we consume content too fast?

General
Prev 1 9 10 11 301 Next
I think they're fixing that in MOP with optional but real slow grind of valor points over the cap.

Unless I remember my blues wrong.

You can perceive it as a grind. However, keep in mind that Mists of Pandaria also adds scenarios, pet battles, challenge modes and plenty of daily quests to do at level 90, which will definitely help in providing more content to do. And more importantly, do whatever you want to do.

"do whatever you want to do" ... Yes do let me do so.
...Do what you want?

- cannot get all the wanted "valor" gear without waiting for weekly resets aka 1k cap.
- cannot do heroic raid twice a day on same toon if i want to
- cannot do same heroic twice in a row if i want to
- cannot que to random dungeons where ppl have same ilvl/pve progress if i want to
- cannot mail my boa gear Xrealm if i want to
- cannot not raid with friends Xrealm on current content raid if i want to
- cannot ignore enough ppl "cant ignore anymore" even i want to

just a few things, i CANNOT do EVEN you say DO WHAT YOU WANT.

Yes this has been promised before and it still isnt working.

challenge modes for transmog? couldnt care less, achivements couldnt care less. Im not playing this game for epeen or mounts and what not to flash around. I play this game cos it still have HAD some interesting and fun things in it.
Making everything or most complete joke is very short sighted and aint gonna work, unless u allready decided to bary Wow.
Interesting thread. I was planning to read through most of the posts, but then people were talking about what you'd do if you went to the barbers and didn't like your haircut, so i was like ok, this won't end well, i'll just post my input instead.

Anyway, in regards to consuming content too fast, there are a few things blizzard try to do. Number one is they try to make sure people actually have content to do, without having to run it endless times, and they get bored of it. An example of this is ICC, where people were running that for so long, that blizzard threw in obsidian sanctum, to relieve some of that boredom. However, because they are trying to keep the content moving at a decent pace, which i'm sure some people think is a little too fast, this means they have to have something in place to help the slower/newer players catch up to current content. This is why they have it so you can run dungeons, then heroics, then LFR and purchase gear with valor, in order to catch up to the current tier.

If you think back to tbc, which was a fantastic expansion in many ways, if somebody joined your guild, they had to be geared from the previous tiers, which was actually quite annoying, as sometimes the guild had to run those raids again, to get them a few missing items and help them catch up to the current content.

Another thing, which not many people realise, is i wonder, in general, how good players actually were way back in vanilla. By this i mean, people didn't fully understand their class, like they do today, now the game has been out for many years. People in general, are just more understanding of the game mechanics and how classes work these days. On top of this, blizzard are trying to appeal to a much wider audience, which i suppose is making some of the more 'hardcore' player base suffer. I suppose the heroics were a little harder in tbc, but that may be because there was no dungeon finder, which meant to have experienced a dungeon at all, on heroic OR normal, you had to have found a group for it yourself, which some people just didn't ever take the time to do, so had little knowledge of any of the encounters first-hand.

Everything changes over time, and WoW is no exception. Personally i still enjoy this game as much as i used to, even though it's now vastly different.
is the current content easier? i have a funny story to tell you.

some days ago i was with my druid in a clearrun (nhc, because i play my discipline as my main char now, but still had made 8/8 hc with my druid before), in this raid i met a player who knew me from raids before cataclysm, he was fascinated that i already had 8hcs down and told me that he knew me when i was still a "casual" gamer... but in my opinion nothing really has changed in my play... probably i got a little bit better, but when i wasn't able to clear all nhc raids in tbc i am now able to clear the heroic content... this was the moment where i realised that wow is pretty pretty easy right now ;-)
04/07/2012 18:20Posted by Underlyng
Tell me. Compared to now, will the raid content be harder or easier?

The 4.3 heroic dungeons and Dragon Soul when the patch was released are a good measure to get an impression on how the content will look difficulty wise.

04/07/2012 22:14Posted by Sihino
and over 3 years more than 75% of the EU playerbase have left the EU servers..

And 97% of the Internet know that 99% of statistics are made up on the spot :-)

Is any chances to see Raids that would bring back people to raid them? And i simply put off Lfr.

