Changing Country Address

Customer Support
Hello,

Alright, so I recently called the Customer Service and it seems that there has been a change in the battle.net settings so that you cannot change your country address unless you give pure evidence that you have moved to the said country. It is important to highlight this, considering the covert operation that Blizzard has been orchestrating - No details were given of this situation to any of their customers, not a single forum post.

In a different perspective, it is a breach of your own privacy for a private corporation to require your personal data in order to make such a standard modification on your account.

It seems this is yet another where Blizzard acts beneath the shadows, without the consent of their customers. Then again it's a private corporation, we all have no bearing in what they decide and rule, and perhaps, that's one of the reasons, if not the greatest reason, as to why World of Warcraft has been losing so many subscribers.

I for one have already unsubbed, and I hope that you all who feel you're being subject to the same excessive use of power do the same.
Ok
Good evening Sethya,

While I appreciate that your post is perhaps more of a feedback post concerning the current situation, I wanted to address a few individual points.

Firstly, long time players may remember that on our old World of Warcraft Account Management system, prior to the inception of ‘new’ Battle.net, it wasn’t possible for players to change their registered country themselves, and it was necessary to contact support to effectuate any country changes.

This wasn’t carried over onto ‘new’ Battle.net, so to start with it was quite possible to alter one’s address as and when necessary through Account Management.

However, with the coming changes to Battle.net and the inclusion of Battle.net Balance and the Diablo III Auction House, it has become more important again for us to ensure that players are performing transactions in their local currency (where possible) and that this data is correct.

Apologies for any disappointment or annoyance this may cause you, but please rest assured that all personal data and information provided to us for this purpose is handled discreetly and properly.
So what can be this evidence?
28/01/2012 18:04Posted by Agonist
So what can be this evidence?

Probably a statement from the national register.
For a change such as this, we usually require some simple account verification data and then a utility bill from the new country in question, Agonist. :)

This wasn’t carried over onto ‘new’ Battle.net, so to start with it was quite possible to alter one’s address as and when necessary through Account Management.

That does not justify your lack of communication to your customers. No notice of this change was given, and the fact that you continuously choose to deny players' their feedback in regards to the changes you make to the game is nothing but a manifestation of autocracy.

However, with the coming changes to Battle.net and the inclusion of Battle.net Balance and the Diablo III Auction House, it has become more important again for us to ensure that players are performing transactions in their local currency (where possible) and that this data is correct.

Might I add that that justification is far too different from the one I got via phoneline.

Apologies for any disappointment or annoyance this may cause you, but please rest assured that all personal data and information provided to us for this purpose is handled discreetly and properly.

Then again, I did not create this thread expecting anything else but deaf ears and cold shoulders from you, I did it so that other people could be aware of this situation. It had to be one of your customers to shed some light upon this issue. Had it not been one of us, you'd probably never bring this up.
I'm baffled ... why should it cause such a problem when it's simple to provide evidence?

I imagine they changed it because too many people were changing their country so they could participate in things they were excluded from by their country's laws.

That does not justify your lack of communication to your customers. No notice of this change was given, and the fact that you continuously choose to deny players' their feedback in regards to the changes you make to the game is nothing but a manifestation of autocracy.

Might I add that that justification is far too different from the one I got via phoneline.

Then again, I did not create this thread expecting anything else but deaf ears and cold shoulders from you, I did it so that other people could be aware of this situation. It had to be one of your customers to shed some light upon this issue. Had it not been one of us, you'd probably never bring this up.

Yeah, how unacceptable for them to make changes to their system in a way that does not require feedback, as the decision is not debatable.

Something that will only happen a handful of times in your lifetime will now be slightly less inconvenient in order to preserve the integrity of the services they're provided.

You made your point in your original post, there is no need to debate it further, unless that wasn't your point.
I have to ask why would you want to change your country unless you have moved or to bypass some safeguard Blizzard have in place.