Gems

Professions
If they don't release epic gems in 4.3 i will be mad
Protip: they won't.

Sometime mid 4.3, maybe, as an indirect nerf to the content. But not at the start.
i mad
I like the balance of gems in cata as it is. Epics will upset the applecart. I hope we dont get them but I'll be saving my tokens just in case we do.
What's "the balance of gems"? The arrangements you have with other sellers? :)

I don't doubt that epic gems will come, just like they did in TBC and LK. That system had worked pretty well and it gives people "something to do", which this game badly needs, especially with ToR on the horizon. Spending money on epic gems and then having to get the gold back (the average player seems to have 10k or so) is "something to do".

Personally, I'd of course love the opportunity to make some extra gold in the first few days, but above all I'd like to get rid of the pyrite that's occupying every empty bank and bag slot on my alts, including an alt bank. If they said "no, no epic gems", that would work too since most of the pyrite was bought at 20g/stack, so it was only slightly more expensive than the elementium ore.
09/09/2011 09:42Posted by Tavo
I'd like to get rid of the pyrite that's occupying every empty bank and bag slot on my alts, including an alt bank.

Pro-tip: mailbox space costs 30c per stack per 60 days and you can put 12 stacks in single mail. That's 600 slots every 50 mails and if you do it with alt who doesn't really do any ah selling, you can use thousands of mails without any trouble.
08/09/2011 20:04Posted by Vóltaire
i mad

A more useful reply would contain details of why, in your opinion, epic gems should be added sooner, how it would benefit the game as a whole, the knock-on effect to progression, something like that. You being mad wouldn't be a solid reason I can pass on to the devs :(
09/09/2011 14:10Posted by Takralus
i mad

A more useful reply would contain details of why, in your opinion, epic gems should be added sooner, how it would benefit the game as a whole, the knock-on effect to progression, something like that. You being mad wouldn't be a solid reason I can pass on to the devs :(

Mister blue poster you have obviously chosen to reply to this thread regarding epic gems rather than any other simply because he doesn't give a reason, so you don't have to give a straight reply. So if you by any chance visit this thread again, I do have a question for you: Will we see epic gems in the Cataclysm expansion, ever? If not, why? Is it because it would give players a better advantage?
I have been going on the assumption that they would add them at some point but it does pose a question about the buffs associated with professions.

For example gathering professions at the moment give a buff which equates to 2 gems worth of stats (120 stam, or 80 to something else); tailing, enchanting and leather working all have similar effects which again give you the equivalent to 2 gems worth of stats.

If they add epic gems which have lets say 50 stats (more for stam obviously) then Blacksmithing for example would gain from the increased gem stats due to being able to socket bracers and gloves and would then give more stats than all other professions.

So would the bonuses from other professions be tweaked to put them on par?

(I am a blacksmith btw)

So would the bonuses from other professions be tweaked to put them on par?

That's what happened in WotLK. It's just a few parameters to increase, it's not a huge amount of work.
Ah.

The epic gem thing during wrath happened while I was away from the game; stopped playing before ICC and all that and only started back once Cataclysm was out so I missed that :)
From where I'm sitting an item's rarity reflects a combination of two factors: rarity and accessibility. Either it needs to be a very rare drop to be epic, or you have to complete a certain amount of content/faction/quests to gain access to it.

Whether or not gems should be epic, then, should be dictated not by our hunger for epics, but rather by how they're implemented in patch 4.3. I guess it boils down to a question: are you willing to sacrifice some armour to make way for gems in the new loot tables? Personally, my answer is a resounding no.
09/09/2011 14:47Posted by Lachtobi
I guess it boils down to a question: are you willing to sacrifice some armour to make way for gems in the new loot tables? Personally, my answer is a resounding no.

How do you figure that's what it boils down to? Not once in the history of this game have gems had shared loot list spots with armour or weapons. The most likely scenarios include prospecting, valour points or trash drops IMO.
i mad

Ok i'll give it a go.

Sofar Epic gems have been added before the final instance (MH veins in tbc, later mob drops in mh/bh, titanium prospecting in wotlk during the togc era), so bringing them out before the last (major) raid would fit the logic of the game sofar.

Since the deathwing raid is said to be the last major raid this expansion, it would make sence to add them before it.

Other then it folowing the previous logic, it would add more spice to the economy as it stands now. (miners will sell either gems or ore depending on how it gets added, blacksmith will sell more buckles then before the change, jewelcrafers will get to make more gems for everyones demands)

The impact however doesn't stop there, Since the value of a socket changed for everyone, enchants are likely to get changed aswell. (a previous hit ench would be changed with another stat boosting ench, the effective haste cap for spec X is now reached with fewer enchants in that direction= stuff gets changed) PVP gear will see some changes aswell, the spellpene needed probably can be reached without back enchant with the new gems, giving a new ench there, the effect of adding more resi declines @ some point, better resi gems would free up the ability to add a stamina or all stats ench on the chest.

Furthermore this would (indirectly) make the current (and past) contend easyer, allowing more ppl to see it and allow guilds currently struggeling to clear it on hc, to get that little boost required to get it done. Making this a good 2-3 weeks before 4.3 adition.
i mad

You just became my favorite blue poster. Very good reply. :)

On the topic, i woul say turn the blue gems into purple colored ones. It seems to be the only issue, the color. +10 stat on every slot would make little difference and would only skyrocket the price of the new gems due to their rarity and the need to farm them.

I'm good with the current gems.
New gems are required because currently there's no choice for gemming.

Primary statistics are so powerful compared to secondary stats that everybody use a +40 red gemme on every single slot.
Yep you may have one or two hybrid gem...

But yellow or blue gem are of no use. You may as well remove them from the game.

I suggest you had gem like for exemple
hybrid : +20 primary stat / +30 secondary stat
and
yellow / blue : +60 secondary stat

So we may have a real choice between gemming +40 int or 20 int / 30 mastery or 60 mastery for exemple to get the socket bonus.

Currently this choice doesn't exist due to the primary stat being so powerful.

(maybe even 30 or 60 wouldn't be enough and it should be 20/40 and 80)
Personally I'd rather they didn't introduce epic gems, there really is no need for them apart from JC profit and that will rise with the new patch anyway due to new gear, even if non-raiders are only buying the Valor gear that becomes JP gear.

What I'd like to see instead is Pyrite Ore prospect-able into all other volatiles rather than just Earth, just reduce gems to none or 1 instead of multiple.
i mad

<3
I kinda agree with Artose here, there have been a whole bunch of posts on this exact subject, and this one gets a blue comment because it's the worst one?

As darkscion points out, epic gems have been around for the entirety of the jewelcrafting profession, and since we already have uncommon ore in pyrite then most jewelcrafters strongly assume they'll show up in cata as well.

A blue poster asking us why we want them strikes me as weird. We expect them, much like enchanters expect enchants and tailors expect patterns. They're part of the profession.
If introducing Epic gems, along with the gear creep, means that we'll have to suffer a "Chill of the Throne" type effect for the Deathwing raid, don't bother adding them.