Why do we have to pay real money for pets/mounts?

General
I was thinking I want to have all the pets which are available from the blizzard pet store, because they are much better than the ones in the game, however i don't want to pay for them with money.

I would be happy to purchase the pets with in game gold.

I think blizzard should introduce a system where you have the choice to buy the items with either money or gold.

NEGATIVES

If blizzard introduces this system the profit and turnover will most likely decrease, so they most probably wont introduce this system.

POSITIVES

People who have excess gold has something else to spend it on.

It would make access to these pets more available for everyone who plays wow.

The gold sellers who are selling the pets for in game gold, would be stopped dead!
(i don't want to encourage gold sellers, they hack accounts which is not nice!)

Anyway in conclusion

Blizzard please stop taking our money at every occasion, not everyone can afford it.
Be nice to us after all we are your customers, star wars is coming out you want to keep everyone happy.
End of the day everyone is in different financial situations, as a student i don't have much disposable income YET, so be nice blizz make your pet store a bit more friendly, and don't be so money hungry.

If blizzard introduces this system the profit and turnover will most likely decrease, so they most probably wont introduce this system.

This is why they will never do it.
They already did introduce this system with the Guardian Cub pet, and it will more than likely be used for future pet and mount releases as well.
You don't HAVE to pay for them, but if you want them ofcourse you do, but they are not required by any means.
What do you mean you have to pay money for them? It's not as if you actually need the pets for any quest or something. Don't buy them if you don't think it's worth the money. I know I never will.
Why do we have to pay real money for pets/mounts?

You dont have to.

Also, real money payments for pets/mounts is just a way the company earns money, i don't mind it. If you want to buy them, do so. If you dont, don't.
12/12/2011 09:41Posted by Aithilec
You dont have to.

This essentially answers the original question.

Pets and mounts are entirely cosmetic, they don't give you any in-game benefit or edge over others, therefore they're not needed, and the statement that they're "much better" than the ones in the game is completely subjective.

There are some rare pets and mounts in the game that are only obtainable from certain quests or encounters. If you prefer collecting things through the game, you could focus on getting all of those :-)

Pets and mounts are entirely cosmetic, they don't give you any in-game benefit or edge over others, therefore they're not needed, and the statement that they're "much better" than the ones in the game is completely subjective.

This nails it. I've got a pretty huge collection of pets and mounts, none of the real money ones bar Mini.Kel have even made me consider buying them, they're by no means essential and you'll struggle to find people who agree on them being "much better".
I bought the Winged Guardian because it binds to all characters, and doubles as a ground mount. Plus I think it looks awesome. If you don't like paying for it don't buy it.
Did it ever cross your mind that having an option to buy them with in-game gold would promote buying that gold from scamming-gold-selling websites?
I know that the question has already been answered, but I would like to make you think of it this way.

You are paying to play World of Warcraft because you like it, not because you HAVE to pay for it.

Same goes for in-game companions/mounts. You pay for them because you like it, not because you HAVE to pay for it.
Question - Why do we have to pay real money for pets/mounts?

Answer - Because Blizzard would like to make some extra money, someone has to pay all those salaries

Question - If you found an easy and legal way of making money either real or virtual in game would you willingly stop doing it?

Answer - No

I trust that answers your question about money and pets Boredpala

Sometimes life is just so taxing answering all these questions on WoWs forum, however I must steel myself to soldier on, spreading little rays of sunshine and enlightenment in those who are monetarily challenged comprehending business and fungible gains

Answer - Because Blizzard would like to make some extra money, someone has to pay all those salaries

10 million people x £8.99 per month
You dont have to.
Dear Metallica, why are you making me pay for this T-shirt? I paid to watch your show, I should be able to get the T-shirt by paying with the notes you played.

NEGATIVES If Metallica introduces this system the profit and turnover will most likely decrease, so they most probably won't introduce this system.

POSITIVES It would make access to these T-shirts more available for everyone who listens to Metallica

Anyway in conclusion
Metallica please stop taking our money at every occasion, not everyone can afford it.Be nice to us after all we are your customers, Biffy Clyro is coming out you want to keep everyone happy.
[quote="30615179953"]

Pets and mounts are entirely cosmetic,

Not true, you can sell at least one pet for gold giving you an advantage
I remember feeling outraged about for paying for the Tyraels charger mount, Core hound Pup, Onyxian Whelpling, Baby Blizzard Bear and Mr Chilly, oh wait......

anyway if you don't want to pay there are many others you can collect ingame that are free.

Edit: you even get pets for collecting pets and mounts for collecting mounts.
12/12/2011 14:49Posted by Takralus
Pets and mounts are entirely cosmetic, they don't give you any in-game benefit or edge over others,

That's not true! You can use Lil' Ragnaros as cooking fire which is an advantage over normal cooking fire that has 5 minutes cooldown ;)
12/12/2011 14:49Posted by Takralus
You dont have to.

This essentially answers the original question.

There are some rare pets and mounts in the game that are only obtainable from certain quests or encounters. If you prefer collecting things through the game, you could focus on getting all of those :-)

Because the only thing that matters in this game is gear, right? There's a lot of people farming mounts, pets and achievements in this game, and they care more about that then anything else in WoW. They compare themselves to others because that's what humans do, and challenge themselves to get more pets then the guy next to them. Even Blizzard thinks this is how it should be, or else they wouldn't have tried to make epic gear epic again in Cataclysm, even though it's just a "cosmetic colour".

Farming the last 8 pets for the 150 pet achievement while some other guy just buys the pets from the store really devalues the achievement and makes it less fun to get. Especially since it's not a F2P game. You pay for the game, for the (three) expansions, and to play each month for a fee. I'm not saying everyone should get all the mounts, gear and achievements in the game just because they're paying for it, but they should have an in-game way to obtain them all.
I was thinking I want to have all the pets which are available from the blizzard pet store, because they are much better than the ones in the game, however i don't want to pay for them with money.

I would be happy to purchase the pets with in game gold.

I think blizzard should introduce a system where you have the choice to buy the items with either money or gold.

NEGATIVES

POSITIVES

People who have excess gold has something else to spend it on.

It would make access to these pets more available for everyone who plays wow.

The gold sellers who are selling the pets for in game gold, would be stopped dead!
(i don't want to encourage gold sellers, they hack accounts which is not nice!)

Anyway in conclusion

Blizzard please stop taking our money at every occasion, not everyone can afford it.
Be nice to us after all we are your customers, !!! AN RETARD GAME !!! is coming out you want to keep everyone happy.
End of the day everyone is in different financial situations, as a student i don't have much disposable income YET, so be nice blizz make your pet store a bit more friendly, and don't be so money hungry.

Dude don't start with that game with that hairy monkey that souns like a murloc