Transmogrification Rules

General
1 2 3 25 Next
Since we announced the transmogrification feature coming to World of Warcraft with patch 4.3, we have monitored thousands of follow-up comments, questions and suggestions from players all over the world.

What follows is our current list of rules for transmogrification. This is a set of rules that we expect to change over time, and is not intended to be 100% comprehensive, but we hope that it can be referenced to answer most questions that players currently have about what they can and cannot expect to be able to do with transmogrification.

• The character must be able to equip both items.

• Only uncommon (green), rare (blue) or epic (purple) items may be transmogrified. (exceptions: a select few of these items will be prevented from being used to transmogrify if they are inappropriate)

• Items must share the same armor type (examples: plate for plate, cloth for cloth)

• Weapons must be the same weapon type (exceptions: Guns, Crossbows, or Bows)

• Guns, Crossbows, and Bows can be used to transmogrify Guns, Crossbows, or Bows.

• Main hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Main hand weapons.

• Off-hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Off-hand weapons.

• One handed weapons can be used to transmogrify a Main hand or Off-hand weapon.

• Using an item for transmogrify makes it soulbound.

• Using an item for transmogrify makes it non-refundable.

• Using an item for transmogrify makes it non-tradable.

• Heirlooms and Account Bound items can be transmogrified.

• Heirlooms and Account Bound items can be used to transmogrify.

• Legendary items cannot be transmogrified.

• Legendary items cannot be used to transmogrify.

• Fishing Poles cannot be transmogrified.

• Fishing Poles cannot be used to transmogrify.

• Mailing an item strips its transmogrification.

• Placing an item in Void Storage strips its transmogrification.

• Vendoring an item strips its transmogrification.

• The displayed enchant will be that of the currently equipped item.

• There may be individual items that are excluded from being transmogrified on the basis that they were originally added to the game as absurdities. (examples: a weapon that looks like a fish, or a chest piece that is invisible)
I would be interested in knowing if we are able to transmo Wands?
As I have for example one of those, which I think is really cute, and I am looking forward to use it. But I have never read anything that we are able to transmo our (nasty..) looking wands?
Wand of Eternal Light
20/09/2011 13:58Posted by Takralus
Only uncommon (green), rare (blue) or epic (purple) items may be transmogrified. (exceptions: a select few of these items will be prevented from being used to transmogrify if they are inappropriate)

Oh Bugger.

Why not grey and white items? Not all of us want to skite about our accomplishments, many would prefer to be incognito in our Twill sets.

I guess most greys have a green or better item with the same model, a bit of research may be needed.
Is it possible to use the same item for two items for dual wields? So you do not need two of the same dagger to make your two equipped ones look the same.

In other words...Can you use one dagger model to transmogrify the two you have equipped?
I would be interested in knowing if we are able to transmo Wands?
As I have for example one of those, which I think is really cute, and I am looking forward to use it. But I have never read anything that we are able to transmo our (nasty..) looking wands?

As it currently stands, wands are eligible for Transmogrification just like the other weapons :)

20/09/2011 14:09Posted by Synamon
Can you use one dagger model to transmogrify the two you have equipped?

Yes, so long as it meets all the other requirements listed above.
I don't understand the apparent inconsistency with weapons.
I'll explain myself.

We'll be able to mog a gun into a bow and vice versa.
We'll not be able to mog a sword into an axe.

Why is that?
I'd understand if wow still used weapon skill points: one could get too much advantage mogging a type of weapon into another in which he has more points.
But that's no longer the case.

I've heard talking about racial benefits involved in letting the mog between bows/xbows/guns, but that should go also for axes/swords/maces.

The only technical differences are between 1-hand weapons vs 2-hand weapons and main hand vs off hand. Also it makes sense that you can only mog weapons you can actually use with your class. But there's not even an animation difference between using a main hand axe or a main hand sword.

If the weapon type restriction is removed, the mog feature can only gain: no mog from 1-hand to 2-hand, no mog from main-hand to off-hand and no mog in barred weapon classes. That's fair. But there is no point in barring a mog, say, from 1-handed axe into 1-handed mace or from a polearm into a 2-handed axe (there's a difference in animation stance in this particular case, but shouldn't be a problem).

This would fix an itemization problem, which is that there are classes capable of using certain weapons, but there is no weapon of that type fitting the class (example: paladins are able to use polearms, but since wotlk polearms are Agi only weapons, making them useless for paladins).

Could you clarify this for me? Thanks.
did wonder bout hierloom items coz they were items previously ingame ie the might set the staffs etc
Got a question about old TBC blacksmith specs:
Are you going to add some recipe for Lionheart Executioner, Mooncleaver, Stormherald ?
or that items are no longer available.
quite cool could bring back a few subscribers and this will get more people running old raids for those epic t1 - t4 stuff :)

Can you use one dagger model to transmogrify the two you have equipped?

Yes, so long as it meets all the other requirements listed above.

Thanks for clearing that up. I noticed my typo with equipped ;)
Hey, i would like to ask for exception, such as Guns/Bows/Crossbows, but in armor types.

As you can see, i am wearing atm Scarlet set, wich is meant to be Tanking set for Warr/Pala before they can wear Plate. So it is Mail armor type. In this case i cant use its skin for tramso, even its mean for my class..
So maybe you could allow us to use Mail with Strenght (pre 40 lvl) into Plates? :)

Could you please look on it :)
You still need to be in possession of the item (like netherwind crown) to make another item look like it, right?
Main hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Main hand weapons.

Off-hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Off-hand weapons.

I have a question about these; Claw of Molten Fury and Fist of Molten Fury. Since they got the exact same model, is it possible to use just one of them, to acquire the look of having two of them?
It would spare us the hard and painful trash farming and not at least time :)
i have nearly a full t6 set of enh gear from mh/bt (only missing gear from sunwell) from my old raiding days as enhancement. im now a resto. will i be able to transmo them to resto gear in the upcoming patch as all shammy tier gear since then has been awful imo. many thanks :)
20/09/2011 14:59Posted by Santoryu
You still need to be in possession of the item (like netherwind crown) to make another item look like it, right?

Correct.

I have a question about these; Claw of Molten Fury and Fist of Molten Fury. Since they got the exact same model, is it possible to use just one of them, to acquire the look of having two of them?

Sadly not, I think it was explained in a thread some few weeks ago. And alas, they're not the exact same model as they're reversed.
Why is Legendary "banned" from Transmogrification? As my friend pointed out to me, would be awesome to kill Deathwing wielding Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker
As much as I look forward to my old T5 looks I cant stop getting annoyed at:
* The displayed enchant will be that of the currently equipped item.

The one slot people like to most of all pick something they always wanted to for is the weapon slot.
At least casters use Power Torrent, en enchant with the most enormous visual model.

It absolutely engulf ones weapon so you cant really see the model of it.
Would love for a workaround for this, basically have to have a 2handed sword to have a large enough model to actually see the weapon under the annoying enchant.
Main hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Main hand weapons.

Off-hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Off-hand weapons.

It would spare us the hard and painful trash farming and not at least time :)

Weapons don't mirror themselves. Each one has it's own specific skin, so if you want that specific look you will have to farm both weapons.

Take Fury Warriors for instance who can wield Main Hand weapons on either hand. Were they to Trasmogrify two Main Hand weapons into Claw of Molten Fury they would look the same: in other words, they would have two "right" claws instead of one.
me and my guildies have a certain argument and i hope people will be able to clear it out.
i would like a clear explanation of the effect of transmog on enchants both on old and new items , some claim old item loses its enchant and some claim the new item loses its enchants so a clarification would be apreciated!