Why are the 'Character Transfer' fees so high ?

General
Considering the fact that we have to PAY for every expansion pack and also a monthly fee why are the costs of a service like the "server transfer" so high ?

20EUR is a lot for just running some transfer scripts. I can understand that if it would be a free service players would be switching servers all the time (creating extra stress for servers etc), but c'mon 20EUR ? 20EUR for each character ? At least make it 5EUR or some reasonable price.

Also maybe payers should get a free transfer for every 6 months of payed game time as a "good customer" bonus or something.
if people kept jumping realms, then the game would come unbalanced.
16/10/2012 12:51Posted by Tuuchi

Apparently that doesn't happen on China realms :p

There already are mechanics in place to prevent this, such as a gold limit that you can bring with you.
Another mechanic could be that a character can only realm change once each 4 weeks, adding 1 week per transfer already done for that character.

It could also be 10EUR instead of 20 or 5. Or 20EUR + 5 for each additional character.
Or it could be one free transfer every 6 months, like the OP suggests.
i really think bliz should do deal packages once in a while like.
75% off if you faction change from horde to aliance or other way arround on certain realms.

Due for example faction balance or realm balance.

ofc not at cost off less free transfers.
But more to keep realms balanced so we won't need a free transfer in the future.

I am against realm transfers, race change, faction change, and the like. Blizzard want to discourage it (but not completely disable it) by asking money for it. In my opinion rightfully.

That's very true, however, people wouldnt start to ''keep jumping realms'' if the fee were to be lowered to say €5 or €10, all it would do is remotely represent the actual cost of the service. If I were to move my characters to a diffirent server it'd cost me €220, everyone will agree that that's absurd, €55 is a more reasonable price for moving all my characters and it's showing a bit of respect and courtesy to your customers, something Blizzard doesn't seem to understand any more. They have to make money, yes, and treating loyal customers well should be one of their concerns, sad to see how they have changed from a respectable company making amazing games to... Diablo 3 :-/
I honestly think and still not to late that bliz make realm faction changes all free for like a month.
so stuff can balance out, They should do that at start off every expansion.

Like now lot people might come back sudenly on high populated realm, Their might just be same amount comming back in 1 go that was playing before doubling activity

That would be true if we would already have some kind of balance - which for example on my realm dose not exist.

When I started here (during the BC times) with some friends the horde/alliance ratio was 55%-45% making the PVP pretty fair, now the things changed and it's about 25%-75%. I almost have no desire at all to play here anymore when I see all quest places overrun by the alliance. Having 5-6 characters, moving them to another realm = at least 100 EUR. I guess that quitting is cheaper.

EDIT: Yes, this is a whine :P But it's legit.
I wouldn't mind a 20 euro for a transfer but in this age most people have alot of alts, rely on other characters for professions or fill in different roles in raid so paying 20 euro for EACH character seems a bit exaggerated.
When this service was implemented it made sense because most people had one main character.

They should apply the fee for the whole transfer (select home and destination realms, check what characters you want to transfer, pay the 20e fee), i think alot more people would use this service like this.
16/10/2012 13:01Posted by Kolendaa

I am against realm transfers, race change, faction change, and the like. Blizzard want to discourage it (but not completely disable it) by asking money for it. In my opinion rightfully.

With all due respect, this is very naive. Blizzard is a company that needs to make money like all other companies. This is one of the ways to make money.

As long as WoW remains popular, don't expect to see any changes in the price for services like these. If the demand is there, and enough are willing to pay for it, why should they lower the cost?
In all honesty, these kind of questions won't be answered 100% correctly unless the person posting (including myself) has worked for Blizzard and knows their intentions. That said, the only way to truly find out is to be an employee of Blizzard Entertainment. Community Managers could give you their Top 9 Lists of How and Why we price our Products, but the community would respond "BS". It's just our way to take everything they say as fecal matter oozing from their lips.

Fortunately that's not the entire community. But questioning their motives is a bad thing. They'll tell you that it's because they want to make money. Fair does. But what will the reply be?

"why blizz no meek cheepr"

"why price so hi blizz fix"

"make free blizz u make 2 much monies already!!!1!11111"

16/10/2012 14:25Posted by Ilnora
If the demand is there, and enough are willing to pay for it, why should they lower the cost?

This. A thousand times this. If people are willing to pay such a price and people have no problem with it (Blizzard see it as "working as intended" for all they can see), they'll keep it that way. If it's a hot topic, they'll keep it that way. If it's reduced, it'll only be asked to be reduced until it's free and wipes your butt for you.

So to summarize:

1) Because Blizzard can price it however they like. It's their game.
2) People pay these prices. If you're that desperate for the realm change, you'll pay.
3) Life sucks, so give it a straw and be patient.

That's all there is to it I'm afraid. I'm just glad it's around for in case I do need a lifeboat out of Hell.
Here it's £12 just to chance the features of your character, should be free, a sex change should be like 1-2k gold IN GAME not £12.

