Basic Guide: How to make gold in WoW!

Professions
Heya, I'm Pondato, gold making is a troublesome thing for many people, you are broke and it cripples your ability to have fun, following some easy steps you can with some effort afford all those enchants and gear you Always wanted:

1. Spend less gold. Do you NEED this weapon for 10k gold on the auction house? or is it just a slight improvement that isn't Worth it? Spending less means you need to earn less which allows more time to do what you really Think is fun in the game!

2. Make more gold. While not spending as much makes you richer, having a good stable income is equally important. put some time(not too Little, not too much, what you feel is comfortable) every day you log in farming something, it could be cloth, leather, ore, herbs, transmogrification items, lots of grey items to vendor(from big packs of mobs or instances), greens to disenchant, crafting low level gear with farmed materials and disenchanting it for profit, buying lesser items and making them into a stronger more valued item, like leather scraps to leather, and so on.

3. Have fun and keep relaxed! This is very important, sitting for two hours farming herbs in elwynn forest can get tedious, slap on some Music, take breaks, do a dungeon after a while then go back, explore new places to farm trade goods, being creative in goldmaking really pays of, if you love fishing go fish some crates(you see them in lakes if you fly a bit), they contains boxes with items that has quite big values etc.

4. If you really need something and have worked hard for it, spend some on it! Getting that Epic flying mount, that awesome looking armor or even being able to transform into a dragon after those hard working hours give so much satisfaction!

5. Remember it is a game, getting worked up over gold or anything else is just preventing you from having fun, remember there is Always tomorrow and if your items did not sell or something bad happened, learn from it and get back up and try again! Winning is about keeping going!

6. Professions fitting together nicely are herbalism + mining(farming the same way), Skinning is often recommended together with Leatherworking but it's easier just sticking to skinning and mining, Selling the raw materials is far easier than crafting, although crafting is very good if you get the hang of it. Alchemy works well with (high end alchemy) JC, JC is good since you can cut the gems you make, which often got a higher value than the raw ones.

Mining and Blacksmithing is also very good, gather the materials yourself for free and Craft expensive armor. Engineering is very good for Vanity/PvP, though hard to make lots of steady gold of. Inscription works really well with herbalism, but preferably you got several characters, you want to gather herbs and go mining on the same character, so keep one for mining/herbing and the others for the other professions. Preferably have a Death Knight or Paladin as a mining/herber since you fly faster. For easy farming get the addons gathermate2 and routes, allowing you to see the nodes and follow a line on your minimap.

Recommended Items to make/gather:

1. Very low level or highest level herbs/ore/bars/leather, people starting professions and tycoons using high end mats to Craft items are a huge market, getting copper ore/bars, peacebloom, silverleaf, earthroot, and Light leather are while low price very certain to sell rapidly, as well as Ghost Iron ore/bars, trillium, green tea leafs, exotic leathers and so on.

2. High end crafting(requires a lot of knowledge and Money to invest in to make profit, don't begin with this if you are new to gold making, begin farming and then when you got a big chunk of gold you can experiment, don't risk it all though), crafting Epic items at level 90 can yield several k gold or even tens of k gold, making it for 10k and sell for 20k and so on. Risky business, so be careful.

3. Mid-level ore/herbs/metal bars/leather
Not so many people realize this is a huge income maker, lots of people need these items like for example iron, steel, mithril, kingsblood, Liferoot, medium/Heavy/thick/rugged leather etc. for crafting and leveling professions fast, and not so many people are dedicatedly farming it, decent demand and very low supply.

4. Transmogrification items. WARNING; EXTREMELY RISKY AND YOUR ITEMS MAY NOT SELL OR SELL EXTREMELY SLOWLY DEPENDING ON SERVER ECONOMY AND SIMILAR THINGS. It can net some serious gold though, farming low level areas/instances for green items with cool looks, picking up several items per hour(depending on luck) and Selling them for hundreds of gold or even thousands, can be very lucrative if you know what you are doing.

5. Running dungeons as a high level character picking up ALL items that drop in the dungeon. If you want extremely safe and steady gold incomes, this is your thing.
fly to a dungeon, preferably a high level one, and be good geared and preferably level 90. Enter the dungeon, gather up a lot of mobs and aoe them down, then you can mass loot them, dont damage any tho, any dieing far from the mass is often missed when looting, pick up ALL the items, use an addon like crapaway to automatically sell gray items at a vendor, reset the dungeon and go in again.

This also give lots of greens, cloth and other items that are decently valuable. If you want, sell it at the vendor for safe income, but if you want to risk it go put it on the auction house, green items can easily go for 20-40g each, having 50 greens means 1-2k gold, and it goes fast to farm(maybe you get 20 per hour), also the grey items give tons of gold in the long run, 50 silver per mob and 100 mobs per run means 50g per run that takes 15 mins, that means you earn 200g per hour from pure junk.

