Cynicism

General
Today on alliance Emerald Dream there came by the topic of asking GMs for help. I remarked that if you really want a GM to help you, you have to be persistant and 'bully' the GM into helping you. Another person remarked that this was "crying".

I didn't know what to say at the time but after thinking about it I realized it was just another form or appearance of the ugly thing called cynicism.

Most players in WoW have grown cynical, and certainly most visitors and contributors on these here forums have grown very cynical. Quite cynical.

Cynicism is when you have repeatedly experienced that your positive intentions and attitudes did not yield any worthwile results or experiences and so you've grown to conclude that the positive attitudes themselves are stupid, they are at fault, they are foolish, and you are a fool for thinking that "trying" or "complaining" or "speaking up" or "doing your best" would be a smart or rewarding course of action. Just relent. Give in. Give up. Accept that circumstances won't change no matter how hard you try.

People here in WoW are cynical primarily because their efforts at getting heard by Blizzard have been frustrated. As a new player you try to communicate. You try to get your concerns known. You are a paying customer, so you expect that the company will hear you out. You expect that you will be treated like a valuable customer - the way they say.

Instead Blizzard reportedly has a policy of NOT communicating and this is certainly my experience and that of most other players, I'm sure. If you have a complaint, you can, these days, either file a bug report or a suggestion. Blizzard will never get back at you.

If you report another player for violations, Blizzard will never get back at you.

If you post your concerns on the forums, in most cases, in virtually all cases, Blizzard will not get back at you. In fact, a GM once told me that Blizzard has decided somewhere in the past that they were not going to respond on these forums anymore. Instead, they would solely communicate via the blog. That's right, the blog. A perfect one-way communication medium that means Blizzard will, never get back at you.
09/01/2013 00:16Posted by Lestele
Today on alliance Emerald Dream there came by the topic of asking GMs for help. I remarked that if you really want a GM to help you, you have to be persistant and 'bully' the GM into helping you. Another person remarked that this was "crying".

Or maybe be more patient ?
The few times I needed help I was contacted within a few hours to a day at max.
You really think this is about the wait time between making a ticket and getting the response?
09/01/2013 00:36Posted by Lestele
You really think this is about the wait time between making a ticket and getting the response?

Does it matter what the main topic is ?
You mentioned it, I quoted it, I replied to it.
If you're gonna respond to offtopic issues that the OP didn't talk about, be my guest, but don't expect to be ...well.... on topic.
09/01/2013 00:47Posted by Lestele
If you're gonna respond to offtopic issues that the OP didn't talk about, be my guest, but don't expect to be ...well.... on topic.

Since I quoted it the OP clearly mentioned it.
Really, I don't get it.
You go out of your way to mention it.
I respond to it,
you make some issue out of it.
It also seemed to lead into the rest of the OP,
so it would clearly be of some importance.
We're just roleplaying. Settle down.
09/01/2013 00:52Posted by Ravness
We're just roleplaying. Settle down.

Are you adressing me ?
Roleplaying ? So you people were roleplaying complaining about GMs ?
People don't usualy mention out of world things like GMs in their roleplay.
Let me explain. The part you quoted was about what happens when the GM responds to your ticket. It was not about wait times. It was about the chat that follows.
09/01/2013 00:58Posted by Lestele
Let me explain. The part you quoted was about what happens when the GM responds to your ticket. It was not about wait times. It was about the chat that follows.

Okay, I understand.
Now, why didn't you just mention that earlier. :-)

(Was misunderstanding, solved).
09/01/2013 00:58Posted by Zazkya
you people were roleplaying complaining about GMs ?

Yes, problem?
Ravness is trolling.
09/01/2013 01:01Posted by Ravness
you people were roleplaying complaining about GMs ?

Yes, problem?

Yes, you.