Absurd faction and race change prices

General
I totally agree with you , we already pay loads for expansions and pay every month to play,
but when you want to change your character where you already pay loads for is just strange
i can understand that blizzard doesent wanna make it free since everyone would be moving like crazy, but 20 euro's is alot of money.
08/01/2013 19:47Posted by Zeus
Simple business reason. Because people pay it. Everyone whines and complains but they all still pay it. No need to decrease price and decrease profit if people pay it anyway and don't start saying that a few of you are going to buy it if it's cheaper, they still make the most amount of money from this price.

Neither you nor Blizzard can know for sure if decreasing server change fee's would decrease or increase total profit. But let's assmue you are right.

Keeping the pricing as it is already, would still make the people who already pay this price for this service keep paying for it. If you add a bundle price every 6 months, you will get an additional income. This time from people who wouldn't have paid the price as it is now, and might even quit (thus giving no income at all).

So you would have an all year around 20€ per toon transfer fee, and in addition you would have a bundled price for say 50€ to move as many toons as you want (from one server) once every 6 months (based on what date the account was made).

You still wouldn't lose the "I like to pay 20€ per toon and move NOW" people. But you will also gain profit from people who would never ever pay 20€ per toon.
08/01/2013 19:57Posted by Ravinna
Simple business reason. Because people pay it. Everyone whines and complains but they all still pay it. No need to decrease price and decrease profit if people pay it anyway and don't start saying that a few of you are going to buy it if it's cheaper, they still make the most amount of money from this price.

Neither you nor Blizzard can know for sure if decreasing server change fee's would decrease or increase total profit. But let's assmue you are right.

Stopped reading there. You obviously don't know anything about business and I'm not going to argue with 'gamers' or 'nerds' about it who use their own logic.
08/01/2013 20:00Posted by Zeus

Stopped reading there. You obviously don't know anything about business and I'm not going to argue with 'gamers' or 'nerds' about it who use their own logic.

I'd say I just bursted your bubble, and that's why you don't wanna read anymore.

By your so called logic, Blizzard should charge 100€ per month for people to access their servers. Because there is people who would pay that. And in no way is it possible to earn more profit by lowering the price, thus reaching out to more people that will pay for the services. Right?

You are acting like the kid with the toy I described earlier. You don't need it, so you don't want anyone else to have it either.
they won't make it free or else some servers will be empty in a matter of a week while other servers getting way too overcrowded.

if there's 1% chance to reduce the transfer cost to 0 then why did they implement CRZ ???

sad :)
20 euros is trash in the UK, 16 pounds lol people wipe their asses with 16 pounds.
When you need a server transfer like you need a loaf of bread, then you're welcome to complain.
The only people who complains over something getting cheaper is people who have no use for cheaper prices (i.e people who are happy where they are), but for some reason simply don't want others to have it either. It's a very childish way to see things. Kind of like a kid who doesn't want to play with a toy, but he refuse to let anyone else play with it either.
Funny thing that, a few guilds im in have just moved to different realms, so i could quite easily move most if not all of my toons to one realm or another, so that analogy doesnt really hold water for me.

What I can tell you is that both guilds in question went from our realm with a factional imbalance (of about 7-1 against horde) medium realm to slightly more balanced, but full realms. And looking at it logically the more people move off dead realms the more preasure it puts on the full ones, till everyone has to turn around (like previous threads ive seen) and say "WTF blizz, I have to que to get onto this realm i just paid for a transfer to, OMG, like, what do we pay you guys for..." etc. etc. ad infinitum.
By your so called logic, Blizzard should charge 100€ per month for people to access their servers. Because there is people who would pay that. And in no way is it possible to earn more profit by lowering the price, thus reaching out to more people that will pay for the services. Right?

You are acting like the kid with the toy I described earlier. You don't need it, so you don't want anyone else to have it either.
You like trotting out terms like 'so called logic' and kids with toys analogies without seeming to understand how businesses actually work.
Lets try a different example then, I'm selling cars, but they arent ferraris so i'm not gonna be able to charge $1,000,000 for em (thats your 100 euros comparison), but I can quite comfortably sell em for $20,000 each. Now what your saying is I could sell loads more for $10k, I might, or might not but ive got overheads and everything, and more importantly, the market will stand $20k so thats where I pitch it.

