Weird gems prices?

Customer Support
Hey i see a few chars selling some insane amounts of very expensive gems for very cheap prices compared ot the normal market .

For example 240 queen garnets for 220 k g atm on trade

I basically wanna buy 30-40 to cover my mage paladin and rogue. So can i do it or am i in risk of getting banned or having the items removed or something?

And how is it even possible to get such amount of gems btw as individual even with bot usage since the new epic ones are raid related?
You are not expected to check the validity of items on the AH. If you see a good deal, take it. If the items were obtained by deception for placing on the AH, you will not be held accountable.
Its sales through trade Shammoz they arent in the AH. /2 advertising
10/01/2012 14:16Posted by Marizza
Its sales through trade Shammoz they arent in the AH. /2 advertising

So many #ShammozFails in the last few days, I should retire!

Well, still the point is that you are not required to check where the items being sold were obtained. I guess the only thing you have to think over is the moral aspect of possibly buying something that was not obtained legitimately and of course ensure that the trade is performed in such a way that you cannot be scammed. But certainly from a policy point of view, you are not going to be punished for unknowingly purchasing stolen/illegitimately obtained items.

Well they are definitely not legal with 3 chars raiding i managed to gather 6-7 queen garnets so far and i consider myself pretty lucky tbh. There is no way to gather 240 unless you got a guild of bots working for you or something.

I ll see what i ll do i ll wait some more in case any blue reads it. Thanks
Are you sure about this one Shammoz?

I mean if I took the same application of real world law, the saying is often "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is" applied to the crime of handling stolen goods (which if these items are obtained using an exploit, or some other illegal route, it would be the equivalent). For which it's very rare you get away with keeping the stolen item OR recover your money spent. In some cases you actually can be charged with a crime.

I'd like to think Blizzard wouldn't ban you for accepting these items. But, when they track down all the items. Will they delete them from other's inventories. I don't know.

You see, the way I'd look at it (if I were Blizzard) is this. If they allow the items to stay in the game (a very high number of extremely rate items) they hurt the economy devaluing an item that is meant to be hard to achieve and very rare. Those that didn't take advantage of the deal feel bad that for not taking the items, they lose out. Also, it encourages people exploiting, or hacking accounts, or however they obtain these items from doing it again. Because if they get away with the gold, and the items stay in the game, they can do it again next time. Word gets around that you get to keep the items. This equates to more buyers next time round.

On the other hand, if you do track down all the items, and remove them. The story gets around that these cheap items are a scam. Suddenly the hackers/exploiters can't shift their items like they used to.
10/01/2012 14:29Posted by Andrai
I mean if I took the same application of real world law, the saying is often "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is" applied to the crime of handling stolen goods (which if these items are obtained using an exploit, or some other illegal route, it would be the equivalent). For which it's very rare you get away with keeping the stolen item OR recover your money spent. In some cases you actually can be charged with a crime.

indeed, if you do think of it this way, then it does sound a very wrong thing to do. The difference here is that Blizzard do not have a "Receiving Stolen Goods" rule. If you were buying these from the AH in singles, you would not have any suspicion, despite the fact it could be the same player selling them and obtaining them via exploitation or deception.

The part where "If it sounds too good to be true" comes into effect with the purchase itself, if the player is indeed exploiting in some way, he/she may also try and exploit the trade with you...

Personally, I would not buy them, but I can only answer your question in respect of what Blizzard's stance is and that is that if you purchase something that was not obtained legitimately, they will not blame you for it. After all, it's not like you can request references or certificates of ownership/looting etc etc.
10/01/2012 14:35Posted by Shammoz
Personally, I would not buy them, but I can only answer your question in respect of what Blizzard's stance is and that is that if you purchase something that was not obtained legitimately, they will not blame you for it. After all, it's not like you can request references or certificates of ownership/looting etc etc.
Yep, but let's take another example.

Say my account was hacked. And, I had a whole set of epic BoE items. This hacker puts all these items on the AH, and someone buys them.

Blizzard give me the items back when I get my account back. But, if they leave the other items out there. They've hurt the economy. Now, on a single instance you might think, hey that's fine who could it hurt? When it's happening wholesale, they're hurting the crafters that can make those items. The value of crafted items lowers because the ones obtained unfairly are able to flood the market.

Likewise with these gems. If they're able to list THAT many gems, so cheaply. And blizzard leave these illegally (in the context of game rules) obtained gems in the game. Then they've totally devalued those items.

The fairest solution would be to return the money given over and remove the items. But, I'm not sure they log all trades in order to do that.

Time will tell, as to what kind of action Blizzard will take I guess.
10/01/2012 14:45Posted by Andrai
The fairest solution would be to return the money given over and remove the items. But, I'm not sure they log all trades in order to do that.

It may seem the fairest.. but more is involved than that. The gem cannot be removed from an item, so the item the gem was in would have to be destroyed and replaced, money refunded, previous gems in the socket replaced, enchant on the item replaced etc etc...

10/01/2012 14:55Posted by Shammoz
It may seem the fairest.. but more is involved than that. The gem cannot be removed from an item, so the item the gem was in would have to be destroyed and replaced, money refunded, previous gems in the socket replaced, enchant on the item replaced etc etc...
Then it kinda produces a mess. Because if they let people get away with this. It'll get out of hand. Ah well I guess we can only wait and see what happens.
Hi there, Marizza.

I don't want to get into this discussion too much as a proper answer would involve explaining a lot of internal processes and procedures, all of which should remain confidential.

What I will say is this: we're out to punish those that exploit WoW, not innocent players. Intent and context play a large part in our investigative process, and those that accidentally purchase ill-gotten items shouldn't fear recrimination.

That said, if you suspect that a player is selling items of a dubious origin then steer clear. Only good can come of buying from legitimate sellers; you'll help protect your realm's economy and reduce the market demand for exploited goods.

I hope that answers your question. :)
id like to add, do not buy 300gems, since that topic brought me here, theres no way in hell somebody can sell u 300 epic gems and then u state u didnt kno they are duped..
i must have got like 60epic gems total looted atm at the time i write this down, and seriously i dont even think i ever had 60 probly more like 40 or even less, they are ment to be rare/epic gems, dont be the innocent guy who grinds a little at the side from ppl using these exploits cuz ur just being as much illigal as they are. hope it helps, when ppl check AH and see ppl selling to many possible red gems, just report them to make sure, and also lvl 1's in trade selling a lot of em. keep your server clean and u will earn a lot more with less effort, trust me.