Guild website.

General
This idea has probably been brought up a few times.
But if not here goes;

A lot of guilds want a website for there guild with a forum to discuss things like raids, plans , rules etc.

i know there are a lot of websites out there offering this service but none has the options Blizzard has. and ofcourse this site has this and that site doesnt while blizzard could take all ideas from players on one forum and create the perfect guild hosting website !

imo best would even be some kind of forum ingame. and a ingame armory link.

i know you guys are probably verry bussy with all the work on patch and pandaria but might be nice if you could trow it on a pile of ideas to consider for 5.1 or 5.2

well thats it thanks for reading !

Why would it be needed, though? Like you said, there are a lot of websites which offer this service already. Other people can build their own. You can even make a proboards forum and call it your guild's website.
the key reason. money !
and well the offer most have. not one is really complete imo and i think blizzard is the only that can make a good working one with allt he features needed.
and bringing these things ingame would be imba.
I like the idea. However, there are some problems to consider.

Getting a system like this in place would actually require a lot of development time. Although Blizzard already has a system for developing forums, it will still take an enormous amount of manpower and money for Blizzard to integrate it into services such as that which is offered by Guildlaunch, Wowstead, etc as well as bloggings, shoutboxes, and so on and so forth. This is speaking from the point of view of an enthusiastic IT student with dynamic web development as part of the degree he is studying for.

29/10/2011 14:38Posted by Dracota
the key reason. money !

There are more than enough people offering this service already. It may thus be detrimental to Blizzard's profits if they intend to join in on the bandwagon and maintain such a service. Plus, these other guys have matured their services over a span of years and they'll thus most likely offer all kinds of other features that would compete against Blizzard's which may be more attractive for their potential users.

So yes, as much as I think this is a fantastic idea, I don't think its very practical in a business sense.

29/10/2011 14:38Posted by Dracota
the key reason. money !

There are more than enough people offering this service already. It may thus be detrimental to Blizzard's profits if they intend to join in on the bandwagon and maintain such a service. Plus, these other guys have matured their services over a span of years and they'll thus most likely offer all kinds of other services that would compete against Blizzard's which may be more attractive for their potential users.

So yes, as much as I think this is a fantastic idea, I don't think its very practical.

maybe not but well it poped into my head and never hurts to trow it on the forums and see what blizz thinks of it. maybe they even thought about but just need a lill push "pushes"

and in the past we used to rely on websites like allakhazam and ... forgot the names !

annyways since the armory came, lots of the services they offerd also became uneaded.
simply because blizzard can do it better since they can reprogram what is needed for it.
even though they joined in on the "bandwagon".

29/10/2011 15:01Posted by Dracota
maybe not but well it poped into my head and never hurts to trow it on the forums and see what blizz thinks of it. maybe they even thought about but just need a lill push "pushes"
Well, indeed. Its always encouraged that people present their good ideas on the forums. And its always encouraged that other players give out their point of views over the matter, even if they might be wrong, so long as its constructive.

This is a fantastic idea, please don't get me wrong. I was merely presenting possible problems with it. If Blizzard chooses to go ahead with this, then I'd certainly not dispute it! :-)
All tho i know i made a necro post here i simply want to express my idea also. We already have an in-game Guild "Sort" Recruitment Tool. It would be a very nice touch to simply develop a small part of the armory to grant "applications" to the guilds. It could simply be connected to the in-game tool. You can access this feature only with active subscription. In this way guild leaders can see directly in-game the achievements of character/account, item level, and more. Blizzard slowly is developing Add-ons and features to prevent us from using 3rd party software or websites.

P.S. I think that this should be taken in consideration.

Thanks for reading :)
Suggestions are best made in-game.
to ne honest what the armory needs is a guild calendar management tool. You can see stuff but the in game ui is a pain in the posterior to manage from the game ui itself
This idea has probably been brought up a few times.
But if not here goes;

A lot of guilds want a website for there guild with a forum to discuss things like raids, plans , rules etc.

i know there are a lot of websites out there offering this service but none has the options Blizzard has. and ofcourse this site has this and that site doesnt while blizzard could take all ideas from players on one forum and create the perfect guild hosting website !

imo best would even be some kind of forum ingame. and a ingame armory link.

i know you guys are probably verry bussy with all the work on patch and pandaria but might be nice if you could trow it on a pile of ideas to consider for 5.1 or 5.2

well thats it thanks for reading !

This thing you suggest has been proven to work and to be very easy in competition MMOs, but it is not very flashy to put on next expansion marketing advertisement, therefore... won't happen. Blizzard, like any other company, is focused on making money, and they will not put effort into something that won't, well, make money.
Suggestions are best made in-game.

Not if they're up for debate.

This forum would be pretty dull if no one ever mentioned an idea they had.

I think anything that stops you having to, repeatedly, leave the game window while playing and search the internet is a good idea, as is reducing the number of addons needed to play and consolidating and refining all the ideas from various different sources (assuming you don't just steal those ideas!).

I realise Blizz wouldn't make any money from it directly, but it's the type of thing that would improve their product as a whole.
And again why? For the cost of a subscription and entire guild have have a professionally hosted, managed and installed guild website and forum.
Personally I don't think this is something blizz need to offer. It could better invest the resources elsewhere.
Personally I don't think this is something blizz need to offer. It could better invest the resources elsewhere.

I agree. There's simply too many of these kinds of site builders to justify Blizzard pouring resources into them, as well as the manpower required to maintain them on a daily basis and fix all the problems associated with each individual guild site (or guild page, if it's a single site, I don't know). I love making guild sites and learning new things through trial and error, but that's the great thing about them: they're optional, and most guilds don't need a site, whereas if Blizzard were to introduce their own version of Guildlaunch, players would likely feel that they have to make a site or reveal information about their characters they don't want to, etc.

Even though this thread has been necro'd, the idea is still worth considering.
30/12/2013 19:09Posted by Johni

I agree. There's simply too many of these kinds of site builders to justify Blizzard pouring resources into them, as well as the manpower required to maintain them on a daily basis and fix all the problems associated with each individual guild site (or guild page, if it's a single site, I don't know). I love making guild sites and learning new things through trial and error, but that's the great thing about them: they're optional, and most guilds don't need a site, whereas if Blizzard were to introduce their own version of Guildlaunch, players would likely feel that they have to make a site or reveal information about their characters they don't want to, etc.

Even though this thread has been necro'd, the idea is still worth considering.

There is close to 0 manpower cost. All it takes is creating a forum cattegory accessible only to people in the guild, with no moderation needed (as the guild will policy itself). It is trivial. Only difference would be slightly bigger forum database, wich is not hard at all, it's just text, nothing complicated.