LFR is not going away, if that's what you're asking for, it's actually useful for players that can't be part of a raiding guild (or don't want, for whatever reason) to experience the content.

And new raid content will be appealing to raiders, surely. Will it be appealing to your friends/guildmates? Well, that's really up to them. There's a number of (personal) factors that no amount of raid content will change.
05/07/2012 10:05Posted by Draztal
Tell me. Compared to now, will the raid content be harder or easier?

The 4.3 heroic dungeons and Dragon Soul when the patch was released are a good measure to get an impression on how the content will look difficulty wise.

and over 3 years more than 75% of the EU playerbase have left the EU servers..

And 97% of the Internet now that 99% of statistics are made up on the spot :-)

Is any chances to see Raids that would bring back people to raid them? And i simply put off Lfr.

LFR is not going away, if that's what you're asking for, it's actually useful for players that can't be part of a raiding guild (or don't want, for whatever reason) to experience the content.

And new raid content will be appealing to raiders, surely. Will it be appealing to your friends/guildmates? Well, that's really up to them. There's a number of (personal) factors that no amount of raid content will change.
With all due respect, waiting the better part of a year for the devs to roll up an expansion (which will need to be paid for), and that being used as an excuse of not adding any content to the current game.... Stale comes to mind over repetitive, but both are valid.

Also, during that year, for some reason HC gets nerfed to the ground? For what reason again (genuine question)?

If the nerfs are "so that everyone gets to experience the instance", wasn't LFR for those purposes and normal mode?

You effectively took all the challenge out of the game, leaving a game without reason to log.

You're welcome to look at my user account history to see my activity since this game went live. It's not that I've become bored with the concept of the game, I like the game.
But I'm not offered any content. No challenges left, no hope for a content update due to the upcoming release. sure there's a lull between expansions, but this one is different in concept due to the game's perpetual changing nature.

Those changes aver the whole are fine. However, with that the attitude should change as well.

I'm left with nothing but the disrespectful "soon" meme. Which is quite frankly a bad attitude at this point.

I'm sure your secret metrics will show that not that many are interested in playing anymore, and when you can't retain your playerbase, it's going to be next to impossible to get those people to come back again.

Draztal, you argue there is more room. I'll counter argue that pigeon holing us while degrading the content and not taking measurements to prevent people from getting bored or fed up makes your statement quite truthfully a bit insulting.

Take it as you like, I'm not attacking you, just strongly expressing my personal experiences versus my worries in the chosen path. I would like to enjoy the game I like. I really would, but you're making it hard for me. Currently the only thing keeping me here are the social bonds, but guess what, they feel the same and are leaving one by one too, effectively eliminating my need to log.

An open discussion about this with the devs and management of this game is not in this company's nature, I know, but perhaps it's time. They already do so to an extend in the US, but EU players seem left out here completely but for the token gesture every blue Monday..

Take it as you want, but things are not moving up, and repeating "MoP" as a mantra will not solve these issues.
05/07/2012 10:07Posted by Darkangle
f the nerfs are "so that everyone gets to experience the instance", wasn't LFR for those purposes and normal mode?

Not really. Nerfing content doesn't help the same spectrum of players. Players that are struggling on, let's say, Heroic Hagara, will eventually give up if they can't progress further. The only question in that case is, how long before they stop? Might be a month, or six, but if they can't progress, they'll stop. That's the crowd that those nerfs are aimed at.

Moving forward, the dev team is thinking about using a similar system as the one currently in place for Dragon Soul. A single debuff on monsters for a raid tier that's been out for several months.

05/07/2012 10:07Posted by Darkangle
Take it as you like, I'm not attacking you, just strongly expressing my personal experiences versus my worries in the chosen path. I would like to enjoy the game I like. I really would, but you're making it hard for me. Currently the only thing keeping me here are the social bonds, but guess what, they feel the same and are leaving one by one too, effectively eliminating my need to log.

I'm not taking it as an attack, no worries. I understand you're trying to express yourself. Honestly, I'm unsure what's the message you're trying to give, though. You become bored of the content because it's not hard enough for you? (seeing that you've progressed nicely on Heroic DS). If that's the case, I can tell you that the devs are hard at work to roll patches faster than we've done in the past.

