Total game download size?

Technical Support
Not sure if this is the correct forum.

I am about to upgrade my account from WoTLK to Cata through scroll of resurection, I have lost my old discs and have a new HDD so have lost my old game data so was going to start a fresh install using the game client.

How big is the download and how much room will it take on my HDD when fully installed?
I believe it's in the area between 15 and 17 GB.
11/04/2012 16:12Posted by Xarthat
I believe it's in the area between 15 and 17 GB.

The download or the final install?
Final install.
It will install while downloading.
Final install.
It will install while downloading.

Any idea what the total download size is pre install?
The installer itself that You download is like 30mb or something if i remember correctly.
11/04/2012 16:41Posted by Nadÿa
The installer itself that You download is like 30mb or something if i remember correctly.

Sorry, I meant how much do you physically download since I have download limits on my internet connection. I realise that you don't download 15-17GB, that is just the install size but it seems that the actual download size is currently an unknown. I'll take the risk and hopefulyl I won't go over my limit!

Thanks for the help.
I think You can see the total download size and what is left to download while the download client is running.
my wow folder generally hovers around the 30gig mark even after that cleanup thingy blizzard introduced
Could be some left over updates/addons.

Mine is sitting at 21gb atm.
22,4 GB. Deduce 2 GB from addons and other nifty stuff I used.
I'd say about 20-21gig.mine is 22gig with addons.
11/04/2012 16:51Posted by Epixphail

Sorry, I meant how much do you physically download since I have download limits on my internet connection. I realise that you don't download 15-17GB, that is just the install size but it seems that the actual download size is currently an unknown. I'll take the risk and hopefulyl I won't go over my limit!

Thanks for the help.

I'm afraid the total amount of data you will have to download to have the client fully installed will be at the very least over 15 GB, if not more as said by the other posters.
11/04/2012 20:59Posted by Xarthat

Thanks for the help.

I'm afraid the total amount of data you will have to download to have the client fully installed will be at the very least over 15 GB, if not more as said by the other posters.

I know that, wich You could have easily guessed from my first post.
I thought that he asked about the downloader program itself.
If the launcher is to be believed then a fresh install downloads just over 10gb
A fresh install with all of the expansions should be about 21.3 GB. Long standing copies that have been upgraded multiple times, gone through several patches, etc, may be a bit bigger due to left over files that the clean up missed. At 30 GB though, it's possible that you already have some or all of the Cataclysm files.

I honestly don't recommend the use of the discs even if you manage to find them. The data is quite outdated and you'll end up having to download something anyway.

The best option if your connection is limited is to consider asking a friend to download or share their copy with you. A portable hard drive works wonders in cases like this. :)
good
I'm in a similar pickle, i have the discs which i was thinking would be to my advantage but apparently not. so instead, as i haven't changed hard-drives, just deleted wow when I needed the space, I am going to try a system restore to when I did have it, luckily it was only a month or so ago, so go me :p .... I hope.

EDIT: well that's a bust, i don't have any restore points old enough :'(

PS: i'm trying to find a free recovery program, hopefully i can get my old filder back that way. Does anyone know of any?