The all become mad and corrupted... (Spoilers)

Story
One of the things I guess I really dislike about the Old Gods having so much influence is really that we've already defeated two of them. Then, of course, some might argue that what we fought against was just a weakened, temporal shell and not the full strength of the Old Gods, but that doesn't change the fact that we've beat them already.
From a progressing perspective, I think it's kind of sad to defeat a guy like C'thun back in Vanilla, when everyone was level 60 and then years and 25 levels later, we defeat (or well re-defeat) one of his lieutenants. The same could be said for Kil'Jeaden, I guess.

It wasn't THE C'thun, it was an avatar, if you will, of C'thun. Or Blizzard is going to pull the 'IT WAS MERELY A SETBACK' card. One or the other. Same with Ol' Yoggy. And we didn't actually kill Kil'Jaeden (No pun intended) we only pushed him back through the portal. He was prematurely summoned through the portal, as we killed the Eredar guys that where doing all their voodoo hoodoo magic, and if he managed to fully pass through, I'm sure the World would've been obliterated.

This does remain a problem. It was stated that the Titans could never have destroyed the Old Gods because they were so intrinsically linked with the world of azeroth itself ( I presume the physical planet) that it would fall apart were they not there. However...we do seem to have killed them. Cho'gall (In those horrible comics featuring Med'an) was prevented for resurrecting C'thun by that abominable son of Metzen and Mary Sue herself. That to me implies he died.

I'm not sure about Yoggy, mind. There's nothing more written about him, though he doesn't seem to be popping up any time soon.

That Archaeology thing, however, Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron, seems despite being named after Yoggy, to hint at the work of N'zoth. He talks about dreaming (as the architect of the Emerald Nightmare...) and various things to do with the depths of the sea (quite likely the Old God that corrupted the Highborne and made the Naga, AND incidentally took the tree Malfurion turned Xavius into drifted down to the bottom of the sea and turned it into the Nightmare, etc etc.

"At the bottom of the ocean even light must die"

"In the sunken city, he lays dreaming."

"In the land of Ny'alotha there is only sleep."

"The drowned god's heart is black ice"

Aaand, N'zoth presumably living at the middle of the Maelstrom or under the sea could possibly mean that it was N'zoth that lived below or around the original Well of Eternity - the one that dragons, Krasus, Rhonin etc noticed when venturing near the Well. Big ugly horrible thing with tentacles. Possibly he orchestrated it all.

Do not like. Not everything needs to be caused by one main antagonist. Grr.

I -really- hope that I'm wrong. I do not want the entire game to pan out to a story that I worked out at 6 o'clock in the morning when I'm most certainly not at my best. >.<

Edit: added final sarky comment.
Evil is something to be considered from the winners perspective.

Corruption and madness is basically the root for all evil if you read up on the history books of real life.

It's probably derived from folklore and biblical tales.
The story of Lucifer is something I believe has been the core inspiration for writers, creating evil with a new face.
Azeroth needs some lunatic asylums and some good shrinks..
it's not true about Kil'jeaden and the other one. they wanted the greater power. if they were currputed the leader of the dreanei were corrupted to. and the dreanei's never met the orcs and all the other stuff.
[quote]

This does remain a problem. It was stated that the Titans could never have destroyed the Old Gods because they were so intrinsically linked with the world of azeroth itself ( I presume the physical planet) that it would fall apart were they not there. However...we do seem to have killed them. Cho'gall (In those horrible comics featuring Med'an) was prevented for resurrecting C'thun by that abominable son of Metzen and Mary Sue herself. That to me implies he died.

We haven't killed the Old Gods, Dannelor. If we did, Azeroth would probably be breaking apart at the seams because the Old God jelly or whatever it is they're made up of would be starting to rot away, leaving huge holes in the planet's crust and core. Something to think about when you see a 'defeated' Old God is that you're only really seeing a teeny tiny part of them. Take Yogg Saronn for example. Yes, he was confined to Ulduar, but his 'black blood' was scattered all across Northrend. This could mean we're dealing with a creature which has a body the size of a continent, if indeed it's a body and not some gelatinous mass lurking below the planet's crust. How can you kill something like that with just a tiny sword and some magic?

All that we've probably done is beaten certain vulnerable parts of the Old Gods black and blue and forced them into a dormant state once again, a state they'll remain in for a number of years before their power returns to the level it was at before their defeat, and the cycle will start anew, with a fresh band of heroes needed to batter the creatures senseless once again.
so....

Arthas- was pretty stupid, made stupid decisions, hasty etc.. thats how he got mad... read uther's comments on him. (he was good intented. not releaseing the full power of the scourge may prove that he still was good... somewhat..)

Illidan- power mad, jelous over malf-tyrande, pissed of and angry for beying banned turns to the legion for a purpose, fails to kill the lich king, then in depseration, runs in outland, out of immense fear, tries to hide, and driven mad by the fear of kel'jaeden, turn to making blood orcs etc :)

kael'thas- bad decisions, pretty dump, smal sighted, pride... in romanian we have a saying, s fool its not fool enough if he isnt proud.... so he turned to BL because he tought he was to good for illidan's short sigthed plan... in fact he was short-sigthed ... we got him killed. add to that some fel corruption and there u go.

Sargeras....oh sargeras. HE WAS NEVER CORRUPTED! he just felt to dispair. so u can make a comparison: try and number all the stars in the sky. that was his job: bringing order to the planets of the twisting nether finding an never-ending wave of demons who were just there... so he tought to himself: "why? at what cost, to what point? " so he started ti thinking like any ration beying would: "why not organize the neverneding deamons and just bring all to anihilation as its heading there anyway, i'll just hurry the process". When u think of Sargeras bear in mind one thing. "ENTROPY"...
who else?

Azshara... she was a twisted woman who wanted to be fu..ked. by srageras, killed in the proces. she was always mad, power drivin manipulating her people, as illidan said when he got his new eyes she had that aura about ehrslef making people love her. she was a spoiled brat that had anything wanted anything and tought everything was rightfully hers. to imagine her power of "corruption" sh even "corrupted" an Old God... Well that's a mean a$$ !@#$%^, cant wait to kill her.

Deathing u can think of him in the same way as of sargeras and add some corruption from old gods. he was the master of earth, so he was in direct contact with them all along.

am i missing anyone?

that archbishop... hmm imagine a huge dragon, big like half the city, and u look him in the eyes. (as he claims he did.) would u still be the same? i would honestly first piss my pants and then do whatever he asks me to only so i dont stand in his way... so i dont blame him. i dont blame blizzard for making this. i only blame them for not developing it more... giving it some ramifications.

fandrahal... meh didnt like him anyway...
Thing that bugs me in the Warcraft story-line is the same thing that all these stories have: "The age of mortals has begun"

Why does it always have to be mortals turned into god-slayers? Why are powerful and admirable creatures always slain by meaningless mortal who's power to slay them is as unlikely as the story?

I mean, I would simply love it if there was a bit more balance. Sure, some epic battles are nice but what about including some creatures that simply cannot ever be defeated? Give a true sense of mortality. Remember that I'm talking story-wise here, not game-mechanics. Personally I'd much rather fight minions of (evil / evil) (dem-) gods than killing yet another being that wouldn't be bothered with the meaningless beings in the first place.

Personally, and this is merely an opinion, I think Blizz has taken the whole "defeat epic bosses" a step to far when we got to kill gods. Aspects should have never been defeated or lost their power. It feels like the whole epic fantasy feeling of beings larger than us is slowly dripping out of the game. At the rate this game is going we'll have no more major lore-beings left in a few expansions. Change is generally good but I'm not liking which direction the game is going now.