Changing the way flying mounts work

General
I just realized something. The very subject title is 'Removing flying mounts in Azeroth'. I understand why I this caused some confusion, my fault. I was just reading late last night and thought I'd bring up the conversation here but that's not really what I was aiming at.

So I'll edit the subject title promptly. See my above post - I'm not suggesting to remove them.
Or they could just add mounted combat by making all mounts vehicles and throwing in some abilities. Make which mount you have a tactical descision.
how about that we cant use them in azeroth? just like tbc/wotlk?? we can only use them In pandraia/northrend/outland / cata zones
I miss those days where I would pass many players on my travels to a specific somewhere. Meeting new players on the road to and from quests and raids. I recognised most of the names on my server back then. Sometimes I do wonder though, If this is indeed still an MMO when I fly around on a continent that wasn't designed to be seen from above and feel as though I am the only soul for miles around.

I do like the convenience of flying mounts. Just how I like the convenience of the dungeon finder tools. Does this make the game better or worse?.. Not really for me to say.

Flying mounts have their pros and cons imo, but I do think it would be a very bad idea to remove them from this game. However, If a new MMO was to be release that took over WoW's place for me, I would hope that it did not feature flying mounts.
Go play GW2. No mounts at all there
I just think they should increase the cost of the flight training so, among lower level characters, flying will still be somewhat rare if you dont have a wealthy main.
I dont understand how blizz can say they dislike flying mounts when they have just released a new one on the Blizzard Store. IMO they can't complian how they never wanted to have flying mounts when the actively charge £17 per mount. Seems to be a problem untill they make money from it!
I ran till I was 40, rocked a dog-slow 60% mount till I could afford the price of a 100% a LONG time after I hit 60, then slogged to afford my first flyer once TBC came out. Take my flyers and there will be blood.
Mostly from my feet. :(
OP you won't find many who agree with you at this point. The game is too far gone and people are too used to their luxury to want to let it go.

Though it would be difficult to implement now that so many zones have been designed with flying mounts in mind.

Also what do you say to those people who have spent months farming flying mounts only to have them been taken away? They won't be too happy me thinks.

Yea. I agree after having spent 10000+ gold on flying i would not like to just lose it for no other reason that a few dont like it
16/01/2013 11:21Posted by Icyunvme
how about that we cant use them in azeroth? just like tbc/wotlk?? we can only use them In pandraia/northrend/outland / cata zones

That is just lame.
Since you don't get flying until 60, you've already done the content prior to Outlands so flying in those zones you've already completed the quests in WHILE ON FOOT is not really a problem is it? Most people who fly around those zones are either trying to level up their professions by gathering herbs, ore or even doing the archie sites. Others may be high levels reacting to attacks on lowbie zones by enemies and looking for a bit of world PVP. Either way, they're over 60 if they are flying so removing flying from those zones only inconveniences them and has absolutely zero benefit to anyone.
Flying mounts are bad, yes but the game is designed around them now.
It's a deal-with-it situation I am afraid.

However as far as PvP goes things need to change, like yesterday. Using direct attacks against other players has to prevent mounting of flying mounts for some time. They claimed they wanted to bring back world PvP, yet flying mounts completely destroy world PvP and they are not doing anything to really bring it back. (Stuff like the new pvp daily area in 5.2 are a good thing but we need a flying mount fix for world PvP everywhere...)
In favour of flying mounts.

The only thing I truly dislike about them is that they give exploration points
if you fly over a spot, that should have been kept for ground mounts/foot,
since flying over a spot isn't really exploring it.

This I can agree with. Other than that though, I really don't understand why people would want them removed. If you don't like them, don't use them.
06/02/2013 00:47Posted by Coriandra
If you don't like them, don't use them.

Because its like a fair few things that forum moaners complain about. Its not enough that they have the option to not use them. They want everyone else to be forced into the playstyle that they want.
16/01/2013 02:32Posted by Pherian
How about... if you don't want to use a mount... then dont...

Would work if everyone wasn't already used to the convenience. I am absolutely 100% for removing flying mounts in the content of upcoming patches/expansions. Flying mounts killed the immersiveness of WoW, as there is zero risk at all times. Playing WoW should be an experience that includes the feeling of relatively constant danger, like it used to be. Almost everything spontaneous that happens in WoW that isn't on an RP realm happens on the ground while navigating around. Not being certain of what happens next is what made the game so extremely immersive, and now everyone just presses mount -> space -> forward and can ignore precisely everything the game offers.
Tbqh, the only change I want to see to the way flying mounts work are :

Let me use them levelling in pandaria - its so weird flying around the cata zones then being grounded.

Let me use them while dead in pandaria - again, can do in other places, should be able to here.

Flying mounts are one of those things. You add a convenience, you cannot then remove it without outcry. They take away pensioners bus passes, and people will be out campaigning in the streets. It's a similar thing. The mounts have become a quality of life issue. It's different than say removing an item upgrader, because while thats annoying, thats not something you do subconciously like using the flying mounts.
However as far as PvP goes things need to change, like yesterday. Using direct attacks against other players has to prevent mounting of flying mounts for some time. They claimed they wanted to bring back world PvP, yet flying mounts completely destroy world PvP and they are not doing anything to really bring it back. (Stuff like the new pvp daily area in 5.2 are a good thing but we need a flying mount fix for world PvP everywhere...)

Mounted combat?
The ability for all classes to cast long range dismounts? (longer range than normal spells.)