I'm not being some idealistic fool thinking of some utopian 'transfer at will' (or very low cost) society that everyone would love, I'm just trying to explain to you why I think its not gonna happen. And pointing it out to you isnt because of some childish jealousy or whatever reason you seem to think. its just trying to point out things that you might not think/might have missed (Knowledge is power, right?).
Funny thing that, a few guilds im in have just moved to different realms, so i could quite easily move most if not all of my toons to one realm or another, so that analogy doesnt really hold water for me.

What I can tell you is that both guilds in question went from our realm with a factional imbalance (of about 7-1 against horde) medium realm to slightly more balanced, but full realms. And looking at it logically the more people move off dead realms the more preasure it puts on the full ones, till everyone has to turn around (like previous threads ive seen) and say "WTF blizz, I have to que to get onto this realm i just paid for a transfer to, OMG, like, what do we pay you guys for..." etc. etc. ad infinitum.

08/01/2013 19:38Posted by Ravinna
Blizzard would be able to control who moves where. They could easily make it so that horde can't transfer to a horde heavy server for example.

08/01/2013 20:37Posted by Dysnomia

It still holds true. Because in one way or another, the high price doesn't bother you. Whether it's because you don't need to change server, or because you can easily pay 220€ to move your toons is irellevant. Point is that you are not in the position where you feel that you need to change server to get the same gaming experience as others have, but aren't able to pay for it.

So again. The people the complains for something getting a bit cheaper are the ones it doesn't effect for one reason or another.

As for the rest of us. I have no need to change server, so the prices doesn't personally effect me. However I have sympathy for the people it does effect and who can't server transfer because of the rediculus fee's they would have to pay. Some people, I even dare to say most people, have some kind of compassion for other peoples situations even if it doesn't effect us personally.

Even though that is a trait that is poorly reflected in this game and especially on this forum.

08/01/2013 20:37Posted by Dysnomia
I'm not being some idealistic fool thinking of some utopian 'transfer at will' (or very low cost) society that everyone would love, I'm just trying to explain to you why I think its not gonna happen.

As I said
So you would have an all year around 20€ per toon transfer fee, and in addition you would have a bundled price for say 50€ to move as many toons as you want (from one server) once every 6 months (based on what date the account was made).

You still wouldn't lose the "I like to pay 20€ per toon and move NOW" people. But you will also gain profit from people who would never ever pay 20€ per toon.

There is no logical reason (that I can think of) for Blizzard to not want to atleast try to make their customers happy with some kind of system like the above. Except for this
08/01/2013 19:38Posted by Ravinna
However, it would eventually lead to that low pop servers will become even less populated. Which would in turn eventually lead to them beeing forced to close down a few servers. Basically it would be a player initiated server merge, which Blizzard doesn't want.

And even if they in short sight should lose a few coins on tranfer fee's, I believe it would atleast even out in the end by fewer players quitting.
It's been a common concern for quite some time. At the end of the day, many rival MMO's are offering the same services for free. A reduced price would be a very welcome thing, especially considering how we're already paying a subscription fee.

I'd also point out that the services are not nearly as 'optional' in certain cases as one may initially believe. There's many reasons as to why someone may need to transfer elsewhere, particularly if they're subjected to repeated harassment and bullying.
So again. The people the complains for something getting a bit cheaper are the ones it doesn't effect for one reason or another.

As for the rest of us. I have no need to change server, so the prices doesn't personally effect me. However I have sympathy for the people it does effect and who can't server transfer because of the rediculus fee's they would have to pay.
So me trying to raise logical points with you to counter your argument is because of my lack of empathy for other players? How about these guys?

08/01/2013 20:18Posted by Fucdup
they won't make it free or else some servers will be empty in a matter of a week while other servers getting way too overcrowded.
08/01/2013 20:36Posted by Mertie
When you need a server transfer like you need a loaf of bread, then you're welcome to complain.
Ah, the neverending price-discussion.

Where it always seems that no one is willing to pay the set price, but obviously enough people do to keep it interesting for Blizzard.

And at the end of the day someone has probably spent a lot of money on market reasearch to find the prices at which to set their services, and I think you know who it was...
08/01/2013 21:32Posted by Dysnomia

Again, it's very easy for blizzard to control who moves where. Not over populate already healthy servers and prevent unbalanced faction servers.

