Times Changed

General
So a little story about me and why I am leaving some of it probably not worthy of reading by the majority of players that was not here during the glory days of heroes and adventures post 2008 era.

I just turned 29 couple days ago and I am now at a point with World of Warcraft where I feel that it has lost its essence of what made WoW a truly great "Massively Multiplayer Online RolePlaying Game"

The Great Times

In 2005 I was 15 years old completely head in school dealing with the joys and boring side of it then I went to shops and bought my usual PC Gamer Magazine for £4.99 in the UK and in it showed a game called World of Warcraft that is gaining traction and popularity saying this is the next great thing since Ultima Online mind you at the time I never heard of Ultima but I did start dabbing into MMORPGS well before World of Warcraft like EvE Online / Anarchy Online and what got me into this genre was the community and how big the world was and when I looked at the screenshots in the magazine I did not know what I was looking at.

So in March I got a copy of World of Warcraft which I still have to this date and had to beg on all fours to get my Mother to use her card to fund my session of World of Warcraft and by god I wonder if she regrets it.

First thing I did was install it disk after disk while reading the manual like the bible seeing all these classes and lore behind it then finally it was installed I created an account got my mothers blessing and hopped on the first character I created was a Human Paladin because I liked Arthas as I played Warcraft 3 and Frozen Thrones before World of Warcraft came out and I wanted to see if I could be better then him at that age your imagination runs wild.

I picked Sunstrider as my server and when the loading screen finally ended my draw dropped on the beauty of the game and my mind could not comprehend what I was playing it felt large and full of life every where I went there was players doing stuff, talking there was so much going on by time I hit level 9 about 2 hours gone past and my Mother started to ask "what the hell you doing on the computer for so long" I said nothing as she would not understand what I was playing and neither did I.

Next day I came back on it obviously after school and it started to dawn on me that this World is huge and further I went into it the greater the challenge and dangerous encounters i'll meet finally moved away from Elwynn Forest and arrived at Westfall it was a place I did not thoroughly enjoy but It was also the place I encountered the Deadmines dungeon and my first taste of dungeon content I spent many hours in it doing single runs reason it took so long is because no one had a clue on what abilitys bosses do or how to correctly deal with adds except for the alpha/beta testers of course.

Couple days later I finally got taste of PvP battling horde players in Ashenvale forest and Cross Roads and I felt so immersive and you knew who players where back in them days alliance and horde you will know the alliance players come to aid you and the horde that gank you over and over in the Wetlands or other areas you can build a reputation from players.

Overtime many weeks later I finally got to level 50 after experiencing how vast the areas the land and lore is and rekindly areas that I remember from Warcraft 3 Stratholme, Tirisfal Glades, Kalimdor I finaly got word about raiding at that time I did not know what it ment but I did couple days later and started to work my !@#$ of to become a raider.

I dinged 60 after spending many hours or days skipping school to achieve that level after I got it I then started to here I need to be attuned to first raid which is Molten Core I started to do UBRS and LBRS to get my a paladin and during time dungeons last hours and it maybe a pain but where is the fun in that?

After finally being attuned I hit Molten Core with 40 players and I never felt so attached to a group of players you do not know and defeating a Raid Boss and getting loot while most children around my neighbourhood where playing football or just messing around outside.. I was killing raid bosses in molten core.
This is my little story of of my time during the glory days I could go further with other raid tiers and that but I am sure everyone else has a story of your own adventures and deeds.

So what went wrong? now this is my personal opinion you can listen to it agree, ignore or turn a blind eye.

What World of Warcraft had then and not Today.

- Community
Back then when you log in you knew players on the server from crafters to adventurers up for dungeons or the famous guilds of the server and the bad and the ugly but it did achieve a sense of belonging a big community.

