Using flying mounts in water

General
Ever since I started playing this game, like a month ago, I loved every aspect of it - from leveling, questing, dungeoning to occasional PvP combat. Then I got my first flying mount in Outland and after a while of using it as a primary mount I was stunned to see that it can - fly underwater! Yep, that's right, my bird flies both above and under sea level :)
Of course, landing into water while on a flying mount was my "fault", but I honestly expected it to automatically dismount or something.
Anyway, I was just wandering why is it that people can use flying mounts underwater?
Well technically they're not "flying" but rather "swimming", perhaps with flying animations idk, but still :)
Not all flying mounts can swim though.
08/01/2013 20:55Posted by Kargon

Indeed.

Disc of the Red Flying Cloud being one of them.
Most animals can swim, even the flying ones.
Mind you, the gnomish flying machine should not work underwater.

Several of them even have specific swimming animations.
08/01/2013 20:49Posted by Leapin
Well technically they're not "flying" but rather "swimming", perhaps with flying animations idk, but still :)

That's true, but it's still kind of an annoyance to see a bird spread out it's wings and "fly" through water. I'd rather if it would just auto-dismount when getting into water.

08/01/2013 20:55Posted by Kargon

Yeah, I read somewhere that Flying Carpet gets all wet and dismounts :)
08/01/2013 20:47Posted by Archtania
Of course, landing into water while on a flying mount was my "fault", but I honestly expected it to automatically dismount or something.

Alll mounts (even land ones) used to dismount the moment you got in water (even if it wasn't all that deep), but I guess they deemed it very irritating. Pandaren Kite mounts seem buggy though or just don't have underwater animations and dismount if you go into the water.

Alll mounts (even land ones) used to dismount the moment you got in water (even if it wasn't all that deep), but I guess they deemed it very irritating.

They should've left it like that or make proper animations for certain mounts. Or even make it so that non-underwater mounts make you slower than if you were swimming, idk. I guess not everything's perfect, huh? :)
Cloud Serpents have a different animation for swimming. I can't think of any other flying mount types that do though, perhaps there are and someone could enlighten me!
I know the Winged Guardian doggy-paddles underwater. I think Imperial Quilien does too. Not sure what Tyrael's charger do.
Heart of the Aspects swims like a crocolisk. I assume the cloud seprents use the same animation. Would make sense with their body being very similar.

The Netherdrakes dismount you. Don't remember what the gryphons and manticores do.
Theuir new versions likely have swimming animations.
Unsure about Wrath era drakes and proto-drakes.
08/01/2013 20:59Posted by Mashaad

*Sends note to New Tinkertown to have this issue fixed.*
09/01/2013 01:00Posted by Deeatal
Unsure about Wrath era drakes and proto-drakes.

They don't swim at all.
Ah! But there's one mount that won't swim at all, it is the druid's flight form!

I always found it more fun to dismount in the air anyway. I like to fall that one meter before landing on my feet :).
09/01/2013 01:17Posted by Zazkya

Would probably be easier to make the gnomish submarine able to fly instead. :P
Back in the mists of time if you were on a ground mount and it entered water
you were dismounted.

I have a vague memory of complaints about that happening and at some
point it was changed. If you consider being in a BG on a ground mount it
was a disadvantage to be dismounted.

I assume that flying mounts swimming was a development of that.
Ever since I started playing this game, like a month ago, I loved every aspect of it - from leveling, questing, dungeoning to occasional PvP combat. Then I got my first flying mount in Outland and after a while of using it as a primary mount I was stunned to see that it can - fly underwater! Yep, that's right, my bird flies both above and under sea level :)
Anyway, I was just wandering why is it that people can use flying mounts underwater?

There used to be a time where you weren't even able to mount in water and you had to swim to the ground to mount up. They have kept making the game easier in every possible aspect to draw new players aka you in since back then in vanilla/tbc it was a bit nerdy and a lot harder than now, even something as simple as leveling.
It is indeed a funny sight, however I've another example of flight that can't go underwater: Druid Flight Forms. If we try touch the water, we just nose dive and stay there perpetually pecking the sea. Plus, we can't use it underwater. The most annoying part is when you jump out of the water and try to use your flight form, only to keep getting a message saying "you need to be out of the water in order to activate this form". Still, it's pretty cool seeing some mounts underwater ^^

09/01/2013 01:30Posted by Deeatal

Would probably be easier to make the gnomish submarine able to fly instead. :P

If this was the "200 Mounts" mount reward, I'd be more than happy ^^
09/01/2013 07:10Posted by Zeus
even something as simple as leveling.

Yeah. 1-60 back in the day took at least 5 times the time it takes 1-90 now.
[quote="62969550506"]That's true, but it's still kind of an annoyance to see a bird spread out it's wings and "fly" through water. I'd rather if it would just auto-dismount when getting into water.

Which is exactly what penguins do IRL.
Or, better yet, give us more underwater mounts!