It's a disgrace
Say they half the costs - there would still be people who complain 10 euro for a race change/transfer is too much; 5 euro for a name change/customization is too high...

People who already pay frequently for such services now would continue to but would have them cheaper then which means less income for Blizzard.
People who don't use these services now cause of monetary reasons wouldn't suddenly start using them every other week cause they are half price. They may buy one or two, but that would be it.
I recently came back to WoW to play MoP.

Technically, I have never left it as I purchased Annual Pass when it came out and it hasn't run out yet. Isn't Blizzard clever with timing? :) But the truth is I haven't played in like 2 years.

When I was away I played many different games, met many cool people, formed a great small community with them and now I'd love to create a guild with them in this game. especially, that some of them have WoW accounts be it active or not.

But here is the problem. Many of us have multiple alts and we play on different servers and factions. The transfer prices are absolutely discouraging and make convincing people they we should try WoW again very difficult.

Going a little bit off-topic I personally love MoP setting and Pandaren. I have hoped for a long time I'll be able to play a Pandaren Brewmaster :) I never understood all the negativity towards the setting and people playing this game are now most likely convinced Pandaria was a right choice for an expansion. i admire Blizzard for courage - things like re-working the old world or going into a new direction with the lore are something that show they have balls to try new things.

But the Kung-Fu Panda stereotype is still out there. Letting people see the game for themselves would help immensely. Many of those who left would probably try but the transfer fees are as the OP says ridiculous. I have 5 characters and I'd need to pay £75 to transfer them all. That is simply too much. Even if I am willing to do it I don't know any other person that would and a fresh start is not something people who played this game for years should be doing.

I'm currently levelling a Monk on a new realm. I'm not in a hurry and I'm having a blast. I never got to do the Cata quests so now I have a nice opportunity to do it. But lets be honest - levelling, even without heirlooms, even doing all quests along the line, ends relatively quickly. Especially that when I hit outland I will speed up.

Sadly, for the reasons mentioned in the beginning of my post i'm not eligible for Scroll of Ressurection. And even if I was - 1 character transfer is not enough.

Please lower / remove server transfer and faction change fees / give one server transfer/faction change allowance per year for all characters / make the fee cover all alts.

I think you would grow sub numbers if you did that Blizz.
Why are they so high? Because people are willing to pay for it that's the only reason. It's a very quick and dirty way of making extra money. I don't use the services very often so meh but digital services like that are ALWAYS overpriced. In the end it's a completely automated service that just rewrites a couple of lines of code.

As the person above me stated most of this stuff should be in-game for gold not on your account page for real cash. It's a pretty sad state of affairs if you think about it.
16/10/2012 12:46Posted by Tempestozaur
20EUR

It didn't use to be that high. I've moved 4 chars, but it was a while ago and over some period of time.

The price back then was 6.99 Euro. This new and improved price can only be to squeeze more money out of you. Blizzard is really milking the players. Their subscription numbers have surely gone up since then, and this price has almost tripled. Income just from player transfers alone must be great business for Blizzard.

I was looking into maybe transferring to a PvE realm because of the excessive ganking cross-realm zones have brought to PvP servers. I have several chars on my server but these prices are rediculous. I'm trapped on a PvP server whether I want to or not, unless I cough up 20 Euro for every char. Absolutely pathetic.
16/10/2012 14:25Posted by Ilnora

With all due respect, this is very naive. Blizzard is a company that needs to make money like all other companies. This is one of the ways to make money.

Okay, I may have presented is as a fact, while actually it is my assumption about which it is not known whether it is true or false.

Pure technically there is no reason to charge the services discussed in this topic: gender change, faction change, race change, realm change, because these services are free on Closed Beta and PTR. It is just changing some data in the realm and character databases. So Blizzard doesn't have costs or it is minor (to develop this system and maintain it).

But why are player charged? The only thing I could think of is discouragement. Blizzard may think: "We actually don't like players to change faction, race, etc. for whatever reason, but we also don't want to completely disable them to do it. So we are going to charge the related services." That is what Blizzard may think. And I don't think that the reason is that players desperately want it. When MoP went live, I desperately wanted to create a Pandaren Monk, but I don't pay a cent more than when I would create a Night Elf or a Tauren Druid. There is no reason to discourage players to create Monk, but there seems to be a reason to discourage players to change the faction, the sex, the gender or the realm of their char(s).

So, why would this above be naive?
Because Bobby said so.
if you make a lot of cash from selling stuff, would you stop doing so for political reasons ? :P

i believe this is what you would call "milking the cow"

this has nothing do to with balancing servers, they could work in some features if they wanted.
16/10/2012 15:22Posted by Jixey
Here it's £12 just to chance the features of your character, should be free, a sex change should be like 1-2k gold IN GAME not £12.

Agreed. Services such as realm xfer I can understand coming with a fee. Trivial things such as characters appearance should come free, no doubt. It's insulting considering we pay so much per month.