Don't go to Goldshire...

Role-Playing
(background - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnLe64VXYkk)

The video show's a US server, but Argent Dawn EU RP realm is exactly the same if not more intense.

My question is, why does sex feature so heavily in RP servers?

We must be honest, a lot of it is just down right creepy.

Thoughts?

p.s. I have wondered why Goldshire became the place to go?

It's all very odd.
(background - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnLe64VXYkk)

The video show's a US server, but Argent Dawn EU RP realm is exactly the same if not more intense.

My question is, why does sex feature so heavily in RP servers?

We must be honest, a lot of it is just down right creepy.

Thoughts?

It's all very odd.

Cybering is for the teens that think making your own dream sexy character and pair it with someone elses character, and fap to the qonsuquences is better then real sex.

And Goldshire simply was closest to the human starting area, while close to Stormwind aswell. Because, simpy the majority of ERPers durig vanilla was humans.
15/01/2013 18:19Posted by Málthus
why does sex feature

The same reason sex features to heavily in the media.

BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE STUPID AS....

Yeah, just incredibly stupid.

Peoples mind is fixated on other peoples sexuality, peoples mind are fixated on, how wrong that kind of sexuality is, or that kind of sexuality is, or how that sex position is just weird or whatever.

People, and especially world of warcraft players, are so messed up, that they feel the need to, the desire to, the strange lust to bother about other peoples things. They are a bunch of childs going around asking "WHY... WHY.... WHY.... WHY!" to every. single. thing.

Sex is featured a lot, because that is where people decide to put their focus for some reason, people like to delve into another persons private life, people love it, especially younger people like Lydia, or other.

I don't care why Goldshire became the place to go, what I care about, is the weird interest people have in the ERP'ers. Why such an interest? Why such a weird obsession? Why feel the need to bash anything that is not normal to them?

It is like bashing !@#$%^-*!@ity, or any kind of sex not happening in missionary position. It is freaking, text based sex, like sextexting (sex with sms's) or phone-sex.

I never learn to understand fellow, human beings :(
It's basicly interactive sexual literature with your own character and ideas being in the plot in case of ERP (since many people insist on the difference being stated) and merely something nice to look at at times of sexual relief in case of cybering.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Thank you for everyone's responses so far, I really appreciate it.

I had to go and make a char on Argent Dawn a few months back just to see what all the fuss was about.

People are labelled as ERP'ers? Which I've just learned means Erotic Role Player.

I guess my problem with it, if you can call it that, is that there's nothing "erotic" about what goes on AT ALL. It just seems to be very seedy with heavily creepy undertones.

I'd think it was actually quite cool/fun if it was based upon real RP'ing, with a build up formed on top of a real relationship... But it's not, it's just creepy old men (I imagine).

What's also very strange to me is that people don't seem to care in any way who is behind the keyboard... People don't care if they are male or female, young or old, what nationality they are, etc. This could lead to some problems.
Some people have that build up, others don't.

The fact that people do not care about who may be behind the other PC, is because they refuse to know, because they want to RP, or simply because they do not care because it is RP.

The only people you may find actually caring deeply or even wants to know, are the lollers who are around. They are also the only people who actually end up yelling out disturbing stuff and doing disturbing emotes in Goldshire, not the ERP'ers themselves, kinda ironic.
In my mind ERP is the proper erotic roleplay where there's some build up between the characters ICly, generally higher-quality roleplay too. Cybering is just sex with strangers in Goldshire, no build up and no thought put into the characters themselves.

While I don't really care about other people doing stuff, you do need to keep in mind that by not knowing who's behind the keyboard, you -could- be cybering with someone underage, and that really isn't on at all, I mean this -is- a 12+ game, if you wanna do it, make sure you know who you're playing with. Also keep it in private channels, public cybering will get you banned.
What's also very strange to me is that people don't seem to care in any way who is behind the keyboard... People don't care if they are male or female, young or old, what nationality they are, etc. This could lead to some problems.

Certainly, but there is an ancient debate there. People who engage each other in Cybering and both actively contribute to it, both accept it and agree to it. If you don't want it, you can ignore another player or turn your PC off. People who cyber together didn't do so, so both accept it.

Regarding not knowing who's behind the keyboard... I've more or less deducted that this would be due to people who cyber together are in a way familiar and also hanging from the same string.. They both accept and agree to this, which many label to be disgusting and wrong, and both agree to it. This means they can find a familiar idea in each other - both have sexual desires/fantasies they want to act out, both have the same sort of 'pervy' mind and aren't judging each other on it, as they both have it.

Along with that, punishment for them (should they have the chance to get punished) is the same, and I believe both think they'll experience it the same. If one side isn't up for the punishment, (s)he'll believe the other side isn't aswell, so (s)he won't tell anything to anyone and whatever they do keeps private and nobody else has to know.

A faint sense of danger which gets erased by a sort of familiar feeling of safety of being with a person who is like you. Almost a description for your dream wife/husband - familiar, likes what you like and keeps you safe. Thus, a perfect atmosphere for sexual encounters, where both forget any idea of realism with their partner, it could be two 40 year old guys in underpants for all they know - but they only see that one character on the screen and read the chat. Both know they have something in common, both know where they stand, together, and in this almost perfect atmosphere reality becomes redundant.