This is my basic gold guide, if you want further guides i strongly recommend visiting tarouwowguides.com or googling how to make gold in wow, there are tons of free guides out there from beginner to expert, internet is your friend, use it and roll in the cash!

If you have any questions, just reply to this thread, I will check it, and try to give my help, if you like it thumbs up and request sticky! If you don't, I'd love to hear what I can improve to make this guide even better!

- Pondato

Edited: Thanks for the feedback Caci! And thanks for the feedback to all of you, improved the guide now!
I highly recommend stormspire.net
Maybe you should include some basic strategies? Like what proffs goes well together, also I'll just add that if you dont play alot of toons and feel the need for spending much gold, running a few old raids like bwl, mc and AQ40 will give you a few minipets that can sell for 1-3k on my server, should be enough to keep you floating
Buy low, sell high. Farming is for dummies.
My advice for people who want to mess around on the AH is never panic, panic selling is bad. Just because something is a good/bad price does not mean it will stay that way.

Never put all your eggs into 1 basket, don't go for big scores unless you can afford to wait on it for a few days.

Learn your market well, what type of players by your stuff and when, typically Wednesdays are high trade days but other things might seller better on weekends or even before reset. Ie enchants/gems/flasks sell well on raid/pvp resets but things like battle pets, twinkling gear /leveling gear might sell well on weekends.
Farming herb/mining/skinning is not where the big cash is.
Learn your market well, what type of players by your stuff and when, typically Wednesdays are high trade days but other things might seller better on weekends or even before reset. Ie enchants/gems/flasks sell well on raid/pvp resets but things like battle pets, twinkling gear /leveling gear might sell well on

This is what you need to do.
Buy cheap, resell is also a good method.
And if you have a wide variety of items, you will more likely sell than if you have one type of item.
It would be nice if you might could add what´s actually selling well. For instance,

I came back after a break and have Inscription as a profession. I am only at 150 but I have some serious trouble getting gold for my glyphs.

It seems like nobody needs them :D no matter how cheap I put them in the AH. I cut others by 80% but nothing sells :(

Is it better to sell the flowers instead?

But that's not about me, but in general maybe add a list of things that sell good.

Is there any fish that sells good?
It would be nice if you might could add what´s actually selling well. For instance,

I came back after a break and have Inscription as a profession. I am only at 150 but I have some serious trouble getting gold for my glyphs.

It seems like nobody needs them :D no matter how cheap I put them in the AH. I cut others by 80% but nothing sells :(

But that's not about me, but in general maybe add a list of things that sell good.

It all depends on your server, and how much you time you spend on reposting

Whether your realm is PvP, RP or PvE the prices will vart. On Outland a Sha Crystal could go for up to 440g and here on Draenor it is barely 260g.

Yes, I had Inscription before but dropped it because nothing would sell or make so little that there were no visible profit. I suggest you to drop it as soon as possible if you are planning to make gold because if the is big supplies of glyphs and shoulder enchants that sells for 70g or less then you will make no visible profit if a stack of MoP herbs sells for around 34g (from experience on Outland Alliance as a scribe).

I found JC/Tailoring and Enchanting/and gathering peofession (Mining would be best to supply Ore for Prospecting purposes) to make profits up to 5k a day you will need a lot of Ghost Iron Ore and time for the JC+Tailoring+Enchanting shuffle, you should look it up but you will need to farm Windwool Cloth or buy them for 25g a stack (if Ethereal Shards sells for 50g there's a 20g profit) but you are going to need any Dreadful Cloak recipe in order to make atleast 20g profit.

If you have time to chat some time in the further I can give you my best advice but I don't want to reveal them to everyone. D: Then I'd loose a lot of money. :(
Aw thanks guys, I am not really in need of gold - not that I have much but ya I get along ^^.

But its interesting to hear that inscription really doesn't seem to be such a "good" profession for money making.
All my chars have a prof that fits to their RP story, so I cant "delete" this now and switch but I believe my Mage wont earn the money in the family then *laughs*.

Thanks for the tips :)
1Buy mounts cheap and sell expensive.
You can make 1-300k every month by spamding a few mins in trade doing this if you find the right seller.

2Buy stuff from chinese goldfarmers cheap and put them on ah works to.

3. craft stuff when new expansion comes or new patch.
how can you sale a dragon on this game
i need gold pless for changho level 27

That's because atm you can only craft Trainer learned glyphs, this means that every other scribe on your realm can make them, everyone skilling up inscription will also craft your same glyphs. Thus these kind of glyphs sell for very low amount and aren't probably the most useful neither.
As soon as you can, start doing your daily researches and consider buying some Book of Glyphs Mastery to faster the process, on my realm these "random discovered" glyphs can sell up to 500g/each.
Is it possible to sell ores and more for much money if you are Miner?
Buy low, sell high. Farming is for dummies.

Farming is not only an extremely effective, reliable way to make gold, it's essential to the stability and health of any wow economy.

Rather than bashing farmers while you sit at the AH 20 hours a day, the least you could do is be grateful. They're helping you more than you know.