I also have the feeling (though I'm probably wrong) that some players are underestimating the true value of challenge modes (not necessarily your case). In those modes you're fighting against the clock, so that will always be challenging (you can always try to do it faster).
Ofcourse we consume content too fast.

Less and less content is released each expansion (just count the numbers on wowhead)
And dungeons/raids are mostly just halls or hallways with bosses in them. Gone are the days of Ulduar, Naxxramas, ZulGurub, Karazhan etc.

You spam dungeons for a day to get capped - the other 6 days your stuck with nothing and are bored untill breaking point.
You certainly dont go in there for fun anymore... :(

No more socializing during dungeon runs. People are put together randomly, dont speak to each other (unless its namecalling or harrassment) and never see each other again.

No travel time, pre-quests or logical progression in dungeons anymore.
Zone in, kill, loot, zone out.

Blergh, I could go on and on, but its depressing just thinking about it :(
Mists of Pandaria is WoW's last chance for me, and Blizzard's aswell.
Time to show true colors and what's in store for us (players) in the future.
Nerfing the bosses and making them easy makes us "consume" the content fast...
Yes, we do.

Blizzard should fix the gear scaling/content difficulty curve. Classic and TBC had it right in this case. In classic/tbc raidgroups had to start at the bottom of the ladder (MC, Kara/ZA) and had to work their way up from there. This accounted for much more possible content to do.

Right now, you can just jump into the latest tier and skip everything that came before that. This is bad and gives players the impression that there is very little available content that they can tackle. The stat gaps inbetween loot/patch tiers is way too big as well.

For instance, Throne of the four winds can be removed from the game again because no one does it anymore. The loot of a raid instance is inferior to the loot that drops in simple heroics. This loot progression issue should be fixed in MoP.

These heroics and LFR are nothing more than loot piñatas, and thus boring. They get old very fast.
05/07/2012 10:21Posted by Draztal
Not really. Nerfing content doesn't help the same spectrum of players. Players that are struggling on, let's say, Heroic Hagara, will eventually give up if they can't progress further. The only question in that case is, how long before they stop? Might be a month, or six, but if they can't progress, they'll stop. That's the crowd that those nerfs are aimed at.

It's strange, I've hit roadblocks like that in the past and while the nerf to get over it obviously helps to get past that before ennui sets in and people drag their feet in sign ups, allowing us to move on; it also has the adverse effect of making preceeding 'farm' bosses so much less challenging that they themselves become a complete bore. It's a double edge sword as it kinda makes people tired of the content they can do, and annoyed at that they struggle with, and the way the "option" to switch the buff off works doesn't cater to that.

There are also certain fights like Spine heroic or Warmaster where composition (burst for the former, multidotting for the latter) rather than actual tuning is so crucial that just having one person unable to make a raid makes the fight so much more difficult, and the broad sweeping nerfs don't actually fix that.
I can tell you that the devs are hard at work to roll patches faster than we've done in the past.

If i got 1 cent for every time Blizzard employees have said that i would have TENS of Euros.

Sadly the above statement is not exaggerated ;(

DS has been out for 8 months, this is just said.

Moving forward, the dev team is thinking about using a similar system as the one currently in place for Dragon Soul. A single debuff on monsters for a raid tier that's been out for several months.

I accept we have different views on what constitutes a challenge, and yours is backed up by actual figures, while mine is only perceptual. I can only see my friends list get empty, with the same answer why they quit every time. Granted I'm not probably playing as an average Joe, but I do have a proper understanding of challenge/reward. Then again, I don't have to be thinking in terms of sheer sub numbers, but only in quality (for the PvE part).

I'm not taking it as an attack, no worries. I understand you're trying to express yourself. Honestly, I'm unsure what's the message you're trying to give, though. You become bored of the content because it's not hard enough for you? (seeing that you've progressed nicely on Heroic DS). If that's the case, I can tell you that the devs are hard at work to roll patches faster than we've done in the past.

