New Resto Shaman Cooldown

Shaman
Prev 1 5 6 7
11/03/2011 3:37 AMPosted by Alhoon
For regular raiders, this would add more tools to beat harder encounters. Also anyone proceeding to heroics will soon notice that cooldowns are absolutely necessary for beating the encounters there. My guild is in a blocked out situation on 10mans since we have 3 regular healers for our off-raid days, 2 shamans and a paladin/priest. We can't really progress unless we either get some kind of tools to beat the encounters or one of us rerolls to other class.

That is correct, but that cannot be resolved with adding CDs to Shamans / Druids, CDs which work in a way that they can be combined with Spirit / Hand. The only way I could see that work is if any defensive CD put a 45s-60s cooldown on the target, but that could seriously screw over the tank's own timer-usage.

A better solution would be to "reduce" the timers of Priests/Paladins so they cannot be used on tanks well and then reduce the necessity of them.
Some info today on PRT from Elite Jerks:

I have a small update regarding the new Spirit Link Totem. I tested it a little bit on the PTR and when the totem reduces someone's health in the attempt of redistributing health it deals nature damage. Now the funny thing is that this nature damage can be mitigated by nature resistance, so the totem does more healing than damaging. This of course means that the totem has to readjust the health pools again even if no further damage was taken, so in fact the totem really restores HP (healing part is greater than damaging part).

see also the picture on the site (post 333) for the combatlog:
http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t110263-resto_cataclysm_raiding_discussion/p14/

The situation of the log:
One person on very low HP (1) and one on full HP (2).

First few hits look like this:
(1) gets healed for 51017
(2) gets damaged for 15305 nature (35712 resisted)
(1) gets healed for 16547
(2) gets damaged for 6620 nature (9929 resisted)
etc.

11/03/2011 3:37 AMPosted by Alhoon
To give couple of examples, Feud on Chimaeron HC. Tank has to be either topped off very quickly (while healing the raid heavily simultaneously) or some sort of cooldown has to be used. Other situation that comes into mind is Malorial HC with red phase. Both of these favor GS very highly, while totem would be utterly useless in both of them.

On Chimaeron, tank cd's being available for feud are far more vital to the raids success than what healing cd's are. Ocassionaly one of our healers will ask for LoH to be used but any kind off paladin can use this.

Maloriak HC, on red phase the only time a cd needs to be used is when tank gets the debuff and has already used his cd's. Our raid's healing cd's tend to go on the 2 off tanks at the start of green phase when adds get grouped and buff each other. Come 4.1 we will be able to pop spirit link instead of using a PS and a GS, saving 2 cd's to be popped when we really need them.

If you start to look for the strengths of this totem instead of the shortcomings, you will find it has the potential to be a lot stronger than what you might think.
To be fair tbh would least expect a minor glyph for this totem to increase its range by 5 yards.

another change that defiantly would be usefull is keeping it as totem but making it cast able like healing rain.

this would make the spell much better as you can carefully aim the totem perfect spot to effect the area you want it to effect.

considering the green target aura on ground would be just as big as the area it effects.

that would be great actualy.

for rest they should perhaps tone the totem down it gets to strong i think if can link up 5+ players.

i dont known if this is balanced compared to other cooldowns.
but its defiantly really strong the more it link up with while being crap if does't link up as many players.
I like the sound of it a lot, sounds like it's going to be useful without being an "oh %%!%" moment button, but more of a prevention button, say you know the tank is about to take a massive spike, whack it down jobs a good'un.

Though in a pack of meele/ranged dps I'm not sure how it will work that well, as in theory everyone is taking the same amount of damage (though if say mages iceblock it, or paladins bubble it assuming they can still do that, you will get a bit of a increase on everyone else) but 10% reduction is 10% reduction at the end of the day so I guess still pretty good.
First few hits look like this:
(1) gets healed for 51017
(2) gets damaged for 15305 nature (35712 resisted)
(1) gets healed for 16547
(2) gets damaged for 6620 nature (9929 resisted)
etc.

Ahahahaahahahahahaha.

