About the new Brazilian servers

General
1 2 3 5 Next
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=3170334

I am not sure were I am suppose to post this, if it is not here hope you don't mind.

First of all they don't speak Brazilian Portuguese they just speak Portuguese, the Brazilian Portuguese or Portuguese Portuguese are just stuff that came out of the internet from Pirates that wanted subtitles from their regions or wanted to download films were the audio was in Portuguese and they wanted the audio from their regions.

Its the same way has you don't say Mexican Spanish or Argentine Spanish, Porto Rico Spanish, etc.

OT so you guys are opening Brazilian realms for Portuguese Speaking community, What about the guys in Europe? There is allot of Portuguese ppl playing the game, there are allot of them in the French realms since there is over 2M emigrants there, and in the English servers Grimbatol has the biggest Portuguese community over 80% of the realm (you can just see top guilds) Burning Steppes is the same thing all top guilds are Portuguese, Most of then are players from Grimbatol that migrated when the free migration came 1 week before WOTLK, I know that 2 years ago Frostmane had a Big Portuguese community dunno about now.

Long Story short will we be able to play from Europe in the Brazilian servers? It's not like we are going to migrate there because of lag but just wanted to know if we have an option.
Will this be the 1st step for a Portuguese Realm in Europe? We just need one to get it full and with all the top guilds we have it is going to be fun for Realm Firsts :)

And with us gone from Grimbatol all the QQs can now rest.
I have a different question but along the same line of thought, so I will write it here instead of creating a new thread. Hope you don't mind.

Brazilian servers were announced, a PT-BR language pack too, but i wonder if a Portuguese speaking player can use that language pack with the European version of WoW. I mean, as long as theres no PT-PT translation of the game, PT-BR is perfect for any Portuguese player to use (translation criticisms aside), but can we use it on EU servers?
Even though I don't think that I'll ever use it, i would be pleased to know if I have that option.
Eithne said it all, since this morning me and my guildies are awfull mad of seing that Brazilian Portuguese Monstrocity... wth is that? A MultiMilion company doesnt have a employee capable enough of knowing how not to instult, lets say, 30k portuguese players?

I know you guys like to use the American-English or British-English. But in Portugal we speak Portuguese, in Bazil they speak Portuguese, and in other several countries they also speak Portuguese. So get your facts right.

The translation they made of most iv seen in pics is awfull, its same think to start calling the actors Jamie J Fox - Jaime J Raposa or Tom Cruise - Tomás Cruseiro... idiotic realy

Loose the love of some dolars and recruit a portuguese translation company, they can even be Brazilians as long they know how to translate it right.

I Play the game for years now, love the comunity and devs, but somone rly fkd up big time on this one, and I would love a official "I m sorry".

Frostmane has a huge Portuguese company as well, not as big as Grim PT Batol though.
Thank for the support, ideal was to have a huge number of portuguese people posting here to see if we have a change (even if it like ash of allar % drop almost 5 years and still no drop :P) to get blizz to open a server for us but no one reads official forums, everyone just read MMO-Champion XD

Positron, I am like you, I would not use the package but it would be a good deal of some players that don't understand English so well to have an easy time in the game :)
I hate to bring this down to you fellow comrades, but nobody cares about Portugal outside of planet Ronaldo. Not enough people play this game for them to care.

There seems to be an ongoing trend in this country (not just with games), that we as a nation are entitled to things. This is small country, do you honestly think you can fight the "Brazilian-Portuguese" misconception? Brazil is going to bring hundreds of thousands of subscribers, Portugal never will. We are entitled to nothing.

Mind you, I'd much rather play in a game with a city called Stormwind, Ventobravo is too much for me. Stuff like that should never be translated. It just doesn't make sense in this language. On the other hand, Brazil has a problem with education and getting people to learn English, so yeah, it might help them over there, I don't know. Most of them probably prefer Ventobravo (lol).
Yea capital cities translation was also what made me go "wtfemo"

I understand what you are saying Cudab, but as we have to follow their rules, they should follow the same rules, you dont create something out of nothing and start saying its real just because they will make you win more money.