But now with Sharding/Phasing and Cross realms the sense of community feeling has been lost players come and go and in the end you lose touch of who your speaking to

- The World
In the old days when you move around from area to area you felt the dangers around you it made you weary and look to others for help and it also gave you a sense of adventure

Today areas and world has lost it sense of purpose there is no life in them when you move around players are non existent most of the time you just travel by your self not encountering anything interesting to keep you entertained and engaged.

- The PvP
There can be no equal to what player verse player was in them days compared to now on them servers we picked we made our mark good or bad and made others players lives hell and we enjoyed it.
We had ashenvale forest, the cross road skirmishes and in eastern kingdoms we where fighting players in the halls or Scarlet Monestary and even waging a mini war in Tarren Mill and South Shore and obviously can't forget Wetlands and Strangle Thorn can we?
We did not get anything in return ie something physical but we got a reputation grown from the encounter.

Today's PvP is nothing like the past we encounter enemy players gank and kill them they just another player you will never see again due to cross realm and phasing mechanics. In battlegrounds you will just encounter unbalanced teams from different servers and regions that will not give you a lasting impression and with this new feature called WarMode it did not reinvent World PvP it only shown one thing and that is that World PvP can never never happen again to what it was originaly especially with cross realm being enabled it is a flawed system horde players are out numbered by alliance or the other way round and some times you don't encounter them at all.

PvP has lost its real purpose now its all about Esports for the next generation.

The PvE
Today we are now in the era of entitlement and esports they have shaped World of Warcraft to what it is now we have mythic+ and multiple difficulties of raiding to show others that your the best.

In my opinion you don't have to agree or disagree I think we should of only had one diffculty in dungeons and raids and the natural progression of items had to been more challenging bosses in the actual raid and not a upgrade to easy > normal > hard modes yes it would of mean everyone was on a even leveling field but at least we would of had bigger raids and quality bosses instead of overtuned difficulties like it was in the old days.

Convience
Yep had to bring this off reward the clock back to 2005 we had nothing to make our lifes easy we was adventurers in the big world we look to others to overcome the challenges ahead and that what made the game a Massively Multiplayer Online Game.

Battlegrounds

When they first release battlegrounds everyone said it will kill World PvP there and then but It did not at the start but it certainly did today. I enjoyed them at the time but I enjoyed Tarren Mill and Ashenvale and other a lot more but problem with Battlegrounds it started the fundamental ground work that killed anything related to a MMORPG and in general the World.
Then came Cross-Realm Battlegrounds another message of what is to come it certainly made realms lose a sense of community specially with open world pvp on the server.

Looking for Group Finder

I believe this came in patch 3.3.0 another feature that killed any sense of the game being a MMORPG gone are the days of going to town and advertising for a group and making your way to the entrance now you can just use this tool and you get instantly teleported to dungeon another reason why the World has lost its purpose in Today;s World of Warcraft.
Yes in order to do Mythic Dungeons you need to travel but that is only a small band aid to the wider problem.

It is a true feature to term convenience its for the players that do not have time anymore to go out in the world and journey to their dungeon. And I maybe flamed for this but you do not have time to even walk or journey to the entrance then maybe you should stop playing in general? because of that you just killed the MMORPG Genre

And that's it from me I do not want a hated flamefest or destructive discussion I like to hear positive and negative opinions from everyone and listen to your story of how YOU think things have changed over time.

As Garrosh said "Times Changed" is it my time?
Blood elf leaving?

Hooray!
TL;DR?
Oh, there isn't one it's just a whine. Except for the "I love classic" parts, which are a super whine.

Blood elf in Classic MC?
Don’t let the door hit you on your way out
So go play Classic
The sense of danger is directly correlated with the degree of knowledge over something.

You can't expect something to feel dangerous after getting accustomed to it over the years, not every area can be dangerous.

You can't be levelling nowadays and feel threatened even by something which you know by now that you can either kill it or you can't. And in case of "you can't", you most likely know how to avoid it.

With all that amount of knowledge there can be no sense of danger. It's only natural. It's not a game flaw, it's an expected natural progression.

