Has anyone noticed?

Argent Dawn
1 2 3 5 Next
Has anyone noticed that Blizzard has killed off all the major human characters or turned them neutral?
Just no
Notsureiftrolling.jpg

If so, i'll bite.

• Varian Wrynn - Anti-Horde, alive.
  • Jaina Proudmoore - Currently "Neutral", soon to be Anti-horde, alive

• I'm pretty sure the two most major human chars count. In current WoW at least.
    12/07/2012 10:02Posted by Sungrace
    Has anyone noticed that Blizzard has killed off all the major human characters or turned them neutral?

Sugac pls wer egte mur fohshaken
    Not really. Not really, no.
    In difference from the posters above, I can find myself to agree to some extent to this. Let's review:

Sir Anduin Lothar - Dead
    Uther the Lightbringer - Dead
    Daelin Proudmoore - Dead
    King Llane - Dead
    Medivh - Dead
    Aegwynn - Dead
    Terenas Menethil - Dead
    Arthas Menethil - Dead
    Alexandros Mograine - Dead
    Thoradin - Dead
    Reginald Windsor - Dead
    Antonidas - Dead
    Dathrohan - Dead
    Alonsus Faol - Dead
    Abbendis - Dead
    Edwin VanCleef - Dead
    Thoras Trollbane - Dead
    Aiden Perenolde - Dead
    Marshal Garithos - Dead
    Archbishop Benedictus - Dead
    Nielas Aran - Dead

Bolvar Fordragon - Lich King
    Darion Mograine - Ebon Blade
    Rhonin - Kirin Tor
    Jaina Proudmoore - Kirin Tor
    Khadgar - Kirin Tor
    Highlord Tirion Fordring - Argent Crusade
    Galen Trollbane - Undead, now affiliated with the Horde
    Kel'Thuzad - The Scourge

King Varian Wrynn - Alive
    Anduin Wrynn - Alive
    Genn Greymane - Alive
    General Marcus Jonathan - Alive
    Danath Trollbane - Alive

All these names were collected from the 'Notable humans' page on WoWPedia. Just by skimming it over I think we can say with fair certainty that the human race is indeed flailing.
    All these names were collected from the 'Notable humans' page on WoWPedia. Just by skimming it over I think we can say with fair certainty that the human race is indeed flailing.

Would you like to compile the same list for Orcs? Dwarves? Elves?

ALL races are flailing - and there's inevitably a consistent movement towards peace because the good guys have to be 'winning'.

For instance, I'll quickly go over some notable High/Blood Elves.

Dath'remar Sunstrider - Dead
    Anasterian Sunstrider - Dead
    Kael'Thas Sunstrider - Dead

Sylvanas Windrunner - Dead (now leader of the Forsaken)
    Alleria Windrunner - Missing presumed-showing-up-in-a-later-expansion

Aethas Sunreaver - Neutral (Kirin Tor)
    Lady Liadrin - Neutral(ish) (Sha'tar)
    Vereesa Windrunner - Now actually alliance (traitor!)
    Valeera Sanguinar - Also Alliance, despite actually being a Blood Elf.
    12/07/2012 10:37Posted by Eicarus
    Genn Greymane

FOR GILNEAS!
    Two can play this game too you know

Notable Orcs alive/killed:

Durotan - Dead
    Draka - Dead
    Garad - Dead
    Ogrim Doomhammer - Dead
    Blackhand the Destroyer - Dead
    Rend Blackhand - Dead
    Maim Blackhand - Dead
    Griselda Blackhand - Dead
    Grommash Hellscream - Dead
    Kargath Bladefist - Dead
    Kilrogg Deadeye - Dead
    Tagar Spinebreaker - Dead
    Zuluhed the Whacked - Dead
    Nekros Skullcrusher - Dead
    Ner'zhul - Dead/MIA
    Gul'dan - Dead
    Teron Gorefiend - Dead
    Broxigar - Dead
    Dranosh Saurfang - Dead

Thrall - Alive
    Greatmother Geyah - Alive??
    Drek'thar - Alive
    Garona Halforcen - Alive
    Garrosh Hellscream - Alive
    Varok Saurfang - Alive
    Nazgrel - Alive
    Eitrigg - Alive

My point is, every race in this game has its list of people like this, the dead list will only grow longer and longer as the current alive ones die. The dead list will always be longer than the alive list. Going by Eicarus's list above, have you actually counted which of them were already dead when WoW launched? And how many of them were introduced in WoW and are still kicking?
    Would you like to compile the same list for Orcs? Dwarves? Elves?

ALL races are flailing - and there's inevitably a consistent movement towards peace because the good guys have to be 'winning'.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing. All factions are seeing losses in terms of lore characters. But the human race, being arguably one of the largest sentient species in the Warcraft universe and hence the most widespread one, is most likely more prone to suffer per se. It makes sense if anything. The higher the population, the higher the death count.