I know many do that, but Blizzard shouldnt, cause with 11M players paying €13 a month you realy dont need to go fake do you?
Yea capital cities translation was also what made me go "wtfemo"

I understand what you are saying Cudab, but as we have to follow their rules, they should follow the same rules, you dont create something out of nothing and start saying its real just because they will make you win more money.

I know many do that, but Blizzard shouldnt, cause with 11M players paying €13 a month you realy dont need to go fake do you?

Unlike you, I believe in Brazilian-Portuguese. Not on a personal level, hell, I find their Portuguese just a cheap version of ours, original and correct, Portuguese. I think Brazils problems with education in the past, the poverty the country suffered with, the hatred for colonizers... I think all of these factors built this cheaper and butchered dialect they are so proud of.

But I do believe it as a fact, it's very much well documented and accepted as a fact, Brazilian-Portuguese does exist. It's not something we can just deny because of our hurt pride, let me remind you that just a few months ago, our own dictionaries had to be remade in favor of the rules the Brazilian built over the years. We taught them how to speak, and now they are teaching us. A low blow, but a fact indeed.

Just pick a book written in Brazil, granted you can understand most things, but the way it's written follows patterns unknown to us. Speaking is even more different.
Don't take me wrong Cudab and Wildthing, i agree with you on almost everything you said but lets not make this into a "bad translation" topic. You see, so far we're writing in English on this thread and that just proves we feel comfortable with it, but I know (and I bet you do too) many players who will see their game-play improved just by playing the game with their main language (or something close to it). It's a fact: not all Portuguese players know how to speak/read English. Many just know how to play because they have a friend who taught them or simply faceroll the keyboard and it turns out well (ahah!).
The bottom line is: though it is a PT-BR translation with some arguable mistakes, many Portuguese players wouldn't mind to play it that way. So, can we (portuguese players) move to Brazilian servers? And can we use PT-BR language pack even though playing on european servers (EU version of the game)?

P.S.: Cudab and Wildthing, your opinions are very well intended i know; i just think that will lead to another "argumentative battle" that should really be made but not in this thread because i'm not sure if that was the intention of Eithne's first post. Cumps to everyone!
as i've mentioned in other topic, the main things we want to know is :

- can we use the language pack in EU servers
- are we going to have some PT servers in EU ? (could be great for Portuguese guilds to recruit new members, or see who's really good, and ofc, to have some Portuguese GM to nuke troling or to help with our tickets)

or ...

we can make what germans did ...

lets all start to only talk Portuguese in forums, tickets, trade chats, etc ... maybe they notice we are here ! (it is only a joke, ofc ... DO NOT DO IT)
That isn't right...
Brazilians, when translate, they translate EVERYTHING!

They translate everything BECAUSE they are dumb. Why i say that?? Well i work in a hotel and i deal with them every single day.

They when speak with a portuguese, they simple don't understand it's incredible, and every time they speak is like they are killing the portuguese language. Maybe english ppl feel the same to americans dunno

22/07/2011 12:14Posted by Lúthienn
And what Fainne said it's right : "I imagine question 5 simply comes down to economies of scale. 10.5 million Portuguese versus 190 million Brazilians. "

Do you know that there are more portuguese in the worl that in portugal.

And if portuguese is the 5 most talk around the world, not the portuguese brazilian, its a global portuguese and that includes portugal, angola, moçanbique, macau, brasil. Them are ppl around the world in england, USA, venezuela,suiça, luxanburgo, alemanha, frança, india, africa do sul, australia... and must more i dont know.

2 fun facts.

1-There are more Portuguese spread around the world that any other country
2- Brazilian only emigrate to portugal
Make BR-Pt language is a insult. im a portuguese and i will never go to a server BR-PT, you doing that is like killing the portuguese language.

2 fun facts.

1-There are more Portuguese spread around the world that any other country except for china
2- Brazilian only emigrate to portugal

There fixed for you :) unless you are talking about % of ppl that live outside the country if that was What you intended to say then sorry about it :)

This is by no means language war, I just expressed how I felt about the mistake they did.

The Goal is to give EU the package or get them to make a PT-PT not BR-PT package but the BR-PT is better then anything.
Like I said Its not like I am going to use it I would feel really stupid If I went to Silvermoon and the city is called Lua de Prata but like Pistron said there are allot of players that would benefit from it.