I foresee that the damage will be unmitigateable, otherwise damn that's awesome. Combine it with Disc-shields or resist buffs for a ton of avoided damage. :D
I don't understand why they've implemented the rebalancing as healing and damage... when a tank uses an hp increasing cooldown, the extra health granted isn't considered a heal, nor is it considered damage when it's lost. Unless I'm way off.
12/03/2011 8:16 AMPosted by Exiasee
I don't understand why they've implemented the rebalancing as healing and damage... when a tank uses an hp increasing cooldown, the extra health granted isn't considered a heal, nor is it considered damage when it's lost. Unless I'm way off.

No you're right, it isn't.
The only reason I could see is because they want this specific behaviour to be "exploitable" with other class-mechanics to shield from the balance-damage but still reap the balance-healing.

The only reason I could see is because they want this specific behaviour to be "exploitable" with other class-mechanics to shield from the balance-damage but still reap the balance-healing

With 100% of resto shamans bringing nature resistance to the table, it sounds too good to be true.

Maybe the reason is more technical? Maybe they need to "account" for every losses and gains of health, and the only way they could do that is by counting the balancing as "damage and heals". The resist thing seems a bit wierd, however.

If it stays that way, will my dps done on the raid be visible on recount?! :-)
I personally don't think that it being an air totem is that much of a loss; combine it with Elemental Resist (until that's deemed OP) for nature mitigation, throw a healing rain down for good measure, and like has been said before, pretty much a god-mode like ability. Shame we lose the 5% spell haste though - an extra tick or two of HR would be tasty.

12/03/2011 9:51 AMPosted by Carrigan
The only reason I could see is because they want this specific behaviour to be "exploitable" with other class-mechanics to shield from the balance-damage but still reap the balance-healing.

I would offer the suggestion that SLT may be changed to discount temporary health increasing effects, much like how MTT has been changed. It's not really an exploit if it's "working as intended"... ;-)

14/03/2011 7:32 AMPosted by Grigio
With 100% of resto shamans bringing nature resistance to the table, it sounds too good to be true.

Not just resto - an elemental or enhancement could drop that totem too, allowing the resto to keep mana spring out, or dropping MTT in a relatively less pressured situation (not that dropping SLT implies you're not in a pressured situation...)

14/03/2011 7:32 AMPosted by Grigio
If it stays that way, will my dps done on the raid be visible on recount?! :-)

It better do, I need my 1% total damage done - and if it comes at the expense of 'friendly fire' (which is where the stats would be, I assume) then so be it! :D It can be the new benchmark for shaman: "How much friendly damage can I do in this encounter?"

Well, having it as damage and healing will take us closer to other healers in healing meters, even though no actual healing is being done, except the bug with mitigated damage. Since Blizzard already monitors our performance via stateofdps and similar, they'll see shamans performing better than we actually are. Little self deception goes a long way.

Please fix it to directly remove and add health instead of how it currently works, it's horrendous.
Forgive my ignorance, but why would Blizzard consider the stats given by a website that relies on user submission from another site, given that (I would assume/hope) Blizzard has access to the raw data, both from PTR and live? I'm not suggesting that they don't, but it does strike me as odd.
Whether they use 3rd party tools or the tools of their own doesn't really matter, the combat log shows it as healing so it will fake the healing done overall.
I agree, 10 yards, wow thats short range if you are a healer that needs to use it when a tank is about to die, then you really most run into the fight to put it down, if its gonna have its effect on the tank.
Under that time the tank will be died and you wipe.

Give it atleast 30yards or 40yards for shaman healer.
Hmm FINALLY A CD!!! wow really amazing, maybe everyone would feel like taking a resto shaman to the raids more huh? really cool ability! i like how they decided to add this really... very nice like a second nature's swiftness kinda doesn't hafto save a whole 25 man raid, its enough when you could manage to save one person with this really... ty blizzard <3
I don't think a lot of people in this threat realize the strength of this totem. It will be gamebreaking! You might need to get used to it, and guilds in particular, but once they do this is something to plan out, anounce on raid, practice stacking on etc.

Thing is, you can make everyone immortal for 6 seconds unless it happens to be put in the fire or something. In some encounters, this can be inmensely useful. Not in the last place because it will save your healers some precious mana they would otherwise have to spend on the inefficient heals.

Guilds will bring at least 3 resto shamans to a 25man now, and that will give you this ability once every minute or so. They will anounce it on vent and it will be used as a boss mechanic. It will be used by the guild that gets the next big world first, and then it will be nerfed. Mark my words:)