[Spoilers alert] 8.1 Discussion Thread the Third.

Argent Dawn
Prev 1 11 12 13 26 Next
19/10/2018 12:15Posted by Darianuth
"Nah have the Alliance deploy Warhammer 40k Purge Squads to wipe out the Vulpera"

I can fault the Alliance for many things, but this is not one of them.
To all the people who say "PLAY VOL'DUN AGAIN!"

I did, twice now, saw the llama caravan rider, saw that "Badass" freedom fighter and that other dude who is just standing there babbling. Know what I see? a random race that was added just to appeal to as many people as possible without any actual thought about how to best introduce it.

We never heard about the Vulpera before this expansion. and now all of a sudden we discover that in a single desert, in an already small island there's a race of fox people who are fighting an empire of snake people? Don't you see how ridiculous this looks?

Look how they handled new playable races before. Blood Elves and Draenei played a major role in Burning Crusade, Goblins and Worgens already had a big part in lore already, so there was no need for a lot of explanation. And Pandarens? Damn, they got a whole continent just dedicated to exploring their culture and way of life.

You want a cutesy fox race? Fine, but at least make an effort to implement them In a way that doesn't seem like you are just baiting furries.
Well people can complain all they want about Vulpera. If you're quitting WoW should they become an Allied race, then I bid you farewell my friend!

I shall not miss you.
19/10/2018 13:09Posted by Zasnok
To all the people who say "PLAY VOL'DUN AGAIN!"

I did, twice now, saw the llama caravan rider, saw that "Badass" freedom fighter and that other dude who is just standing there babbling. Know what I see? a random race that was added just to appeal to as many people as possible without any actual thought about how to best introduce it.

We never heard about the Vulpera before this expansion. and now all of a sudden we discover that in a single desert, in an already small island there's a race of fox people who are fighting an empire of snake people? Don't you see how ridiculous this looks?

Look how they handled new playable races before. Blood Elves and Draenei played a major role in Burning Crusade, Goblins and Worgens already had a big part in lore already, so there was no need for a lot of explanation. And Pandarens? Damn, they got a whole continent just dedicated to exploring their culture and way of life.

You want a cutesy fox race? Fine, but at least make an effort to implement them In a way that doesn't seem like you are just baiting furries.

And at the time, the draenei seemed as if Blizzard pulled them out their arses. But look where development can take you.

I understand the general point you bring up in your post, the vulpera does not have a part in previous lore, but should that limit the candidates for the allied race pool?

I do not think the reason as to why people are so against the vulpera is due to the lore perspective, though. I think it is more so about people getting their knickers in a twist because they do not want to see cutesy races in their game of war and carnage.

And at the time, the draenei seemed as if Blizzard pulled them out their arses. But look where development can take you.

I understand the general point you bring up in your post, the vulpera does not have a part in previous lore, but should that limit the candidates for the allied race pool?

I do not think the reason as to why people are so against the vulpera is the lore perspective, though. I think it is more so about people getting their knickers in a twist because they do not want to see cutesy things in their game of war and carnage.

Read what I wrote again, because I addressed everything you just talked about.

Draenei were pulled out of nowhere, but they were given major focus from the start of the expension. They had Azuremyst and Bloodmyst Isle to explore, and NPCs were placed in several places across old content. Then there's whole of Outland where the Draenei played a major part.

This isn't about them being new, this isn't about them being cute (I love the Pandaren, and they were blamed for being too "cute" as well), it's just that if they will turn out to be playable, their implementation is incredibly lazy.
19/10/2018 13:42Posted by Valistrophe
I do not think the reason as to why people are so against the vulpera is due to the lore perspective, though. I think it is more so about people getting their knickers in a twist because they do not want to see cutesy races in their game of war and carnage.

Another point to consider is that the more allied races are added, the less spotlight is given to already existing races that desperately need more lore, more story, more screentime. The roster grows thin and stretched and in the end the difference between races might be just superficial appearance (the animation and skeletons are most likely loaned from something else).
19/10/2018 11:41Posted by Darianuth
19/10/2018 10:29Posted by Moody
Never

I'd rather die

Well, you won't get to see why we want them then. As mentioned these little buggers can be pretty brutal and hardcore.

Do you really mean to tell me you didn't pay attention to LITERALLY the first quest where the first Vulpera you meet decides to wear the skulls of her enemies for armour? Or the later (iirc) mandatory quests where you help them break free of a slave market, burn the place down then hand them all weapons to fight the sethrak?

Genuine question: How did you miss all of that while doing the zone main story?

I stopped paying attention and reading quest text while doing Vol'dun because of all the sidequests. I also had an a priori apathy towards vulpera that caused me to not pay much attention to begin with, and what I saw wasn't enough to change my mind.
19/10/2018 13:55Posted by Beringer
19/10/2018 13:42Posted by Valistrophe

Another point to consider is that the more allied races are added, the less spotlight is given to already existing races that desperately need more lore, more story, more screentime. The roster grows thin and stretched and in the end the difference between races might be just superficial appearance (the animation and skeletons are most likely loaned from something else).