Some servers would get empty, I already said that. But that's also natural when less player over all is playing. Blizzard is currently keeping more servers than needed open, and keeping players on low pop servers with the help of high transer fee's isn't changing that.

That's a rather dull way to put it don't you think? You can argue like that about anything.

Where it always seems that no one is willing to pay the set price, but obviously enough people do to keep it interesting for Blizzard.

Define enough. Enough to make Blizzard happy perhaps. But any company that blantantly ignore whether their customers are happy or not are bound to lose customers.

I have a really hard time seeing people rage quit over lower server transfer fee's, but it's not too hard to see people who are fed up with beeing on unhealthy servers quitting rather than spend an amount equal to 1 year subscription to move all there toons.

I'd say I just bursted your bubble, and that's why you don't wanna read anymore.

I actually stopped reading because you are talking out of your !@# and have no clue whatsoever regarding management accounting and nor am I talking about my opinion. It's actually called having a basic understanding of how pricing works in business but by all means think whatever you want. Not going to educate kids on WoW honestly.

I actually stopped reading because you are talking out of your !@# and have no clue whatsoever regarding management accounting and nor am I talking about my opinion. It's actually called having a basic understanding of how pricing works in business but by all means think whatever you want. Not going to educate kids on WoW honestly.

And also trying to reason with a fanboi is pointless. There is a lot of you who will never admit that anything blizzard does can be wrong.

You haven't given a single valid argument, besides claiming basic understanding when it comes to pricing. Welcome to the internet, where everyone has a business degree and a lawyer in their back pocket. Without any solid reasoning or arguments, your claim of business knowledge falls short.

And also trying to reason with a fanboi is pointless. There is a lot of you who will never admit that anything blizzard does can be wrong.

You haven't given a single valid argument, besides claiming basic understanding when it comes to pricing. Welcome to the internet, where everyone has a business degree and a lawyer in their back pocket. Without any solid reasoning or arguments, your claim of business knowledge falls short.

How am I a fanboy? Because I understand how a business works?
Sure, they should make transfers free or reduce prices because it's unfair, so?
I actually do have a business degree and no I won't waste my time explaining or giving valid points because as you said, it's the internet and a bunch of clueless morons are going to argue without knowing what they are talking about since, again as you said, 'everyone has a business degree'. I just said that from Blizzard's point of view they have the price because of a reason. They are completely profit driven and they will never do something for free simply because they 'love gamers' or their customers.
I already explained in another post crying about low pop realms that they will never merge realms because of the income they make from transfers, because people actually do pay the money because they simply can't bear being on a realm with nobody in a city or they can't bear leveling a completely new character from scratch. It is some kind of trap to some extent, having empty realms as start realms and when players ding 90 they realize they need to transfer. Or giving free transfers to full realms to dead realms and after some time those players realize that being on a dead realm is no fun and pay money to transfer to a populated realm again. It's all about making money and nothing is ever about helping players. Giving free transfers has never helped a dead realm. It is impossible to make fill a dead realm from free transfers alone but people think it does anything when half the people actually go again after a few weeks.
You complained about too high prices (which is true) and I said that they won't lower it because they only care about money which is true. I don't see where your problem is.

I actually do have a business degree and no I won't waste my time explaining or giving valid points because as you said, it's the internet and a bunch of clueless morons are going to argue without knowing what they are talking about since, again as you said, 'everyone has a business degree'. I just said that from Blizzard's point of view they have the price because of a reason. They are completely profit driven and they will never do something for free simply because they 'love gamers' or their customers.
I already explained in another post crying about low pop realms that they will never merge realms because of the income they make from transfers, because people actually do pay the money because they simply can't bear being on a realm with nobody in a city or they can't bear leveling a completely new character from scratch. It is some kind of trap to some extent, having empty realms as start realms and when players ding 90 they realize they need to transfer. Or giving free transfers to full realms to dead realms and after some time those players realize that being on a dead realm is no fun and pay money to transfer to a populated realm again. It's all about making money and nothing is ever about helping players. Giving free transfers has never helped a dead realm. It is impossible to make fill a dead realm from free transfers alone but people think it does anything when half the people actually go again after a few weeks.
You complained about too high prices (which is true) and I said that they won't lower it because they only care about money which is true. I don't see where your problem is.