I also have the feeling (though I'm probably wrong) that some players underestimating the true value of challenge modes (not necessarily your case). In those modes you're fighting against the clock, so that will always be challenging (you can always try to do it faster).
We're going a bit offtrack here on the point. I tried to make. I am offensive in my communication by nature, so when I try to make a point politely it sometimes becomes a bit unclear to me not being able to express myself in a way I am used to (professional deformation I guess ^^).

The point is, and again I write offensively but it's not meant to be, we've heared this song I just quoted last time too: "more content and faster". The proof is in the eating of the pudding, and yes, this expansion has proven that there probably was the intention, but if memory serves me right we're 8 months into the last content patch, with blizzard telling us to hold our breath till MoP. Don't get me wrong, MoP will probably be good fun (personally love the new mechanics, hate pandas), but I'm currently not paying for MoP. I'm paying for 4.3 that has been out for too long with nothing in sight.

I'm not saying that looking to the future isn't good. But I'm paying and playing (ok, not playing at the moment due to made points atm) right now. I'm an old fart, and slight of hand can be amusing to even me, but repetition of the same trick loses appeal quite fast (promising extra content releases during WoTLK for Cata, and now the same thing).

I appreciate the effort. But I'm also realistic; I'm one of those gamers that plays not compulsively but for the highly subjective concept of personal fun.

For me that constitutes the social aspect and nice/challenging things to do together with an endgoal.

There's a lot more to say about the why and the how for me, too long to list here (ranging from the zero accountability to the way 5 mans and itemization versus content works) and I do understand and see why all these choices were made. However, for now the one thing that doesn't allow me to log is the total lackluster and empty promises.

I agree with you that the MoP challenge modes will be a thing that I will personally enjoy, but I also enjoyed the challenge at the start of Cata. We all know what happened to that. That makes me cautious, but still hopeful that the right lesson has been learned from that.

The problem/misconception I see here is you speak of the future, I speak of what I pay for now.
I can tell you that the devs are hard at work to roll patches faster than we've done in the past.

Where is it then :o ?

I am sorry, but you said this during WoTLK as well, yet the opposite is true.

I don't believe you.

I agree being stuck on some boss to no end is not fun, but I'm not sure nerfing them outright is the best solution.

In my opinion there has always been a natural way of bosses to "nerf themselves" and that is through aquiring more gear. Sure its gonna be hard for a group to kill a boss in the previous tier gear, but they will kill 2 bosses this week and just progress on the 3rd and next week that group will have better gear and will be more used to the progress boss, and both those factors will make things more doable.

If that doesnt happen, I think the question doesnt fall on whether the players are able or not to kill the said boss. The question is how long should that progress take. I think that if a guild that progressed fine in 3 bosses and even with the gear from those bosses is stuck on the 4th, then there's something wrong with the balance of the encounter from the start. I think that any guild that killed 3 bosses in a place should be able to kill the 4th given a reasonable amount of time and gear.

That brings me to one issue I had with raid encounters both in cata and wrath. See, back in wrath I was in a guild that killed 11 bosses in icc hc, farmed them for months and could never kill LK hc (though that mostly happened because ppl just gave up and quitted the game, given summer time as well). You will say that this is the reason bosses are nerfed, but my question is: is it normal for a guild to sneeze through 11 bosses in icc hc and just no be able to do anything about the 12th in a reasonable enough amount of time? Does this mean the first 11 bosses were too easy or that the 12th was too hard? Same thing happened to Ragnaros. I know a lot of ppl that were farming 6/7 hc with their eyes closed but Ragnaros just proved a guild breaker. Is it the intention of the devs to have such a strange progress curve?

It didn't feel same in DS for ex: sure, I spent 3 weeks wiping on spine hc 25 man with 5% nerf, and we would have killed it the next week , if we had enough time. The encounter is long and you dont get a lot of tries per raiding night so there weren't so many tries in those 3 weeks as one would imagine. We were frustrated by the nerf tbh: sure you can say we could have always removed the buff, but we were in a race with another guilds on the server and that part mattered to some of the guild. It's not just vanity in this tbh: the officers of a guild want to have a healthy team, and your guild will remain healthy if it is known to be good and well ranked. We are not hardcore raiders and all of us spent the holidays with their families and not raiding, and then we felt punished for doing so. We basically felt we did not have enough time back then, rushed from behind from the specter of a nerf that was making things more irrelevant, and now we have too much time and nothing to do.

