like someone did something wrong because they joined the game later than you did.

I have 3 friends who have recently joined WoW, they joined in BFA. I have told them about the Pathfinder achievements later down the line. And their comments were "Oh, looks like we'll have some work to do then!". Just because it's an "old" expansion, doesn't mean the things there are now irrelevant.

If you haven't done the content, then it's still considered relevant to you. If you have done the content, then you'll have flying (Bar the rep, but as I said, that's the only thing that should be removed from the old pathfinders".

The whole point of an MMORPG is to expand on the world, the WHOLE world is still relevant content, whether it's new or old. Asking for it to be removed afterwards is just being the person being entitled. They feel they are entitled to something that others worked for, but they don't want to put LESS work into it.

And I say less work, because when it was relevant, we couldn't go round 1 shotting everything. We had to form groups to get things done, and it took us longer to get it. Where now, you can go back to WoD and have the whole thing done in 1-2 weeks (When in WoD, it took at least a month JUST for the reps in Tanaan).

And I know it takes 1-2 weeks, as I've had 2 friends go back and do it, and it took them just under 2 weeks to go from none of the content done, to having flying.

I'll ask again, why should someone who WASN'T there for the expansion, be given something that others who WERE there had to work for?

Also, if this DID happen, how many people would actually grind for the Pathfinder achievement? And how many who usually grind for it, would just think "I might as well leave it, gonna get it for free next expansion anyway".
Pathfinder itself is no problem. Doing WQs/dailies for 3 weeks after doing all of the quest lines and exploring is a bit too much. It would be unfair to change the old stuff, but they could add more contracts of a rep buff for old content. Honestly they should keep pathfinder for future expansions but just make it so that you do the lore master achievement for that expac so people experience the meaningful content.
10/11/2018 20:07Posted by Lonvelion
Pathfinder itself is no problem. Doing WQs/dailies for 3 weeks after doing all of the quest lines and exploring is a bit too much. It would be unfair to change the old stuff, but they could add more contracts of a rep buff for old content. Honestly they should keep pathfinder for future expansions but just make it so that you do the lore master achievement for that expac so people experience the meaningful content.

Agreed. I think that once the next expansion comes out, the old Pathfinder shouldn't have the rep grinds anymore. The rest of the content and achievements should stay, but the rep grinds should go. That way, people can't complain about them being stuck behind time-gated content, and the people who did it at the time would be fine with it, since you gain the reps passively throughout the expansion anyway.
That's a dangerous road to go down to,

Don't forget that it's Activision-Blizzard now.
If this would become a financial succes, how long would it take for other features to become one long grind, but you can pay real money to skip it?
10/11/2018 19:51Posted by Shortbolts
I'll ask again, why should someone who WASN'T there for the expansion, be given something that others who WERE there had to work for?
Because when the expansion was current, it wasn't actually work since you would be playing that content anyway. Now there is a kind of opportunity cost to consider. Do I progress my main in BFA? Do I level my alt? Do I spend 2 weeks on this old content for a token reward that won't matter in a few levels?

I can't say how many will still do pathfinder if it becomes free in older expansions. I can say that I don't mind doing the current pathfinder at all. Most of it is content that I'm doing anyway, and once I've done all the quests I can just look up the achievement and check off any remaining bits and pieces. It hardly took 30mins of purposefully doing pathfinder to complete it. It doesn't feel like I'm working or being punished for doing it so I can't really relate to your perspective.

10/11/2018 19:51Posted by Shortbolts
The whole point of an MMORPG is to expand on the world, the WHOLE world is still relevant content, whether it's new or old. Asking for it to be removed afterwards is just being the person being entitled. They feel they are entitled to something that others worked for, but they don't want to put LESS work into it.
Perhaps in other mmos where the world scales to your level that is true. Old content in wow doesn't have much value aside from some token rewards.
I have to laugh at anyone who thinks it is a "grind". That word is thrown around far too often. WoW has very few grinds left, play Vanilla or an old school 90s/early 00s MMO and you'll see what a grind is.

If we are talking about Legion pathfinder, you can gain it passively with zero effort on your behalf. Just do class hall missions for reputation every day. Of course, if you are looking for instant-gratification to have this completed in one day, you will be disappointed. But you have no excuse to call it a grind, when a no-grind alternative exists.

BfA repuation from missions is admittedly a lot more scarce than Legion, but it's still current content and nobody has access to flying yet. Go out there and play the damn game like the rest of us, and donate your $200 to a worthy charity. Get some perspective.
I'd suggest adding an option to simply buy the flying ability in old zones, for gold.

Joined by the end of Legion. I consider myself a lazy person, but I've managed to get BfA pathfinder (you'll get it eventually as you play) and Legion one, too (unlocking allied races)... but WoD? Hell nay, there's nothing interesting that makes me do it, the content there is irrelevant at this point. It would be a nice addition for alt exping, even tho WoD leveling is extremely fast anyway. Pathfinder should be replaced with flying teacher as soon as new expansion hits live, there's nothing wrong with that.

Why should we lock new players behind an unnecessary grind? At some point there'll be a new expansion after BfA and new players will come with it. Would I be mad if they could unlock flying by paying gold? No. Pathfinder is a QoL additon that is only relevant on current content.

TL;DR Yes - pathfinder for current content, no - pathfinder for the old, irrelevant content.
Why would you want to pay your way to the one bit of content in modern wow, that acctually feels like an an achievement to get?
i like having to play the game to get bonuses it in.
I hate the idea of paying cash to skip it.
This is not a free to play game.
We pay our monthly sub.
I will not be happy if they ever add bonuses for people that give them money outside of this.
How about no and stop giving Blizzard more cash grab ideas.