My 2nd goal and the less likely to append its to get a PT-PT server just one (I know that 1 isn't enough but has we get it full more and more servers would open)
The potencial for this pack is HUGE i cant wait to have it running while giving away items to all the folks and linking away stuff like [Calças de Cabedal do Macaco] (Leather Pants of the Monkey) or abilities like Rajada Uivante (Howling Blast) or Stormstrike (Golpe Bravo because of the Stormwind = Ventobravo translation which in fact translated again to english is more like Bravewind then Stormwind but then again who cares if i get a laugh out of it =P)

There's just stuff you dont translate nomenclatures is just one of them. Just try it yourself translate your own name into spanish/portuguese/english and play around with it and see if you like the way it sounds or what it might mean in another language =P

Ps.: I mean its like ... talking with a girl about these huge juicy melons you ate the other day ... there's just stuff you dont do. :D
As a native and normative (Lisbon) Portuguese speaker, I'm quite glad that there is a distinction. The dialects differ a lot, even in grammar.

Regarding the language packs, I only have the option to download US and LA packs (using the US client for both regions), so I'm guessing that none of the US client's language packs will be available to anyone using the EU client.
Im portuguese and i play in burning blade. and there is also this huge portuguese community. But i dont want to change to a brazillian or portuguese server. Period, i love the game in english and when i think how would it be in portuguese language i just dont like the ideia. So i dont want people from portugal to be forced to be playing a server in portuguese.
23/07/2011 23:05Posted by Moniztico
Im portuguese and i play in burning blade. and there is also this huge portuguese community. But i dont want to change to a brazillian or portuguese server. Period, i love the game in english and when i think how would it be in portuguese language i just dont like the ideia. So i dont want people from portugal to be forced to be playing a server in portuguese.

QFT

I also nearly fell off my chair when Allene said they were from the same city as me and i didn't know about it all this time.
Lets put this in a bit of wow perspective.

Portuguese (Portugal, iberian peninsula, europe) = High Elves

Brazil Portuguese (Brasil (Brazil, South America) = Blood Elves

Same origin....2 different cultures/people/language.

No one said you had to change server, there are allot of Spanish, French and German guys playing in English servers.

OT you guys are Starting a Language war and this is not the GOAL of this thread, please keep constructive feedback I don't want this to get locked :X

Anyway good night just finishing watching a SCII tournament going to bed, good luck have fun.
22/07/2011 09:17Posted by Eithne
First of all they don't speak Brazilian Portuguese they just speak Portuguese, the Brazilian Portuguese or Portuguese Portuguese are just stuff that came out of the internet from Pirates that wanted subtitles from their regions or wanted to download films were the audio was in Portuguese and they wanted the audio from their regions.

There are loads of differences between brasilian portugue and portuguese, it nothing about pirates or whatever you may think about.

Don't talk of what you don't know.

And it's not that new stupid orthographic agreement that will change that

Long Story short will we be able to play from Europe in the Brazilian servers? It's not like we are going to migrate there because of lag but just wanted to know if we have an option.
Will this be the 1st step for a Portuguese Realm in Europe? We just need one to get it full and with all the top guilds we have it is going to be fun for Realm Firsts :)

Brasilian Servers would be most likely considered America side so don't count on having access to them.

And Portuguese Realms in Europe would need Portuguese language of Portugal, and brasilian portuguese is not it.
And I should know, done several translation works a couple years ago and even if I wanted to use already done stuff from brasilian translations it would end up bad since the words can be equal but the meaning and its construction is different in many ways.

Same. Unlike other countries we don't change stuff like movies and put them in our language, we just use subtitles so we are pretty much comfortable with english stuff
23/07/2011 12:47Posted by Eithne
The Goal is to give EU the package or get them to make a PT-PT not BR-PT package but the BR-PT is better then anything.

Trust me, nothing is better than having a Br-Pt language pack on this side.
If it happens it will only ruin even more our language and that stupid orthographic agreement is helping with that >_<

And this is a fact (facto), not a suit (fato)