Anyone remember the time normal taurens were given major lore focus?

:'D
19/10/2018 13:55Posted by Zasnok
Draenei were pulled out of nowhere, but they were given major focus from the start of the expension. They had Azuremyst and Bloodmyst Isle to explore, and NPCs were placed in several places across old content. Then there's whole of Outland where the Draenei played a major part.

My apologies, seems I did in fact not get your point.

19/10/2018 13:55Posted by Zasnok
This isn't about them being new, this isn't about them being cute (I love the Pandaren, and they were blamed for being too "cute" as well), it's just that if they will turn out to be playable, their implementation is incredibly lazy.

I think the general feedback has merely been a blind hate train of "purge the cute abominations", without any further reflection. Very much akin to the pandaren resentment, as you said. Which is why I think I was a bit quick to jump the gun.

Anyway, with your standpoint on lore laziness, I can agree.
Just a quick note, none of this actually means that we will be getting Vulpera as an allied race for the Horde. That's still conjecture.

All that's concrete and relevant right now is that the Alliance sends individuals that belong to a 'Purge Squad' to capture and execute Vulpera, regardless of how dangerous they might be. We do not know how involved the Alliance player character will be or what this will lead to in the long run.

So don't be too trigger-happy with that unsubscribe button. For all we know, this might just be a bit of fluff for Vol'dun invasions that's absolutely irrelevant outside of invasion content.

Know what I see? a random race that was added just to appeal to as many people as possible without any actual thought about how to best introduce it.

Amen to this, and add the Sethrak and the Tortollans.
19/10/2018 14:11Posted by Taxania
So don't be too trigger-happy with that unsubscribe button. For all we know, this might just be a bit of fluff for Vol'dun invasions that's absolutely irrelevant outside of invasion content.

That might be entirely true but then it begs a question: why though. A Horde player/character sure has helped the little buggers out a bit here and there on Vol'dun but they are not the Horde's allies, unofficially nor officially, right? Why is this little scenario created in a way akin to Brennadam, to shock the other faction unless we are meant to "care" about Vulpera, specifically? And for the time being, they are just a new NPC faction with little story behind them, unless... they become playable and we suddenly have a reason to care? It is so very illogical, the whole thing - I could understand Brennadam, and although one-sided, it was presented with shock and horror but this just feels weird.

19/10/2018 14:05Posted by Zasnok
normal taurens

who?
19/10/2018 14:29Posted by Beringer
who?

:,(
why though

Because there's almost no content relevant to the Horde-Alliance conflict in Vol'dun, meaning that they have to either invent stuff or somehow tie in existing stuff in a very ham-fisted way. And they've done both, with the Alliance attacking Horde zeppelins which are suddenly stationed in Vol'dun out of nowhere while also attacking a native population that is tangentially connected to the Horde.
I'd be surprised if they were added as an allied race, since up until now all of them have been a variant of an existing race, even if the variant was newly introduced. If the vulpera are added, I think they're more likely to be a fully fledged race instead. For future allied races I'd expect stuff like Wildhammer dwarves and such.
all this talk about vulpera as an allied race makes me think if people forgot that zandalari trolls an kul tirans are yet to be added, and they are confirmed.
19/10/2018 06:08Posted by Eagleroar
19/10/2018 01:16Posted by Zasnok
My issue with Vulpera joining the horde isn't regarding the lore and more about the aweful "cutesy :3" RP we will get with their inclusion.

Expecting alot of stupid songs about llamas.

are you kiddin? the vulpera are badass little freedom fighters, who burn down their slavers markets and destroy them, fight tooth and claw to gain their freedom and fight tenaciously in the face of great odds. did we play the same zone or...? please please check out vol'dun again.

Ohman, how will the Vulpera react when they find out the Horde has the biggest slave-rings on Azeroth with giant !@# Gladiator tournaments!

19/10/2018 12:35Posted by Beringer
19/10/2018 12:26Posted by Bramblefur
https://i.imgur.com/aT6rUML.png

Hahah no worries I just have to take back every good word I have ever said on behalf of vulpera

and I don't even need to hesitate for a moment

Well, seems Blizzard did it before any RPer could! Have fun with your Vulpera, guis!
The real question is, who will be the first person to make a <Purge Squad> RP guild acting as the morally grey arm of the Alliance with fire mages and warlocks and be super evil except not really because it's justified and they all have official warlock licenses
My issue with it isn't the fact it a contradicts what the Alliance's general policies and indeed, values, are; nor the fact they seem to be making an express effort to attack harmless Vulpera without any clear reason whatsoever. My main issue is the fact there are Draenei in the Purge Squad.

Given that all surviving Draenei have suffered personal experiences of genocide, perhaps even multiple times millenia, why would they suddenly be okay with being complicit in it?

I can accept an overzealous Alliance commander attacking the Vulpera to stop them acting as suppliers to the Horde, but I more struggle to comprehend why a Draenei shaman would want to fight alongside warlocks for no purpose other than killing.