The sense of danger is still there when you are first doing mythic bosses in Uldir (or any other raid which is/was current content) until they go on farm for example. And then it goes away. That's just how our brains work.
11/11/2018 07:20Posted by Leymaiden
The sense of danger is directly correlated with the degree of knowledge over something.

You can't expect something to feel dangerous after getting accustomed to it over the years, not every area can be dangerous.

You can't be levelling nowadays and feel threatened even by something which you know by now that you can either kill it or you can't. And in case of "you can't", you most likely know how to avoid it.

With all that amount of knowledge there can be no sense of danger. It's only natural. It's not a game flaw, it's an expected natural progression.

The sense of danger is still there when you are first doing mythic bosses in Uldir (or any other raid which is/was current content) until they go on farm for example. And then it goes away. That's just how our brains work.

Logic? On the forums? Away with you're false prophets *shakesfist ;-p
I'll cya in classic Zevral ;) don't listen to this lot, any time someone wants to leave this game they cheer. They won't be cheering when there's only 1000 meganeckbeards left at this rate
Slow leveling, everything being extremely grindy, most classes having only 1 viable spec, single button rotations and autoattacks being part of melee rotation, faceroll dungeon and raid mechanics, attunements, searching for people for hours in order to do dungeons and raids, getting all those people to move to the entrance, no flying mounts, no cross realm so you won't be able to play with your friends who are on another server and you're pretty much screwed if you are on a low pop realm, none of the QoL features we have today, old mob tagging, old resource tapping, corpse run in dungeons, trash respawning in raids... Yeah, how fun it all sounds!

They've already announced the release date for classic, just wait for that mess.
11/11/2018 15:46Posted by Savoren
Slow leveling, everything being extremely grindy, most classes having only 1 viable spec, single button rotations and autoattacks being part of melee rotation, faceroll dungeon and raid mechanics, attunements, searching for people for hours in order to do dungeons and raids, getting all those people to move to the entrance, no flying mounts, no cross realm so you won't be able to play with your friends who are on another server and you're pretty much screwed if you are on a low pop realm, none of the QoL features we have today, old mob tagging, old resource tapping, corpse run in dungeons, trash respawning in raids... Yeah, how fun it all sounds!

Imagine thinking that all of these things are somehow bad. If they were, then how did WoW manage to become the most dominant mmorpg and in times like today, have huge chunks of the fanbase wanting to go back to vanilla.

The QoL fixes contributes directly to solo-play mentality, entitlement and arrogance. You see it everywhere like a plague as if everyone's cynical and hates you just for being in the dungeon group.

These old limitations were designed that way. They weren't implemented by accident because they wanted to make players realise that they have to rely on communication with other players to progress in the game. Hate old mob tapping? make a group or join one about to start, wait for respawn and join the next group, make some friends because likely you'll all be on the same quest chain.

Trash respawning in raids? more loot.

attunements? Great lore and a way to pace game-content without todays facade and outright admitting of "time-gating" to ruin everyone's immersion.

Faceroll dungeon and raid mechanics? Perhaps with today's class designs where most classes have an answer for everything. Back then, even faceroll mechanics took a good skill of prioritisation and planning due to limitations of your composition.

Autoattacks being part of melee rotation? What's the problem with that? Atleast it's not like now where you can macro 6 abilities to 1 key and faceroll burst 100k damage at someone while your autoatacks double hit in between. Screw your hack 'n' slash mentality, this is wow and not ninja gaiden.

Most classes didn't have 1 viable spec. All classes had many interpretations of themselves as they have access to all spec baseline abilities with talent enhancements, want to be a frost/ arcane mage? Go for it. Want to be part feral, part resto? Sure thing, you're just talking about the extreme top 0.1% of min-maxing culture which didn't matter as the game wasn't designed for people to have to min-max to win. These time-races were made by the players themselves much like a lot of fun things to do in the game as with access to so much, people made up their own games inside the game.

Consider yourself BTFO'd