Making Starting Zones Optional

General
Can we please have the option of -not- doing a starting zone?

I personally don't feel that I'm properly in the world when I'm in one, if you get me. If I had a level 7 blood elf questing through Eversong, I'd feel properly in the world, but a level 7 goblin on the Lost Isles, it doesn't feel that way. Even worse for Pandaren who can't even join a guild to chat with people until they've finished theirs.

Also, they can frankly get quite boring after you've went through them a few times, and it would be nice to just have the option of leveling in other zones if you wish.

And I don't mean a goblin skipping to level 13 with all the gear, I mean a goblin being plonked in Durotar at level 1. Would get me much more motivated to make more characters.
Can we please have the option of -not- doing a starting zone?

I personally don't feel that I'm properly in the world when I'm in one, if you get me. If I had a level 7 blood elf questing through Eversong, I'd feel properly in the world, but a level 7 goblin on the Lost Isles, it doesn't feel that way. Even worse for Pandaren who can't even join a guild to chat with people until they've finished theirs.

Also, they can frankly get quite boring after you've went through them a few times, and it would be nice to just have the option of leveling in other zones if you wish.

And I don't mean a goblin skipping to level 13 with all the gear, I mean a goblin being plonked in Durotar at level 1. Would get me much more motivated to make more characters.

But it takes 10 minutes tops to clear the starter zone so what is the problem.... That is assuming its the same number of quests that involve kill something, kill something else, train something, kill several more things, revive several things, collect several things, extinguish several things and then kill big bad guy and now you are discharged. Fastest 5,6,7 levels in the game. I even kited the elite mob to Northshire Abbey last night for a bit of fun. Its not hard is it. And as to panda folk, most won't have played the race before so how is that more of a problem. As to Goblins, well I did try it once but gave up cus it had the feel of a Nintendo game for kiddies..... At least they gave everyone a mailbox so they can gear up from level 1. So funny that.
I'm talking about the entire closed starting zones. That's 1-13 for goblins and pandaren, and 1-11 for worgen. This takes a lot more than 10 minutes. It would be the equivalent of leveling completely through Elwynn Forest, and most of Westfall.
16/10/2012 13:56Posted by Krazzik
I'm talking about the entire closed starting zones. That's 1-13 for goblins and pandaren, and 1-11 for worgen. This takes a lot more than 10 minutes. It would be the equivalent of leveling completely through Elwynn Forest, and most of Westfall.

Then get a lock guildie to summon you to a different zone (or the guild perk ofc). Either way, you can clear 1-20 in less than 2 hours.
I would like the opposite way. I would like to lock up level 1-5 chars in their starting zone (for Humans that would be Northshire Abbey, for Night Elves Aldrassil, for Tauren Red Cloud Mesa, etc.). A char must be level 10 to have access to a capital city.

That will also tone down level 1 chars who wants to sell gold.

So I am into introducing restrictions for low level char when it comes to zone and chat access. This already happened to Goblins, Worgen and Pandaren, so I would like to have it for all races.
I hated the pandaren starting zone. First of all, I would have liked access to my looms, because it sure as hell was the hardest questing I have done since TBC (maybe thats because I made a shaman). And the storyline was completely dull until the last phase. Everything up to that was me training like a monk while only being able to shoot lightning bolts :P

I still wouldn't have chosen a different starting zone if I could, because I wanted to see it at least once. But if I ever decide to make another panda, those hours will become very dreadful and boring.
16/10/2012 13:36Posted by Krazzik
Even worse for Pandaren who can't even join a guild to chat with people until they've finished theirs.

I totally understand what you mean, but just think for a second lore wise...

Pandaren - You're not part of the world.. In fact as a Pandaren in the beginning you don't even realise the rest of Azeroth exists. Same with the Goblins

The Worgen actively isolated themselves from the rest of the world too so it all actually fits the story.

Death Knights work for the Lich King at the beginning, so being part of the world is simply wrong as you are actually at war with both Horde and Alliance.

Though, from a gameplay aspect I do understand that you want to join your guild ASAP, but as said before, it doesn't really take that long to get through the 1-10 start zones.
16/10/2012 14:06Posted by Meckina
Then get a lock guildie to summon you to a different zone (or the guild perk ofc). Either way, you can clear 1-20 in less than 2 hours.

That doesn't work, you can't summon someone out of their starting zone, they -have- to finish all the quests. And while maybe some people can level that quickly, personally it takes me a good few hours to get from 1-20, and finishing the starting zone alone would likely take me an hour and a half-two hours at the very least. A fair amount of time to do something I don't really want to be doing.

As for the restrictions, they seem pretty harsh, limiting choice for people even more. What's wrong with a blood elf levelling in Tirisfal Glades? I understand about helping against gold sellers, but you shouldn't punish the majority because of the acts of the minority.
16/10/2012 14:15Posted by Krillchiron
Even worse for Pandaren who can't even join a guild to chat with people until they've finished theirs.

I totally understand what you mean, but just think for a second lore wise...

Pandaren - You're not part of the world.. In fact as a Pandaren in the beginning you don't even realise the rest of Azeroth exists. Same with the Goblins

The Worgen actively isolated themselves from the rest of the world too so it all actually fits the story.

Death Knights work for the Lich King at the beginning, so being part of the world is simply wrong as you are actually at war with both Horde and Alliance.

Though, from a gameplay aspect I do understand that you want to join your guild ASAP, but as said before, it doesn't really take that long to get through the 1-10 start zones.

what this guy said.

it takes an hour to get to level 10-12 and finish the starting zone.
Would people please stop telling others how long it takes to finish starting zones, some people take longer to level than others.

Also, Goblins aren't isolated from the rest of the world, the goblins of Kezan almost certainly know about the rest of Azeroth, and likely have trade routes with other races.

Anyhoo, about it not fitting lorewise, you can just say your goblin finished the starting zone lorewise and left, it's only game mechanics that say you're level 1. Alternatively, you could just be a level 1 goblin in the present time, since all starting zones happened in the past, fresh goblins gotta train somewhere.