On the other side however, legal systems become involved, for when one (or both) of the parties are underaged. Now, in this case, I do believe the same applies as I have mentioned above for both parties. However, the third party, who's outside of the actual act and merely sees/hears it, will judge it a lot heavier if it is against the law and standard morals than when it's fine with everything. This is a change from "Oh, that's just nasty dude" to "That's illegal and I could sue you for this you sicko!"
15/01/2013 19:47Posted by Málthus
People are labelled as ERP'ers? Which I've just learned means Erotic Role Player

There is actually a difference between ERP and Cybering/Goldshire:

The former is part of a character's plot for people who want to do that rather than fade to black. The primary motivation is roleplay however.

The latter is just cyber s(beep) for the sake of 'getting off'.

15/01/2013 18:19Posted by Málthus

I'm guessing because it's right next to the human starting area as well as Stormwind.
I have yet to see !@#$ in Goldshire on Defias Brotherhood...

...But I'm sure it's happening.

Some people consider erotic encounters to be an important part of their role-play and their characters development, some people'll just do it for the SEXUAL THRILL. Either way, if it's not your thing, you best just stay out of it's way. It's not hard to avoid, and if you catch it, you can always report or ignore them if need be.
There is actually a difference between ERP and Cybering/Goldshire:

The former is part of a character's plot for people who want to do that rather than fade to black. The primary motivation is roleplay however.

The latter is just cyber s(beep) for the sake of 'getting off'.

To be fair, people who (semi-)regularly ERP, and going all the way through with it, it's pretty obvious that they aren't -just- doing it for their character's sake. I mean I know ERP has a lot more substance to it than cybering, but you're still ultimately doing it to 'get off'.
15/01/2013 19:29Posted by Merad
why does sex feature

The same reason sex features to heavily in the media.

BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE STUPID AS....

Yeah, just incredibly stupid.

Peoples mind is fixated on other peoples sexuality, peoples mind are fixated on, how wrong that kind of sexuality is, or that kind of sexuality is, or how that sex position is just weird or whatever.

People, and especially world of warcraft players, are so messed up, that they feel the need to, the desire to, the strange lust to bother about other peoples things. They are a bunch of childs going around asking "WHY... WHY.... WHY.... WHY!" to every. single. thing.

Its biology I healty man/woman NEED to have lust other way there will be no humans around , Why is it soo comont in media , internet , becouse ppl have LUST if there is a demand there will be supply . Is it wrong or bad ... its hard to judge it is just like with alkohol it is unhelthy but if you know what are you doing its OK to drink right ?
Some interesting replies here and it's nice to see it hasn't turned into an argument!

I've also been to Argent Dawn EU, made a level 1 alt and wandered down to Goldshire to see what was going on.

It was indeed very strange. I walked into the Inn too see it FULL of players.

The strange thing though, was that 99% of the players were stood still/sat down, with nobody chatting publicly.

It basically looked like a large amount of players all AFK in the same spot.

I assume everybody is simply whispering each other?

I also found it quite entertaining the way everyone was slow walking instead of running, I guess that this is an attempt to add to the realism.

I have no problem with what goes on, but it just doesn't have any class to it at all, in my opinion.

I mean, standing in a very public place blatantly /w with another player in an erotic manner seems very odd.... I'd at least find somewhere private! haha :-)
I mean, standing in a very public place blatantly /w with another player in an erotic manner seems very odd.... I'd at least find somewhere private! haha :-)

I'd reckon the fact that it's public actually contributes to the scene, as I have stated somewhat less obvious in my previous post:
A faint sense of danger which gets erased by a sort of familiar feeling of safety of being with a person who is like you.

The chances of getting caught, other players that see you and suspect you... it adds a sort of 'thrilling of the hunt', with lack of a better description. :)

Now, on the topic of realism, as you made out that you don't find any class in merely whispering and that the slower walking might be an attempt to add some realism: I do not think that 'realism' has anything to do with it, even more so if you come to think of it that engaging into a virtual reality might also be done to deny actual reality and problems that a person encounters there, such as selfhate and shyness over his/her emotions and fantasies, while those things vanish when you meet someome to cyber with ingame, as you get the familiar feeling, such as I stated in my previous post aswell:
Regarding not knowing who's behind the keyboard... I've more or less deducted that this would be due to people who cyber together are in a way familiar and also hanging from the same string.. They both accept and agree to this, which many label to be disgusting and wrong, and both agree to it. This means they can find a familiar idea in each other - both have sexual desires/fantasies they want to act out, both have the same sort of 'pervy' mind and aren't judging each other on it, as they both have it.

Thus, there's no need for that much realism, also taking into account that this virtual and literal playground has no bounds, so even the most extreme and unrealistic fantasies can be acted out.

I personally find it quite fascinating, the sober and open ways that ERPers/Cyberers have to deal with other, similiar people and (extreme) controversial subjects, as if they are as normal to talk about as politics. You may think what you want about it, but I don't think anyone can deny that it's quite an impressive, and perhaps even good feat, that as compared to real life people have found a place/way to be so open to natural feelings that have been pretty much been bashed and stomped into the ground since forever for some different reasons. (And I blame religion for the most part here, but not gonna go on with that, might cause an argument. Each his own in who to blame or accuse.)
I have yet to see !@#$ in Goldshire on Defias Brotherhood......But I'm sure it's happening.

It doesnt really happen on Defias Brotherhood as much as it does on Argent Dawn. Occasionaly things like these happen in Silvermoon DB, but most of the time it is not done out in the streets but rather in some private room hence not being public.

Personally Im not too fussed about this - while it might give me a laugh or shudder (which I keep to myself), it essentially isnt my business whether they want to RP a Night Elven Sentinel or some overhormoned rabbit.