OT - 2 Minute Silence in Game

General
Please come to Mirror Lake just next to the right of Stormwind Gates at 11am GMT.

I believe it should be safe for Horde too off the guards path.

Disarm, no fighting, respect.
Thank You.
For what exactly?
I don't believe what I am hearing Remembrance Day 2018 100 years.
I thought they cancelled that due to rain?
WW1 ended 11th day of the 11th month at the 11th hour in france in 1918, 100 years ago
11/11/2018 10:37Posted by Valkiá

Not a welcome comment. Thank You.
Anyone else? Before this post gets deleted.
I am not online right now and can't log in but I support your effort and will be there in spirit :)
In trade channel no one knows what today is, what do they teach you lot in school?
I heard that for a lot of EU countries its not as widely remembered.
11/11/2018 10:37Posted by Valkiá

#JustAmericanThings
I can't believe some of the posts here...

Only two words come to mind, for those concerned - "Disrespectful C***s".
11/11/2018 11:04Posted by Slugtrail
I heard that for a lot of EU countries its not as widely remembered.
The UK had a representative from the German government lay a wreath at the Cenotaph, in London for the first time since any hostilities ended.
thank you for respecting this day
11/11/2018 14:17Posted by Eighjan
The UK had a representative from the German government lay a wreath at the Cenotaph, in London for the first time since any hostilities ended.

That's interesting to know, I was actually in Germany on my Honeymoon, this time 15 years ago, when Remembrance Sunday happened, and me and my wife were wearing Poppies, and the Queen happened to be on a state visit to Berlin at the same time. I remember getting asked a lot by both young and old Germans what the symbology of it was, as obviously they saw on TV the Queen was wearing one, and then are these two British tourists wearing them.
(Imagine trying to explain the poppies to German people, when German is not your native tongue...Thankfully I speak fairly fluent German)

Its not that much of a European thing, certainly not in Germany, almost all the people I spoke to had assumed it was just a symbol of 'Britishness' sort of like the Red Rose and White Rose were symbols of the rival dynasties in the War of the Roses.

When I explained it to them, every German person I spoke to thought it was a wonderful and touching idea, and wished they had something similar in their own country.

Perhaps the most poignant example was an older chap sat at a table in a bar next to us in Cologne, who looked old enough to have served in WWII, He was curious as to what the Poppy meant, and we explained it, (Well, I did, my wife at the time didn't speak much German), and we got chatting, and he told us that yes, he had served, he was a Bombardier on a Heinkel, then he suddenly looked stricken, and asked where in England we were from. (You can see where this is going...) I said, "Well, we live in Coventry".
He was mortified. He sort of muttered "I'm very sorry" and of course I put two and two together, and went "Ah, a Bombardier in the Luftwaffe, did you eh, Visit Coventry from above during the War?" and he nodded sadly. I was like "If it is any consolation, we weren't there at the time!".

Now in Germany, you automatically have a tab when you go to a pub, we don't have that in Britain, so a few hours later, we went to settle up our bill, only to be told by the waiter that 'Old Paul' had Paid it for us. Lovely old fella he was.

But yes, its more a Britain and Commonwealth thing, although other countries affected by the Wars tend to send delegations also, to deliver wreaths.

Interesting to know this is the first time Germany did so.
inb4 Funeral raid 2.0
11/11/2018 14:43Posted by Brigante
Now in Germany, you automatically have a tab when you go to a pub, we don't have that in Britain, so a few hours later, we went to settle up our bill, only to be told by the waiter that 'Old Paul' had Paid it for us. Lovely old fella he was.
*stunned*

Not something you would ever think likely to happen in this day and age; testament to a change in how the younger generations live/think now...
11/11/2018 10:50Posted by Jansen
Anyone else? Before this post gets deleted.

Why would you think this post would get deleted? Are you one of those paranoid nationalist loons who think the whole world is trying to !@#$ on everything you love?

11/11/2018 14:44Posted by Draebet
inb4 Funeral raid 2.0

oh god could you imagine
11/11/2018 15:05Posted by Eighjan
*stunned*Not something you would ever think likely to happen in this day and age; testament to a change in how the younger generations live/think now...

Was a lovely bar as well, 'Alex's on Friesenveirtel, just looked it up for a nostalgia hit only to find that it has since closed. Sad times.

In fairness this was 15 years ago, and even then the young people when I explained it thought it was a lovely thing. ( I say the Young people, I was only 29 myself! But you know what I mean) But yeah, he was a proper old Gent, that Paul. I say Was, he might still be alive, here's hoping, but he's be cracking on for 100 if he was. But yeah, I remember him saying (About the poppies) "We don't do that...But we Should"
As much as some of you will not want to think about this... but 100 years ago, many of you playing this game would likely have gone to a foreign country to be returned to your parents to be buried, if indeed any of you was left to be returned home.

That said, you would have been seen to have made the ultimate sacrifice for the freedom of those who lived on afterwards - much as many serving in the Armed Forces do, now.

This isn't preaching "they fought for you", it's more a think how lucky you are, today... that any fighting you do is only on a machine & has no RL repercussions for your immediate family/those around you... at least in the way it would have 100yrs ago.