And last but not least: we got told that scaling of gear was made as it is, making old tiers irrelevant because you wanted rerollers and newer raiders to not have the gear gap and to be able to experience all the content. However, by removing most of the interest to go into older tiers, haven't you made the older content..invisible? What is the difference between ppl not seeing new content, or not seeing older content, in the end, its still content that doesn't get seen? I'd say that is a shame tbh, and I'm not even going to begin talking about how much of an impact overgearing has on the fun of everything. We don't want to be stuck and crushed by a boss for ages, but sure there has to be a middle ground?

You are not just nerfing the bosses by decreasing their hp/dmg, they are also nerfed by the fact that there are so many (easy ways) to get good gear in the game that you end up overgearing most of the content by not even stepping foot in a raid. You can now go see dragon soul normal with an itemlevel of around 390 just from valor points/lfr, when its been nerfed by 30% and it was intended to be run in 378 with no nerfs. That feels overkill, and you can quite tell that if somebody cant kill a boss with almost a full tier extra power in gear, then you probably ignore mechanics and maybe you should just not be able to kill that boss until you learn to respect the work that went into designing those mechanics.
I think they're fixing that in MOP with optional but real slow grind of valor points over the cap.

Unless I remember my blues wrong.

You can perceive it as a grind. However, keep in mind that Mists of Pandaria also adds scenarios, pet battles, challenge modes and plenty of daily quests to do at level 90, which will definitely help in providing more content to do. And more importantly, do whatever you want to do.

Wich is NOT raid content. And a large part of it is "meh", like archeology wich was supposed to be improved, but really hasn't. Thats still a boring grind, I can only hope that petbattles will be better, because doing a daily quest grind -even with a pool of 100+- is getting old.

But the issue is not exactly the lack of content, but the increasingly lower difficulty of it.
Ever since WotLK raids get nerfed to the ground so that a very large part of the raiders, skilled or not so, can kill the what should be hardest boss of an expansion. wowprogress.com reports that as of today over 10% of all raid guilds have downed heroic Madness.

Now I have been playing on and off during every end-game, and never have I seen such a large number of people being able to down the hardest content. And when only 5% can down the hardest boss on HM, then that should be OK; it is the boss balanced for the most skilled players. So I hoped that DS was simply to easy, even in the eye's of the devs....
But then you come with this qoute, and it PISSES me off:

So the developers want the game really to become a "wait and you will breath on the heroic boss and he'll be dead" kind of game.
LFR should be, the place for the easy kills, and it is.
Normal should be place for the top 90%+ of the community, and it is
Hardmode should be the place for the top 10%, wich isn't anymore so and gets so less and less.

Look I understand that Blizzard wants to cater to the largest group of players; it lets them keep the largest income. And so it looks like a good idea from a couple of standpoints.... but is it really so?
When raid content is (too) easy, and when new follow up raid content gets even easier over time, then what is the main purpose of raiding? It will no longer be the satisfaction of downing that hard boss, and thats for most the largest satisfaction, even more so with the devaluation of gear due to the lack of difference between its looks.
And that feeling will make people do exactly what Blizzard wants to prevent -> leave WoW. So in the end, making the game to easy, will achieve the oposite; less people will see the content, becuase there will simply be less people playing the game.

If there should be nerfing of content, it should be nerfing of previous tier content, or balancing of bosses wich are simply not feeling right. So that when 5.1 hits, 5.0 raids get a nerf, and when 5.2 hits, 5.1 raid get nerfed, and that a boss thats hits to hard with an ability and becomes impossible to kill because of that, gets a slight nerf to that. Thats the only nerfing that should be done. It should not be that after X weeks a debuff pops up and gives players a 10% "handicap" bonus; thats cheap and unnessecary, even more so for hardmode content wich can be done by the top ~5% already.

