Lovely Charm bug with Darkmoon Adventurer's Guide

Customer Support
If you have a Darkmoon Adventurer's Guide in your bag it will prevent you from recieving Lovely Charm for the Love is in the Air quests. I spent an hour farming mobs until I figured out that the guide was interfering.

Deleting the DMF guide book or putting it in the bank will allow you to collect the charms.

EDIT> Seems to be caused by the "Test Your Strength" quest, rather than the Adventurers Guide alone.
yupz i also farmed a hour for the lovely charms and didnt receive any till i removed the darkmoon guide..
I have both in my bags, and I've been collecting the charms. There is a bug with the kit though, which had me stumped for a good half hour until I remembered it from last year - the kit has to be in one of the four bags that aren't the backpack, if it's in the actual backpack, it doesn't work.
the kit has to be in one of the four bags that aren't the backpack, if it's in the actual backpack, it doesn't work.

Mine works in the normal backpack.
This does apparently only happen if you have the "Test Your Strength" quest from the Darkmoon Faire.

Once you complete or abandon Test Your Strength the Charms will drop.
Once again, it works for me. I have the kit, I have the adventurer's journal, and I have Test Your Strength. I was getting only Grisly Trophies until I moved the kit into my fourth bag, at which point I started getting both trophies and charms.
05/02/2012 08:13Posted by Tutti
Once again, it works for me. I have the kit, I have the adventurer's journal, and I have Test Your Strength. I was getting only Grisly Trophies until I moved the kit into my fourth bag, at which point I started getting both trophies and charms.

Gonna have to say that it doesn't work here either, it will only give you Grisly Trophies until you've completed it at which point you will also get Lovely Charms.

And i tried every bag-combination i could think of.

Edit: Additionally it does also seem like Retribution Aura lowers the amount of charms you get, i'm guessing maybe it's because the Retribution Aura getting the killing blow can bug it? May have been bad luck of course, but still.
Is there any work-around so we can get lovely charms & grisly trophies at the same time? I haven't succeeded as yet.
Hey guys,

Apologies for the delay in response on this particular issue – I’ve just updated our Love is in the Air sticky with some information (including the workaround concerning either completing ‘Test Your Strength’ first, or placing the Guide into the bank… or into the bin… for a short while!);

[NEW] For whatever floats your Love Boat this year...❤
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3312963548

Q: I’m trying to collect Lovely Charms for the event, but I’m also currently on the quest ‘Test Your Strength’ for the Darkmoon Faire, and I don’t seem to be able to get both drops at the same time. What’s up with that?
    A: We’re aware that players are experiencing difficulties when trying to complete these two quests simultaneously, and have already passed this on for further investigation.

In the meantime, you’re welcome to either complete ‘Test Your Strength’ first, or to temporarily place into your bank or delete your Darkmoon Adventurer's Guide (which should not cause you to abandon the quest, nor lose any existing progress) in order to continue collecting Lovely Charms as normal.

Please bear in mind that if you do chose to bank or destroy your Guide and pick it up again later, it also won’t be possible to collect any of the other in-game drops that require this item’s presence in your Inventory.

Interestingly, while testing this myself just now, I was able to collect both types of drop while having both items in my bags… they just unfortunately wouldn’t both drop from the same kill.

As always, however, your mileage may vary if you keep both the Collector’s Kit and the Guide on your character, so the above workarounds are still recommended if you experience any issues. :)
I tested this last night and was able to farm around 100 lovely charms at the same time as it took me to complete test of strength. (kit + journal were not in my main backpack) - I think that the lovely charms simply are not garanteed drops -and probably lower rate than the grisly tokens. Im not sure if certain mobs have lower chance to drop - but I can confirm that it is possible to loot both while on both the quests.

Where did I farm?
Aldur´thar in icecrown - very fast respawning mobs around the cauldrons.
Likely by now they have hotfixed the issue, i was farming the exact same place as you, and no dice :)
perhaps - though usually that would require a server restart? Either way - hopefully this means no one will have issues anymore :)
I wonder if they hotfixed it while I was killing yesterday - as I noted in the official 'Love' thread, I went on a killing spree in my usual 'grisly trophy' place and ended up with 250 grisly trophies and 1 lovely charm. As soon as I had all the trophies, the charms started dropping again.
yesterday - no "test of strength" quest - farmed charms ok

today - with "test of strength" quest zero charms in 3 different locations

so i guess no hot fix has been implemented as yet
I can confirm that I was able to get both Lovely Charms and Grisly Trophies while having both quests active and both inventory items, however not from the same monster each time.

It would go:

Monster 1: Lovely Charm
Monster 2: Grisly Trophy
Monster 3: Lovely Charm
Monster 4: Cloth and grey item

etc etc etc
06/02/2012 15:20Posted by Shantotto
I can confirm that I was able to get both Lovely Charms and Grisly Trophies while having both quests active and both inventory items, however not from the same monster each time.

I'm guessing the algorithm responsible for this goes through your items one by one, checking for each item if the kill made it give you something, and keeps looking if it didn't - even if it could have. So if it finds the charm kit first, it sees if you get a charm from it and if you don't it moves on to the adventurer's guide, but if it finds the guide first it always spawns a trophy, so it stops looking.

Alternatively, it could keep an internal list of such items you have in your bags, which would mean it would check the items in the order they were added (or possibly in the reverse order). I'll test this out later.