Possible to get banned for using a bot software in BGs?

Customer Support
I have been reporting bots in the BGs for a while, but never anyone on my server. Then I got the opportunity to report someone on my server (yay!). So I could check how long it took them to do something about it.

I reported(ticket) him/her in the morning and when I got back home in the evening I was a bit surprised to see that the bot was still running around in the BGs. (You would think that they would kick them or something at least)

Anyway it's now 10days later and the bot is still running around in the BGs (WTF?). So I sent a ticket about it, talked to a GM that said that I shouldn't report the same bot more than once.

Further more it was not really hard to detect that it was a bot as he did 40-50k in ruthless gear, followed the same path and used the same abilities. For example if the current target was killed, it would run back to a check point mount up and run to the next checkpoint. If no enemy was around it would just cycle through the different check points.

So has anyone actually been banned for using a bot software?
no, its not possible.

MMR exploit? nothing happens.
win trade? nothing happens
bot BGs? nothing happens.

bot archaeology?

mass perma-banning.
NO, using BoT software in BGs cant get you banned.
08/10/2011 16:38Posted by Abbót
no, its not possible.

08/10/2011 16:47Posted by Rachelroxx
NO, using BoT software in BGs cant get you banned.

Well, that's both false. It definitely can get you banned and people have been banned for it in the past.

However, and that's a very big however, Blizzard doesn't seem to be doing much about it. Bots in PvP definitely doesn't seem to be their priority and therefore reporting them is indeed a waste of time.

They do look into it when you report them, but they won't hand out bans unless they're 100% sure, and they usually aren't.

So to sum up:
Yes, you can definitely get banned for botting, but no, it doesn't happen often. Unfortunately......
It can, friend got perma banned, it's just unlikely
08/10/2011 17:17Posted by Tayen
It can, friend got perma banned, it's just unlikely

Ugh, summarised the entire story in 10 words while it took me 5 full sentences.

I really need to learn how to keep posts short ^^
I was beeing more sarcastic, geared up my shaman that dinged 85 on monday by solo queuing to BGs and played mainly at late evenings and nightitme till early morning and can safely say that in 10-15 man Bgs without lying that half of people on both sides are either AFK or bots. Every night.
08/10/2011 17:17Posted by Dalrian
PvP definitely doesn't seem to be their priority

fix'd
I have always believed that if Warden updates to catch the program you happen to be running, you'll be perma-banned... but if you get reported and a GM deals with it, it's upto them and will likely be a light punishment if any.
Apparently blizz uses bots to fill up some spaces. It MUST be their own bots or else it would be very very silly to do absolutely NOTHING about it.

Would be nice if blizz gave them some easy to recognize names, like:

[bot] the builder,

[bot]tom line,

femme[bot],

[bot]tle neck,

and [bot] damn it do something about it please.

To all the people using bots: some improved AI would be nice so we actually got something to fight against. I thought I'd better ask you guys as no bans will ever happen.

08/10/2011 18:39Posted by Nemak
I have always believed that if Warden updates to catch the program you happen to be running, you'll be perma-banned... but if you get reported and a GM deals with it, it's upto them and will likely be a light punishment if any.

Seems like warden isn't catching much then. Unless it's really slow and takes 10+ days to figure out if it's a bot.
It doesn't work like that, it doesn't monitor how the character interacts, it reads the process users are running, much like Punkbuster for other games.

I'd blame GMs for the lack of effort in dealing with those reported, but I expect it's staff above them giving orders and thinking more about money income then fair play.

I expect you'll see some anti-botting action being done either just before or just after the next expansion, ya'know, as a 'See, we do care!' thing.
Most bots are banned in big waves which occurs a few times per year. I wouldn't guess more than 2 or 3.
back in TBC i reported loads of bots and during one session with with a GM-chat he stated that in their last "ban-hammer" they got rid of 825.000 accounts.
just how often they have these cleanouts was'nt said. nor have i any idea if it was true.
But now, it is futile to report. because you just keep seeing them game after game.
got a few suggestions, Blizzard feel freeto credit me for them if you choose to implement them!

1: have a small team of GM's that join a random bg. they can ask in bg chat if there are any suspected bots. They can then port to said character, observe him and then give him a 3 hour ban, if gm strongly suspect bottism :)
Everyone doing bg on a regular basis can spot a bot in less than a minute and take another 1 min to be absolutely be sure.
2: If they get cought like this several times, lock all access to arena/battlegrounds for that account. could be for a day, week, 14 days or a month
Just a suggestion blizzard: You take 3 months to investigate bots, players can spot them in 2 minutes.....
I say: Time to ask players, cut down time on bot-hunting
Seriously !@#$ blizzard for allowing multiboxing aswell. They don't even recognize it as cheating. On my server (Lightbringer) a horde multiboxer dominates Tol Barad. The entire alliance faction gets extremely frustrated when we lose yet another game because of him. Creating a ticket won't help either. A GM will tell you how multiboxing is no form of botting because all the characters are still controlled by a person. Also he'll advice you to create posts on the forums rather then wasting time writing in-game tickets. Apparently Blizzard employees with a bigger influence check out these forums once in a while. So here I am begging Blizzard for a fair game. But I'm sure they still won't give a %^-*. After all money is money, no matter how it's earned. Isn't that right Blizz?
08/10/2011 17:21Posted by Dalrian
I really need to learn how to keep posts short ^^

*thumb up*
09/10/2011 17:00Posted by Amani
After all money is money, no matter how it's earned. Isn't that right Blizz?

How much money do you think Blizzard earns each month from multiboxers alone? Do you think it will be enough to fund the salary of a single Blizzard employee?

Because I seriously doubt it.
Well if that isn't the reason, I'm very curious what is.
09/10/2011 18:07Posted by Amani
Well if that isn't the reason, I'm very curious what is.

Simple: why would they disallow it?

Multiboxing doesn't hurt anyone. At best it hurts your own team because it will have 5 identical classes in a BG, but having a multiboxer in your team is not an advantage and therefore there's no reason to take away the fun some people can have by multiboxing.

Sure, the amount of people enjoying it is small but as long as there's no reason to disallow it, then why would they?

It doesn't go against any of their other policies either.