Oh and please don't come with "You can do challenge mode dungeons"... you can not compare small group content and raids; those are 2 different kinds of play. Its like changing the setup of The Elder Scrolls games into a turn based RPG; it destroys the games core and doesn't appeal to the usuall crowd.
05/07/2012 10:05Posted by Draztal

Then explain to me why LFR drops epics, when it is for players "to experience the content", specificly better than Firelands-epics as well as the first raids in MoP (yes, that has been datamined).

http://mop.wowhead.com/search?q=date%3A2012-06-29#items:50+2

I don't like attunements. I despise them. It had no place with Kara, I still don't see why it should have with any other raid as well.
But I still want progression, something which has been thrown out of the window since TotC and has been done NOTHING about.

I was happy when Blizzard announced LFR, because people finally could be able to experience the content without getting loot they clearly don't deserve.
However, as it is now, they DO get loot they don't deserve. So either Blizzard philosophy has changed (The one with "let people experience the content"), or Blizzard have kept it hidden since WLK (with a more appropiate one being "let people experience the content and feel powerfull").

Don't take it as an attack, but I still find this being a contradiction to Blizzard's philosophy of the game itself.
Not a lie, per say, just not telling the full truth.
05/07/2012 11:46Posted by Skoddraei

Then explain to me why LFR drops epics, when it is for players "to experience the content", specificly better than Firelands-epics as well as the first raids in MoP (yes, that has been datamined).

http://mop.wowhead.com/search?q=date%3A2012-06-29#items:50+2

I don't like attunements. I despise them. It had no place with Kara, I still don't see why it should have with any other raid as well.
But I still want progression, something which has been thrown out of the window since TotC and has been done NOTHING about.

I was happy when Blizzard announced LFR, because people finally could be able to experience the content without getting loot they clearly don't deserve.
However, as it is now, they DO get loot they don't deserve. So either Blizzard philosophy has changed (The one with "let people experience the content"), or Blizzard have kept it hidden since WLK (with a more appropiate one being "let people experience the content and feel powerfull").

Don't take it as an attack, but I still find this being a contradiction to Blizzard's philosophy of the game itself.
Not a lie, per say, just not telling the full truth.

Why do ppl that do LFR not deserve the loot that drops in there?
They spend time and they need to complete the fight dont they?

The epics in LFR are worse then Normal/HC so why dont casual players deserve a little progression with there gear in the LFR?
But the issue is not exactly the lack of content, but the increasingly lower difficulty of it.
Ever since WotLK raids get nerfed to the ground so that a very large part of the raiders, skilled or not so, can kill the what should be hardest boss of an expansion. wowprogress.com reports that as of today over 10% of all raid guilds have downed heroic Madness.

I'm pretty sure at least several hardcore guilds kinda agreed that Sinestra was as difficulty as HC LK, and Ragnaros was harder, so I wouldn't call that an "increasingly lower difficulty".

You mention 10% of all raid guilds have downed Heroic Madness. There's no reasonable argument to call that a "very large" number.

05/07/2012 11:28Posted by Mirun
So the developers want the game really to become a "wait and you will breath on the heroic boss and he'll be dead" kind of game.

If that's how you want to play the game, sure. If it's not, but someone else wants to, how does it affect you? How exactly does what others do in this game impact you?

LFR should be, the place for the easy kills, and it is.
Normal should be place for the top 90%+ of the community, and it is
Hardmode should be the place for the top 10%, wich isn't anymore so and gets so less and less.

So, basically, you're saying that rather than providing an ongoing challenge that you can slowly overcome (or rapidly, depending on your skill), the devs should rather focus on preventing 90% of the players from seeing a difficulty mode. That's one of the best ways I can think of to frustrate a lot of people.

05/07/2012 11:28Posted by Mirun
So in the end, making the game to easy, will achieve the oposite; less people will see the content, becuase there will simply be less people playing the game.

This is an argument I've seen thrown around plenty of times. Yet, Wrath of the Lich King, which seems to be considered by many hardcore players as the easiest expansion ever, had some of the highest participation rates in dungeons and raids we've ever seen. And, ironically enough, also had some of the hardest encounters to date (I remember the threads and headaches that some hardcore guilds were having at the time with Lich King and Putricide Heroic, as well as Yogg-Saron +0, Sarth 3D, just to name a few).