My problem is your attitude, to begin with. I understand profit, and never once did I claim they could fill up empty realms with free tranfers.

However I said they can make more profit by offering bulk tranfers, maybe once per year. The players who is already paying the full price to be able to move imidietly will still do so.

If you understand business, you also understand that driving your customers away is not a good thing?

Oh and no one really need an explaination why blizzard take these fee's. However Blizzard themselves always claim it's for one reason or another, usually something in the line with "it's for your own good", it's never for the money though (according to themselves).

However, we normal mortals have really no reason to be against lower prices. As it doesn't effect anyone in a bad way. And thats where the kid/toy comes in.
08/01/2013 19:57Posted by Ravinna

Keeping the pricing as it is already, would still make the people who already pay this price for this service keep paying for it. If you add a bundle price every 6 months, you will get an additional income. This time from people who wouldn't have paid the price as it is now, and might even quit (thus giving no income at all).

Sorry mate, but I will never pay for realm transfer. It should be free with some CD. If blizz will not fix dead realms problem realy fast (I have 4 months 2 go) I will switch games not realms. There are many realy nice and interesting games, I real dont need to spend whole life in one game, and for sure I dont wanna spend in game which owners spit in my face...
Oh, yeah. I didn't read anything in this thread. But that's true, Blizzard is milking shamelessly. The price of those services isn't nowhere in line with the work they actually cause. Bad english, but I hope you understand what I mean.
Agree. No reason for these prices other than to milk your customers and spit them in the face.

My problem is your attitude, to begin with. I understand profit, and never once did I claim they could fill up empty realms with free tranfers.

However I said they can make more profit by offering bulk tranfers, maybe once per year. The players who is already paying the full price to be able to move imidietly will still do so.

If you understand business, you also understand that driving your customers away is not a good thing?

Oh and no one really need an explaination why blizzard take these fee's. However Blizzard themselves always claim it's for one reason or another, usually something in the line with "it's for your own good", it's never for the money though (according to themselves).

However, we normal mortals have really no reason to be against lower prices. As it doesn't effect anyone in a bad way. And thats where the kid/toy comes in.

I don't get what you mean with bundle.
And I doubt your figures were correct. You said if they halved prize they'd get double the requests. That's far from right. Transfer is quite inelastic simply because players need it. This means that no matter how high the price, people would buy it and right now the price is actually extermely high but players are just used to it. People do not realize that they are paying an insane amount for something that has barely any cost for Blizzard. It is comparable to drugs to an extent. People will buy it if they need it no matter the price. If a guy logs on to a dead realm and sees 0 people in Stormwind, he's going to buy the transfer even if it was £25 simply because he can't play like this. And for the price of a transfer you could easily buy 3 extremely good games.
Even though it is expensive quite a lot of players do pay the price whether they like it or not. So they would probably only get an 25% increase in requests and not double which would turn out to be less income than they get now.

You should know that players do have money and they use it all the time. I can give you examples of different kinds of players. There are plenty of 'achievement !@#$%s' or collectors who buy every single pet and mount on the blizzard store no matter what it looks like, simply because they want to have 1 more mount even though they will not use it.
There are a lot of 'fanbois' who watch streams such as Athene's or Swiftys and transfer to whatever realm those 'WoW celebs' go to. There has been a queue recently on Stormscale simply because that guy Swifty made a level 1 character there. Plenty of players have transferred there because of this. There are many more cases that show that WoW players have the cash to pay, especially since WoW costs a sub and they obviously must have an income to pay the sub and if they have a stable income that they use to pay for a game they have the money to pay for a transfer if they feel they have no other choice, such as being on a dead realm.

I agree it should be cheaper, I'm just saying that making it cheaper wouldn't increase their income. You also said a company shoudn't drive customers away. I'm not sure what you meant but I assume you are trying to imply that customers who do not agree with the price will quit. Well they don't. Many players stay with WoW no matter what or just stay until they got the money to transfer. If people genuinely quit every time they disagreed with something WoW wouldn't be #1 MMORPG but sadly because players are addicted or have no self control it'll always be #1. There may be a few people who quit because of this but it's insanely few and you should know that a Blizzard cares about the masses, they don't balance or change things for only a few unhappy players who will probably come back next patch, or expansion or after a few days because they're addicted and calmed down from being angry.