I was merely putting substance to his post seeing as he had not done so himself, in the hopes of a more intelligible conversation rather than "Notsureiftrolling.jpg"
    I wish people would stop naming characters as noteable when they aren't =/

Draka
    Durotan
    Niels Aran
    Vereesa Windrunner
    Edwin Vancleef and Rhonin are not noteable characters.
    And in retaliation to this I say that this has nothing to do with humanity. This is just Blizzard's poor adaptation of their writing skills from the RTS games into the MMORPG genre. Their skills at writing WoW are getting up to the shape it needs to be in, but their inability to create new lore characters has clearly taken it's toll.

As such, Blizzard has largely relied on old characters and most of them have been either killed off or they have been turned neutral for the sake of keeping a balance between the Horde and the Alliance in terms of gameplay (E.G. Turning the Kirin Tor into a neutral party so that the Horde and Alliance could share the Dalaran Hub when really they could have created something new, like with Shatt.

This is even more evident when you take a look at how they have handled raid bosses. Quite a lot of them have had to be invented for the sake of the raid and frankly, there's a lot of great ideas at play there. I especially love the idea of a Blind Dragon that also happens to be more powerful than average dragons. That alone could have made for some great lore.

Problem is that Blizzard kills off these characters before we get to know them or anything about them. The only investment we really feel tends to come from nostalgia. Either remembering them from previous games or you've raided them so much that you have nostalgia for them.

As such, Blizzard is faced with a massive dilemma. How do they balance out the lore characters between the alliance and the horde, how do they keep the game balanced in terms of availability and how do they come up with new villains without having to kill them off.

For the first three expansions, the answers have been. Let's just not add many more, we'll pull from our reserves and screw it, that's too hard.

So, it's not a strictly human thing. It's all of the lore characters that are wrapped in the problems of Blizzard's failure to adapt quickly enough to writing a completely different game genre.

Niels Aran

Didn't you hear? He's no simple jester. HE IS NIELAS ARAN!

(Love that guy <3)
    In difference from the posters above, I can find myself to agree to some extent to this. Let's review:

Sir Anduin Lothar - Dead
    Uther the Lightbringer - Dead
    Daelin Proudmoore - Dead
    King Llane - Dead
    Medivh - Dead
    Aegwynn - Dead
    Terenas Menethil - Dead
    Arthas Menethil - Dead
    Alexandros Mograine - Dead
    Thoradin - Dead
    Reginald Windsor - Dead
    Antonidas - Dead
    Dathrohan - Dead
    Alonsus Faol - Dead
    Abbendis - Dead
    Edwin VanCleef - Dead
    Thoras Trollbane - Dead
    Danath Trollbane - Dead
    Aiden Perenolde - Dead
    Marshal Garithos - Dead
    Archbishop Benedictus - Dead
    Nielas Aran - Dead

Bolvar Fordragon - Lich King
    Darion Mograine - Ebon Blade
    Rhonin - Kirin Tor
    Jaina Proudmoore - Kirin Tor
    Khadgar - Kirin Tor
    Highlord Tirion Fordring - Argent Crusade
    Galen Trollbane - Undead, now affiliated with the Horde
    Kel'Thuzad - The Scourge

King Varian Wrynn - Alive
    Anduin Wrynn - Alive
    Genn Greymane - Alive
    General Marcus Jonathan - Alive

Good sir you saved me alot of time!

Perhaps the way I started the thread can almost look a little troll-ish, but I believe it's a topic worth to discuss! Though most are dead, are there not also a few MIA? Taking Turalyon for example, he went to kick some demon !@# yet none has heard of him since?

Notable Orcs alive/killed:

Durotan - Dead
    Draka - Dead
    Broxigar - Dead
    Thrall - Alive
    Garona Halforcen - Alive

Now, if only we could wipe out this bit of Orcish history.
    Really...? REALLY? I thought we had gotten over that whole "omg blizz h8s the alliance/horde QQ" about a year ago.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/131/351/eb6.jpg?1307463786
    I wish people would stop naming characters as noteable when they aren't =/
    Edwin Vancleef..

Oi.
    Show some guddam respect.
    12/07/2012 10:53Posted by Hazè
    Drek'thar - Alive

Might be worth noting he now sits in a wheelchair, IIRC. Probably not going to last for too long.

12/07/2012 10:53Posted by Hazè
    Garrosh Hellscream - Alive

Soon-to-be dead.

12/07/2012 10:37Posted by Eicarus
    Thoradin - Dead

He lived a long, long -long- time ago, though.
    Really...? REALLY? I thought we had gotten over that whole "omg blizz h8s the alliance/horde QQ" about a year ago.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/131/351/eb6.jpg?1307463786

http://img.ponibooru.org/_images/994065ca304ea45a5873c491b020b2b2/77190%20-%20apple%20luna%20luna_eclipsed%20memeception%20season_2%20thou_must_be_new_here%20Trolluna%20you_must_be_new_here.jpg
    12/07/2012 11:15Posted by Vatsug

Having any sort of assumptions on quality or knowledge when coming to the Argent Dawn forums is a rather hefty thing to hope for.

I wouldn't define this as whining however. The OP voiced the fact that a majority of all humans in the Warcraft universe are either dead or neutral - which is entirely true. The fact that pretty much every faction as sustained noteable losses is also true, but it makes his statement that the human race is losing prominent individuals hand over fist no less real.

This isn't some sort of faction-pride QQ thread. If you want one of those, try the lore/story forum?